Medium
build
Medium
player
Vail

Treat 2019
04-03-2019, 06:48 PM
set before name removal

Rhythm loped along quietly towards Abaven’s general direction. Years and years had passed since she had been there, but she wondered if her old herb gathering spots were still as prolific as they had once been. She was due to visit with her grandbabies as well, they were probably getting so big by now.

Thoughts of them lingered with her as she made her way to the borders. She still liked to stop and call out, to at least let Shaye and Rhyme know before she stepped over the border. Rhythm hesitated at the border calling out lightly before making her way to where she thought she remembered a good patch or two being.

Valentine may enter any of Rhythm's threads

Epitaph

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Emaciated
player
04-03-2019, 07:41 PM

THEY’RE TRYIN’ TO KEEP HEAVENS GATES OPEN LATE FOR ME

He was out and about again. It was a warm, sunny day. It was days like this that his lame leg didn't act up quite so heavily, and he felt comfortable wandering about. He had a goal in mind again today, and that was herb gathering. He was looking for some lavender, since he'd been given much of the winter supply when he had first arrived and stocks seemed to be running low as a result. he heard a vaguely familiar voice sound at the borders, but couldn't place it. It did, however, make him a touch nervous. He wasn't about to go near the edges of the territory, where he was more likely to be picked off by a passing rogue. Regardless, the strange presence nearby put him on edge.

A faltering, awkward amble brought him to the thicket, where he had caught a few traces of the floral perfume a few days before. Verdant gaze swept over the lush foliage of the thicket, searching for the pale purple blooms. Knowing he would likely be invisible to passersby within the safety of the tall grasses, the wisp pushed his way into the heart of the thicket. As he picked up the scent of the herb in question, he set off at a slow, limping pace towards the source.

The male was given pause when he pushed through a clump of grasses, and saw a chocolate brown form before him. This was the woman who had been caring for Miss Shaye's children while she was out completing her duties. The woman that Rhyme believed was also his mother, and thus made them brothers. There wasn't enough evidence yet, no one had really brought it up. Things had been too hectic, and there was rumour of a scuffle at the battlefield mucking up the pack's equilibrium. There hadn't been time to address this.. issue.

The milkiness of her eyes made him feel safer. She couldn't see him staring, head poked through the grasses and the rest of his body hidden away. Tattered auds shoved forward, he watched her move with purpose. Dare he speak? If this truly was his mother, where had she been all this time? He had rarely seen her amongst the camp where he'd been born. Glimpses, here and there. Always with someone else looming over her shoulder. "You went away." he rasped suddenly, the words escaping without his notice.

Dark ears flickered nervously now, lips pulled into a tight line.

"speech"

avatar lines courtesy of trask-klng on dA

Rhythm

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Vail

Treat 2019
04-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Rhythm hadn’t been given much time to herself in Abaven in a long time, and she realized quickly she didn’t know the territory quite as well as she once had. With her returned freedom she was learning to better navigate without the help of her sight. She didn’t often run into things in front of her, but she was still known for stubbing her toe and walking into unpleasant debris on the ground. She was managing fairly well, only getting snagged by a couple of budding briar bushes.

She slowed when her dark chocolate ears caught the sound of someone making their way through the grasses. Rhythm guessed this was someone checking to make sure she had the clear to be here to begin with. Her blind old lady gig usually made strangers relax, and they seemed to believe her.

The old Destruction stopped, turning slowly as the wolf poked out of the underbrush. She smiled politely, but froze when the words left his mouth. That voice belonged to Epitaph, she’d never be able to forget it. His scent washed over her as she thought about her reply. Rhyme had made an offhand guess that this was her son, but the last time she had been here was too wrapped up in the new pups to have discussed anything. Rhythm couldn’t deny that she hoped this turned out to be her boy.

”I had to return to Legion.” She told him softly, wondering if he meant from when the girl’s were born or when he had been. ”You’re Epitaph, right? She had gone through much disappointment in her life, and she didn’t want to presume that she was the wolf’s mother. The pup she remembered had been stolen from her years ago now and they had no proof. Still, deep down she hoped.

Epitaph

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Emaciated
player
04-09-2019, 06:36 PM

She wasn't mad, she wasn't startled. Had she known the whole time that he had been there, staring? Leering like the loathsome mongrel he was? ”I had to return to Legion.” she said quietly. Her voice always struck some kind of chord, deep in his psyche. He'd heard her murmuring to the girls when they'd been born, before their eyes had been open. It made him feel safe. There was a moment's pause before she questioned him, ”You’re Epitaph, right?"

He nodded instinctively, before remembering himself. Fool. Grim's voice snarled in the back of his mind. "Yes, ma'am." he rasped hesitantly. Slowly, he eased his way through the grasses the rest of the way. One delicate forelimb, then the next, thin as the reeds along the shores. When he stood before her, he was overwhelmed by the realization that she was quite small. He felt like he was towering over her, and he wasn't sure how to feel about it. It was a strange sensation, and he wasn't sure he liked it.

"What are you doing here?" he questioned hesitantly, peering about for signs of Rhyme or anyone else. He didn't smell anyone nearby. Was she looking for someone? He ought to help her find them. That was the polite thing to do. The slave's task, the cruel snarl of his former master reiterated subconsciously.

"speech"

Rhythm

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Vail

Treat 2019
04-14-2019, 08:50 PM
While she couldn’t see him she could hear him and his movements clearly. She guessed he nodded at her question before answering vocally. She couldn’t help the corners of her lips pull back in a soft smile. Her sightless gaze stayed on him as he moved closer, she didn’t miss the limp in his gait either. The one leg, it was used differently than the others and the sound it made compared to the other paws made her believe he was lame in that leg. Not uncommon for the slaves that posed a threat.

Rhythm thanked her lucky stars that such an act had never befallen Rhyme. He had been so young when they were caught though, and with her life on the line just a simple threat to her was enough to make him do anything. She hated what they did to her innocent boy, but hoped he did and would find happiness in freedom. Like she hoped for Epitaph, if he was her son or not.

”What are you doing here?” The young man was probably not the usual guard here in Abaven, and likely was asking because he was curious. Not because he had some kind of authority, he seemed much to sweet for that. She couldn’t see how he was with her granddaughters now, but he’d seemed enamoured in the days she was here after their birth.

”Gathering a few herbs. Too many years ago now I lived here in Abaven, I’d like to see if my old herb patches are still around.” She told him, wondering what path he took now that he was allowed to choose. He smelled a bit of dried herbs, but that also might have been Shaye’s little collection on his pelt. ”Do you practice any healing, Epitaph?” She asked him curiously, genuinely interested in the places his life was going.

She was getting rather old now, and the promise of future adventure or pursuits were not as exciting as they once were. Likely she only had a few more years in this life if she was lucky, before the last stage of life took her. She was better off being allowed to look into the bright future of others than the dark one of her own.

Epitaph

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Emaciated
player
04-16-2019, 05:06 PM

Her features were softened with fondness, and warmth radiated in an aura around her smaller form. She was the kind of woman he would have wished to have raised him, he imagined she was nurturing and kind. She wouldn't have hurt him, beaten him, like his masters. In another life, he would have liked to have been raised by a woman like Rhythm. To grow up fearless and loved, full of curiosity. What a life that would have been.

”Gathering a few herbs. Too many years ago now I lived here in Abaven, I’d like to see if my old herb patches are still around.” she offered in reply, her voice soft and soothing. A spark of surprise bloomed in him, unaware that she had been living here at one point. Curiosity glimmered in his verdant, violet tinted gaze. Not only had she been living here, but had been tending herbs? ”Do you practice any healing, Epitaph?” she asked next, and he could sense the genuine interest in her tone.

He hesitated. Did he? What he had been doing thus far could hardly be considered healing. "I'm trying to learn," he offered hesitantly, rasping vocals bogged down by uncertainty. "Hemlock only taught me poisons, but I want to help instead of hurt. I've been trying to replenish the herbs that have been used on me by Miss Shaye and the others, to pay them back." he added. All he wanted was to repay their kindness, and do something useful with his newly obtained freedom. He took another hesitant step forward, looking to close some of the distance still between them. "May I help you search?" he asked softly, brows furrowed and posture tense.

"speech"

Rhythm

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
Vail

Treat 2019
04-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Epitaph hesitated for a moment as he contemplated her question, she knew that finding your place after being born into slavery like he had been was difficult. Rhythm hated that he had been taken from her, but thinking about it always made her heart hurt. There had been nothing she could do to keep him, she couldn't do anything at the time and she certainly couldn’t do anything now but offer him her love. "I'm trying to learn," the young man answered. Hemlock, did she know that name? It was vaguely familiar as voices were aroused from her memory.

”...to pay them back."

Rhythm mentally shook her thoughts of the past, it was too painful to dwell on. She had to linger in the present, it was all she could act upon now. "May I help you search?" She smiled over at him as he stepped closer. Her dark tail wagged eagerly behind her, ”Please, I’d love that.” She let herself take a step or two closer to Epitaph. ”Most everything I can find here can also be found near legion, but I couldn’t help my curiosity. To interpret without sight, how much the land has changed.” She murmured softly as she lifted her head, testing the air of its many scents.

”Lets start this way,” she finally decided. Her pace would start slow as she headed eastward.