Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-13-2017, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2017, 07:33 PM by Jendayi.)

her heaven is only half alive
i fell asleep in his, but he could not breathe in mine
The cold chill awoke Jendayi; some great upheavel of wintry wind stirred about her shallow and makeshift den, causing her to shiver. Claws gripped into the soft mossy firmament, thick icy fur unable to bare away the chill that usually came with such an altitude. The land was achingly quiet except for the howling of the wind, and the sky was so choked in white mist that Jendayi had long been unable to tell whether it was day or night. She was hungry, malnourished enough to crave even the thought of food yet not strong enough to get it yet. Each time she had tried to leave the den, she would be ripped around by the intense winds; whenever the winds died down, she could only leave so far before the fog would erase her steps. The scent was so thick of snow and the land so seemingly flat and so empty. Even the flower laid atop her crown had frozen over, and pieces of the petals fell away like nimble ice chips. Oftentimes the dreadful thought am I going to die here? crossed her mind, but Jendayi often reminded herself things were not nearly as dire as they seemed to be. She was hungry, but likewise, she was strong.

Eventually, the wind stopped itself enough to allow some heat to filter through. It no longer blew snowflakes harshly into her face and her eyes, and left the world almost eerily still. She had abandoned most of the things she had brought with her (some pelts to keep the cold ground warm to sleep on, and the bones of prey she had caught and eaten before coming here), and continued to press on. Paws wet with wintry chill and long beginning to freeze over treaded slowly through the slush. The promises of warmer weather tickled her thoughts and curled about her cheeks like unfurling claws, guiding her in any direction toward them. Long had the delusions of hunger and sleeplessness begin to settle, and what felt like miles of walking had turned only to be large circles (and thankfully so, given the dangerous terrain Jendayi knew not of yet). Her focus had shifted from the careful ground to the bleakness ahead, falling so delicately into the land’s machinating trap. What seemed like an endless horizon soon turned downward, and the firm earth underneath Jendayi’s front paws soon became nothing but air.

Her hind paws scrambled desperately, but soon her weight toppled forward and she plunged into the gaping trench; a loud cry exhaled from her jaws and echoed against the steep walls of the canyon. Seconds turned to hours, and her dreadful thoughts returned to her: I’m going to die, I’m going to die, I’m going to die. She closed her eyes, and felt her front paws just barely catch the unstable rock a few meters down from the top. The lightness from her hunger allowed herself to hold desperately on, fed by the adrenaline violently coursing through her veins, but that same starvation hindered Jendayi’s strength, and caused her paws to begin sleeping. She allowed herself one final surrender of looking down, and was met with nothing but darkness, and a certain demise. Without waiting to help herself, to consider her options (for there was no time, truly), she quickly called out indiscriminately—for anything, for anyone: “Help! Help me, please!” This is it. This is the end of it all.

code & art by lynx

Torin

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
12-13-2017, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 01:41 PM by Torin.)

What was he doing so far north? So far from packlands? Hell if he knew. Torin had found that as much as he was dedicated to following his brother and Frostbite around as part of his rank he was also desperate for an escape sometimes. So the boy had started ranging, further and further with each trip it seemed. A giant mountainous formation rose up in the distance as Torin picked his way cautiously along the pristine field of white. His ears were perked and he felt a sort of dread at just how untouched the snow was. Surely it couldn’t just be because it was new? There were no track of prey and indeed there was little scent to the air except the wet, harshness of winter. Did they know something he didn’t? That worry sat like a pit in his stomach. And it was only about to get worse.

A cry for help caught his attention and instantly he was filled with adrenaline. He stopped only long enough to determine where the call had come from. Silver paws flew over pristine white as he raced towards the call. Perhaps it was sheer dumb luck that he’d managed to avoid falling into the same trap as the poor victim he was aiming to rescue but it was only a moment longer that Torin was sliding to a halt at the edge of a large crevasse. Realization sunk in then, why no other creatures had traversed the seemingly innocent field.

Dual toned eyes turned downwards to see a female easily his own age, clinging desperately to an outcropping. If he hadn’t had adrenaline coursing through his body he might have been paralyzed, gaping down at her. Instead the cogs in his head were working over time. Instantly he dropped to his stomach, his limbs extending and toes spreading to brace himself. He inched towards the lip of the drop and for a moment tried to meet her terrified gaze.   "I’m gonna have to grab you. This might, hurt. Sorry. " Then he pushed forwards more, extending his neck as far as he could, dulled claws just over the lip. He opened his jaw and tried to grip her scruff in his gaping jaw. He was ready to start frantically back pedalling once he got a grip and fervently hoped the ground wouldn’t give out under his paws as well, or worse that her weight pulled him in as well. Then they’d both truly be done for.

"Silent Treatment" & Deep thoughts

Jendayi

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-13-2017, 08:34 PM

He is her guardian angel; some distant dream sent from the heavens to come and save her—or perhaps he is some cruel play by fate, some twisting grin, some machinating ichor trickled down to taunt her, to give her one last semblance of brief hope before she fell to her demise. She cannot tell if he is real or a ghost, but in her desperation she does not care. Hind paws fight fiercely the sides of the cliff-face, kicking loose rocks that echo hauntingly as they tumble into the endless ether below. The sounds were a terrible tinnitus, a prequel to the fate she would certainly meet if her paws continued to slip. She grasped on desperately, limbs aching underneath the weight of the rest of her body and claws steadily failing to keep the grip. Her pawpads skidded against the harsh and small cliff, and soon, even that would not be strong enough to sustain her weight. It is then when he arrives, in all his glory, and golden eyes stare wildly upwards at him—shrouded in some pale light, worry etched onto his face and so perfectly alive. He reaches down, and Jendayi feels almost the urge to reach her paw forward, to brush it against his muzzle, so that she may know he is real, and he is here to help her (what odd things desperation will drive in you, especially a woman so stoic, so steeled). She opens her mouth to speak, but finds no words capable of this moment.

She reaches forward as he lowers himself, but the strain on her muscles is far too much, and easily begins to falter. The ledge that supports her weight is slowly beginning to falter, and suddenly, there is an ache—a tremble, a snap, and the ledge falls away underneath her. But through the haze of her fear she feels teeth grasp onto flesh, and she does not quite fall. Her paws made contact with the broken wall where the ledge once was, but now, she is within the grasp of the man above her—but even he has his limits. With the support of his own strength and the quick work of claws scaling up the wall as best a frightened wolf could, Jendayi was heaved over the side of the trench and pulled into the safety of the soft snow. She finally begins to breathe—and she almost feels the overwhelming urge to consulve where she stood. She only stopped, perhaps, out of some subconscious consideration of the man beside her, as if she’d need to keep her manners, even after such a close brush with death. “Ah…I…thank you,” she breathed, turning her golden gaze to look upon him.

Her fur is disheveled now, and the flower nestled in her ear long gone crooked and broken in half from its frozen state. She is skinny, and frail—the usual curve of her belly lost to starvation and the luster of her winter coat thinned and cold. She is, in the best manner, unhealthy. But she does not care. She cannot care, for her mind is choked with thoughts of what could have been—and what short a tragic story her life would be. You saved me, she wanted to say, but found the words far too heavy to speak them and feel it would be enough. An aching subconscious began to tear away at the back of her mind, and Jendayi finds her gaze faltering, growing far more blurry…

code & art by lynx

Torin

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
12-13-2017, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 01:41 PM by Torin.)

She was falling! Oh God! He felt his stomach drop out even as she started to plummet. Then his jaw snapped around flesh and with a grunt he pulled back, his eyes screwing shut as he scrambled to retreat. It felt like a lifetime before he finally made some headway. The pair finally managed to get her back on solid ground and Torin released her, collapsing onto his haunches he took a moment to catch his breath. His attention was pulled back up to the unknown woman as she spoke. Still panting the only response she would get would be a quick shake of his head.

The man ran his gaze over her form, she looked bedraggled, more than one might reasonably expect even from a near death experience. She was underfed that much he could tell and to say her pelt was unkempt would have been an understatement. He was about to suggest he find her a meal when he noticed her wavering, her gaze starting to glaze over.

"Hey, Hey!" He rose to his paws, panic once more setting in. He knew if she collapsed now, he’d likely not be able to drag her very far and certainly not safely with the ground under his paws likely to collapse; he also knew she couldn’t be left out here in the snow and the wind. So he did the only thing he could. "I need you to try to stay awake okay?" His baritone was kind but not soft, he needed her awake not lulled into sleep. He moved to stand right next to her, pressing his shoulder to her side to support her weight. He also hoped to share some of his body heat, she was undoubtedly cold.

"Look we can get you a meal and a place to rest but I’m going to need you to help me alright?" He spoke again, trying to get her to meet his gaze. Ideally he’d like to take her all the way to Lirim, he knew she could be looked after there but he doubted she’d make the trek, at least not on an empty stomach. Maybe once she was fed, but they’d cross that bridge when they got to it.

Jendayi

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-14-2017, 12:39 AM

Hey, hey!

The voice is warm. She feels it more than she hears it, and it reverberates in the back of her mind as the rest of the world consigns to a blissful oblivion, a blurry background where everything is out of focus. It speaks as if it does not come from the man before her—it feels detached, ethereal, as if it were without form, without existence. It feels almost like it begins from inside of her, like it is some undying beacon reminding her it’s not over yet. She couldn’t rest, not yet. She couldn’t find peace in slumber, and Torin seemed to know that, too. Yet Jendayi’s body did not want to continue on, and still did she linger in semi-consciousness, letting her thoughts and words run through. Eventually, Jendayi’s grasp on consciousness becomes firmer, and the glaze in her eyes falters. “Nnngh…” she breathes, and her voice is steady, and soft. I need you to stay awake, okay? “Okay,” she responds in the same breathless tone. With her adrenaline dissipated, and her fear long run its course, Jendayi’s exhaustion suddenly crept on her, gnashing at her heels with their sharpened teeth.

She feels his warmth, and curls into it—she tries her hardest to put most of her weight into her own paws, but cannot help but seek the lukewarmth of his fur and the comfort it brings in feeling his heartbeat, in walking beside something far more alive than she felt. He promises a meal, and a place to rest, but she can respond with nothing more than a firm nod of her head. Her paws struggle against the ice, still shivering and shaking and strained from having to fight against the pull of her own weight, the ferocious kicking and struggling against the cliff-face. She stumbles often, but manages to catch herself, if only because Torin’s reassuring presence is there beside her. She finds it suitable only after they’ve walken a few slow paces away from the trench to finally speak her name. The fog had begun to recede, and likewise, Jendayi’s vision had grown clearer, despite the dull and thrumming pain in her churning belly. “J-Jendayi,” she murmurs again, and her voice is almost drowned out by the winds. She turns her head so she may look at him, bright yellow gaze troubled and almost watery, but not out of grief. She did not care where they went, so long that, at the end of it all, she could lay her head down and fall asleep, and hope to not forget about her near-death, but instead to learn from it. She was not as invincible as she thought.

code & art by lynx

Jewell

Somnium

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Asena
12-14-2017, 01:38 AM

She'd hesitated for so log at the border. She had watched Torin leave and had stood on the precipice of moving forward or staying in place. The rainbow knew she couldn't just live here in contentment but there was still the possibilities of so much hurt if she moved on and left the lands again. But even inside Lirim there was a chance for hurt, her attacker still lived among them. She was conflicted, but she knew safety was in Lirim as long as Torin and Rory were around. She felt like neither of them would let her come to be hurt again, but what if they weren't around? It was with a deep breath that she finally had worked up the nerve, she was going with Torin.

It never had crossed her mind to tell Rory or even ask Torin. She was running again, and this time it was to catch up, to find an adventure. She never knew that this adventure would turn into more. She was like a little rainbow bullet. She got distracted and it caused her to stop on her way. Her distraction? A tiny little bird. They connected almost instantly. And now the bird was tagging along.

She raced along with the bird following her. When she finally caught up she found Torin with another girl. She didn't look so good but then torin was pressing up to her. Jewell's ears pressed back. At first it looked like Torin might be trying to force the girl to go where he wanted but she waited. Her two toned gaze assessed him. "Torin? You not hurt her? Droite? In Jewell's defense she was on high alert anyway. She didn't want to let her guard down and to cause another problem for Rory. She moved closer. Her new friend landed upon her head. "I think he's helping her, Jewell." The words were thick with a french accent, but it was clear He was more fluent than her. The little eastern rosella parrot was definitely going to be a good help. He had spoke with her earlier in french and now he was speaking in English. He was certainly highly educated.

She gave a gentle nod so as not to dislodge her friend. Then was quickly on the other side of the girl, though her 23 inches were likely very little help. "Jewell help, Alois help. Take her home?" She looked to Torin for his thought on it.

Walk, "Talk" Think

Faite as Jewell's guardian is allowed in any and all her threads regardless of the tag. She may enter as she see's fit.

All of Jewell's French will have a span title over it, hover for translations.

Torin

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
12-14-2017, 02:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 01:42 PM by Torin.)

She seemed to finally respond to his prompting and the tiniest smile quickly flickered across his face. Her weight dropped onto his and for the first time he could remember Torin was glad for his height, easily able to support her much smaller frame, well standing still anyways. He knew it’d be a different story once they started moving but for the time being he was confident that at the very least he’d be able to handle her. "Follow my pawprints." He instructed, pointing his nose towards his own visible path. "It’s safe there."

And they slowly began to trudge forwards, he maneuvered himself awkwardly to both be pushing her slightly forwards while also taking her weight when she needed. His efforts are rewarded with her name and despite himself another small smile graces his features.   "Torin." He rumbled, offering his name in kind.

Another form approached from the forest and Torin felt the pit in his stomach knot ever tighter. He was about to call out a warning to his adoptive sister when she called out to him first. He wasn’t quite sure how to answer that, he wanted both to reassure her and also for her to stay exactly where she was. Before he could respond another voice chirped up and he noticed the brilliant plumage of a small rainbow bird against his rainbow sister’s head. Jewell started towards him and he stopped. "Jewell Arrêt! Terre est pas sauf!" He called out, tongue stumbling awkwardly over the still mostly unfamiliar language. "Follow my tracks!" He instructed his sister.

He wanted to keep pushing on but was worried their paths colliding with Jewell would lead to another accident so he waited, very impatiently for her to slide up beside them. When she did he first addressed his sister. "Maybe, for now she needs to eat and sleep. She’d not make the trek to the desert. Let’s get her to the forest and see if we can find a den or someplace for her to sleep."  He nodded to the forest in the distance. It felt like it would take them a lifetime to get there.

Next he turned his attention back to the faltering woman. "This is Jewell, my sister. She’s gonna help us okay? Keep leaning on me for the time being though alright?" He then started the long trudge forwards again, aiming to keep Jendayi in the center of his tracks. "Can you tell us more about you, or how about a story?" He tried to coax more out of her, if he could keep her talking maybe he could keep her awake long enough to get them out of this situation.

Jendayi

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-14-2017, 02:55 AM

They had to be safe—they had to be at the edge. Jendayi could see the endless white fall away to the forests that surrounded the fields. It was where she had wandered in from, and while she could smell no traces of her lingering scent from days before, she was glad simply to be out of the endless, unyielding white. It had grown dizzying, so to finally see the horizon broken by the thick canopy of pine trees caused a resurgence of Jendayi’s strength and hope, no longer wondering where the sky ended, and where the tundra began. “I only need a little further,” she promised, knowing as soon as she rested, and ate, she would be able to move on her own again. As far as she knew, nothing was injured outside of cuts and scrapes and a strained paw. She’d no idea of his intention to bring her back to his kingdom—and if she knew, she’d be somewhat against it. Jendayi had always been a nomad; how she evaded such a communal and collective life had been a surprise to her as well, but she’d always been swift enough to slip through the fingers of any looking to tempt her.

Suddenly, a voice breaks the near-silence. The fluttering of wings of flocks of bird could be heard, and seen escaping from the canopy of the trees before them. Something was coming.

Jendayi had thought she had seen it all, but with each turn she was surprised. She was certain she’d never seen a wolf, or a bird, so colorful before. At first, she thought it was a dream—some hallucination that came with the tirednesss and starvation. It is only when Torin responds to it that Jendayi believes she is no longer delusional. Torin? she speaks, and Torin, likewise, repeats a name: Jewell. Accompanied is some foreign tongue hung on thick accent, something that reminds Jendayi of her own past—of the own familiar and native words that threaten to slip through. Often, Jendayi cursed in her native tongue, but always would she correct herself, even in her lonesome. Jendayi had long suppressed the language of her matron, and had left it behind as she had her home. It helped her detach, it helped her forget how she came to be, so that she no longer felt the pain of leaving it all behind.

“What’s in the desert?” she asks, the switch back to their cultural tongue far easier to understand, and no longer lost on her. Gaze slipped between Torin and Jewell, and while she remained unaggressive in her weakened state, her own wonderings and curiosity knew no bounds. If they were taking her somewhere, at least, she wanted to know. She had left nothing, and nobody behind, but the idea of losing track of where she had started was an upsetting one. She was unsure if she would remember how to return here, and how to avoid this scenario again. She’s little time to speak before he once more pries for information, and Jendayi is suddenly reminded why she does not like conversation with others. She had been perfectly content to revel in his heat and in the silence, a blissful companion of close touch, but no words—something far more tolerable. But even she cannot bring herself to snap at him. “There’s nothing to know,” she responds, but her voice is not unkind, “if you have an intention of taking me somewhere, let us not waste any time.”

The matriarch would have scolded her, but Jendayi knew better then to fetter herself to the ideals and sub-consciousness of her lessons. She had lived as far as she had without the assistance of others, and had little intention of making any more friends. Despite this, she remained thankful for them, at the very least, and continued where they wished for her to go without fighting, each pawstep becoming stronger than the last, even though she faltered every few steps.

code & art by lynx

Xander

gems
size
build
player
03-30-2018, 11:50 PM

The man was trending shallow grounds, the snow was thinned ready to slide he kept his steps secured and safe. He looked over the gaping pile of snow that piled, along a bank that blocked a dangerous edge. The man let his eyes narrow and as he steadied his gaze to see two wolves helping, a weakend woman. At that moment he lunged his form over the hill of snow, his claws scaping across the white terrain. As he slide to a heavy stop, splaying his toes apart for traction. And with a bark of concern he yelled, "Hello, I am a healer are you guys in need of help?!" as he croaked his words, his companion decided to circle them. He gave a glance towards Alexandria in a signal for her to find as many herbs as she could, but if she had to she would have to she could get them a fish.

The man walked closer to see if he was allowed to help, he kept his footing but as he quickly noticed the rainbow colored woman was about to step into a rabbit hole he quickly jumped infrount of her with a warning growl. Turning towards the group, "Careful rabbit holes, are dangerous in the snow. If you step in one you can break you leg or paw, be careful..." as he turned towards the man, with a nod of respect before saying, "I know where a den is, would you like me to show you it? And by the way what is all your guys names?" he asked kindly.