ardent

The Beginning Of The End

Destruction

gems
size
build
player
07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
This here is just a story I'm working on. You are all free to comment and whatnot, as this is just one of the things I'm working on when I can. xD Right now I just have the prologue, but as the chapters are added I'll put it up. Consider this a teaser type thing.

Destruction

gems
size
build
player
07-30-2014, 06:40 PM

The world as I knew it had become such a dark, dark place. Before me lay the still corpse of my brother, one that had needed to identify. I thought the horror was behind me. After all, years had passed since my village was destroyed. But yet, just now, here was the lifeless form of my younger sibling. How could this be, I would wonder? I knelt down, gently brushing my fingertips over his cool cheek. He was so still, so horribly still. Yet I could find no tears. I was pretty sure I didn?t have any left to shed, though I definitely felt the sharp pain of loss. There was nothing more I could do for him now, not even in this world of magic.

?I am so sorry, Spencer...? I whispered the words. My lime green orbs would slide closed, though my grief would not be hidden. It could be seen clearly in my shaking form, my lowered ears of ebony. He had not deserved this. He had been such a pure soul, with so much to live for. When his body was not found among the wreckage and remains of our village I had hope that he was out there somewhere, but safe. But now...

I would shake my head, drawing away from my brother as I let out a sigh. My orbs would open once again, knowing now what task lay ahead of me. It was a demon that had killed my brother, and it was my job to find it and avenge him. No, not just Spencer... I had to avenge my village, my friends, my entire family. I walked the world alone now, and it was thanks to that damned demon that this was so.

?I give you my oath, dear brother of mine, that I will not stop my search...? I took a few steps back, reaching down for the book of spells that I had in my bag. Not everyone in my world was born a mage, but through diligence and training they could learn to wield it, providing they had the right tools to do so. However... Should they try something far to advanced for their skills, it could consume their very life as the cost of error.

The spell I was going to use, however, was one that I knew well enough. It had begun as a basic spell, and through practice I had increased it?s strength. ?Fss?thiyr.? I would whisper, the word that would summon my core element. My left hand would move away from the book, towards Spencer?s body, a bright orange glow surrounding both hand, book, and my brother?s corpse. Flames would spring to life, flickering and leaping to the sky as they consumed the still form. In burning his body I was able to release the pureness of his spirit, or so my people believed.

?May the twins of death grant you peace.? None knew for sure what awaited those who died, what kind of afterlife they would have. Ancients spoke of gods and goddesses, of entities who oversaw all things in this world. But there were also entities, and men and women so feared, or had made such an impact on life, that they made it into legend.

I knew not what lay ahead for for my brother, nor myself, but somewhere deep in my heart I felt that this would not be the ends of our destinies together.

His body felt cold, so very, very cold. It was as if he had fallen into a deep sleep, one that he couldn?t shake himself from. He fought to wake, to open his eyes, yet there was nothing but darkness and that strange feeling of pressure. It almost felt like he was choking, suffocating in this endless sea of black.

?...grant you peace...?

The words seemed to come out of nowhere, feline ears catching them, despite how faint and far away they seemed. The young man would open his mouth yet no words would pour forth from it. Was he mute in this state too? In some sort of twisted dream where he could not awake?

But there was a change now, a change besides the strange words. His body began to feel warm and light began to melt away the darkness. It was coming closer, bringing him within it?s embrace, as if the voice had given him the strength he needed to wake. Slowly sea green eyes would flicker open, gazing up at a pale gray sky. Ebony ears would lower, a soft squeak of surprise coming from him as a large droplet of rain fell upon his nose.

?...Rain...?? His voice sounded tired and his body felt oddly drained, though warmth was returning to it. Sudden movement would catch his attention, and the young man would gasp as something small, glowing a soft light blue, flew right up to his face. He would stumble back, ears lowering as he looked at it.

?W-what do you want?? His voice cracked a bit, worry within for whatever this thing was. A soft chuckle was heard, and the male would turn his head, fixing his gaze upon a beautiful woman.

Her skin was white, pale as the fallen snow. Her lips were of the lightest pink, just touched by color, and pulled into a gentle smile. Long hair fell behind her, starting white at the roots and darkening to black as it reached the lower part of it. Her eyes were sharply shaped, yet the stormy gray orbs held a definite gentleness within. She wore such a unique dress, woven from the feathers of doves and decorated with odd black flower petals. She was unlike anyone the young man had ever seen before, or even heard of.

?There is no need to be afraid, child. They are your spirit... guides.? The woman seemed rather happy as she explained this to him. The different colored wisps would come in closer to the male, some settling on her shoulders and head while others would remain floating around him.

?My... Spirit guides...?? Head would cock ever so slightly to the side, confusion washing onto his face. ?But... Why would I need spirit guides...? I thought they were something that only the dead could acquire...??

The woman held a knowing look in her gaze, her expression softening still. ?So my hunch was correct... Even after what you have gone through your spirit has maintained it?s innocence.? The words were whispered, for her ears alone. The woman would stride towards the young man, kneeling down so that she was level with him.

?Child... You are a very special person, do you understand??

No, he didn?t understand at all. Ears remained lowered, a nervous glance being cast at some of the wisps on his right shoulder before he focused his gaze back on the woman. ?I don?t understand at all. What makes me so special? I?m just an ordinary neko from Errath Village... ... ... ... Wait...? He would look around, even more confusion washing onto his face now. ?Where am I anyway? This isn?t the village...?

?...He doesn?t remember the past he?s been through...? It would only make sense, given that his soul?s state. The woman would allow her smile to brighten, gently reaching out and touching his forehead. ?Child... I am going to need your help, okay? Do not be afraid...? A white glow would come from her hand, seeping into the young man?s head.

...and the innocence that he still held was fully brought out, almost as if he was still just a child, rather than a young man of nineteen years. Sea green eyes would start to close, mumbled words passing his lips before he collapsed forward into the woman?s arms. She would gently hold him, closing her eyes.

?Spencer Niskieo... You now bear upon you the task of being the beacon for those treading in darkness... Those who still have a chance of being saved and brought to this area of light. Have faith, child, and know that you have my blessing.? She was, after all, The Lady Death. The area of light in this realm was her domain, and it was her job to save as many souls as she could from falling into complete corruption. With this young demon?s help, his form warped by his tragic fate, she was sure she could save many more souls from wandering lost in her brother?s domain of darkness.
Speech