size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
11-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Since he had been old enough to speak and listen, Artorias had asked for one thing from his parents: make me a knight like you. His favorite bedtime stories had been the tales from Tamsyn and Resin of their times as warriors of the Ashen Armada, the fights and spars they had been involved in, the many vicious predatory creatures they had hunted and killed, and the enemies they had faced and defeated. The black and blue pup had spent almost all of his time daydreaming about being just like his mothers, a mighty warrior standing strong in defense of his family and his pack, ready to take down any threat that came for them. His dreams at night were a constant movie of exploring distant lands to fight strange and powerful creatures, or charging headfirst into the fray against the enemies of his home. Of course, he didn't know if his family had any actual enemies, but it was still fun to imagine.

Now that he was finally old enough to be out in the real world and explore on his own, Artorias had tried to find and fight as many woodland critters and other pups as he could. So far, his greatest nemesis, the almighty tortoise, had yet to be bested, but he was working on it. But for all of his tenacity and determination, Artorias knew that the best way to learn and improve was to learn straight from the most proficient warriors in the pack: his parents. And so the young pup was wandering around with his stick clutched in his jaws and ready for battle, looking for either of his mothers. It was still early in the day, the sun on its way towards high noon, and the cool autumn air kept the day from being too warm. Artorias gazed around at all the trees as their green leaves had mostly shifted to vibrant fiery hues of reds, oranges, and browns. The world was still such an amazing place to him, and he secretly hoped that maybe he'd get to go exploring more freely.

Making his way around one of the larger falls and pools it drained into, the boy's amber eyes flitted left and right, brows furrowing in frustration. Where were Mom and Mama? They were both big and dark black, how hard could they be to find? Apparently very, or they were just very good at being undetected. Were both his parents masters of stealth too? That would be so cool! But it was incredibly frustrating for him right now when he was trying to find them.

"Speech" | Thoughts

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Resin

Somnium

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Res

Samhain 2022The Ooze Participant
11-28-2020, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2020, 04:05 AM by Resin.)

Resin

Patrolling never ended. Meeting new visitors never ended. Diplomatic encounters never ended. Was it all part of being mashed in the middle of a pack hot bed? When she'd chosen this place, there was a bit more space. Now, everywhere you turned there was a border that couldn't be crossed. Resin didn't like it. She didn't particularly care for the young alpha of Hibari. There was something sneaky about the girl that was likely to breed conflict. Really, Resin simply wanted to be left alone. She would care for those beneath her and the rest would fend for themselves. She'd already made up her mind that The Hallows would move come spring. The pups would be strong enough to walk some of the way. She just had to get Tamsyn on board.

During a rare bit of down time, the ashen fae made her way back towards the den that she'd painstakingly built. That would obviously have to be left behind. Perhaps she would collapse the den before she left simply so another couldn't benefit from the hard work that she'd put in. It would be a little petty, but this was her family's home. It didn't feel right to allow another to live within it.

As she neared the den, the woman's single golden eye rested upon the form of Artorias. The boy looked as though he was searching for something and there was a serious expression on his face. This was nothing new, considering the boy was the most serious out of the bunch. Save for Grimshaw, maybe. Moving forward, the maned fae towered over the boy that she called son. "Artorias," she greeted in her typical growling tones. The woman's brow arched in a silent question. What was he doing?

[Image: GreYdcM.gif]

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
11-28-2020, 01:59 PM

Just as he was beginning to get frustrated and give up hope on finding his parents near their home, Artorias heard large, heavy footfalls in the grass and fallen leaves nearby. The boy turned, bright amber eyes catching the hulking grey form of his mother, Resin, approaching from behind. Artorias' eyes lit up with excitement like a stoked fire, and his tail wagged when he saw his mother. "Hah, Mahm." The pup spat the stick out of his mouth, repeating more clearly, "Hi, Mom." How was she so stealthy and yet so big? Resin had always impressed him, and despite her gruff and rough exterior, he admired her like some sort of hero. Artorias stepped up to his mother's large paws and nuzzled his head against her leg in greeting to the much larger fae.

This was it; this was his moment. Time to take the first step in the long journey to the wolf he wanted to be. "Mom, I need your help," he started, fixing her with his determined, resolute eyes, a fire burning in the amber irises of the pup. "I wanna be just like you and Mama. You're the bravest, strongest warriors ever, and you're not afraid of anything. I wanna be like that. I wanna go on patrols and fight off bad guys and protect my home and my family." Artorias planted his paws firmly on the ground, expression austere and chest puffed out, proudly presenting his smaller form to his mother's appraisal. "I wanna be a knight like you, Mom. I wanna help make the world better." There was just one caveat to his bravado though... "Can you teach me to be strong and brave like you?" Oh, right, manners... "Please?"

The fire in the young boy's soul was ignited, flaring in his gaze as he pled his case to his mother's judgment. This was what he had always wanted; this was his destiny. But he still needed help to realize that dream come to reality. Sure, there were plenty of capable warriors, but none of them held a candle to the ferocity and renown of his own parents, the former champions of the Ashen Armada, the teeth and claws of the Hallows. Who better to aspire to greatness from?

"Speech" | Thoughts

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Resin

Somnium

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Res

11-28-2020, 05:21 PM

"Resin"

It seemed as though the boy wanted to talk so Resin moved in close and lay upon her stomach. As he came forward to nuzzle into her leg, she scooped him close with one giant paw and licked his forehead with a dusty blue tongue. A serious expression stole over his small features and Resin steeled herself for the request that she knew was going to come. Rudyard had held the same expression when he begged her to teach him how to hunt. Sure enough, Artorias asked for help, then launched into the reasoning behind his desire to fight. The giant woman's chin tilted downward so that she could give him her full attention. He deserved to be taken seriously for it was a serious request that he was making.

The ash and onyx fae was pleased by the fervor with which her son spoke. She was warmed by the fact that he thought so highly of herself and Tamsyn. It was nice for their efforts to be recognized, especially by a child so young. She and Tam both worked incredibly hard to get where they were. Things were going along smoothly now, but the road to the top was bumpy and full of curves. If he wanted to learn, it wasn't going to be easy.

A low rumble of consideration reverberated through the scarred fae's chest. She wouldn't deny him any training. She wouldn't deny any of them any training. However, she wanted Artorias to know the amount of work that he would be forced to put himself through to attain his goals. She pulled the boy closer, settling him between her outstretched forelegs. "Let me tell you a story first," she began, keeping her tones low and serious. "When I was your age, my mother and father, the leaders of the pack, decided that I would be a wife and a mother and began to teach me the skills to take care of a den and pups. I had different plans, however. A mischievous glint sparkled in the woman's lone eye. I began to train on my own. Every day I worked to make my body strong. I hunted, sneaked, fought with wild creatures. Anything that I could do to prepare myself for anything that would come my way." The memory of this part of her childhood was burned into her mind. She'd never forget it.

"One day as I was training, I looked up to see my father watching me. I thought he would be angry, but instead he was proud. We began my official training the next day. If I thought I expected a lot of myself... he expected so much more. Each night I would return him battered and bruised, but stronger than I was the day before." She needed him to realize how much work it was going to be to turn into what she was. "I trained every single day until I was the best among my siblings. Then I trained until I was the best among the young wolves. Then I trained until I was the best in the pack. After that, I tested myself with outsiders."

"The training never ends. I still train. I still push myself and spar with any who care to accept the invitation. I fight the beasts that threaten our land. I kill when necessary, both beast and wolf alike." The woman's gaze was hard as she looked down upon the small boy. "The path is not easy. You will get hurt. You will break bones. You'll curse your path, but you'll continue because not doing so would be letting your mothers, your siblings, your packmates down."

"I need to know that you want it. If you do, I won't be easy on you just as my father wasn't easy on me." The woman snuffled in the fur atop the child's crown in a rare moment of affection. "If you do want it and you commit to the life of a warrior, we'll be so proud. I'll be so, so proud." Iolaire hadn't had the makings of a warrior, but perhaps Artorias would. Would this black and blue boy continue her legacy? That was entirely up to him. "So, Artorias. What will your decision be? Will you commit to the path of the warrior?"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

11-28-2020, 09:33 PM

Resin was always so hard to read, her expression stoic and unyielding as Artorias had expressed his desires and prospects of the future to her. As the young pup sat between his mother's long, outstretched legs, he kept his steely gaze on hers, refusing to look away even when her large tongue ran over his forehead in an affectionate kiss. Two tiny chunks of amber held the focus of the solitary citrine eye of his mother; he had to show that he was serious about this. This wasn't some far-flung fantasy of an imaginative puppy. These were his hopes and aspirations. All he could hope for was that his intentions were getting across loud and clear. The rumble in Resin's chest worried him for a moment; was she considering if he was worthy of the life he was choosing to pursue? Was she sizing up the boy, determining if he was worth the effort? Or was she trying to figure out how to let him down gently?

To his surprise and delight, Resin instead began to tell him a story. Artorias sat back on his haunches, fixated on his mother as she began to regale him with the tale of her life and what had led her to the choices she had made. Artorias had always loved his parents' stories, but this one was more of a cautionary tale than a fantastical fable of battle and glory. His little heart thumped proud and strong in his chest while he listened, taking to heart the struggle and strain she had put herself through in her pursuit of the warrior's path. A twinge of nervousness twisted the boy's stomach, but more than anything, he felt eager and driven. This was not going to be an easy life he was choosing, he had been aware of this, but it was the life that held the most promise—a chance to be fulfilling in ways no other path could offer.

The path is not easy... Those words echoed in Artorias' mind. He would be committing to a lifelong service to others, to the betterment of himself and his pack. It would be difficult. It would hurt. There would be strain and struggle and sacrifice. Now Resin posed him the ultimate question: was this truly what he wanted? Although Artorias' serious expression had softened in the course of absorbing his mother's words, the look of focus and hunger in his eyes hadn't left his gaze for even a second. A small smile graced his lips and he happily pushed his head and face back into his mother's nose when she ruffled the fur on his head, returning her affection where he could get it. Resin wasn't nearly as outwardly affectionate as Tamsyn was, but Artorias had never doubted her love for him or his siblings for a moment—the ash grey woman just had a different way of showing it.

As Artorias looked back to his mother's face, eyes tracing the scars, the missing optic from the left side of her head, and considered what she was telling him, he let his mind wander. There were many other paths life could take, and Resin was offering him an out, an easy escape before anything got hard. But the more Artorias thought about it—the more he imagined—the more determined he became. If he didn't choose the path of the warrior, there might not be anyone to stand in for his mothers' place. There might not be anyone to be the bulwark between the evils and dangers of the world and the good it tried to snuff out. No one might take up arms against the threats that endangered the innocent or the meek. He thought of Rudy, Bo, Gwyn, Daphne... He thought of the other pups in the pack, and the rest of the wide world he had yet to see. If not him, who else would be their champion in an ever-darkening world? Who else could be the fire that lit up the night? Even if he could not right every wrong, surely one more sword in the fight was better than being one shy, and if he inspired others to the same, the way Resin and Tamsyn had inspired him, perhaps he could leave a lasting mark on Boreas for the better.

Artorias had his answer.

"I want to commit to the path of the warrior," he said, lifting his adamant gaze back to his mother's. "I want to continue what you and Mama started. I wanna be strong and fierce enough to fight back anyone who wants to harm someone else, and I wanna help make the world safer and better for everyone. And..." Artorias paused, placing his smaller paws up on one of Resin's legs. "I wanna make you and Mama proud of me." He didn't give voice to the concerns of the pain or the risk of getting seriously hurt. This was fighting, this was warfare, and this was death they were talking about. Those were occupational hazards of the life Resin had chosen and he was now choosing as well. Sure, it made him nervous, but if Resin could mould him into the perfect warrior, those concerns would be inane. Pain came with the turf. But so did glory, honor, and the chance to improve the world. Yes, this was where his destiny lay. And someday all of Boreas would know the stories of Artorias, son of Resin and Tamsyn, the Knight of the Hallows.

"Speech" | Thoughts

One big happy family

Resin

Somnium

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Res

11-30-2020, 04:42 AM

"Resin"

Artorias took his time deciding. The whole time that she was speaking, there was a look of seriousness on his black and blue face. It was very unlike the hopefully, dreaminess that his brother had when asking to learn 'everything.' Resin appreciated this and she appreciated it even more when he didn't answer her immediately after she was done speaking. The boy actually thought about it. Though young, he mulled over everything that she'd said to him. It was smart. In that act alone she had faith that, if he decided to go forward, he would do well. In time, he gave her the answer that she expected: a humble, and heartfelt yes. Very well. She would teach the boy. Resin would do everything in her power to turn him into the warrior that he wanted to be. She would turn him into the warrior that she wanted him to be. Honor would be his breath and Dignity would be his blood. He would protect the weak. He would hold family high and dear. He would do what needed to be done, no matter how gritty or dangerous the task. Artorias would be her little knight. Resin could envision the man that he would become, but for now, she wished to hold onto the child. Wrapping her thick forelegs around him, she pulled him in close against her ashen chest. The woman swiped her tongue along the top of his head, mussing his fur somewhat. In some ways, his childhood ended today.

With the boy still in her grasp, Resin began to speak once more. "Starting tomorrow you'll rise with me every morning. You'll begin running half a patrol with me. You must build your stamina." A knight was no good if time and fatigue took them out. He would need to have the strength and drive to last through battle. A little patrol every morning would help him on the road to achieving this. "When you're not with me," she motioned with her nose, directing the boys attention towards the rocks that littered the edges of the river that led to the falls. "Push as many of those rocks into a line as you can." He would build his muscles and would be able to push himself more each day. Being able to push rocks that he couldn't budge the day before would be a testament to his hard work. Little goals.

Discipline would be learned by these tasks, but skills in fighting would need to be taught. "In the evenings we'll train in combat and strategy." She would have to find opponents for the boy. Rudyard would no doubt be one of them and would learn in the process, but there would have to be others as well. Perhaps she would set up a pup tournament of sorts. Prizes could be handed out to the winners. It was definitely something to think about.

"We should get you armor so that you can grow accustomed to the feel of it. A weapon too, if you feel that you need one." Aside from her steel claws, Resin did not use weapons. She felt limited by them. With the claws on her paws and the deadly teeth in her mouth, there was no real reason for another weapon. Resin imagined that Artorias would want a sword or staff of some sort. She'd seen him swinging his sticks about, so they might as well continue along that path.

"I'm glad that you've chosen this path, Artorias," the woman admitted in soft lyrics. "I know that you will make me proud, my little knight." His disposition alone made her proud. His spirit was akin to her own and so she felt a connection with him that she didn't feel with the rest, though she wouldn't admit it to them. The woman gently pushed the boy out of her grasp and turned him to face her. "Now, tell me what you know of fighting." She was ready to begin his training.

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

11-30-2020, 06:10 PM

In many ways, this simple moment between mother and son had become a major defining point in young Artorias' life. A new chapter had been started, and with it came the rest of the blank pages, waiting to be filled in with his actions, his choices, and his spirit. This was not a decision that he had taken lightly. Many a night had been spent lying awake amongst the pile of his siblings, staring out into dark nothingness, wondering what—and who—he wanted to be. It was a funny thing to consider of a boy his age, an existential dilemma dwelling dormant in his mind, but he had seen so many wolves of different walks of life in his short time on earth. Who was he going to be? That decision had been far harder for him to come to an answer on, more so than coming to terms with what it meant had. He was a child, and as such did not know the amount of sacrifice his path would require. It didn't matter to him. At least not now.

Amber eyes blinked in rapid surprise when Resin suddenly scooped the boy up in her large limbs once more, the little dark-hued pup happy to nuzzle his face into the ash grey fur of his mother's chest. She was a mountain compared to him, and he had never felt more safe than when she was around. Artorias silently hoped that one day he'd be to someone what she was to him: shelter and security. Also if he got that big too, that'd be a nice bonus, but the little pup wasn't holding his breath for that just yet. A soft giggle escaped the boy when her tongue swiped across his brow, matting his fur up in spiky clumps that he tried to smooth back down with a small paw.

Resin spoke again, detailing his new routines and training plans. Artorias listened with raised, attentive ears, peering up at his mother's face as best he could from his current position in her chest fluff. Running a patrol didn't sound too hard on paper—but Artorias didn't know how long Resin's patrols were. His eyes moved over to the rocks lining the edges of each of the falls. Again, that didn't seem too difficult—but Artorias didn't know how heavy and unmovable some rocks insisted on being. The tasks sounded simple enough. But if Resin was giving them to him, she was doing it for a reason, and he trusted her methods. She was the most accomplished warrior in the Hallows, after all.

Finally, Resin got to the part about training for combat and battle strategy. The fire in Artorias' eyes smoldered once more. He didn't know all of the responsibilities of a knight just yet, but he knew combat would require the greatest amount of his abilities. In a life or death situation, Artorias did not want to be on the side that lacked any skills. Then the talk came of armor and weapons! The fire burned brighter in the boy's soul. He hadn't even considered getting real useful armor or a weapon, but that did make sense. A knight had to have every possible advantage when stepping onto the battlefield. Armor would help keep him safe from the fangs and claws of the world. A weapon though... Artorias knew only his sticks, which he gleefully beat his brother with. Were there even more weapons out there that were better for combat? Would they be useful to have, or just a burden in the heat of battle? Artorias did not know, but what he did know was that even the most effective weapon would be useless if he were unable to fight with his own teeth and claws. The basics had to be mastered before anything else could be added in. What if he got disarmed, like he had been when fighting Rudy? He would have to be as proficient, if not more so with the weapons the gods had given him as he was with any other tool.

What took Artorias by surprise was when Resin admitted that she was happy with his chosen path, and his ears folded bashfully to his head when she addressed him as "her little knight". A tender smile graced his muzzle and he nuzzled into her chest once more, letting her warmth and scent surround him for a moment. "Thanks, Mom," he replied, trying to not let his voice quiver with the excitement or emotions he was feeling from her admission of pride. The next thing he knew, she gently maneuvered him back out in front of her yellowed gaze as if he weighed nothing. She must have been so strong to just do that all the time! Her query about his knowledge of fighting brought another serious expression to the pup's face. This was his first test: a test to see what he was capable of.

Artorias rose to his paws, shuffling into a rudimentary battle stance that he had been taught in his lessons with Dunkan. "I know that you're supposed to stand like this..." Once he had his paws bladed, Artorias lowered his head to align his head and spine, keeping his body low and tense, ready to spring. "And I know you're supposed to aim for exposed spots, like the neck and eyes. That's what Dunkan taught us." Dunkan's lessons had been very basic introductory courses to the art of fighting, more akin to giving the pups a taste of what battle was supposed to be like. But when he'd fought with Rudy, it had been a lot less... choreographed. Battle was rough, and messy, and chaotic. Nobody had taught them about that part of combat. Something inside him told him that lessons with Mom were going to be very, very different. Artorias was actually hoping they would be. "Oh, and I know how to hit Rudy with sticks."

"Speech" | Thoughts

One big happy family

Resin

Somnium

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Res

12-16-2020, 07:52 AM
As Artorias took his stance, Resin repositioned his paws correctly. She took up her own stance before him, showing how to properly position ones legs and paws for optimum balance. The woman lowered her head so that her spine was ramrod straight. She didn't tuck her chin like most wolves tended to do simply because her sight was better if she didn't. "Each wolf develops their own way of fighting. Their own style, so to speak. My style is brute strength. Teeth only when I intend to kill." The serrated teeth in her mouth were sharper than your average teeth. The upper and lower sets came together to slice and shear. It was hard for her to be gentle with them, so she didn't use her teeth unless she absolutely had no choice.

At his insistence that he knew how to hit Rudyard with a stick, the giant chuckled. "Hopefully as you grow, you two will be able to train together. To learn from one another. For now, you probably shouldn't hit him with a stick unless he has one too." What? Like she was going to tell him not to hit people with sticks? Resin wasn't that kind of mom. Artorias just needed to make sure that the playing field was fair first.

"During a true fight, things are a lot different than during training. Even sparring is vastly different from actual battle. There is a line that can't be crossed during a spar, but there are no limits in battle." Resin lowered herself into a seated position again, then slid down to her stomach so that she could be closer to eye level with the boy. "So when you train and when you spar, do what needs to be done, but also think about what you potentially could do. It will prepare you for real battle." The maned woman's head tilted slightly as she stared at the boy. "Do you understand?"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

12-16-2020, 04:43 PM

The black and blue boy was like wet clay in Resin's large, capable paws, allowing her to form and mold him to her satisfaction. He planted his paws firmly once she had adjusted them, getting a feel for how it shifted his weight into a more balanced stance. He kept his wide amber eyes on hers while imitating the way she moved her head, lowering just enough to get his skull and spine in perfect alignment. He also did not lower his eyes. If he was facing an opponent, he would want to keep them in his sights at all times. That's what Mom did, and that's how he would do as well. Resin explained to him how every wolf develops their own style of combat. His eyes moved to her mouth as she spoke, spotting glimpses of this serrated fangs that could so easily rend and tear flesh and sinew. Artorias ran his pink puppy tongue against his smooth, average lupine teeth. He did not have the same kinds of teeth as Resin did. Part of him wondered why. A greater part of him had also started to secretly wonder why he and his siblings didn't seem to resemble their mother. He had seen the Adravendi and Fatalis pups and how they looked like their moms and dads. But him and his siblings... they'd come from two mothers. How come they looked so different?

Artorias pushed the thoughts back when Resin continued her lecture on the etiquette of sparring versus a proper bloody battle. He felt a little bit of guilt when she told him to make sure his spars always happened on an even playing field. He had certainly not given Rudyard that courtesy in their last fight. But they were pups still, and they were always learning. Next time they fought, he'd make sure Rudy had a weapon, or they'd both fight unarmed. That would be the honorable thing to do. At least Artorias hoped Rudy would continue to spar with him. He knew Rudy hated losing, but he was also Art's best friend. They both pushed each other to be better and had fun while doing it. It did make Artorias wonder though... could his own unique fighting style include some sort of a weapon? Was that who he was meant to be? To supplement his lack of his mother's deadly teeth with something equally as devastating? The thought made the boy tremble with excitement.

Resin explained how a true battle was starkly different from a spar. It sounded rough, violent, lawless. If he were being honest, it intimidated him a little bit. Dunkan had explained to them some of the ways wolves would try to maim them. Resin was solidifying that fact. Warfare was not a pleasant business. It was dirty and dangerous, bloody and brutal. The only thing that mattered was doing what you had to in order to win. At least, that's what it was sounding like. That made sense to the young Artorias. When you were facing something that wanted to kill you, the only way you won was by killing it first, no matter the cost or what had to be done. If the goal was just, surely that justified the means, no matter what they may be... right? Artorias nodded his head slowly. "I understand, Mom." He paused briefly before asking a follow up question. "Have you ever had to hurt someone you didn't want to? If someone you care about try to fight you, are you supposed to show them any mercy?"

"Speech" | Thoughts

One big happy family

Resin

Somnium

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Res

12-16-2020, 06:20 PM

The boy mimicked her actions, setting his stance just as she did. It seemed as though he was a natural. Though she'd placed his paws, Artorias shifted into the stance that felt right for him. Again, she was proud. Resin had been a natural herself. Though he wasn't of her blood, it seemed that he was of her soul. She had no idea who his father was and it didn't matter, but she was his mother and there was no disputing it.

And then Artorias asked her a hard question. Resin furrowed her brow for a moment before giving a soft sigh. Releasing her battle stance, she settled down upon her stomach once more. "Yes, I've had to fight those that I didn't want to hurt. I've had to fight those that I loved." She wouldn't get into details of the battles, but she wouldn't lie to the boy. She had fought those that she loved and she had killed them. "There may be battles where deciding what to do is hard." With one big paw, she beckoned for the boy to come close. Once he moved close enough, she pulled him gently within the safety of her forelegs.

"With all battles you need to weigh your options. You believe that you're correct and your opponent believes that they're correct. The battle decides the victor. There are times though where you may have to fight someone that you care for as I have." The giant woman snuffled through the fur atop the boys head. She hoped that he would never have to go through the hardships that she had, but there was always a chance. "If you ever find yourself in such a battle... give your opponent every opportunity to submit or retreat." Her voice grew a bit softer, if that was possible for the grizzled vocal cords of the woman. "But if the good weighs in your favor, do what needs to be done and make it quick."

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

12-16-2020, 10:24 PM

The way his mother's expression shifted from a look of pride to grim reminiscence made Artorias' stomach drop a little. He hadn't meant to upset Resin with his question, but he also hadn't realized the gravity of what he was asking. The world was still so fresh to his young eyes, the concepts of good and evil, of right and wrong just fanciful ideas in his daydreams. He had never had to make a difficult decision or face an ethical dilemma in his life. He had never had to choose who lived and who died. And while he still could not possibly grasp the severity of such situations or the chance that he may one day face them, that was all part of the path of the warrior that he had chosen. This was the way. Before he could apologize for asking his cutting question, Resin began to answer, settling down to tell him the truth. It was what he needed to hear. Sometimes combat and war and death struck closer to home than some would like. It made no difference when death did not discriminate. All he could do was prepare himself to meet whatever came his way. Artorias listened with wide, attentive eyes as Resin told him that she had faced those she loved in battle, and confided that sometimes choosing what was the right thing to fight for was hard.

At her beckoning, Artorias padded closer to his mother, once more offering no resistance as she scooped him up closer into the embrace of her paws. The blue puppy watched with shocked fascination at the shift in her mood. He had never seen his mother this somber and pensive before. It helped to really drive home the importance of this particular lesson. The way Resin described fighting, especially with those closest to you, she painted it in shades of grey. There was very little black and white to her words, no clear cut case of who was right and who was wrong. Was that what it meant to be a knight? To fight for what you believed to be good? Artorias rested his smaller paws atop Resin's leg, leaning into her while he listened to her lesson. Battle was sounding more and more like a clash between ideologies, a friction of beliefs and morals more than merely a snapping and scraping of fangs and claws. He would always have options and decisions to make in battle. To be a true knight, Artorias would have to be half warrior, half monk. Give your opponent every opportunity to submit or retreat... But if the good weighs in your favor, do what needs to be done... For the rest of his days, Artorias would never forget those words from his mother. They would become the cornerstone of his tenets of combat.

"I will, Mom," the boy said with firm resolution. They were easy words to say; putting them into practice would be a true test of his resolve. Artorias nuzzled into Resin's chest, letting himself get lost in her smokey grey fur for a moment. "Can you show me some more things about how to fight? Dunkan's a good teacher, but he's not you or Mama." Artorias peered up at Resin with determined eyes, hoping she wouldn't cut their lesson short because of his question. He was like a sponge, soaking up everything she was teaching him, from basic footwork to the more philosophical aspects of battle.

"Speech" | Thoughts

One big happy family

Resin

Somnium

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
player
Res

01-18-2021, 04:05 AM

The severity of the conversation weighed heavily on the child as it very well should. Battle was never to be taken lightly. Not true battle. There were decisions that he would have to make that would change him for the rest of his life. He would hurt. He would kill. He would have to rise up and do it all over again. That was what it was to be a warrior. She could see his brows pull together as Artorias considered her words. It would be difficult for him to wrap his brain around the entire concept until he actually found himself in a true fight. She had no doubt that he would be able to do so, however.

As Artorias seemed to push the weighty words of his mother into the back of his mind, the pup emerged once more. He asked if she would teach him more and of course, she agreed.

"Speech"

(End and pick up at the castle?)