size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
11-05-2021, 07:28 PM
His first awareness was discomfort but the more Rudyard was pulled from the kindness of sleep the pain grew until it took all his attention.  The boy's eyes flashed open as the memory of events caught up and he was fully awake, the spike of pain hit with that which caused a keening white.  The pain was too much and he slid his eyes shut demanding he fall back asleep.  His heart hammered too loudly, the pain squeezed at his skull and there was no chance he’d be sleeping.  

Rudy remembered all too well the moments he was with Oxx and being dumped into the falls.  He remembered the water sucking him up, and after that things started getting more blurry.  Getting out of the water, Fern, Art were all fragmented pieces.  If he was lucky in the future this would be a fragmented memory.

Oh.  Rudy realized a moment late there had been other faces in the room with him.  For a second he wanted them all to go away.  Bo. Rudy had to tell Art to protect Bowen so they could make her safe.  She couldn’t leave the castle or if she did she needed guards.  Rudy could still remember all too keenly the moments those serrated teeth dug into him and that couldn’t happen to Bowen.  

Eyes quickly jerked about at those in the room.  Art, Fern, and Bowen.  For a moment his eyes locked on with a frantic focus on Bowen.  She had to be safe this time.  They had failed Bowen once and she had been taken from them and how much of a failure would they be if Bowen was hurt again?

Rudy started to spin his head when his bandaged neck reminded him of that damage, the stupid tail bone was attached to the spine which also reminded him fast movements were dumb.  Later, later he would be miserable, “Art,” the words coming out almost feverish, “He didn’t want me, I was…” bitterness twisted his gut as he acknowledged what sort of toy he’d been to the bastard.  Those thoughts could wait. “He wants,” his eyes flicked to Bowen sadly then between them.  “He wants Bowen.”

Rudy wanted to move but didn’t dare try, the emotional stress forced to be controlled through feverish pain, “Bowen, you have to stay in the castle.  Oxx said he came to find you.” All the passion of his pain was put into this.  What better reason was there to not have died out there than to make sure Bowen got the warning.  Rudy wasn’t going to look at his paw, wasn’t going to try and look at his body where he might spot what was missing.  

Rudyard Carpathius

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
11-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Dragging Rudyard back to the castle had been one of the most stressful moments of Artorias’ short life. Carrying his brother’s limp form as fast as his legs could run, the Aegis tried to count each of Rudy’s labored breaths to make sure he was still alive, praying the gods didn’t steal him away. Their family had suffered enough tragedy already—he was not going to lose his brother too. Fortunately, by the time he got Rudy to Gwynevere, the master healer was able to get him stable and treat his injuries. He had lost a lot of blood, but he would recover. Rudy would have to learn to live without a tail or the missing toes, but he would live.

All the while Rudy rested, Artorias paced the infirmary with an anxious grimace, waiting for his brother to wake up, leaving only to eat and sleep and when his attention was required elsewhere. Fern and Bowen helped him keep watch over Rudy, and Gwyn and Syanna provided him with round the clock care. Rudyard had tried to warn him about something in the woods, but he’d passed out before he could get the words out. Gods, of all the times for this to happen, this was not ideal… The world was ending, he had an anxious pack to run, and now his brother had been viciously attacked by a sociopath with a vendetta against his family. How could this get any worse!

As if fate was trying to put him through a trial by fire, Artorias’ unspoken question was answered when Rudy finally came to. "Rudy!" exclaimed Art with a sigh of relief, rushing to his little brother's side. "Save your strength. Whatever you need to say-" But Rudy cut him off, frantically explaining Oxx's intentions. At first, Artorias just stared at his mottled gray sibling, amber eyes confused and questioning. But realization broke, and he turned to follow Rudy's gaze to Bowen. Oxx wanted Bowen. Bowen had stolen Resin's skin back from him, made a fool of him, and escaped without consequence. Of course he wanted Bowen. Dark clouds gathered in Artorias' eyes as dreadful understanding crept into his brain like a poison. He nodded slowly.

"You just worry about resting. We'll handle it from here," he said to Rudy, gently patting his shoulder before rising and striding up to Bowen. "We need to discuss this," he spoke in a whisper. "See me out in the hall when you're done here." He glanced up to Fern next. "Look after him. He's your responsibility now." With his piece said, Artorias headed out into the quiet of the dark corridor to leave Rudy to rest and catch up with Fern while he waited to discuss the danger Bowen was now faced with.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Corbin" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Bowen

The Hallows
Wayfinder

Master Navigator (240)

Master Fighter (265)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Res

Samhain 2022Statue 3 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
11-09-2021, 02:53 PM

They were all around Rudyards bedside once again. What happened to him this time, no one knew. The wounds were wrapped and kept from view, but Bowen could feel their absence. It seemed like they'd been around him like this for such a long time before. Had he even woken up at all? Between breaths, he was back in the infirmary again. Bowen just couldn't understand it.

Bowen stayed with Rudy always, only leaving to take care of basic needs. Art was there. Gwyn came and went, tending to her duties. There was another girl here as well. She called herself Fern, but Bowen hadn't interacted with her much. There were too many other things to worry about. The world was plunged into a strange, glowing darkness, wolves were getting sick, now this. It was too much.

As the small fae lay beside her broken brother's bedside, his voice quickly pulled her to her paws. Viridian eyes went wide. "Rudy!" Art moved in, trying to settle their frantic sibling, but everyone went silent as the mottled wolf continued. Oxx. It had been that bastard again. How many times was he going to hurt their family? Tears filled Bowens eyes, knowing that Rudy's missing body parts weren't an accident. He had been massacred on purpose, just as Artorias had.

Rudy's slow, sad gaze moved to her and he spoke, his tone apologetic. Bowen's eyes widened for a moment before her brows furrowed. Oxx wanted her. Had he hurt Rudy just to send this message? Would he have hurt Rudy anyway? The copper and cream fae gave her head a shake, putting on a brave face. "I won't leave. I'll be safe, I promise." Leaning forward, she placed a kiss on her brother's brow. Art spoke to her and left the room. "You get some rest, okay? Fern is here with you. If you need us, she'll get us, okay?" Bowen's emerald gaze drifted to the monochromatic fae and she nodded to her. "I'll be back soon," she promised.

Parting from Rudyard's side, Bowen slid out into the hall, pushing the door gently closed after her. Once the door was shut, she took a shuddering breath and raised one paw, kneading her brow. Guilt ate at her. She should have been able to prevent this. Instead of stealing their mother's skin back, she should have killed the bastard in his sleep. She didn't look at Artorias, feeling too ashamed to do so. "This is my fault," she whispered. No one would convince her otherwise.

"Bowen"
[Image: gSBkYSG.gif]Bowen Arrow Carpathius [Image: 2cnsALh.png]

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
11-13-2021, 03:17 PM

The trip back to the castle with the injured Rudy is a blur in Fern mind. All that she can remember with absolute clarity are the feelings. Desperation and worry stain the memories along with Rudyard’s blood. They had moved swiftly, urgency and desperation forcing the tired girl’s body onward. They had reached the castle and Artorias had deposited Rudy in the care of the healers. The room had become crowded and the gray girl had stepped outside to catch her breath. It wasn’t until she was outside of the infirmary that Fern had realized she had Rudy’s blood on her.

Fern can remember the way his blood had coated her gray fur, the metallic scent of blood choking her, threatening to make her spill the meager contents of her stomach. Paws had carried to the baths where she had scrubbed the blood away until her fur was clean and the skin underneath was raw. By the time she had returned to the infirmary, the hectic flurry of activity was slowing and Fern had been able to sneak into the corner furthest from the hurt wolf’s bed where she quickly had taken up residence. She had kept silent vigil, watching over the wolves that came and went. She saw many faces but the two constants were Artorias and Rudy’s sister, Bowen.

The gray girl had introduced herself to the caramel female when the activity had lulled and there was small space of relative calm. The gray girl had offered her name before hurriedly lapsing back into silence. Bowen’s emerald eyes had caught her own aqua gaze and the gray wolf had a deep sense of longing and sadness as those eyes reminded Fern so much of her mother. Pain at the memory of her mother’s death and Rudy’s wounds had caused Fern to remain silent for the rest of the time, only offering short answers when asked questions.

Time had passed. However, since the world has become in the eerie twilight and it is almost impossible to keep track, Fern is uncertain exactly how much has passed.

This corner has become her home, allowing her a perfect view of the room while also keeping her from intruding on the family. Fern is painfully aware of just how much of an outsider she is but no one has demanded she leave. So, she lays in her corner, vigilantly watching over the hurt wolf and his family. When Rudy’s eyes finally open, wide with alarm, Fern feels her body tense. Artorias is quickly beside his injured brother while Bowen stands from her place beside his bed. Fern stays in her corner watching and listening the panicked words and the effects of them.

Artorias’s relief at Rudy waking up is short lived as he realizes that the attacker wanted Bowen. They both try to reassure the wounded wolf offering him comforting words as Fern pulls herself quietly up onto her paws. Stepping forward as Art turns to Bowen and says they need discuss this, the gray girl awaits her instructions. Art delivers them quickly as Bowen reassures her brother and then turns those emerald eyes to Fern. She hopes the pang of sadness that the gray girl feels as the gaze finds her isn’t evident on her features as she offers Bowen a small smile and dip of her gray head.

As the two wolves depart, Fern quickly moves into the vacated space and sits near Rudy’s head. She knows he is in pain but the gray girl cannot stop her paw from reaching out and gently touching his cheek. It grounds her, reminding the worried wolf that he has survived. Relief breaks through her like a wave upon the beach. She knows that he still has a long recovery ahead, both physically and emotionally but he is alive and that is all that matters right now.

Aqua eyes find his golden yellow, pain filled gaze and she offers him a warm smile. Softly, Fern says, “Hey there Rudy. You have had quite a rough time. But don’t worry, your family and I are watching over you. Sleep now, your body needs it.”. With that she leans forward, aiming to place a gentle kiss on the top of his head like her mother use to do for her when she was hurt or sick. Fern feels a stirring of something inside her and she wonders if this is what it what it feels like to be part of a family.

"Speech"

Fern has a female stoat companion named Puff. She is always nearby.

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

An icon representing the specialty Trophy Hunter Trophy Hunter

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
11-14-2021, 08:01 PM
It seemed it took a moment for Rudy’s words to sink into Art about the look in his expression changed with the realization of their sister being in danger.  Rudy knew his brother sounded confident about handling things to try and keep Rudy’s concerns off of it but doubted Art really felt as calm as he acted.  Their sister was in danger and that was the priority.  Art left to the hallway with those words and Rudy let out an exhale as a few more words were left unsaid.  Later he’d have to make sure Artorias knew Rudy hadn’t sought Oxx out.  He had sworn to Art he wouldn’t hunt Oxx down but Rudy was good at trying to find trouble so he needed to make sure his brother knew Rudy hadn’t sought out the opportunity.

Bowen swore she’d be safe which Rudy gave a small tiny nod to, holding those words as a serious matter.  They had failed her once and she had been taken from them so it couldn’t happen again.  Then she left to see Art.  Rudy should be part of the solution in all of this but now there was no way.  Thinking of these concerns was both more pressing and fought away other things he felt and remembered at the moment.  As Bowen left the room Rudy closed his eyes, a slow exhale as he heard Fern approach.

“Gonna be a while for those adventures,” Rudy muttered softly.  Everything hurt and his emotions were a jumble as he tried to sort out all that had happened, the permanent damage for the future, and of course the pain.  Rudy could say he didn’t feel like sleeping or he couldn’t sleep but really sleep was easy.  He was in the walls of the castle and he would live.  The message that had to be passed on was shared and no one else was hurt.  Rudy closed his eyes and let unconsciousness take away the pain.

Rudyard Carpathius

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
11-14-2021, 09:29 PM

It didn't take long for Bowen to join him out in the corridor, closing the door behind her. Artorias was glad she did, because he was going to if she hadn't. Their brother needed to rest and he didn't need to overhear the conversation they were going to have. The young alpha fixed his sister with worried amber eyes while she averted eye contact with him. He gave a soft hum when she stated this was her fault. "Yes, because you're responsible for the actions of a psychopath," he remarked, tones heavy with dry sarcasm. Of course he didn't blame Bowen, but he knew trying to argue with her to the contrary would have been pointless. She was just as headstrong as he was, and he knew how hard he was to talk down when he got in his own head.

"I'm not looking to blame anyone. My only concern is keeping you safe now. We know Oxx is skulking around here and we know he's looking for you." Artorias pursed his lips while he considered his options and the facts he had to play with. Oxx was a relentless hunter and a highly skilled tracker. He'd already proven he could get into the castle behind their backs before, which meant the Hallows was not safe for Bowen. But sending her away somewhere would be equally dangerous if he intercepted them on the road. They could close the gates, seal themselves in, and wait out the storm or send their own hunting party out, keep Bowen sheltered until they killed the maniac out in the woods. Something in his gut told him that Bowen wouldn't obey any orders to stay inside the castle though, regardless of whether they were for her safety.

Artorias sucked in a deep breath, then let it out in a heavy sigh. "I don't know what to do," he admitted after a moment. He looked down at his sister, eyes filled with love and wild determination to keep her safe and with him. "If I tell you to stay in the castle until we find and kill him, I know you won't listen to me. I know you'll try to go out after him yourself again. But if I send you away until we find him, then I can't keep you safe." It was a catch-22 he was stuck in and there didn't seem to be any good answers. So he would leave it in the hands of the one who it affected the most. Moving closer until he was sitting directly beside Bowen, Art lifted a large blue paw to caress his sister's cheek, gently lifting her muzzle upward so he could gaze into those emerald eyes of hers with love and worry. "I'm not letting that monster lay a paw on you. What would you have me do, Bo?"

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Corbin" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Bowen

The Hallows
Wayfinder

Master Navigator (240)

Master Fighter (265)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Res

Samhain 2022Statue 3 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
11-21-2021, 08:05 AM

As Artorias dryly chastised Bowen for her choice of words, the young woman's ears slicked back against her skull. She knew that she didn't control Oxx. No one did. That didn't mean that she didn't feel responsible for what happened to Rudy. If Oxx hadn't been looking for her, then perhaps her brother would still be whole. Would it be better to leave The Hallows? Lead Oxx away from the castle? Surely she could keep out of his grasp if she chose that path.

On the other paw, if Bowen snuck away in the dead of night to lure the demon away from their border, she would be involuntarily pulled away from home for a second time. Her family would worry, though she could send Bishop with word of her plan. She couldn't trust Artorias to not come after her though, thus putting him in danger. Gods... what should she do?!

Artorias moved closer, his eyes meeting hers as he admitted that he didn't know what to do. The woman's emerald eyes never left her brother's golden depths. She could see the worry, the sincerity and she felt helpless against it all. Then his paw came up to cup her cheek and she leaned into that touch, sliding her soft fur against his rough pads. In the end, he asked what he should do.

So what should he do? What should they do? One sable paw raised to settle over the blue paw on her cheek and she pressed her cheek into his grasp again, green eyes closing as she savored the touch. Then her eyes were opening once more and she leaned up on the tips of her toes to place a kiss to the underside of Art's chin. "I'll do whatever you ask. Sending me away will keep the pack safe and will point the danger elsewhere. Keeping me here will take the worry off of your mind." Bowen gave her head a shake before pressing her much smaller frame against her brother's chest, her ear against his beating heart. "I'll do whatever you ask," she promised again.

"Bowen"
[Image: gSBkYSG.gif]Bowen Arrow Carpathius [Image: 2cnsALh.png]

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

11-22-2021, 03:13 AM

Bowen's body language spoke the volumes of words that her lips didn't as she remained silent while he spoke. Artorias felt at a total loss. He felt weak, useless, unable to protect his own family. How was he supposed to inspire confidence as a leader when some asshole just kept taking potshots at the ones he loved and got away every time unpunished? Oxx made him look pathetic and there was nothing he could do to stop him. He was always two steps behind the maniac. Too late... always too late. Artorias wanted to gather every capable warrior and go rushing out to hunt down and slaughter Oxx for his crimes against the Hallows, his family, and gods knew who else in Ardent who had fallen prey to him, but the Long Night forced him to stay his hand. He needed to protect his wolves first. Leading them blindly on a manhunt in the endless dark would be a surefire way to get someone hurt or killed. His revenge would have to wait until the sun rose once more.

When Artorias touched Bowen's cheek, he felt his smaller sister instantly lean reflexively into his touch, brushing the silken fur of her cheek against his coarse paw pads. She was just as lost as he felt. Her dainty paw lifted to rest over his, her pads noticeably softer than his were, exfoliated from a lifetime of walking saltwater-soaked decks of ships. Bowen nuzzled her face into his paw and Artorias was eager to let her do as she pleased to comfort herself. Anything he could do to bring her peace of mind, heart, and soul, he would do without hesitation. Emerald eyes closed, then opened again and Artorias gazed into those verdant depths while she looked to him for reassurance and guidance.

The next thing Artorias knew, Bowen had reached up to plant a gentle kiss beneath his chin, making his pulse quicken in his veins. Artorias brought a single thickly-corded foreleg up to wrap around Bowen's back while the smaller russet fae pressed her body against his, embracing his beloved sister and tightly surrounding her with protection and love. His heart beat steady and strong just beneath where her head lay against his chest, each thrum another silent vow to keep her and their family safe, no matter the cost. "Fute..." the Carpathian brute muttered under his breath. "If the world weren't ending, I'd send you and Haiku to Abaven until we tore that bastard limb from limb. But that would just put you in greater danger, from him and from the world."

Craning his neck down to plant a gentle kiss between her two caramel-colored ears, Artorias heaved a sigh and pursed his lips in pensive thought. "I need you to stay in the castle, Bo—at least until he's caught or until the Long Night ends. I just... I need to know you're safe, and I can only know that if you're close by at all times." Artorias knew it wouldn't be pleasant for his wayfarer sister to be cooped up in the castle for an indeterminate amount of time, but he hoped she'd understand why he had to make that call. He was willing to do anything to protect the sister he'd thought he'd lost, the sister he loved dearly. Anything he could do to comfort her and make this easier on her, he'd do in a heartbeat.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Argent"

One big happy family