gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

Mammoth HunterDouble MasterTreat 2019Promptober 2019
12-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Sunlight spilled over the horizon, casting pale pink hues over the heavy snow fall that had covered the land the night before. Brandr tentatively stuck his head outside his den opening. He crawled out into the untouched winter landscape and shook the snow from his pelt. The bison hunt had gone well and they were well stocked with food for the time being. He could turn his attention to more personal ambitions, namely catching one of the turkey's that had been passing through the thicket for several weeks now. His best chances though were when they were roosting and with the sun up he imagined the birds were as well. Perhaps he could take a shot at something else.

Brandr started his patrol. He merged both duties now, using his regular border patrol to scout out the movements of prey in and out of the territory. So far everything had been quiet… for now. Caelum's words had put him on edge. The idea of a pack of wolves intent on conquest was never comforting news and he could only imagine what it would mean. Brandr had originally been brought up as a fighter until he found his love of hunting. Fighting was something he could do but not something he thoroughly enjoyed. Abaven was small. He hated to think what might happen if they were attacked but if they were, by the spirits, he would make their attackers regret it. He'd fight until he fell.

Some evenings feel like windows where we tip our hats beyond all the failures that afflict us and the dusk that feeds the dawn

Sparrow I

Somnium

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Iko
12-18-2017, 02:06 AM
Sparrow had been out for... a while. Sleep wasn't coming any easier after the wolves from Dragoste had come. She mulled over what had been said, realizing she needed other sources. She thought to Lirim, who offered to do merged training.

Her pack had been quiet, and yet that fact made her uneasy.

Somehow, in the time she had been sprawled out thinking about the pack, the sun had begun to rise. The snow reflected the beautiful lighting and long shadows cast themselves across the horizon.

There was movement. Sparrow's ears perked, shifting the snow that had fallen atop her head.

After a moment, she realized it was Brandr.

Sparrow stood slowly, her body feeling heavy not only from the snow, but by the weight of her duty to the pack.

Sparrow shook and stretched, clearing her throat in hopes of catching the male's attention without startling him too badly.

Brandr

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

12-29-2017, 09:04 PM

Brandr continued his march through the snow, grateful for his large frame that allowed him to plow through the deeper parts mostly unabated. He was excited for spring and the wealth of prey it would bring. Perhaps he could arrange some sort of game or challenge for Abaven for the turning of the seasons but he wasn't quite sure what would be the best. In the mean time he'd definitely need to see if he could pin one of these elusive turkey's down.

Brandr turned his head as he heard someone clear their throat and saw Sparrow standing there. Grinning he moved to stride toward her. "Good morning, alphess. Are you well this morning?" He started with pleasantries, uncertain how to bring up his concerns in part because he felt he had no solutions to offer.

Some evenings feel like windows where we tip our hats beyond all the failures that afflict us and the dusk that feeds the dawn

Sparrow I

Somnium

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Iko
01-10-2018, 11:09 PM
Sparrow was glad to see that Brandr wasn't startled by her. The younger man greeted her politely and Sparrow nodded.

"I'm doing alright," she said, her voice light. Even she was surprised by its tone. A small smile rose to her face. Recently Brandr had been an active and upstanding member in the pack. He had been somewhat of a first responder; a constant presence in the ever silent pack.

"How are you?" She asked. "It's a shame about the Santuarios, but I have to admit I'm glad to have new energy in the pack."

Sparrow felt bad admitting it out loud, but it was true. She wanted to figure out more about what had happened to them. She wanted to know if it was an isolated event or something more. Perhaps Brandr had suggestions. Even if not, Sparrow had been meaning to talk with him. Something alpha-esque to reward his constant efforts in the pack. She just had to figure out how to word it and propose it to the younger man.

Brandr

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

01-12-2018, 09:04 PM

Brandr was pleased that Sparrow was doing alright despite the news that came with their new arrivals and the usual pressures of leading a pack. His thoughts had certainly turned to her from time to time. He smiled. "I'm doing well. It's been a bit quiet lately but I must say our efforts in hunting bison over the winter have really lifted my spirits." He hoped to engage the pack in another hunt but perhaps he ought to try something that could work as a bonding activity or maybe something else entirely.

He nodded about the new arrivals into Abaven. It was a shame that Dragoste had fallen but Abaven had been in sore need of new. "I agree, I hope once they get settled in they'll decide to stay and find a suitable home within Abaven. I must admit the news of these invaders does trouble me. With any luck they'll stay to the south." He knew though that hopes and wishes probably didn't mean much. Having a plan would be better but he had nothing more than fight like mad. If these 'Abraxas' tried anything while he was here he'd fight with all he had. It was a shame they didn't know more about the sorts of numbers the Abraxas had at their disposal.

Sparrow I

Somnium

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Iko
01-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Sparrow listened to the man. She was glad Brandr agreed with her sentiments. Sparrow smiled softly when he said he hoped the family would stay. She had taken a liking to the pup in the family and was beginning to dread the day they left already.

The Abraxas did pose an issue. Sparrow had been working on her own training, but as a pack they were lacking.

"I think if they came to Abaven right now, we could all fight until our last breaths and have nothing to gain for it," she said. "We have to start preparing now or we won't stand a chance. I need wolves to stand beside me and work for and with Abaven. It just... hasn't been happening."

She couldn't remember a time when wolves in Abaven had been active. How did she change that?

"Brandr," Sparrow said suddenly. "Do you think I should elect a Prima Pattuglia? Someone to help me keep track of the other packs?"

Brandr

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

01-20-2018, 09:18 PM

Brandr glanced at the sun, careful not to look at it directly but taking comfort in it's climb. He longed for the heat that spring would bring and he was grateful it was around the corner. Maybe then he could feel like he was of more use. A wider variety of prey would make for more engaging hunting. Abaven's lack of numbers and trained fighters had been weighing on his mind as well and as Sparrow talked a frown passed across his face. She was right, of course. If the Abraxas stormed Abaven as they were the pack would be decimated. He nodded in agreement but was unsure what to offer.

"I suppose we could step up efforts to recruit but without keeping sustained interest I don't know that it will do us much good." The question though was how? He wasn't quite sure. Brandr had never thought of himself as any sort of 'leader'. "I don't know if this is an odd thought but perhaps you could ask those who've remained for their thoughts?"

Sparrow asked him about appointing a Prima Pattuglia. He had to pause for a moment to recall which rank that was but when he did he nodded. "Yes, it may be good to get stock of where the other packs are at and what their view of the Abraxas are. We should also determine where the Abraxas have created their pack and to what extent their numbers are."

Sparrow I

Somnium

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Iko
01-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Brandr gave good and thoughtful responses. She was thankful to have him in her pack. He said that was important to keep sustained interest. Sparrow let out an exasperated breath, "That's just the problem. I'm not even sure half of these wolves want to contribute to a pack. If they don't want to be here, but feel some obligation to stay, then what's the point? Why does this pack exist if no one really wants to be in it?"

Sparrow knew it couldn't solely be her fault. Her father often berated them for being inactive as well.

At her suggestion of a Prima Pattuglia, Brandr almost immediately came up with a plan. Sparrow looked to him,"Could you do it? Just temporarily. There's no one else in the pack I trust to investigate this as much as I trust you right now," Sparrow admitted. "It won't be forever- just until we either find someone else, or the threat is eliminated- or, I guess, proven to be not a real threat."

She couldn't rule out the possibility that the refugees were perhaps a bit skewed in their perceptions of the events. That's why it needed investigation, after all.

Brandr

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

02-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Brandr remained silent as Sparrow spoke but he couldn't help but nod a bit at her words. The pack had grown quiet since Bass had left and many of it's members had fallen away. Each time the pack had changed paws more and more members would peel off. Apart from Corentine, Brandr couldn't say he really felt like he knew any of his packmates. He was curious to know more of Lark and Kassander but he wasn't exactly outgoing and the other two didn't seem to be either. Maybe everyone just preferred to stick to themselves? "Well, I want to be in it and I'm sure Corentine does to but… you're right. I don't know if it's that we're all a bit introverted or if there are other tensions that could be to blame. I don't know this pack's history but from the way so many members left each time the pack changed paws I can't help but wonder if there is some… soreness that is still lingering." He wasn't sure if he was making sense at all. He wished he could give more advice but he knew nothing of running a pack or what could be done to charge enthusiasm. He could understand Sparrow's consideration, serious or not, for disbanding the pack but he hoped she wouldn't. Not with the refugees here at least.

Brandr came to a halt, fidgeting slightly as she asked if he could manage the rank of Prima Pattuglia. He had to consider it for a moment. Cacciatore was honestly the perfect role for him and he never saw himself in any sort of leadership role. It just wasn't his style but he also know that Sparrow was in a tough spot. Abaven was small, their members busy with personal projects and with the threat of the Abraxas looming on the horizon this was no time to simply wait for things to work out. He nodded. "Yes, I'd be honored to take the position but only temporarily. Cacciatore is the rank I truly find joy in but I understand that sometimes there are job's that just need doing. I'll see what more I can find out about the Abraxas situation. Is there anything in particular you'd like me to try and find out?"

Sparrow I

Somnium

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Iko
02-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Brandr gave some good thought to what Sparrow had said. He thought aloud, asking if perhaps the wolves were just introverted or if they were holding back feelings from when Bass left.

Hell, even Sparrow was holding back feelings from when her father left.

Hesitantly, Brandr accepted Sparrow's rank offer. He asked what she would like him to check out. Now it was her turn to grow quiet and think. She didn't know what to think or where to start.

"Perhaps it's time to visit the other packs," she suggested. "See what they know about this family and their pack."

Sparrow shook her head, "When all this is over, I think I'll have to restructure the ranks some. I see now, being in the position that I am, that my father favored healers over any other rank. I think for Abaven's survival, we need to change that mindset and become more balanced."

Brandr

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player

02-19-2018, 02:33 PM

Brandr considered going to vist the other packs. That was a good strategy, safer than going directly to the Abraxas homelands though he still planned to hunt for where they had set up their empire. He didn't like the idea of an enemy based only in shadows. They needed to know exactly where the threat was making its home and with any luck it would be far away. The longer the conquerors had to travel the more tired they would be and the greater chance they could be seen coming. As least that was his hope.

Brandr hadn't really considered the way Abaven's ranks were structured but it had perplexed him that there was not a higher rank for the hunters or any sort of lead hunter. "I am curious to see what you come up with Sparrow." He truly was, this would be a good exercise he felt. It would also allow Sparrow to make Abaven truly hers rather than her acting as a steward of her father's relic. Brandr really had no expectation that Bass would return and they couldn't stay in stand by waiting for that moment. They needed to move past what Abaven was under Bass.