An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
07-20-2022, 11:43 PM

He made his way to the Gorge after his morning run along the Armada’s beach. He had a mental list in his head of all the things he wished to accomplish before the Menagerie was made. Working on the defences of where the pack would be forming was one thing, and another was getting to know the warriors that would be working with him. Wren’s meet and greet had gone a long way to helping with that, but he still wanted to get a better impression of the warriors.

Today, he intended to set aside some time and familiarise himself with Beauregard. Placing himself in the Gorge, he raised his head and let out a soft call to the other wolf. Calling him to where Mercury waited.

"Speech"

[Image: dg62nk4-76f92f5f-869b-474b-8882-b89098d6...nlMae_v5_o]

Beauregard

Loner

Master Fighter (325)

Expert Intellectual (210)

An icon representing the specialty Defender Defender

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022Statue 1 Worship
07-21-2022, 02:41 PM

The Gorge was starting to slowly become more and more familiar to Beauregard the more he traversed it. He was certain that in time it would become like the back of his own paw, known inside and out, and he’d know the lay of the land with confidence. Trill was proving useful for that as well, helping him figure out good landmarks and whatnot he could use. Today’s adventures, which was traveling a path through the gorge he’d made for himself, were cut short when Mercury’s call sounded for him. The male had expressed at the meet and greet that he’d want to talk to both him and the Armada lady, Gossamer, to gather information on where their skills stood. Well, no, Beau scolded himself. She wasn’t just “the Armada lady”. She was an ally, and soon to be part of their pack as well.

A response howl was given before Beau was set off. A sort of “I’m coming!” response. The yearling was certain he’d have to check in on Tanelan after he finished with Mercury. He’d been with him in the morning but he was trying to make sure Tan still knew he wasn’t a slave to the pack. He was a friend, an ally too! He wanted to make Tanelan feel more at ease with things and show that Beau really did want to be a friend.  

His soft blue gaze fell on Mercury as he approached. He moved calmly, ears perked forward with a smile on his face. “Good day!” The boy barked. He came to a stop, tail wagging slightly behind him. “Hope your morning was pleasant?”

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

Master Intellectual (240)

An icon representing the specialty Weaponsmaster Weaponsmaster

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
07-26-2022, 01:27 AM

Lead fighter was a new concept for Mercury. He was going to be feeling his way around assessing, training, and placing the wolves in his care. He just hoped he didn’t make a mess with his fumbling around. As his own call died out, he heard an answering one. Telling him that Beauregard wasn’t far away, and was on his way.

It was a short wait before the other wolf appeared. “Good morning to you, as well” he said with a pleasant smile, and a nod towards the other wolf. “it’s been pretty good so far, I hope yours has as well” he said conversationally, before raising a paw to gesture to the other wolf. “I figured we’d start by seeing what you know. How much fighting have you done before now?”

"Speech"

Beauregard

Loner

Master Fighter (325)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced

07-26-2022, 08:33 AM

Mercury greeted him with similar pleasantness. Beauregard was glad that they seemed to get along thus far; it would stink to be in a pack with someone you couldn’t see eye to eye with. It seemed that, thus far, everyone he’d met that was going to be in Menagerie would be easy to talk to. He gave a nod as the slightly older wolf hoped that his morning had been as well. It had, but they weren’t there to talk bout their mornings, were they? No, Merc got right down to business, asking the yearling how much fighting he’d done before now.

“A fair chunk, though I wouldn’t say I’m anywhere near master level yet.” Beauregard responded honestly. “I’ve fought Wren when I first got here and lost… but later I fought a… unique wolf and won against him. I also fought against Wren again and she conceded, though I think she was just being nice.” He didn’t betray Tanelan by mentioning his or Mika’s name. While he wanted to be honest, he didn’t want to hurt the other.

“I also helped in bringing down a bear and fighting a walrus, though it wasn’t just me versus an opponent in those fights.” Beauregard flicked an ear thoughtfully. “If I’m being honest… I’m not really sure how to tackle an armed opponent. I know I have my own weapon, but countering someone else with one isn’t something I’ve put into practice… I’m also not really sure how to handle battle-ready companions. I have Trill, my Blue Jay, but she helps me with analyzing my opponent during a fight and warning me of sudden movements and stuff when they’re in my blindspot… but it’s not quite the same thing.”

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
07-26-2022, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2022, 11:22 PM by Mercury. Edited 1 time in total.)

"It sounds like you've got some good basics" Merc agreed approvingly, considering for a few moments. "Your experience with predators means you'll be good on the border while the pack's scent grows" it was good that Wren had found them some warriors right from the get go. It meant they wouldn't be spread too thin while the pack was being founded. He was also able to lay out his weaknesses clearly and without embarrassment. Honestly, Merc was happy to have him. "We can work on shoring up those areas over the next few weeks" he continued. He was more than happy to put in some time helping Beu get up to fighting speed.

"I'm in the process of training those hellions over there how to fight" he explained, gesturing towards where two silver foxes were playing in the grass. The two creators had been following him around for the better part of a week now. They had stopped tussling when Beau had turned up and were watching cautiously. "How about we have a spar, and you can see how I direct them?" He suggested.

"Speech"

Beauregard

Loner

Master Fighter (325)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced

07-27-2022, 08:51 PM

Beauregard felt happy. It seemed Mercury was approving of what he had down so far, and that was a relief to the youth. He wanted to be an asset to the pack, not a hindrance, and hearing the other male say he’d be good on the border earned a nod from Beau. “No beast is going to hurt anyone in our pack.” He didn’t speak with overconfidence, but he did speak with certainty. He wouldn’t give up just because the fight was challenging. He had sworn to protect those in the pack and he would, no matter what. He knew getting cocky could be dangerous, but Beauregard wasn’t the type for that. He could be happy with his achievements, proud for a bit even, but he never let it go to his head.

He was happy to have Merc as a teacher too. It seemed their respect for each other was on mutual ground. The darker-furred male even brought a “solution” to one of his weaknesses, gesturing toward two silver foxes. The yearling glanced at them, noticing how they watched him cautiously. It wouldn’t be something he could master in one spar, but it would be a start to see how they were directed and how he could try to manage them. He didn’t back down from the idea of a spar either, giving a small nod.

“Sounds like a plan to me. I’ll give Trill a call.” He tilted his head back and howled for his Blue Jay companion, certain she’d be there before long. Then he glanced back to the foxes, dipping his head to the two. “It’s nice to meet you both. My name is Beauregard. Here’s to a good spar!”

A call from the skies above told Beau that Trill hadn’t been far at all and that she was above him now. He knew he could count on the jay to keep an eye on things for him. She hadn’t let him down yet, after all!

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
08-10-2022, 09:21 PM

Mercury nodded his head in agreement as Beauregard mentioned calling his bluejay. A spar would also serve to help him understand Beau’s fighting styles. Once he had a good understanding of all the warriors, he’d be able to formulate ways for them all to work together.

“This is Talis” he said, pointing to the male fox, “and Iris” he explained, indicating the more playful of the two. “My Cormorant is Solar” he finished, indicating to his flighted companion, who lounged in the trees above. Seeing that Trill had arrived, Mercury set his stance.

“I’m going to send Talis behind you, and bring Iris up between my legs as the fight begins” he began. This was about shoring Beau’s knowledge, and not about keeping the element of surprise. “Ready?” He said, watching to see if the other wolf was prepared. Once he was, Merc whistled forward, sending Talis behind, exactly as he’d said. Then he closed the distance between himself and the other warrior, giving another commanding whistle and moving his head to summon Iris between his legs. As the small silver fox ran under his belly, he made to swipe at Beau’s leg. “I’m going to try and compromise your balance a moment before you’d normally realise either fox is there” he explained as he moved.

Mercury vs Beauregard for Spar
Round 1/2
Size: Dire wolf
Build: Medium
Offensive Battle Accessory: Creepy Contact Lenses
Defensive Battle Accessory: Leather bracers
Companion 1: Cormorant, Female - Flying
Companion 2: Silver Fox, Male - Battle - Boosted
*Companion 3: Silver Fox, Female - Battle
Skills: Master Fighter & Master Intellectual

"Speech"

Beauregard

Loner

Master Fighter (325)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced

08-10-2022, 10:19 PM

He was introduced to each companion, surprised to find out that Mercury even had a flighted companion as well. The young male felt a little overwhelmed at that fact. Fighting two companions and a wolf was one thing… but three? His confidence wavered as he set himself into a battle-ready position. He wasn’t sure how he was going to do, but he reminded himself this was a situation in which he could learn. Talis, Iris, and Solar would be helping him and Trill become better synced, as well as teach him how to handle companions better. He flicked his ears back. Here went something, he thought, giving a nod to Merc once he had explained what he was going to have his companions do.

Trill was above him, her watchful beady eyes sweeping the land, ready to call to Beau once she spotted the other silver fox moving to circle behind him.

Beauregard on the other hand focused on the man that was in front of him. He wasn’t sure if he should be defensive or offensive, but in the end, he decided that given it was a spar, he didn’t need to push too hard. He needed to keep himself ready though. Pretend like he didn’t know where the companions would be coming for him as he focused on Mercury and the one he could see; Iris.

Beauregard was focused on keeping his balance, his weight evenly distributed across his four limbs. When Mercury moved to compromise his balance, announcing it, the youth shifted his weight to his back limbs to anchor himself down as the male tried to hook around a foreleg. Instinctively the youth lashed his tail and moved his jaws to grab at Mercury’s own limb, above the bracer, as it wrapped around his own.

Here went something.

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Beauregard vs Mercury for Spar
Round 1/2
Size: Extra large
Offensive Battle Accessory: Curved blade
Defensive Battle Accessory: Leather arm wraps
Companion 1: BlueJay, Female - Perception
Skills: Advanced Fighter & Intermediate Intellectual

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
08-10-2022, 11:44 PM

The youth listened, holding his silence as he concentrated on the spar before him. Mercury directed the two foxes, while Solar watched from above. As Beau shifted his weight to his back legs, the silver fox Talis went charging in. attempting to distract him enough so that he would reposition his weight forward, and unbalance against Mercury’s strike. He didn’t however try to land a bite, only nudge against the other wolf. They didn’t want to overwhelm or hurt the yearling in the spar.

Iris yipped from her position under Mercury’s chin as Beau went in to grab at Mercury’s raised paw. Merc let him take the bite. Waiting until he leaned in before leaning forward himself. Using his superior height in an attempt to grab at Beau’s scruff. If he managed, he would yank to the side to unbalance the wolf. He was attempting to win the spar purely by balance alone, instead of hurting him.

Mercury vs Beauregard for Spar
Round 2/2
Size: Dire wolf
Offensive Battle Accessory: Creepy Contact Lenses
Defensive Battle Accessory: Leather bracers
Companion 1: Cormorant, Female - Flying
Companion 2: Silver Fox, Male - Battle - Boosted
*Companion 3: Silver Fox, Female - Battle
Skills: Master Fighter & Master Intellectual

"Speech"

Beauregard

Loner

Master Fighter (325)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced

08-11-2022, 01:17 AM

The moment Talis started in Trill’s cry, sharp and piercing, came over the combatants. Rather than give in to the distraction Beau buckled down, trying not to give in the the urge to toss his weight forward. It took a lot of focus just to keep himself from doing so, even as the fox nudged against him. His body shivered in response, however, and he did his best to focus on the two in front of him.

The female fox, Iris, was yipping as Mercury came in further. Beau didn’t give up his position, keeping his hold on the man but making sure he didn’t puncture skin. He felt Mercury grab his scruff, yank at it, and though it caused him to stumble Beauregard corrected his footing just as quickly at the yank. He didn’t want to give in, to compromise his balance, but he was worried. Could he really keep this up?

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Beauregard vs Mercury for Spar
Round 2/2
Size: Extra large
Offensive Battle Accessory: Curved blade
Defensive Battle Accessory: Leather arm wraps
Companion 1: BlueJay, Female - Perception
Skills: Advanced Fighter & Intermediate Intellectual

The Judge

Administrator

gems
size
-
build
-
player
08-11-2022, 09:55 AM

And the winner is...

Mercury

Beauregard must give up by submitting, fleeing or passing out.

Totals:

Mercury:
Attack Roll: 48
Defense Roll: 49
Agility Roll: 56
Perception Roll: 50
Total: 203
Attack[48] + 45% Bonus[21.60]: 69.60
Defense[49] + 10% Bonus[4.90]: 53.90
Agility[56] + 0% Bonus[0.00]: 56.00
Perception[50] + 45% Bonus[22.50]: 72.50
Total[252.00] + 25% Bonus[63.00]: 315.00

Beauregard:
Attack Roll: 80
Defense Roll: 24
Agility Roll: 32
Perception Roll: 6
Total: 142
Attack[80] + 15% Bonus[12.00]: 92.00
Defense[24] + 15% Bonus[3.60]: 27.60
Agility[32] + 0% Bonus[0.00]: 32.00
Perception[6] + 20% Bonus[1.20]: 7.20
Total[158.80] + 15% Bonus[23.82]: 182.62

Beauregard

Loner

Master Fighter (325)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced

08-11-2022, 01:04 PM

The answer was no, no he could not. The taller man had a hold of him and that was probably a mistake on Beauregard’s part to have let him get and keep that hold. He hadn’t managed to completely right himself before Mercury tried his move again, trying to offset his balance and win the spar without really hurting him or drawing blood. This time, however, it was successful, and Beauregard released his hold as he went down to the earth. His ears remained downward as he looked up at Merc sheepishly.

Okay, not one of his greatest spars by any means. He had definitely felt more confident when he had sparred with Wren the second time and was more convinced than ever that she had let him have their second match. “Whoops…” What else could he say? He had let his balance be compromised and if this had been a real fight instead of a spar he’d have been dead, probably.

Trill landed on top of her companion's back, her beady eyes shining. “You tried your best.” She told him.

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Beauregard has two companions - a bluejay and an arctic fox. Unless otherwise mentioned IC, assume that they are close by.

As his mates, Tanelan and Co. are allowed in any thread Beauregard is in regardless of tag.

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
08-11-2022, 03:58 PM

Mercury felt her balance shift as his greater weight overcame the younger wolf's defences. Beau fell to the ground, marking the end of their spar. Mercury disengaged, and Iris let out a yelp and went running to Talis, swiping at the other's tail and beginning a hot game of pursuit.

Not letting them distract him, Mercury kept his attention on Beau, and offered the man his shoulder to help him back to his paws. “You did” he agreed as Trill offered Beau words of encouragement. “You said you didn’t have much experience dealing with battle companions. Today was about helping familiarise yourself with facing them. You did very well” he agreed warmly.

“After the pack forms, how would you feel about some daily lessons until you're confident you can take on companions?”

"Speech"

Beauregard

Loner

Master Fighter (325)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Balanced

08-11-2022, 05:20 PM

Beauregard felt a little better thanks to not only Trill’s reassurance but Mercury’s as well. He smiled a little, though he still felt a little embarrassed about his performance. “Thank you,” His words were sincere. He was definitely trying his best when he fought, so was there really any need to feel that way? He didn’t know something… so what? He had started his life not knowing how to fight at all, and bit by bit he had gotten better. This was just another stepping stone.

He got to his paws and looked back to Mercury, his eyes shining at the man’s offer. “That would be great!” His tail had started to wag behind him. He had given up hope when he was meant to leave Abyssium of having another tutor… but with that offer how could he refuse? It would do him a world of good to get used to fighting against someone with companions, as well as sharpen his skills in general.

“I appreciate it, Mercury. I really do.” His gaze turned towards Trill and he gave a nod. Together they’d be able to do it. The jay shuffled a little, speaking up once more.

“I don’t mean to cut you guys short, but Beau… The task Wren had asked of you. We should check in on it, shouldn’t we?” She was referring to Tanelan, Beauregard realized. He shifted on his paws and gave Mercury an apologetic look. “She’s right. Wren asked something of me personally… I can’t let her down.” Beauregard gave a small smile.

‘I will talk to you again for sure though! Thank you all for the spar today! Here’s hoping we’ll have more in the future.” With that Beauregard started back towards the den site. Hopefully Tanelan wouldn’t be too hard to find.

/ Exit

"Speech," 'Thought.'

Beauregard has two companions - a bluejay and an arctic fox. Unless otherwise mentioned IC, assume that they are close by.

As his mates, Tanelan and Co. are allowed in any thread Beauregard is in regardless of tag.