An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Ali

Samhain 2022Underachiever1KAll Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
WealthyVengeanceHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! GlobetrotterOverachieverLegendary
Ooh La LaHomebodyCritical Block!ExplorerPride - DemisexualWinner
Mammoth HunterIce Bridge ExplorerWordyDouble MasterCritical Hit!
10-20-2020, 11:47 AM

The sky burned a mix of reds and oranges as the sun began to set, dipping beneath the horizon as Hattori stood guard outside the palace. It wasn't a job he'd been officially assigned, rather a responsibly he'd taken up on his own accord. However demeaning it seemed, standing around on idle paws, he'd taken it as an opportunity to watch and learn, to know things. Talk of Habari had reached his ears, that the Empire was expanding before his very eyes. On a surface level it appeared to be a good thing, that the Ashen influence was spreading further to the east but on the other paw he found a sharp sense of scepticism settling in the back of his mind. It was true he'd never formally met Recluse and thus he couldn't yet conclude as to whether she'd serve to be a capable leader but from his perspective it all seemed a little convenient, no? Recluse was vying for more power whilst the Empire was still in the throes of change. More than that it striked him as odd that she intended to publicly claim Habari was unassociated with Ashen and yet settle close to it's borders. Was Hattori simply being an "ignorant foreigner" or was something truly amiss, only time would tell it seemed.

Glancing over his shoulder to the palace that laid behind him, Hattori's brows furrowed. Aside from the slaves going about their daily menial tasks it had been fairly quiet, not unexpected given that many Kleins favoured the night over day.

[Image: de83uxb-0342be6c-7454-4392-a336-72e10a43...s88RF1Wrtg]

Venom

Loner

Master Fighter (275)

Master Intellectual (279)

An icon representing the specialty Bulwark Bulwark

An icon representing the specialty Bard Bard

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
KatG6

TeacherIsland HopperSamhain 2022Statue 3 WorshipSocialiteBest Buds
HomebodyWinnerAll Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
VengeanceOverachieverOoh La LaWealthyMammoth HunterFestival Organizer
ExplorerIce Bridge ExplorerBeeventLegendaryWordySnake Eyes
Double MasterHalloween 2020 - Witches HutGold Medal 2020Valentines 2020Dream WeaverVolcano
Critical Hit!Christmas 2019Trick 2019Costume Contest 2019Promptober 2019
10-24-2020, 06:04 PM
As the sun began to set Venom woke from her afternoon sleep. She kept morning hours along with most of the night. That was she could attend both times of day for the pack. She stirred lightly before padding softly into the main chamber of the palace. She still wasn’t used to it, but she was slowly growing more accustom. The fresh water that the slaves brought in intervals was cool and crisp as she took a long drink. Her magenta gaze caught the unmistakable fur of Hattori as one of the attendant shifted the leather flap at the entrance.

Venom looked up to give him more of her attention, he looked like he was guarding the door, but surely with him it was much more than that. Since he’d bested her the other day she’d been less interactive with him, being around the shinobi made her stomach twist in uncomfortable ways that distracted her from her duties. He was the first one she found herself feeling uncertain around. Azure was much easier to read and be around, but he also hadn’t held out her in the same position as Hattori.

”Ugh,” she mumbled to herself before shaking out her coat and the weird feelings. Venom lifted herself and exited the threshold to move to sit beside the orange marked man. ”Keeping busy?” She asked softly, her tone relaxed as a small smirk played at her features.
[Image: ven-sig.png]

Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Ali

Samhain 2022Underachiever1KAll Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
WealthyVengeanceHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! GlobetrotterOverachieverLegendary
10-25-2020, 09:17 AM

If Venom had been avoiding him then Hattori hadn't noticed. Such personal things often escaped his attention, especially since he'd just assumed she'd been keeping herself busy as any leader should. He was her shinobi and thus he didn't expect or even truly want to be showered in attention but if she approached him he wouldn't deny her. Banish the thought. He heard her approach long before she announced herself, his ear flicked out of habit in anticipation, and he turned to give her his all. His gaze was cold, observant, as he bowed down as was customary, noting the smirk that twisted her lips. He found himself wondering whether it was natural or habitual, perhaps a quirk she'd picked up as a result of keeping others on their toes.

Only when he raised his head and stood at full height did he respond.

"Yes." At face value it was a simple question that warranted a simple response, but even Hattori knew better than that. "Thus far I have grown familiar with the borders, I have my companions watching over them as we speak. However, there is something I wish to ask you. Tell me your thoughts on Habari."

He would have to take her wishes into consideration before his thoughts ventured any further.

Venom

Loner

Master Fighter (275)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
KatG6

HomebodyWinnerAll Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 2How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Double MasterHalloween 2020 - Witches HutGold Medal 2020Valentines 2020Dream WeaverVolcano
10-27-2020, 01:38 PM
Hattori was quick to give his attention to the thin formed Empress that sat beside him effortlessly. She looked out into the forests instead of looking at him for the moment. He answered simply at first, and she was thankful that he continued to give her an update about his efforts. She grinned lightly, feeling a small pride in how easily he adapted. This decision was turning out better than she had anticipated, and it was going to be difficult to let his service go.

The young woman narrowed her gaze and finally found his eyes, her expression telling him everything as her eyes searched their surroundings. They were not alone here, she raised her brows in silent gesture as she suggested they retreat inside. ”Recluse seems to be a capable wolf, she will be a good leader I believe.” She didn’t trust her cousin though, and knowing this would only secretly be an extension of the empire didn’t sit completely well with her.

She stood again and led the way inside, deeper into the cavern. There was one shallow corridor that led down to a natural spring. The sound of the water drowned out the sound and it was absorbed by the moss and lichens that lived on the sparse light that filtered in from the sun at a peak far above their heads. This was the silent cavern. ”Now we might speak more freely.” She told him softly as she made herself comfortable on the soft greenery. ”Why do you ask about Habari?”

Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Ali

10-27-2020, 04:24 PM

Her first response was smooth yet diplomatic and Hattori found his brows smushing together a little. Anyone else might have simply taken her words at face value and moved on but the shinobi knew much much better. He simply dipped his head, as if acknowledging them as a truth, seamlessly playing along with Venom's little pretence. It was wise not to speak of such things in the open, honestly didn't always have to be a public affair, especially not when pack relations were concerned. Hattori followed her in silence, remaining a few steps behind in her shadow as she led him to a quiet, dimly lit part of the palace. There would be no eavesdropping here, of that he was certain.

Whilst Venom settled and made herself comfortable, Hattori remained where he was, his back to the door but alert and ready to wheel on whoever attempted to approach. Not that he thought they would.

"I managed to get into contact with one of my subordinates, a former shinobi of Iga. I ordered her to join Habari, to watch from within."

Needless to say he trusted Izanami to remain loyal, to serve his interests above all else. Perhaps he had jumped the gun on this, was being unnecessarily wary of Recluse's pack but he'd always been the watchful, mindful site. Preemptive. Ready to strike long before the moment came. If Ashen had nothing to fear of Habari then he would simply leave it at that. In a sense he'd done Recluse a favour, she ought to be grateful given that Izanami was well and truly skilled at her craft.

Venom

Loner

Master Fighter (275)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
KatG6

10-27-2020, 07:02 PM
Hattori put up no resistance as Venom led them back deeper into the caverns. The dull light hid much of her lithe form, but it was easy to hear each other in close proximity. Venom found it odd how comfortable she found herself in his presence, he always seemed to be on guard. Because of that she felt like she could relax. That wasn’t a state she took on lightly or in just anyone’s presence. She put those thoughts from her mind as he spoke of finding his companion and placing them within Habari himself. Venom raised her brows, intrigued at his wit.

”I don’t know if I can trust her yet. She throws off red flags but nothing solid to reason a withdrawal of support.” She confessed to him softly as she watched him through dark eyes. ”Your inner sight could prove to be stunningly helpful.” Hopefully not, but since being around him Venom had much more prepared for every outcome. Even one she didn’t wish to see. ”Hopefully not, but Recluse’s loyalty lies with the Klein name and not me.” This was speculation, but she felt it was true, and that was what mattered until Recluse proved otherwise.

Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Ali

10-28-2020, 10:23 AM

Venom's reasoning was as sound as ever. He'd found that those in positions of power weren't always fit to wield it but from what he'd observed so far the same could hardly be said for her. To blindly trust because Recluse was-at least in part- family would have been a grave mistaken, in his opinion, so the fact she was being kept at arms length was a wise decision. Hattori always prepared for the what ifs, the worst case scenarios, and he nodded in approval that Venom agreed with his state of mind. In this instance Hattori would much rather to be proved wrong than correct, but time would only tell and he as surprisingly patient when it came to these sorts of affairs.

It wasn't his forte or what he'd been hired for but he found himself offering her his council nonetheless. He doubted she'd protest.

"Then I would suggest that you continue as normal, for now." He'd seen similar situations unfold, he had some experience. "I do not believe Habari poses much of a threat to your Empire as it stands." Izanami aside he didn't know what wolves she had pulled into the fold, but he doubted there were enough to worry about just yet. But things could and would change. "Beyond that, do not be the first to insult or create conflict, she will use whatever she can against you. She intends to use her pack to learn secrets and gather intelligence, yes? " His eyes narrowed, he had a lot to consider. "Be very wary of that."

Venom

Loner

Master Fighter (275)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
KatG6

10-28-2020, 03:09 PM
He didn’t offer any protest, that was close enough to approval for the young Empress. Though her mind wouldn’t take her to thinking about how she stacked up against the royals he’d once served. She knew that she was a worthy leader, she wouldn’t be in the position if she was not. Venom had beaten out all of her other siblings for the throne, she deserved to be here. This was her birthright, and she refused to let her father down.

If Hattori doubted her, he would have spoken his mind, she was confident in that. He did offer what advice he could offer, something she wondered if he often offered his previous employers. She wondered how Recluse would stack up, though she agreed with him. There was no imminent threat from her cousin. She had no intention to stir any pots, and she wished to be friendly and amicable for as long as possible.

”Wary I shall be.” Venom promised him softly as her dual toned tail flicked at her haunches. Her bright gaze looked up to him curiously, wondering how much more she might be able to coax from his lips before they found their separate ways once again. ”You think I’ve made the right decisions so far?” She asked him, but not because he was going to change her mind on anything. It was good to have different angles and opinions, and she found herself valuing Hattori’s all the more.

Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Ali

10-29-2020, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2020, 11:00 AM by Hanzō.)

It was rare anyone asked for his opinion, given his profession for the most part he was supposed to be neither seen or heard. But she asked for it and thus he found no reason to deny her. His thoughts were swift and focused but he found himself taking a longer moment to contemplate her question all the same, there was no use in denying that she was young not as experienced as some leaders Hattori had met. But she held promise, lots of it, and seemed to fully understand the value of the throne she perched upon. Some folks simply yearned for power as a means to feel good about themselves, whilst others didn't seem to know what to do with once they got it. He was as certain as he could be that Venom didn't fall into either category, but he would be lying to her face if he announced that she had done everything perfect thus far. He'd always been blunt and to to the point, his mistress or not he wasn't going to sugar coat it for her.

"For the most part, yes." He told her, maintaining eye contact. In the same way that she wouldn't budge in her stance so would he. "However, I would not have been so lenient on those who stayed. What have they done so far to prove they are worthy to remain? "

It was a fine line to walk, she couldn't just throw everyone out and start anew but at the same time not enough had changed. Both with the activity and state of mind of her subjects. And yet if she pushed too hard then she would likely drive her people into Habari's open and waiting arms. His expectations had always been lofty, perhaps unfairly so. But he wasn't all doom and gloom, there was something he could do to help.

"If you wish to be successful in raids they must learn that regardless of their noble blood all must serve and fight. Let me train them."

Venom

Loner

Master Fighter (275)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
KatG6

10-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Venom knew his place, maybe not quite as well as he did, but she’d quickly found herself respecting him and his opinion. Which he offered whenever she wished so she would use him when she wanted. At the very least she knew that she was going to get the truth from Hattori. He hadn’t been under her service for long but was already invaluable to her and her efforts. As to his question, perhaps he needed more backstory. What had proved to her the capacity of the wolves that remained?

”They were there for me when we were raided.” She explained her thought process more than defended her stance. There were always improvements to be made. The shinobi went on to request that he be allowed to train the wolves of Ashen. He seemed to be integrating better than she could have imagined, but she kept her appreciation to herself for now. She’d wait to see if he delivered. ”Alright, shinobi. I can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for them.” She wouldn’t deny his criticism, and she’d eagerly set him to put her warriors through their paces.

Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Ali

10-30-2020, 02:51 PM

Hattori listened but remained steadfast in his opinion. Showing up was the bare minimum, they didn't deserve praise for that, but he didn't say as much and instead let the matter go. For now. The pair moved on and Venom gave him the permission to train her subjects, he'd expected as much but nodded deeply in a show of gratitude all the same. Above all else he was doing it as a favour to her, but it would make his work as a shinobi far easier if he knew he had competent wolves wolves to rely on, if need be. Given enough time and dedication he knew he'd be able to whip them into shape, that he could turn a bunch of pampered wolves into warriors as hard and as unyielding as stone.

But before he left Venom to her own devices there was yet another thing he had to ask. He cut to the chase, as per usual.

"And what of my other subordinates, should they find me. Are there other packs you wish to keep an eye on?" The question was multifaceted. He needed to know of what packs she considered a threat, whether she thought they were worth investing time and resources. As her shinobi he was only as useful as the knowledge he held, knowing was half the battle.

Venom

Loner

Master Fighter (275)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
KatG6

10-30-2020, 04:56 PM
The baseline had been at the raid, showing her that they could support her when it was really needed. A couple of them had not, her siblings included, but they were being shown the way. They would make up their transgressions to her with Toxicity’s help. Those two she had the utmost faith in, Hattori could have his fill of training the pack. They needed someone who wasn’t the Empress to tell them where they needed to improve most. She needed her Daimyo to train up more samurai.

”Winterfell.” She said boldly, naming the pack that had humiliated her. ”They were the ones to raid on me to reveal the the most lack luster in the Empire.” Venom went on to explain, again reminded how invaluable Hattori was turning out to be. ”I’m unsure about Fireside of all packs. They are the most mysterious to me.” And yet they should have been the most well known if her sister had retained any loyalty. She tried to push thoughts of Pestilence away. They’d once been so close and yet her sister had turned her back on her at the earliest opportunity.

Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Ali

10-30-2020, 07:22 PM

The pack names she offered him were unfamiliar to his ears but they wouldn't remain that way for long. The fact that Ashen had been raided was unfortunate but unsurprising, Venom claimed some had come to her aid and had attempted to defend their land but their efforts simply hadn't been enough. Ashen was either outnumbered or outskilled and in Hattori's opinion the latter was the worst option out of the two. But now that Venom had given him her permission it was an issue that he intended to address sooner rather than later. They might not like it but he intended to take the Ashen wolves down a peg or two, lessons always stuck better when served with a blunt reminder of humility.

It was a touch frustrating that he didn't have the paws on the ground to send them to work right away but he trusted in his underlings, hoped they survived and followed in his footsteps. But if not then no matter, he had other ways of gathering information. Of knowing things. But as a shinobi he had little inclination to say as much, the secrets of his trade had been passed on from generation to generation. Though he didn't outwardly make a show of it he was quiet a stickler for tradition, in a sense.

"I will report to you as soon as I learn anything of note. Of that she had his word.

So far his quota had been filled up quite nicely. Another wolf might have been a little overwhelmed by the sudden responsibilities, but it spurred him on and gave him a far stronger sense of purpose than keeping guard had. He was satisfied.