Somnium

gems
size
Small species
build
Light
player
09-14-2020, 02:15 PM
The soulless forest had indeed felt Soulless.  It had provided plenty of food but had it had been too dreary for Bait's taste.  Now as he stood right on the border of the fireside boundaries he imagined this would work much better.  Now, some bold foxes would certainly slink on to the land to help themselves to the wonderful food to be found on such a landscape.  The old game of run in and out before a wolf takes offense.  Bait didn't care for the run in and out game, he enjoyed the walking in freely.  The fun thing about being permitted in a pack was that a small fox-like him could end up with the protection of the far larger wolves.  

His family might feel he was suicidal with his games but Bait felt he was being quite clever.  Oh well, families all have their differences of opinions, right? Bait run in to ask permission to stay either, no instead he actually did a high pitched bark sound.  He couldn't how the same as a wolf, it would just sound funny "Hullo? Anyone one about? I was hoping to have a word!"  His voice carried well enough, especially for wolfs ears.  Of course, Bait proudly felt his ears were better than a wolf, but it would hardly do to point that out to his soon to be good friends.  Hopefully at least.

Tyrian

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

LegendaryThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2VengeanceUnderachieverScarred
Ice Bridge ExplorerWealthyHomebodyDouble MasterExplorerVolcano
1KTreat 2019
09-20-2020, 11:26 AM
Normally Tyrian paid no mind to foxes. Had it been a coyote at the border barking at him it was entirely possible he would have just killed it, but foxes were...well, too small to have done enough damage for him to write the species off entirely. Had they hunted in packs or been big enough to be real competition his stance on them would likely be different. With Fireside brimming with livestock Tyrian had little patience for other predators who hunted on Fireside lands. Perhaps it would have been different if he could sit them all down and outline what was free and what was wolf-owned, but because he couldn't, his tolerance for their presence was almost nonexistent.

Honestly he was tempted to ignore the fox's call. After all, it was a fox and he was a wolf, to think they had any real business together was laughable. But, and this was only half of what overrode his sense of superiority, he had been called by a fox. That never happened. Being the curious sort, Tyrian had to check it out. Whatever the reason, it had to be good, right?

As he would for a wolf, Tyrian trotted right up to the border. The size difference between the two was immense; to meet the fox's gaze he nearly had to look straight down. That was yet another point of intrigue. What could it possibly want? "Can I...help you?"
Tyrian has a saber-toothed snow leopard companion named Zahir, a black-footed gray langur named Tashi and a striped skunk companion he insists on calling Righty even though her name is Daisy. Assume all are nearby if not mentioned.

Bait

Somnium

gems
size
Small species
build
Light
player
09-20-2020, 12:24 PM
This was one large wolf!  Bait was used to wolves being taller than and the majority quite considerably taller however this wolf beat them all. For a moment Bait had to wonder how many bites did it take for a wolf this size to swallow a humble fox.  The answer was far less than he would like to imagine yet more than he would like to experience.  However, these concerns were as fleeting as the beat of a heart, if such concerns mattered the red fox would have quit socializing with wolves long before now.

"Hello great one,"  The fox had to tilt his head just about straight up to look at the giant, "I know it would be a bit strange, a fox showing interest in wolves." Certainly a statement he imagined was one of the wolf's first thoughts.  His family had found it strange and tried to change his ways without success. "However I was hoping you might allow me to live with your pack.  You see I have always respected your kind.  It is hard to find a wolf who is not clever and certainly, you are for more talented than I in such matters as hunting." Bait kept a respectful and almost adoring tone at the great wolf.  

"I think we can easily both agree that my abilities are far below others in being useful to your pack great one and yet, I am not without all talent.  I do not eat much and for the most part, am quite happy to keep your mice population under control.  While I know you could I would imagine they are too tiny to bother chasing off even if they prove to be pests at times?" Bait obviously saw the land beyond the pack line and how suited it looked for a variety of prey he would enjoy.  "I would assume you would not have cared if a trivial creature like me helped myself to some time in your land, but thought perhaps you might be more lenient of my request this way?"  Bait wasn't so bold as to look into the giant wolf's eyes for one moment, so he focused more on the muzzle where those certainly sharp teeth would be.

Tyrian

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

LegendaryThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2VengeanceUnderachieverScarred
1KTreat 2019
09-21-2020, 11:05 PM
Great one? Tyrian's brow spots shot up. No one had ever talked to him like this before. He could get used to it. Even knowing the fox was targeting his ego didn't change his feelings on the matter. If he were the size of a skunk and facing a giant saber toothed wolf he'd get down on his knees, break out the good manners and shamelessly stroke that ego. Whatever worked, man. "Hmmm," he rumbled thoughtfully as he eyed the fox up and down. It was an odd request, but had the little beast just waltzed into the pack and gone about his business Tyrian likely wouldn't have paid him much mind unless he got up to no good.

How could he say no? The little guy was charming and he didn't even have to introduce himself. He just had and that said something. "How about this: you can have access. There are certain places I'd like you to focus on and if you can bring the rodent population down..." He shrugged. "We'll talk about you joining the pack as a real member." That struck him as a good compromise until he could get a good handle on this fox. He was charming, but it was an odd request and Tyrian thought he'd be remiss if he didn't do a little observation and information gathering first.
Tyrian has a saber-toothed snow leopard companion named Zahir, a black-footed gray langur named Tashi and a striped skunk companion he insists on calling Righty even though her name is Daisy. Assume all are nearby if not mentioned.

Bait

Somnium

gems
size
Small species
build
Light
player
09-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Bait watched the wolf closely, which of course meant head tilted way up.  In the future he might choose to stand farther away when talking to the wolf to easier converse.  Then again hopefully there were places he could perch to be on better eye level.

“An excellent idea!” Bait cheerfully agreed.  Yes, many kin such as him would slip into wolves territory and hunt for food and Bait could not claim to have never done this.  However, it meant keeping an ear out for wolves as every now and then the testy things could decide killing a fox was good for a bit of sport.  Pregnant females or those that just gave birth were known to be out right dangerous to a hunting fox.  Some of his less seemly face would hunt them for food.  

“Well then my lord, I would be happy to take you up on this plan.  It sounds beneficial for us both, after all it means an easy surplus of food for me by the sounds of it. I’ve also always enjoyed wolves, your kind have always been more entertaining than my own.”  He looked quite pleased with himself but nothing abnormal there, Bait was almost always pleased with himself.  “So sire, what name might I ask you are called?” Always good to know what the other wolves called him. Yes, there was a point where rubbing in the compliments became too obvious but there were many who enjoyed it all the same.  Bait had learned mixing up the terms or phrases tended to help.  Those who wouldn’t buy in to the praise sometimes just bought into the amusement of what he came up with.

Tyrian

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

1KTreat 2019
09-25-2020, 05:34 PM
Oh yes he could definitely get used to being addressed this way. Tyrian smirked at the fox's choice of words but made no comment as to why. Instead he addressed what the little beast had to say. "Indeed I think there's plenty to be gained from our arrangement. And I suppose living in groups lends for a bit more drama than solitary creatures have to contend with." He couldn't bear the solitude but sometimes he wondered what it would be like not to have to balance the various, volatile personalities that made up the bulk of his interactions.

"...what name might I ask you are called?” Ah, names. Tyrian supposed he needed to have something better to address the fox with than say, 'fox' or 'beastie' although he himself rather liked being referred to as 'lord'. "Tyrian," he said finally. "Tyrian is fine. How about you, fox? What can I call you?"

Bait

Somnium

gems
size
Small species
build
Light
player
09-25-2020, 07:44 PM
Bait was pleased with himself.  Hunting in select areas where the food was best might earn him a spot in a pack of wolves.  Tyrian was right, there was far more fun to be had when the company kept was larger and wolves always seemed to be interesting when he ran into them.
Very much so.  One can laugh at themselves but that only goes so far after all.  Toying with prey is likewise amusing for a time but pleasure only in tormenting a meal grows old.” The pleased little fox was perfectly agreeable.

“Lord Tyrian it is then,” the fox dipped his head in a hint of a bow as stating the title.  The shameless thing that he was. “Ah well, I was named Sly at birth however I tend to go by the name my family gave once they knew me better,” the fox looked quite proud as he finished, “Bait.  Apparently I like to do the abnormal which means less safe.  Playing it safe tends to mean less fun.”  One had to have their priorities in order after all.

Bait normally didn’t offer up his real name but it seemed only fair he offer this wolf who he would label as leader as a bit more information.  “Oh, but please leave the real name quiet.  Some get the wrong idea about one named Sly.” Bait thought he was quite sly also in fact, but often it was better to be underestimated.

Tyrian

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Lazuli

1KTreat 2019
10-02-2020, 05:22 PM
The more he learned the more peculiar Tyrian found the fox to be. The name 'Sly' tickled his fancy and honestly Tyrian found it downright funny. The beast's family seemed to have wholeheartedly embraced one of their species' stereotypes and the young king just thought that was great. It was like being introduced to coyote brothers Wily and Shifty. Tyrian chuckled at Bait's explanation and then nodded in agreement. "Your secret is safe with me." A fox called Bait living among a wolf pack was funnier anyhow and he wondered if the fox would be willing to live up to his name. That was a discussion for another day, however.

It occurred to him then that he should probably alert the pack to the fox's presence. Likely, they would ignore him anyhow, but just in case someone say him poking about and took a swipe at him, Tyrian decided to make Bait's acceptance known. He gave the fox a sly look, then said, "Better let the others know about you, eh?" With that he howled to let the wolves (and horse) of Fireside know of their newest member.

With his howl still lingering in the air, Tyrian again looked at Bait. This time he jerked his head in the direction of Fireside land and said, "Come, let me show you around."

-exit?-