ardent

Cold Sun [Fenben/OPEN]

Crow

gems
size
build
player
03-06-2013, 01:57 AM
The sun shone brightly overhead as Crow lazed forlornly in the shadow of one of the few trees that part of the northern free lands was named for. The gentle light of the day should have lifted Crow's mood, but despite the slight warmth that the spring sun provided, the cold remnants of winter's chill blew softly through his fur, causing him to shiver, and reminding him that the wind blew through his hollow heart, where a howl was rising from the resonance of the chill breeze, as well as through his only defense against the cold. He couldn't help but wish desperately that the light could somehow intervene, but in hiding from the wind, he also locked himself away from the saving grace he longed for so desperately. He refused to stand out in the sunlight waiting for the world to warm while the wind froze him solid.

The world around Crow was still, but inside him a battle raged. His emotions fought savagely over the sorry state of his life. He could not deny that his life lacked purpose, and yet the only purpose that he might be missing could also destroy him. He knew that what he was doing was not living. In truth, Crow had died the day he was abandoned. Even if his body had found a way to go on, he knew he would never be the trusting, naive pup that he used to be. His suspicion had grown into full-blown paranoia, and now it was a monster that consumed all he was. He could never trust again. Not after the man who brought about his creation sought to destroy him. He'd never forget the look in his father's eyes when he'd been left, with bleeding paws and a bleeding heart, to die.

But what was life without a purpose?

Crow walked out into the cold wind, and braced against it as it whipped past his fur and stung his skin. He raised his head, and allowed a loud howl escape, small at first, but building gradually, until finally coming to a peak. It was a howl that resonated so deeply within his heart that when at last it died in his throat nothing was left but a whimper that persisted long after he had lowered his head, and lay back down in the shade. The message of the howl had been clear and demanding.

Help...

Micha

gems
size
build
player
03-06-2013, 02:26 AM

She couldn't stand the cold. She barely had any fur left to begin with, leaving her skin exposed to the elements. She hunkered down into a patch of tall grass and shivered, her entire body trembling in the wind as she glared into the cruel and useless sun. She felt like she was dying. She had traveled from the east carrying with her a broken heart, only to land in the frozen north, all to escape the male that had broken her. She could never return to Valhalla. Never see him and that damned femme of his, happily raising fat healthy pups and laughing their worries away. She could never have that, not with him, not with the man who in the same breath told her he had found a mate had told her he loved her. Never. She whined into the ground, her body wracked with pain both internal and external and with no way of healing either.

A howl broke the silence, grabbing the attention of her over-sized ears. Someone in trouble. She stood, head barely peeking over the sparse shrubs, and howled in return, assuring him his call had not gone unheard, not that there was much she could do to help. She was one of the smallest wolves in Valhalla and a shit hunter at that. On her own she fed on mice and other small animals, barely having the strength to take down hares. But where her strength failed, she had made up for it in agility. Her eyes locked on a bird, scratching at the ground, a perfect target. With a quick dash she scared the beast into the air. She threw herself after it as it did, her jaws closing around the it's body and crushing it. A fine enough meal for a straggler. With a burst of speed she ran after the howl, leaving a trail of black feathers behind her as she ran.

The site that greeted her as she arrived shocked her. An ebony black beast, just as weathered by time as she was. She dropped the bird near him and kept her tail raised on level with her body as a precaution. She was silent at first, sniffing the air silently to make sure he wasn't ill and stepped closer, ears folded back as she nuzzled the bird toward the stranger.

Speech,

Crow

gems
size
build
player
03-06-2013, 02:43 AM
As Crow heard the return howl go out over the cold air, he flinched. He stood quickly, not wanting to be found, but found himself unable to move. He knew that this cowardice had to stop. He would not run from the only thing that night save him now. He watched, his heart pounding wildly in his chest, as a small she-wolf came bounding out to greet him, and in her mouth was a bird, much like one Crow would have followed to find his next meal. He prayed it hadn't been waiting for him.

She nudged the bird's carcass towards him cautiously, and part of him wanted to bury the bird as a sign of respect, but he knew that she would probably be insulted by it or something like that. At the very least he knew there was no way she'd understand. Then she took a step forward, and he reacted on instinct by stepping back, his lip curling only slightly, before falling back into place. He approached the female, his tail only slightly elevated, and took the bird gently to where he's been laying, gesturing for her to join him, a choice of actions he prayed he would not regret, and began eating.

When he'd finished, he lay his head on his paws. "Thank you," he sighed, and looked up at her, only just noticing that the hammering in his heart had subsided slightly. "I hope I didn't... worry you," he began, questioning whether he had chosen the correct word, "I've just been a little... conflicted lately. I didn't think anyone would actually respond to my howl..." His voice faded gently nearing the end of the sentence, realizing that the last part was a lie. "My name's Crow. And yours?"

Micha

gems
size
build
player
03-06-2013, 08:35 AM

He seemed hesitant, what kind of a wolf passed up a free meal? She would have ripped the bird apart and swallowed it hole in his position. Part of her resisted the temptation to do that exact thing. She flinched back as his lip curled, and berated herself internally for being so forward. She gave him a wide berth when asked to join him, choosing to sit instead of lie down with him. Just in case she needed to run.

She let him eat in peace, daring to move closer as he finished his meal. Perhaps he'd be less irritable? He thanked her, confirming her thoughts, she had done something right for once.

"I hope I didn't... worry you,"

"Not at all." She answered. "You were alive enough to howl and therefore there was no need to worry." She said simply

"I've just been a little... conflicted lately. I didn't think anyone would actually respond to my howl..."

"You had reason to think no one would. This land is barren." Something in his tone made her head tilt. His statement was sure but his tone faltered. He was grateful, yet at the same time seemed to regret that she had appeared. "Conflicted indeed."

"My name's Crow. And yours?"

"I am Michaila Qureshi. But I am called informally by Micha. You may address me as such." She said.

Speech

Other Player Speech
Thought