gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
keanai

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2017, 04:58 AM by Váli.)
Strange rumors had reached the white wolf’s ears, and they did not bode well. Rumors of a woman who was fiercely devoted to some sort of god, who would feast of the flesh of her followers. Mothers, whose pups had wandered off and never been found. Was it that fanatical woman with her empire in the south? Kidnappings? Or was it the winter weather? Were they really killing all who entered their lands, or was it coincidence? It disturbed her; how could one rule such a thing? Be like that? How could wolves follow a religious fanatic? From the sounds of it, the woman's empire was getting bigger day by day… and yet, no one had come to the other areas of the land. There were no other packs in Auster, that she knew of - only loners, and loners to spread the rumors. But all rumors had a seed in truth, and she wondered if there really was a demonic wolf who ruled some of the south with a pack of followers. Her hope was that they never came to any other part of the world, if it did exist.

Sighing, she laid her head on her paws. It still worried her, and it worried her more - who else had heard these rumors? What were they doing? She had half a mind to ask Bass to send some messengers out to investigate, but she was afraid of what were to happen if it was true and they were caught. So she just laid there, with the sun setting for the night, outside her den and contemplating what on earth to do.

Bass

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Evelyn

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:05 AM
It wasn’t the only thing going around either. The alpha’s had been talking about the pups that had been stolen from the pack, unable to track their scent far enough with all the snow now covering the lands. Ever since he had heard about it, and since one of their own had been taken, Bass had been outside of pack lands trying to find them. It had been too long, the scents growing cold, but he wasn’t giving up. He hadn’t slept or eaten for days, the wear on his aging body showing. Finch had been out there with him as well, obviously concerned for the alpha. Bass knew that he was wearing himself thin, but it was for a good cause. He wouldn’t rest until he was sure that those puppies returned home safe, that Storm had all her little ones. He had been doating on them like his own, and he felt the loss on a far more personal level. While he would do this for any of his pack members, this was far too close to home. The white wolf was glad for his daughter’s company, but he couldn’t keep leaving Abaven like this. He had no second in command, since Allen had left he was by himself once again. For most of Abaven’s life he had been alone, but now his focus was more split than it ever had been before. Without enough wolves in leadership positions, he feared that him being gone most of the time would finally bring his pack down. He couldn’t let that happen, but nor could he give up on the stolen puppies.

With a sigh he walked back into pack lands, his head and tail low as he made his way towards his den. He needed some sleep, his eyes were growing too heavy and his mind fogged. Not even noticing the world around him, he blindly strode past Vali and her den, just trying to get to his own before he collapsed and fell asleep right where he was laying.

Váli

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
keanai

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2017, 05:00 AM by Váli.)
Eh? Vali’s ears pricked as a wolf stumbled by, and it only took a split second to realize who it was. Bass. What was he doing? His posture was that of a defeated wolf - not of an alpha. Was he… still looking for Storm’s pups? Admittedly, Vali could understand it if he was. With everything floating around, she was afraid that the kingdom to the south had stolen the puppies that had wandered away from home. But still… the way he was stumbling, walking blindly away, without noticing a thing in the world was especially worrisome. How would they function as a pack without a well-rested leader?

“Wait! Bass!” she called out in a quick, impulsive decision, hurtling to her paws. She took a few steps to follow him, hoping that her words were enough to catch his attention.
[Image: aGjjkVy.png]

Bass

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Evelyn

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:12 AM
He didn’t hear her at first, even though his ears flickered at the sound of her voice. The rest of his mind took a few seconds to react, his head lifting as he ever so slowly came to a stop. Blinking his wary yellow eyes, he focused on the white blob before him. When his head stopped spinning and he noticed that it was Vali, his tail bounced between his hocks a few times. ”Vali, hey.” Bass woofed, his voice hoarse and broken. Taking a seat, he yawned and looked around him, really realizing where he was. Rapidly blinking, he tried to remember just what it was that he was doing. Bed, right. But now that Vali was here… Looking back at her, he fell silent, struggling on if he should tell her fully what was going on. He would be foolish to turn down help again, but it was with the pack that he needed help with. ”I uh…” he started, clearing his throat and looking down. Bass had always been a proud wolf, but it wasn’t fair to leave Abaven in this way. He needed someone to look after it while he and Finch hunted the puppies down, and he didn’t want to force it on Lark. Vali had always been there for him, and at the last meeting she had expressed wanting to take on a higher rank. He trusted her, and knew that she knew what he had in mind. She was good with the members and from what he had been able to tell, they liked her as well. ”I need help, Vali.” He finally admitted, his thinner body flinching slightly at his own words.

Váli

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
keanai

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:27 AM
And her words did, though it took several moments for it to actually register. Her own ears flicked back in concern as she gazed at the taller, white-furred man. Was he truly so exhausted? It seemed so when it took even longer for him to focus on her, and then to react. What was going on? She had a feeling she knew, and she frowned at him, even as she pushed forward to nuzzle his shoulder in an affectionate greeting. “Hey, Bass,” she replied, unable to keep the concern from leaking into her soft voice. She started to ask what was happening, demanding answers, something, when he started to speak. “Hmm?” she tilted her head to the side when he trailed off. He seemed… embarrassed about something? Her face furrowed briefly in confusion. What would he be embarrassed abo- oh. He completed the statement, and she froze entirely, eying him warily. “Help with what?” she questioned, not entirely certain she liked the way he said that, let alone the little flinch at the end of the words. She would be there no matter what, but now she was getting even more worried.

Bass

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Evelyn

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:29 AM
He sighed as he searched her face, seeing the concern that laid in her features. ”I…” he trailed off with a soft growl, shaking his head. He was being stupid, anyone could see that he was struggling and he would not drag his pack down with him. ”I’ve been running myself thin looking for these puppies. Other packs have had some stolen as well, there are several search parties out there trying to track them down. But I… I’m not giving up. I need help with the pack while I’m away, and I trust you more than anyone else.” Besides his kids of course, but he wasn’t going to force their paws. No one had spoken up about Abaven yet, and he knew that he could count on Vali. Right? ”Would… that be something that you could do for me? Keep an eye out for Abaven as the acting alpha until I find them? I can’t just leave them out there Vali, and I can’t keep fooling myself into thinking that I can do both. Not again…” Bass looked away, a bit of fear making the corner of his eyes crinkle up. With her in charge he could toss himself more into the hunt. But between patrolling the borders and searching, he just couldn’t do it. ”You could call a meeting and explain it, but I just, I can’t stop looking. First thing in the morning I’m going out again.” Meeting her similar gaze, he leaned forward to touch his nose against hers for a moment. There would be no turning his thoughts away from this, not this time.

Váli

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
keanai

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:34 AM
He started explaining, and the more he kept talking the more her heart sank into her stomach. Her ears flattened to her head. No!. He wasn’t going to say what she thought he was going to; there was no way. He couldn’t. He couldn’t just - he did. Vali breathed in deeply, and let it out in a shuddering breath. Every fiber fought against him leaving. What if they found him, that kingdom in the north? Killed him, ate him? She wanted to say no. She wanted to fight against that decision he’d made, but she saw the look in his eyes. It was one where he wouldn’t listen to reason, and she was desperately searching for something to say.

“I-I…” she stuttered, though she shut up quickly. Why? She wanted to ask that so bad. Why did he have to obsess over it, focus so deeply on it? “We can still send out search parties! You don’t have to leave…” her voice quieted at the end, the words almost coming out as a mumble. She stared at him with stricken eyes, not knowing how to fight this.

Bass

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Evelyn

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:35 AM
He let out a sigh as her demeanor changed, seeing that she wanted to fight this. Her words only proved his thoughts, his head turning away from her as he looked across the plains. These had been his home since he was a young adult, a fraction of his age now. Leaving wasn't ideal, it never would be. ”You must know that this is hard for me. But I won't be gone forever. Abaven has been my home for too long to just walk away. You also know that I can't do this again, I can't let Abaven grow quiet again while I'm off chasing geese. Not again…” Letting out another shaky breath, he turned back to look into her golden eyes. ”I can't give up on this either. I can't keep going when I know that they are out there somewhere. They have to be. You can send out search parties to help, Finch refuses to leave my side so she can act as a messenger between the two of us. That is her rank anyways. I'll come home to you, Vali, to Abaven. I always do.” His voice choked on the emotion of all of this, stepping forward to push his chest into hers. Wrapping his neck around her, Bass nibbled on her scruff. His heart squeezed painfully in his chest, his breaths coming out in ragged gasps. He was tired and sore, but this hurt more than anything else.

Váli

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
keanai

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:38 AM
It still hurt for those words to be spoken. It still made her freeze, panic - which was silly, considering she’d left all those years ago and only recently came back. Well, recently being nearly three years ago, but still. Her wide eyes met him, and she nodded slowly, sadly, even as tears filled her eyes. And when he stepped forward, she shoved her nose deep into the scruff of his neck, her breath a shudder as she tried to contain herself. Tears leaked through anyway, but she pulled away after a minute. “Okay,” she said softly. “I’ll do it. I’ll watch Abaven for you, Bass, but I swear to whatever gods that exist you better come back!” Tears once again blocked her vision, and she tried her best to blink them away. She moved forward again, her muzzle once again resting on his neck. “Because if you don’t, I swear, as much as I love you, I will hunt you down and skin you alive.” Okay, maybe some humor was necessary. Why? Because the older woman didn’t know how to deal with it otherwise.

Bass

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player
Evelyn

Famous
06-26-2017, 03:39 AM
He nodded sadly, feeling his own weary eyes growing misty. ”You are my home as much as Abaven is. I can't stay away for too long.” He whispered sadly, pushing himself harder into her. His heart felt like it was breaking, even though he knew this wasn't the end, there was something so final about her taking over for now. ”Well then, Primo Vali, keep Abaven well and alive. I'll send Finch here to keep everyone updated, I won't just vanish. But I uh… I have a request.” He pulled back awkwardly, shifting on his paws a but as his voice cracked. ”Can you… come with me? Spend my last night here with me?” Bass asked, briefly looking over at the pale woman. He didn't want to be alone, not now. Not now that his heart was broken and his body weary. Tonight he just wanted to sleep with his best friend at his side, ignoring everything until the morning came. Then reality would set in as always, making him once more feel heavy. But the aging man didn't want to lose this sense of lightness that he felt with her now. With a soft smile he licked her cheek before stepping away and heading towards his den, too afraid to look behind him to see if she was following. As he moved, his yellow eyes gazed across Abaven. Why did this feel so final? Like he was saying goodbye? With a shaky breath he tried to ignore it all, his head falling down slightly. He would come home, he had to.

-exit Bass-