Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
12-14-2017, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 01:43 PM by Torin.)

speech

Torin sighed, casting dual toned gaze to the darkening sky above. He'd hoped to be back in packlands before midnight but that didn't seem to likely anymore. He'd reluctantly sent Jewell back to Lirim to try and prepare them for what he hoped would be his arrival with this Jendayi woman, reluctant as he knew his adoptive sister was nervous enough as it was outside of the border and she certainly hadn't been keen on going back without him. But he'd done his best to reassure her she could make the trip in safety and that if anything bad happened all that she needed to do was send her new bird friend either to him or the pack, whichever was closest, and they'd be there to help right away. He only hoped his words would prove as true as he'd made them out to be.

He wanted to take the weak, emaciated female back to Lirim with him, even if it was just to recover but he wasn't about to kidnap her, no he wouldn't force her if she was absolutely against it, much as he might prefer it. He glanced over his shoulder, towards the mouth of the abandoned badger set they'd found, it'd only taken him a few minutes of digging to make it big enough for the smaller woman and he waited now. The cooling corpse of a small rabbit sat just at the entrance a meal for when the woman awoke.

Which frankly Torin hoped was soon.

Original Coding by Shelby

Jendayi

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-14-2017, 03:29 AM

her heaven is only half alive
i fell asleep in his, but he could not breathe in mine
Sleep, as it turns out, was truly all Jendayi needed. She was always used to going lengths without eating, and the dull thrum in her paw had turned out to be nothing more than a minor strain, and a torn claw. After fervent licking and wrapping it tightly with some weeds, the pain had slowly begun to settle. She had awoken after a few hours, but by the time she had, Torin was gone. His scent was fresh yet still, and it spurned Jendayi to think simply about leaving. It would be much easier now to no longer be a burden on the man, and it would give her the opportunity to escape without having to further push herself. Don’t be rude, she chided herself, and pushed away the thoughts. It would be too easy to leave now and forget, and return to where she was. She was sure if she did that, however, the next time she fell down a crevice Torin would not come to save her. She was awkward, but she was not heartless. He had saved her. She owed him her life. It was a heavy thought.

There is a stirring at the mouth of the den, and slowly, the small female lifts herself to her paws. Her movements are slow and awkward, deliberate with each step, so that she did not falter. Torin’s form soon followed his smell, and with it came the fresh scent of rust and iron—food. Almost instinctively, the maiden’s mouth began to water, but she was always well-mannered and polite, and waited patiently for Torin’s own approval. “Thank you, Torin,” she said, settling down right before him, “I…I owe you my life.” It was as strange to say as it was to think of it. She thought briefly if this man were a simple do-gooder, or it he reveled in his own deeds. Perhaps he was the sort of man to invoke some kind of repayment. Jendayi could understand all these things—and while she was a strong and independent she-wolf, she was also honorable…somewhat. 

They had long left behind the snowy desert where he found her, and had traveled through much of the forest until Jendayi simply could not stand to walk any longer. By now many hours had passed, and with it came a much deeper part of the day. The sky was clear and the weather was fair, but even she had begun to grow unsettled (except, she desired to go in the opposite direction, but would not make her desires known). 

code & art by lynx

Torin

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
12-14-2017, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 01:44 PM by Torin.)

speech

There was movement behind him and he once more glanced back to see Jendayi emerging from the makeshift den, he nodded at the rabbit, indicating she was free to tuck in. His own nagging hunger could be dealt with shortly, once he'd set the matter of what she was going to do to rest. One way or another he was going to need to hunt for himself before he returned to the pack. She thanked him as she settled and he shook his head, the second time he'd shaken off her thanks. "Couldn't exactly leave you there." He rumbled, his deep voice careful and measured, a notable shift from his more frantic urging earlier. This was more who he was, when the adrenaline wore off and all he was left with was his introversion.

He found he couldn't meet the woman's gaze, finding her comment sat uncomfortably with him. He wasn't someone who ran around saving wolves but he also was incapable of leaving someone clearly in need without at least giving it his best shot. He realized in this case it could have just as easily cost his own life, what if he hadn't been strong enough to pull her up? He settled his gaze on the bedraggled flower tucked into her fur and despite himself a rumbling sardonic chuckle pulled from his lips.

Torin realized he needed to either get to his point or he'd probably find the woman leaving before he even had a chance to propose anything. "I'm uh- I'm the heir to a pack further south of here, to the west. The desert from earlier." The awkwardness he felt about talking about himself to a stranger was obvious on his face, his ears twitching back slightly and his gaze now firmly rooted on his paws. "We have um, a temporary rank for travelers or injured wolves to use when they need a place to rest for a bit. I was ah- I was wondering if you might consider coming back with me. There'd be no pressure to stay if you didn't want to and it'd mean getting out of the harsh climate and steady meals, even if just for a little bit..." he trailed off, feeling the warmth of blood rushing to his face. He must look like such a fool.

All things considered it seemed unlikely and Torin hated his own inability to properly communicate with others, he was sure his mother would have had just the right words to sooth the woman into seeing the sense in the option, Rory might have even been able to convince her on pure charm alone and Frostbite surly would have been able to use his wisdom to help, but Torin? Well Torin had none of that, he was a solitary wolf thrust into a world of social creatures and forced to try an adapt to their loudness when all he wanted was to be left alone to think in peace.

Right this very moment he felt very certain that his brother had made the right choice in making Frost his second in command. Torin clearly wasn't cut out for this.

Jendayi

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-14-2017, 06:00 AM
Even with her politeness, Jendayi couldn’t spare a meal she hadn’t eaten in weeks. Quickly, she reached down, and began to dig into the meat as she listened cautiously to his words. He seemed just as awkward with her at the revelation of the gravity of their situation, and it almost made her feel relieved, in some drastic sense. It felt good to know that she wasn’t alone in her feeling awkward. She wanted to retaliate, to say you could have left me there, but you didn’t, but instead she decides to remain quiet and stoic, thoughtful of his words yet curious still all the same. She ate faster than she perhaps should have, and quickly finished the meal (leaving some of it for him, politely), and pushing the rest between his own paws. A single swipe of her tongue across her lips cleared the blood from them, and golden gaze lurched up to lock her gaze with his own, intense yellow searching his mismatched. He opens his mouth to speak, and Jendayi suddenly fears what he may say—she doesn’t know why, she just feels something in her stomach drop.

I'm uh- I'm the heir to a pack further south of here… Oh no. Jendayi’s brows knit, and already she began to feel the churning in her stomach, a keen nervousness that often came with rejection (a rejection Jendayi was so used to giving by now, you think she would have grown used to it). The man had been kind enough to save her life, however, and Jendayi felt the nagging consideration in the back of her head that perhaps she’d need to give him a chance, to roll over on her back for once and stop being so selfish. He is just as awkward in his wording, and perhaps it doesn’t help that Jendayi’s face is entirely steeled, and her gaze perhaps far more intense than it should be. Even though she was usually thoughtful and stoic, very so often when Jendayi was turmoiled it showed in a near-effortless, intense concentration. It could be overpowering to some, especially those that were trying to appeal to her.

She manages a small, polite smile—but Jendayi never really smiles, and it is skewed and unattractive. “I appreciate it, but I walk the ski—er, the earth, alone,” she strained, the remnants of her own upbringing often leaking through whenever she was distracted. Now he must think me a fool yet again, she wonders, but quickly pushes forward so that he may forget; “It’s all I’ve ever known. I’m not good at making friends—even less at fitting in. I’ve never even lived in a pack before.” To say it daunted her wouldn’t be far from the truth. In fact, Jendayi was terrified of change. She had always loved the terrors and dangers of the outside world but never cared to face the trials within it. She was nothing but a mere pup when brought beside those of regality (and suddenly how small she felt next to this Heir).

Jendayi’s smile suddenly becomes more shy, more girlish; she glances toward his chin, the carefully-built wall starting to show cracks. “You did save my life, however, and I want to repay you. If bringing me back to your pack will make you happy, then I’ll go,” she finally affirmed, knowing all too well the nature of men to compete and brag. If returning with a woman draped on his arms would impress his packmates, then perhaps it would be enough for Jendayi to repay Torin his kindness.

code & art by lynx

Torin

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
12-20-2017, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 01:44 PM by Torin.)

speech

Torin waited patiently as she gulped down his offered meal, the corners of his mouth quirking up only slightly, the only sign that her obvious hunger had amused him. She finished and the remains of her meal ended up between his paws. He spared it only a glance, his own hunger flared for a moment, just reminding him it was there. As he finished speaking his gaze unconsciously slid upwards again to meet hers and his own face became a mask of impassivity as her intense stare shifted to an awkward if not totally uncharming forced smile.

Words tumble from her lips and he nodded, his own disappointment not even flickering across his face. He only blinked as she stumbled, his own curiosity hidden behind his mask. He couldn't exactly fault her logic, if he hadn't been raised among the wolves of Lirim would he have ever chosen a pack for himself? Now there was a thought, his path could have been very different, instead of gunning for alpha he could have never wanted to be found in that society.

She smiled again and despite himself a rush of blood flooded his face, she had gone so suddenly from stern to well... cute! Torin felt his stomach flip nervously. Are all women going to be like this? Gods, I think I'd rather live as a hermit than have to contend with these sudden shifts! He had no way of knowing if this was about to turn the way his previous meeting with the blue eyed girl would go. He hoped not, he wasn't sure he could handle that. Torin blinked a few times, his gaze flicking rapidly between the space directly behind her and her face, clearly fighting his own surprise and uncertainty at her sudden shift.

Finally he cleared his throat. "I -uh. I would like that, but for your sake." Torin finally managed say, stumbling over his own words. "I won't force you, it was an offer made in good faith, not because I feel you owe me anything."

Jendayi

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-23-2017, 07:08 PM
He was kind, and there was something about it that caused Jendayi’s heart to flutter. It felt like a gentle gasp caught in her throat, a tickling in her stomach she could not subside. She passes it off simply as the food she’d just eaten, and perhaps the still-lingering nervousness that came from her near-death. He seemed just as flustered, but Jendayi was not one to press the issue. I would like that, he says, and a part of Jendayi feels almost compelled to ask him why—were there certain props given to those who acted heroic? Who fed their numbers? Perhaps Torin just liked her enough to want her to stick around (though this thought was quickly outweighed by the former, which seemed more realistic). She then thought, maybe, they needed to bolster their numbers, to add more hunters and soldiers. It would soon become painfully clear that Jendayi was good at neither—a life alone meant a life of wandering and hunting rabbits, and it was not much help to any sort of pack.

“I won’t be in your fur much longer, then,” she comments softly, and brings herself to her paws. The weight of her lack of movement caused the world to spin about her; her legs still numb and sore ached underneath her weight. Quickly, however, was she to recouperate. Now that she had eaten, and rested, Jendayi saw no reason to keep herself in Torin’s care much longer. “I should be strong enough to make the trek back. And I’ll keep my eyes on the ground this time,” she replied humorously, catching the glint of his own bi-colored gaze with the golden of hers. She had all the intentions of returning where she came from, despite the dangers. Now she knew of them, and now, it meant she could travel the land with ease and knowledge of its dangers. She did not want to impose on the man much longer, not since he’d been so kind.

“You have your sister—or…is she your lover? Friend? I don’t know, fuck,” she struggled, unsure if Jewell was his sister, or his lover, or his friend—he had mentioned it before, but in the haze of her shock she had forgotten what exactly he had said. A low rumble exhaled in her chest at the slip-up, chiding herself over poor social cues, and even poorer conversation. As always, she failed horribly at small-talk. Damnit.

code & art by lynx

Torin

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Medium
player
Lolaf
12-28-2017, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 01:44 PM by Torin.)

speech

He watched her as she rose to her paws, a flicker of disappointment passing along his face for the briefest of moments. Some part of him had hoped she might choose to come with him of her own volition. He could imagine the two of them in their own little worlds even among the other members of the pack, wolves who didn't quite fit in. But then he wasn't sure that could ever be true for him again, he was his brother's successor and he hoped, would some day be a leader. Still he longed for a connection with someone who could understand his more solitary nature, or at least sympathize with his struggles.

She spoke and he shook his head again, she was no bother to him. He certainly hadn't planned of saving anyone today but he also genuinely didn't see it as an inconvenience.   "I'll hang around a bit, if you fall again just give me a shout." A rare smile gracing his features as he teased her lightly. Her humorous tone helped to ease him slightly, even as he felt his stomach knot at the idea of her rejection. "If you ever are in need of assistance please do feel free to come and find me. I usually stick further south and to the west..." He offered softly, the idea of her seeking him out made his stomach feel... weird.

He grimaced slightly as she spoke of his sister and before he could even think words were tumbling from his lips. "My sister, no friends to speak of," for a moment his mind flashed to the blue eyed girl and the tender moment they had shared; then the fluttering in his chest hardened and he felt hollow, "And certainly no love-" He cut off suddenly, his own embarrassment and shock visible as the blush upon his face and the wideness of his eyes.

"Please pretend you never heard that."

Jendayi

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Medium
player
Lynx
12-30-2017, 07:59 PM
I’ll hang around for a little bit. Jendayi felt her heart flutter gently, the idea of him lingering about in the background just to ensure her safety wanting her to draw him into the light—she wanted to ask him to stay with her, to journey with her, but then the thoughts receded. She had been alone for so long she did not know if she could handle the presence of another so overwhelmingly, and so soon. She turned to him, wide-eyed and wild as all young girls were, before it faltered into a small, gentle smile. Come and find me, he said, and Jendayi almost entertained the thought. As much as it hurt to betray her sense of solitude, it also felt so good to give into her insatiable desire to break her seclusion and be around others once more. She attempted to pry his words away as mere seducing, an attempt to get her to come home with him and his pack—she did not suspect Torin to be the sort, but it made it easier to leave if she thought of it in such a light.

His words shatter everything, however; the careful thought Jendayi had placed into the ideal that perhaps he was simply prying for new blood had all but withered away at his admissions. He is not greedy—he is lonely. Just like you. A low rumble exhaled from Jendayi’s lips, a sort of half-sigh. No friends—just a sister? Even Jendayi’s heart could not be steeled by such an admission. Ever the one to rescue the turtles stranded on the highway, even the solitude the young woman had long adopted and coveted could be set aside for the sake of another. It was the one lesson taken with her, the one reminiscent relic of the past even she refused to give up. She could give up her gods, her culture, and her family—but she could never give up her duty. Please pretend you never heard that, he quickly rectifies, and Jendayi suddenly finds herself at a crossroads. So easily she could play it off and resume with her adventures, humorously brush off a little, heard what? I didn’t hear anything and continue as she were. But something deep inside of her continued to tug at her, like unfurling claws clenching her heart, wrenching it until she swore she could no longer feel it beat.

“I don’t have any friends, either,” she admitted, but knew it was different. Hers was by choice, perhaps his was not. “Listen, Torin, I…” she began nervously, wondering how she could possibly word something so heavy, “I’m not really one to enjoy the pack life, but perhaps I could at least offer you a friend. I can go with you, stick around the area, until you find others to be with.” Certainly, a guy as noble as Torin would find friends easily. That way, Jendayi could rest easy knowing she hadn’t left him behind when she had the chance to make him happy.

code & art by lynx