An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022GlobetrotterStatue 2 WorshipOverachieverIsland HopperSmall Fries
TrapperRunning on EmptySocialiteBest BudsRapid Poster - GoldSouthern Explorer
WealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! WinnerBy the skin of my teethAll Oozed OutThe Ooze Participant
The Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyOoh La LaVengeanceCritical Observation!Underachiever
ScarredCritical Fail!ExplorerIce Bridge ExplorerWordyLoser
Snake EyesDouble MasterLegendaryCritical Hit!1K
06-11-2022, 01:27 AM
post-ceremony inter-pack drama, take two:
probably night time.

Azure spent the majority of the after-party glued to his fiancé speaking very little and for the most part, simply people-watching. Hana's hushed comment had clearly been heard by at least one other, and that in itself was enough to tip the Champion on edge. How many potential enemies surrounded him now? He could not rule out even his own brother, knowing that throughout their youth he had always been firmly plastered in Aslatiels corner. Surely a dozen like-minded wolves who adored Artorias, Briar, and their castle-dwelling pack were currently enjoying the reception, and Azure doubted any of them had any allegiance to himself, Hanako, or the Armada as a whole. The situation felt like a tinderbox, ready to alight at the first spark - and Azure knew that unfortunately, should any step to him or his, he might be at risk of lighting it himself.

His sister's comment especially had his fur on end, having known her long enough at least to know that her words carried a real threat. Artorias' castle may have been well protected, but Azure did not have the ability to blindly trust in the Aegis' ability to intercept an attack, especially when it came from a wolf whom he himself did trust. If Asla chose to retaliate for the perceived slight, Azure knew her approach would be subtle and swift. No guard would be able to cross the distance fast enough to defend the dainty koi-wolf, and once her blood was spilled, it mattered little to Az how unrelenting the Hallows responding judgment might be.

It took what felt like hours for Azure to find the ability to hand Hanako off, murmuring to his mother to please keep a close eye upon her in his absence. Zee led the koi-wolf away to explore the castle's main level, and Azure split off in search of their hosts. It was Artorias he found first, spying Briar across the room in a separate conversation. He paused in his stride, hesitation in his gaze as he looked back and forth between newlyweds. His intention had been to bring Briar into the discussion as well - she knew Hana, as well as himself - though the prideful part of him still loathed to express any form of defeat to the members of his own family. An apology was hard enough, an apology to his little sister? Perhaps bringing his explanation and diplomacy to her new husband might be an easier pill to swallow. "Artorias, if I could pull you from your celebration for a moment?"

"Speech"

Art by Salt

Both of Azure's ears have notches and tears.
Az has a scar across his right eye, a mirror image of his natural born marking.
Azure has saber fangs, bone spurs on his elbows and knees, and the paws/forelimbs of a bear.
Not all of these features are always reflected in his art.

Azure's companions are a very big bat and a young clouded leopard, unless otherwise stated assume they're not with him.

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
06-11-2022, 02:28 AM

The wedding was turning out to be a tremendous success. Wolves from within the Hallows and their friends beyond their borders were all celebrating their big day with them and enjoying the revelry and feasting to be had. From the moment that he and Briar had set foot into the reception, Artorias had felt nothing but love and happiness from his family, his friends, and his pack. Briar was glowing, exuding radiant joy. The day was positively perfect. Yet there was one matter that remained to be dealt with—a small storm cloud on an otherwise clear skied day. Artorias had heard the hushed comment made by one of the guests in the Fatalis party, and if there had been any doubt that what he'd heard had been less than positive, spying Aslatiel making a hard beeline for the koi-patterned wolf that was snuggled up to Azure had been all the evidence he'd needed.

At the time, the Aegis masked his emotions in front of Briar, refusing to let her think anything was wrong. This was her big day, and she deserved to feel like the beautiful wolf she was, not cut down by some remark of a wolf Artorias only knew in passing, having not spent any time with Hanako prior beyond knowing her name. During the reception, he had made a point to avoid looking in the direction of Azure and his partner, not wanting to test his acting skills while he feigned ignorance to what he knew. He had already vowed to himself that he would not make a scene or bring it up during the wedding, that it was a matter that could be addressed after their nuptials and the honeymoon had completed. Above all else, Artorias wanted to keep this from Briar. She didn't need to know what mean spirited comment had come from her future sister-in-law on her own wedding day. That level of callousness had no place in the celebration of love and unity.

While Briar went out about the hall to mingle with her family and friends, Artorias remained at the head table, gazing out over the party with pride for his pack's efforts. He lapped at a cup of rich red wine, generally relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere, really drinking in the moment to remember it all as the years passed and his fur turned gray. Thoughts of the pending confrontation that would need to happen were pushed to the back of his mind—or they were, until movement in the corner of his eye approaching him caught his attention. Gold-flecked amber eyes turned to regard Azure, his gaze hardening a touch as his fellow alpha came to speak with him. At first, Artorias had expected this to be another menial exchange of congratulations from his new brother-in-law, but when Azure requested his audience for a moment, the young Aegis raised a curious brow. Well now, what was all this about?

"Sure, I don't see why not," replied the black and blue-furred wolf, rising from his chair to his paws and motioning with a tip of his head towards the corridor. "Let's find somewhere quieter to talk." Artorias began to lead the way away from the feast hall and out to the adjacent gardens for Azure to follow him, strolling across the stone terrace in the warm Austerian summer evening. No one else was around, giving the two wolves total privacy for what Artorias expected would be a very blunt conversation. Coming to a stop, Art turned and faced Azure as he dropped the facade, looking to the Armadan Champion with steely eyes that spoke volumes for what he knew. But he was not a vindictive or unreasonable wolf. Azure had asked for his time and Artorias would hear his peer out. "What can I do for you, Azure?" Simple and straight to the point. From what Artorias knew of Azure, the Fatalis man wouldn't keep him waiting in suspense.

"Artorias" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Azure

"Break what can be broken"

Loner

Master Fighter (935)

Master Hunter (555)

An icon representing the specialty Saboteur Saboteur

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022GlobetrotterStatue 2 WorshipOverachieverIsland HopperSmall Fries
TrapperRunning on EmptySocialiteBest BudsRapid Poster - GoldSouthern Explorer
WealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! WinnerBy the skin of my teethAll Oozed OutThe Ooze Participant
The Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyOoh La LaVengeanceCritical Observation!Underachiever
ScarredCritical Fail!ExplorerIce Bridge ExplorerWordyLoser
Snake EyesDouble MasterLegendaryCritical Hit!1K
06-11-2022, 03:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2022, 03:53 AM by Azure. Edited 1 time in total.)

Artorias accepted his request for privacy graciously, leading him out from the castle hall and into the adjoining gardens. Azure spared a glance across the sights as they strode out onto the terrace, both assuring himself that no others were present, and appreciating the well-kept landscape as much as a wolf like himself could manage.

The Aegis' pleasant mask dropped as swiftly as he spun on him, and Azure bore the contemptuous stare with his chin high. "I don't wish to dance circles around it, I'm sure by now my mate's comment during your ceremony has gotten back to you in some form or another." He paused briefly, enough only to read the understanding upon the other man's face and acknowledge it with a brief nod. "I don't know you as well as I'd like, and surely you don't know me, though I'm sure you're aware I'm not the sort to grovel. I won't beg your understanding or approval, though I do feel it necessary to offer an explanation for my mate's less-than-dignified words. They were not meant for ears other than my own, nor to cause pain to my sister." Azure's gaze did not waver from the Aegis' own, a hint of steel hardening his tone and fire lighting in his eyes as he continued. "I assure you, had that been her intention I would have remedied it. I don't take kindly to those who mean to do harm to my family." A wolf who hardly knew him might assume he was offering platitudes and empty assurances, but there was a cold honesty rooted deep in his words. Not even his beloved Hana could escape his wrath should he have considered her words disrespectful, and it would not have been the first time he had shoved her muzzle into the dirt beneath his paw.

"Though against her intention, I see that her words have managed to accomplish harm. I'd like to apologize on her behalf to both you and your bride. I would require an apology from her as well, though it appears she might need a refresher on diplomacy and grace before I trust her with such a task again." Azure inclined his head with careful courtesy, the largest gesture of apology and respect he was capable of toward someone he hardly knew. "Hanako was born and bred a slave. For her formative seasons she lived under the assumption that she'd one day be purchased, mated, forced to conceive pups for some high lord. While she would never admit it - and likely does not even realize it - much of what she says and does is out of insecurity, desire for approval, for love. She is broken at her core, and perhaps much of the fault is my own. Belonging to me has not been easy on her, I'm not as easy to love as the majority of my family might be." A thin grimace spread briefly across Azure's maw, his gaze flickering off the other man's to mildly observe instead the greenery around them. He allowed the admittance to land and hang in the air for as long as he could manage, a touch of pain in his tone as he continued onward with his offered explanation.

"I think she's realized that I do not intend to give her the wedding she dreams of, perhaps felt some of my own lingering bitterness towards your own and assumed it was toward the spectacle itself. Whatever the cause, her words were meant to be a jab at me. She's perhaps the only wolf in the world who I would allow to push me, and yet she still hides her requests in a playful dance of humor, I can only assume to avoid the rejection should I shut her down." Returning his eyes to Artorias, Azure did his best to keep the composure he'd started the conversation with. Deep, personal conversations were not his forte. Discussing something so tender and close to home was painful at best and agonizing at worst, and already he could feel the familiar heat in his veins as his discomfort spiked his fight-or-flight instincts.

"I know you might want to defend your bride and believe me, I understand the inclination. However Briar has lived side by side with Hana since the day she was born. There is not a wolf in the Armada who does not know of Hana's pride, although they may not understand the root of her issues. It's difficult to excuse her - ahm - beauty comparison without waving a paw and saying 'that's just Hana', but it truly is. It's not out of malice, nor hate, nor cruelty. Putting it simply, she likes compliments, and I don't give her nearly enough unprompted. She's quite adept at encouraging them out of me, in her own twisted and insecure way. As she's come to terms with her freedom, Hana's need for validation and attention has only grown. The blame again is partially on me, for spoiling her as I do and encouraging her to reach for her station. I fear if I should stop, that her insecurity might drag her back down into the mindset of a slave." Memories of the Long Night flooded back to him and he swallowed, acutely aware of the darkness that swelled around them and his own lingering mental wounds. He would bear the consequences of his confrontation with the cloaked figure for the rest of his days, but even still, Hana had suffered more. "I hope you can take a step back from the perceived slight against you and yours, and open your eyes to try and understand not just a broken individual, but one who is as near to family to you, as you are to me."  With that, Azure's jaws fell gently shut, silently acknowledging the Aegis' turn to speak, and awaiting his judgment.

"Speech"

Art by Salt

Both of Azure's ears have notches and tears.
Az has a scar across his right eye, a mirror image of his natural born marking.
Azure has saber fangs, bone spurs on his elbows and knees, and the paws/forelimbs of a bear.
Not all of these features are always reflected in his art.

Azure's companions are a very big bat and a young clouded leopard, unless otherwise stated assume they're not with him.

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
06-13-2022, 12:22 AM

As he had come to expect from his short experience with the Armada alpha, Azure did not beat around the bush. He came right to the point of this conversation, that being his mate's remark during the wedding ceremony. The Carpathian's expression remained measured and impassive, studying Azure's expression while the other man spoke, taking in every word and letting him say his piece. One thing he could agree with the Fatalis wolf right away was the fact that they didn't know each other well. Whether by circumstance or by design, he had very little interaction or knowledge of his fellow alpha beyond the two times he had seen Azure and what he heard from word of mouth. Suffice to say, this had not been a good reflection of the company he chose to keep, nor on his image as someone responsible for those in his charge. Artorias was not foolish enough to damn a leader for all the faults of those under their banner, but he did when those behaving poorly were as close to the Champion as Hanako was, and this certainly did not do well to paint that branch of Fatalis family tree in a favorable light nor encourage confidence in their future dealings as allies when Sirius stepped down as Warlord. In essence, he had invited the family into his home to celebrate the occasion and she had disrespected both him and his now wife—her sister-in-law—amongst a crowd of their families. Bold, he had to admit, but utterly stupid.

Azure extended his apologies on Hanako's behalf, an act that surprised Artorias, and it showed readily on his features. The mighty and proud Azure apologizing? From what he'd seen and heard of the Fatalis man from other alphas, that was very uncharacteristic of him. This rare glimpse of a tactful leader was not taken for granted, and Artorias made sure he was giving Azure his undivided attention when his peer began to elucidate on Hana's upbringing. It was hard for the Aegis to not feel as if Azure was using this as a means of explaining away his mate's poor tact and behavior, but he held his tongue to let Azure say all he wanted to say. The woman believed she would be bought, mated, and bred by a highborn lord. Artorias quirked a brow and tried not to smirk. It seemed like that had indeed come true, as the way Azure spoke of his mate held little in the way of love and affection, even referring to her like a possession that "belonged to him". Perhaps all he'd heard of Azure had been true... and if they were, he truly feared for the future of the Armada under the rule of an emotionless sociopath.

Throughout the conversation, Artorias had not looked away from Azure once. He read the other wolf's body language, noted the way he looked about in ways to avert eye contact, observed the obvious discomfort he felt. It was a sentiment Artorias felt as well, as he still hadn't decided how he felt about the Armadan alpha. Azure reassured him that while he might want to defend Briar, she had grown up with Hanako in her life and knew what she was like, then concluded by taking more of the blame by fostering her need for validation and affection by spoiling her. Azure's apology was somewhat gutted when the Fatalis wolf bid Artorias take a step back from the "perceived slight" and to understand Hanako's position, calling into the fact that they were family now. "How I was raised, family doesn't even consider making comments like that about other family," he retorted quickly, putting a stop to Azure's attempt at an emotional appeal dead in its tracks before he could let it irk him more than it already had. When it appeared Azure had finished speaking, Artorias took the time to speak his mind as well.

"I appreciate you recognizing the misstep your mate made and taking the initiative to apologize." Artorias acknowledged that this was rare form for Azure Fatalis and he would not look a gift horse in the mouth. The apology had been all he'd wanted, and holding grudges was not something he enjoyed doing, especially with those he considered allies. "Whether they were intended for your ears alone or the whole world to hear matters little. What matters is that she said what she said, about your own sister at her own wedding no less. Bridges have been burned for less insulting things before, and considering she's the Armada's diplomat, that's a serious concern." The Aegis had no intentions of dissolving the Hallows' alliance with the Armada, but he was making a point to his fellow alpha. A snide comment, whether said in jest or sincerity, had been made against some very powerful and influential wolves. Were he a more hotheaded or temperamental wolf, this could have gone much worse.

Artorias breathed a heavy sigh and shook his head. The few drinks he'd had at the reception were definitely not beneficial to this degree of deep discussion, but it was one that needed to be hard, regardless of if he was sober or not. "I accept your apology, Azure. I don't blame you or hold animosity for you because of the actions of someone else." There was a pause as the Aegis' fire-blazoned eyes met with the cool and hardened blue of the Armada Champion's, his expression steeling into a more severe stare. Unlike Azure, Artorias had no issue wearing his emotions on his sleeve to get his point across. "I can't help but notice that you used more breath making excuses for Hanako and defending her than you did anything else. And then you ask me to step back from Briar's defense since she... what, knows this is who Hanako is? As if that makes it okay or excuses it? That's a pitiful rationale and I think you know that too." Azure's defense of Hanako's behavior did make him wonder though... If they hadn't been caught, would Azure have done anything? Would he have reprimanded Hanako or told Artorias and Briar and made his apologies as well? How strong was the Fatalis wolf's integrity to his family as opposed to his loyalty to his mate? Artorias didn't know if he believed Azure would have done the right thing. Hell, given Azure's own comments now, he didn't know if Azure even knew what the right thing was, or integrity for that matter.

"I'm not going to jump to Briar's defense, because Briar is a strong and spirited woman who is more than capable of defending herself. I haven't told her about what your mate said about her though, because that has no place here today. If you wish to tell her what Hana said, you are free to do so. I'm not going to pass judgment or kick you and your family out for Hana's words whether you do or not. It's not my place, nor in my desires to do so. However, if you truly feel we are family and want anything positive between us, between our families and our packs, permit me to give you one bit of advice—remember that we are family by choice. We are not obligated to like nor care for one another." Artorias took a single step closer to Azure; he was sure the Fatalis prince was considered fearsome and intimidating to many, but he didn't feel threatened by the other wolf. Neither wolf had reason to fear the other. Fire opal eyes searched Azure's gaze for any signs of emotion, anything he could get a read on that might give him hope that the future Warlord wasn't some manipulative sociopath just going through the motions of humility. "I respect you, Azure. You stepped up to try and rally the packs during the Long Night, you're a competent leader, and you were man enough to apologize instead of pretending nothing had happened. I want to like you and think of us as family, maybe even as brothers someday. But don't ever presume to use the family angle on me again, especially in defense of someone making any sort of step against someone I love." Though he didn't say it aloud, Artorias seriously doubted that familial ties would have Azure showing mercy to someone who insulted Hanako.

Artorias closed his jaws, much like Azure had when he finished speaking. He didn't hold animosity against Azure or Hanako, and he wanted to let the whole mess go, but he wasn't going to appear to be soft and yielding simply because Azure had asked him to be. He would do this for Briar, to keep the peace between their families and not sour the mood of the day. He did this in hopes that he and Azure could continue to foster a kinship. But he would not set the precedent that he would be manipulated by his strong love for family. Now it was his turn to allow Azure to respond, to either continue their discussions or to let the matter be and let them both walk away to continue about their evenings.

"Artorias" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.