ardent

I Spring, You Spring, We All Spring for Springboks!

Kane Hunting

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
01-12-2022, 02:46 AM

When Fern had woken this morning, the day had promised rain. She could smell it on the wind and had quickly gone through her routine in the hopes of getting some hunting done before the clouds unleash their tears. The place that the gray girl had choosen to hunt holds many painful memories for Rudy and, because of that, she had sought out the big dire wolf that had been with Artorias when they rescued Rudy. Thankful, Kane agrees to help her and she tells him of a spot near Cedar Falls that is supposed to be a prime grazing spot for antelopes. Without wasting too much time, the pair set out from the castle to make a quick run to the falls.

It doesn’t take long before the open plains near the river can be seen and she slows her pace, testing the air to finds that the wind is with them. Hunching low, the gray girl works her way forward, spying a pack of springboks grazing near the water. Flicking her gaze to Kane, she inclines her head toward one springbok that has wander a little further from the herd then is should have. Softly, Fern asks, “How do you want to do this Kane?” Letting the bigger wolf take the lead in positioning them.

"Fern" | "Puff"

Fern has a female stoat companion named Puff. She is always nearby.

Kaneonuskatew

Loner

Advanced Hunter (75)

Expert Healer (155)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

01-12-2022, 03:36 PM

With Auster in its winter season, rain had become a much more commonplace occurrence from day to day. It also made for excellent hunting weather, since the damp smell of the earth helped to mask the scents of would-be predators from their prey. That was precisely why Kane was thrilled when little Fern came to ask him to join her on a hunt. Agreement made and hunting grounds chosen, Kane followed the girl out past the plains and into the woods of cedar trees surrounding the falls and river. The gentle Austerian rain was still surprisingly warm and the air brisk yet refreshing. It helped them remain hidden while they prowled downwind of a group of gazelle-like springboks as they grazed on the lush grasses of the forest floor. The two wolves stalked their prey for a moment, Kane having to lower his massive body until he was virtually crawling on the wet grass to keep himself out of sight.

Hazel eyes followed the movements of a younger springbok while it broke from the herd. The creatures were dense, but not stupid. "There's not many of them and their guard is down. They should be easy to snag. But we have to watch out, they're agile and fast." He glanced around at the dense woods around them. One of them could use the trees as cover to navigate into an ambush spot while another herded their prey. "I've got a better chance at taking one down without much struggle so I'll make my way over to that group of trees. When I give you the signal, start herding them my way, starting with that lone one there." Waiting for Fern to confirm the plan, Kane began to crawl his way around the trees, using his natural brown coat to hide himself amongst the tree trunks until he'd found a place behind a low shrubbery. Once set, Kane used his peculiar trait learned in his tribe of using short crying breaths to imitate a bird call. Then he waited.

"Kaneonuskatew"

As his mate, Tamsyn may enter his threads not marked as Private.

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
01-13-2022, 04:50 AM

Fern listens intently to the giant earthen-hued wolf, smiling as he lays out the plan. With a firm nod, the gray girl says, “Running I can do. I will wait for your signal.” She offers Kane a smile before he leaves to get into position, her gray form hunkering close to the ground as she waits. Ocean-hued eyes track the springboks, paying close attention to the lone strangler while also watching Kane’s progress toward the trees. He disappears and, when she hears the bird call Kane gives, Fern smiles to herself. It is time for the party to begin. She launches toward the herd of gazelles trying to get as close as she can before they notice the rushing predator. Heads lift quickly and, seeing the charging threat, the springboks turn and start to flee. From the angle Fern had started from, she is able to adjust her trajectory as the springboks begin to move, turning to cut the lone straggler off from the herd. An older gazelle joins the young one and the gray girl drives them both on. Paws move swiftly as she growls and snarls working to get the gazelles toward the group of trees that mark Kane’s hiding spot.

"Fern" | "Puff"

Kaneonuskatew

Loner

Advanced Hunter (75)

Expert Healer (155)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

01-13-2022, 01:25 PM

Kane lay tensed and ready to pounce in his hiding spot, waiting with keen ears tuned in to the springboks in the nearby clearing. Not more than a minute later, he heard the thundering of paws and hooves joined in with snarls and nervous bleating. Fern had kicked off the hunt. Licking his lips while he waited, the seasoned hunter kept his paws flat to the earth, feeling the vibrations of the charging herd getting closer and closer. When he heard the first of the herd of gazelles go by, Kane leaped out of his ambush spot with a snarl, using his bulk to propel himself like a massive wall of wolf into two of the fleeing prey animals.

The springboks he took down bleated and flailed in terror, trying to get away, but Kane’s weight kept the smaller animals down. He moved with practiced precision, powerful jaws parting to deliver two swift bites to the back of each gazelle’s neck. His long saber fangs punctured their spines at the base of their skulls, killing the, instantly and humanely. The rest of the herd took off, but Kane didn’t feel the need to chase after them. They had more than they needed and killing anymore would have been wasteful. Lifting himself from their kills, Kane shook out his fur and grinned proudly at Fern, flashing bloody saber teeth in a wide smile. "Good work, little one! A simple but effective trap! Want to help me carry these back home so we can skin and prep them?"

"Kaneonuskatew"

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

01-14-2022, 02:37 AM

Gray paws carry Fern forward, driving the gazelles toward the choke point. Kane appears, a wall of muscle in their path and blocks off two springboks. Even as she is racing toward him, the earthen hued wolf steps in, pinning and felling the two prey in a quick and humane way. With awe on her face, Fern slows and comes to a stop by the hunter and their kills. He is amazing! Then Kane looks at with pride and Fern feels a zing of glee zips along nerves the realization that she had done well, lifting her spirit even higher. A happy smile appears as her tail wags slowly, listening to the big wolf’s words. Her smile grows at his praise and she giggles at the nickname, feeling warm with pride. Kane is a great hunter and she says, “Thank you so much Kane! You look like you were born to hunt; can I take you with me again?” With a small giggle soft, the gray girl steps up to the smaller of the two gazelles and looks back to the mighty hunter. She asks, “Okay, I am ready to help you carry them. Just tell me what to do.” Her smile is bright and her joy is overflowing, making Fern feel like she could the gazelles back to the castle all by herself.

"Fern" | "Puff"

Kaneonuskatew

Loner

Advanced Hunter (75)

Expert Healer (155)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

01-14-2022, 02:49 AM

Kane couldn't help but chortle heartily at Fern's indomitable spirit. The girl had a fire in her belly that refused to go out, it seemed! She asked if she could take him hunting again and the hunter gave her another saber-toothed smile. "Of course you can, Fern! I'd be happy to join you on any of your hunts." The hunt was a thrilling and celebrated activity in the tribe he was from. It marked the coming of age for many young wolves, sustained them and provided for them, became their way of life. To see another wolf outside his culture so enthused by the hunt brought a familiar joy to his heart. "Well, I think you might be a bit too small to actually carry one of them back to the pack, little one. I shall do the actual carrying, you just need to help me prepare them for dinner tonight. Deal?" Turning back to their kills, Kane snatched up the springboks one at a time and hauled them over his back. The corpses were hefty, but not cumbersome. He'd carried much heavier prey in his time. Setting the pace, Kane walked with Fern back in the direction of home, their kills secured and their hunt complete.

"Kaneonuskatew"