size
Small
build
Heavy
player
lunarcat7

Double MasterTreat 2019Promptober 2019
11-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Build me up from bones, Wrap me up in skin, Hold me close enough to breathe me in

Drífa grumbled at herself as she moved along the rocky terrain, seeking to gather herbs that grew in the richer soil of the inner ring. She'd wasted most of her summer hunting for members of her pack. Winter would be rolling around soon and she needed to improve her stores. True, she probably could move farther south. Here in these lands there was no need to fret going southward for supplies but she was a creature of habit. The north was what she knew and where she intended to settle down. First things first though. She needed to stock up on yarrow if nothing else and she was fairly certain she could find some in the valley. Setting her mind to the task at hand she continued on her way. First one step, then another. That was the only way to take life.

Riva

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Glacier

Samhain 2022Statue 3 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Trick 2019
11-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Riva would be soon entering her second winter as an adult, and she strived to do better this time then she had the last. She had been utterly unprepared, her herb supplies had dwindled, and she had struggled to make up for what she lacked. She would do better this time, she would gather the herbs she needed and painstakingly dry them. She had already done so over summer, but now, with Autumn approaching, the need was only more true.

She had a mental list on the items she needed to store up - things like Boneset, and Yarrow to fight the winter fevers. Another healer had told her that Yarrow was common in a territory to the North, so despite her dislike to the cold she would find herself travelling there now.

The journey was a long one, but she stocked up on other herbs she found on the way. The journey got rougher as she hit the rocky terrain, and would slow as she took more caution on her steps. It wasn’t immediate that she would realise she wasn’t the only wolf travelling this territory, a hint of scent thrown her way on an errant breeze clued her in.

Drífa

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Heavy
player
lunarcat7

11-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Build me up from bones, Wrap me up in skin, Hold me close enough to breathe me in

A light breeze journeyed across her patch, ruffling her fur and the autumn grasses around her. Drífa kept her eyes peeled. She intended to take the whole plant if she could. There were so many uses for the various parts of this particular plant. Thankfully it was fairly common and tended to grow just about anywhere grasses could grow. Meadows, pastures and of course in a rich valley like this one were sure to turn up some useful plants if not exactly the ones she sought. She eyed the dwindling forms of the dandelions that spotted the valley and made a gentle mental note to gather some up before she headed back toward the gorge where she'd set up her temporary storage den. Well, it might become a permanent storage den. It was hard to say with everything up in the air as it was. She was a creature of habit and a creature of roots. She needed to be part of a pack and to have a place she could always return to.

As Drífa moved along a shift in the breeze brought her attention to a young woman who was wandering through the valley as well. Hmmm, she was wary of this strange woman but at the same time had she not just been lamenting the absence of company? Drífa cleared her throat. "Good morrow, what brings you into the valley today?"

Riva

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Glacier

Samhain 2022Statue 3 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Trick 2019
11-09-2018, 08:59 PM
She sniffed the air cautiously, as she made her way into the inner ring. There she was, the wolf who’s scent had come Riva’s way. She moved a little closer, curious to the others presence in this somewhat secluded part of the lands. As she approached, the stranger would speak first, and Riva would offer her a gentle smile in return. “I heard it was a good place for seeking out interesting herbs, even this late in the year.” she would explain herself.

Her own eyes would drift across the lush meadow, slightly surprised, and pleased that what she had heard had been correct. It did appear to be a good place for herb gathering. She might need to work out a temporary bag to take away all that she would wish to. There was, after all, much preparation to be made for winter. “And yourself? I’m actually a little surprised to find others here, the path looked like it was seldom travelled.”

Drífa

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Heavy
player
lunarcat7

11-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Drífa smiled das the young woman spoke. Ah, another healer. It was good to know she wasn't the only one out and about. The older woman had to admit she missed the company of fellow healers, someone to talk with and share the trials of being a healer with. "The same. I am late in my gathering for winter and I seek to make up lost ground. If you care to join me I'm on the hunt for some yarrow. What is it you're looking for?" She turned and paused, a gesture inviting the woman to join her on her search. Of course, if the girl was looking for something else she was welcome to continue her search. Drífa smiled to herself. The young woman. Why was it now everyone even remotely younger than her seemed like a child in her eyes?

"My name is Drífa by the way, what is yours?"

Riva

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Glacier

11-09-2018, 09:30 PM
The woman returned the expression, appearing warm and welcoming in her conversation. Riva chuckled when she heard that the other was a healer as well. She was understanding when the other spoke about being late in her gathering. Riva was last winter as well, and had suffered for it. This winter was better, but only a little. She needed a more permanent base of operations, somewhere to grow a garden and keep her supplies. Wondering was turning out to be less effective for gathering then she had anticipated.

“Understandable, it seems i’m not the only loner with this issue. And that's good, i’m searching for Yarrow as well among other thjngs, and I would love to join you.” she dipped her head in thanks for the offer. "I'm Riva, it's a pleasure to meet you." She was happy to accept the invitation, and happy to share the spoils of their find. She stepped up to stand beside the wolf, indicating for the older wolf who had given the invitation, to take the lead.

Drífa

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Heavy
player
lunarcat7

11-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Drífa was pleased she wasn't the only healer caught off guard by the sudden approach of winter. She introduced herself as Riva and as luck would have it she was also looking for yarrow. Drífa shouldn't have been surprised though. In her opinion it was one of the most useful herbs a wolf could learn how to use. She would even dare to say it was a personal favorite. The pair continued on their quest. Drífa kept a look out, scanning the grasses for something until… there!

Drífa spied the little bunches of white flowers indicative of yarrow. Luckily it flowered all through summer and into early fall. Though she could see the seasons turning in them. The blooms would be gone swiftly. "Look, Riva! There, I think I see some." She trotted over in that direction. She'd been to far away to be certain but as she neared she saw the plants feathery appearance, and it's rough and angular stem. "Excellent. Thank goodness fall is only just starting to creep across the land. There's still enough time to get a few necessities."

Riva

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Glacier

11-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Riva kept track of the landscape as they walked, trying to focus her attention on the opposite side to her new friend. She saw plenty of dandelions around, but as they were a common occurrence, she did not call them out. It was Drifa’s voice, who would break the silence as she found exactly what they searched for. “Good find!” Riva complimented her, pleased on how quickly they had found the herb.

They veered their path to approach the herb, and Riva gave them a sniff. They looked to be healthy and strong, in good condition to harvest. “Indeed” she agreed as she gently dug around one of the plants, extracting it from the earth carefully. She would dry it over the last of the warm days. She tucked what she harvested into the folds of her ribbon, and looked over to ensure Drifa was having just as much luck as Riva.

“So, healer to healer, what is your opinion on the best sedative?” Riva would enquire, ears perked in curiosity, and head tilted as she looked back at her new friend. She was always trying to gather information wherever she could.

Drífa

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Heavy
player
lunarcat7

11-17-2018, 06:49 PM

Drífa dug carefully around the yarrow plant, working her way farther down into the dirt to loosen it. When she felt she was far enough down she tilted her head and gently seized the yarrow plant with her teeth. Then, carefully twisting she dislodged the whole plant and set it gently on the ground before moving to another plant. Once she'd gathered all she felt she needed she set them in a neat pile, but a small one. She didn't want to take more than she could carry in her mouth.

She cocked her head at Riva's question. It was a good question, one she had to think on. "Lavender is my personal favorite though it's not an herb I see very often in the land where I live. Depending on it's application it can be used very mildly such in aromatherapy or more heavily. Though of course it does have it's side effects. Too much could cause disorientation and confusion. Anyway, getting on in years as I am I appreciate its additional qualities in easing joints. What about you, Riva?"

Riva

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Glacier

11-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Riva listened carefully to the wolfs explanation on Lavender, committing what the wolf said to memory. She had used the plant for easing pained joints, but not as a sedative and found the information valuable. “Thank you. I’ll remember that. It’s always about measurements with healing, isn’t it?” she mused with a smile. She didn’t consider her new friend as old, but she had certainly had a lot more opportunities to gather experience under her belt then Riva had.

“Well, I’ve found mixing a very small amount of ginseng root with Lady’s slipper and Wintergreen into a paste does a good job. Using small amounts of different herbs seems to help lesson addictiveness or side effects you can get from using too much of one herb.” she would expand further on her comment of measurements with her explanation of her sedative. Her mentor had liked to experiment, and Riva had picked up on a few handy things her.

Drífa

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Heavy
player
lunarcat7

12-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Drífa chuckled and nodded at Riva's statements about the importance with measurement. She'd learned that the hard way in her youth when she'd first started training. It was something she'd have to risk again soon now that she was living in a new territory. While the climate and a number of the plants seemed similar to those found in her old homeland there were a number of herbs she didn't know and many she wondered about. What had healing properties? What didn't? There was only really one way to find out.

Her ears perked at the mention of mixing a number of herbs. "That is very wise Riva, thank you for sharing." She'd always been particularly leery of mixing herbs, afraid of any unknown reactions between the plants mixing but she could see the logic in Riva's statement. "I'm not familiar with Ginseng Root. What is that?"

Riva

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Glacier

12-04-2018, 04:01 PM
She had finished picking her Yarrow, and was now seated politely as she listened to what Drifa had to say. She didn’t often get the chance to chat with another healer, and was really enjoying the conversation. She had already learned a few things from the kind wolf, and was more than happy to share her own knowledge. So far, most of what she knew was theory, and the wolf before her had more experience to back up her facts.

“Ginseng Root is quite rare, which why I add only a small amount to my paste, it spreads out what little I can find [b] “the root comes from small round, red berries, and it lowers stress and shock, and adds in insomnia and increases appetite. I find the effects of lowering stress and shock make it a good additive to my sedative, since it helps to calm them.” she would go on to explain. “In excess, it can cause hypertension, headaches - restlessness, oddly enough, and nausea.” she finished, knowing that the side effects where a pretty important bit of information to share.

Drífa

Loner

gems
size
Small
build
Heavy
player
lunarcat7

12-16-2018, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2018, 08:57 PM by Drífa.)

Drífa listened intently to Riva's description of Ginseng Root as well as its uses. She knew she'd need to educate herself on some of the rarer plants of these lands. She wanted to make sure she learned as much as she possibly could. "Thank you for sharing Riva.  I'll keep an eye out for Ginseng during my travels. I hope we meet again some day. Peace to you." She dipped her head in farewell before picking up the yarrow in her jaws and turning to head back to her den. She didn't want to take up too much of the other woman's day. No doubt she had her own winter preparations she needed to take care of.

-exit-