Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Festival OrganizerHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double Master1KPride - DemisexualOverachiever
Vengeance
08-09-2022, 06:49 PM

Wren patrolled nearby before taking a hunting break.

She knew Armada could handle itself; she was scouting beyond the Pines and Ship to figure out good spots for a Bazaar. Somewhere on the neutral grounds... or on Menagerie land? That was the question. Before she figured out all the details - hell, she had two seasons before that! - Wren buckled down to practice her skills.

She had long since mastered hunting alone, in groups... Trap making was still a skill she was somewhat averse to. Never before had wolves used their paws in other realms to make such a thing. She coiled some catgut around the stick, humming to herself as she went. Movement caught her eye; the brunette looked up to see a man resembling Sirius, Mortis and hell, Basilisk too. This must be a Fatalis. "Hello" she said politely to him, dropping her eyes to continue working.

"Words"
1/3 make trap
0/3 use trap

put me out of my misery
THINK MY HEART IS HISTORY
nothing can fix me

Azure

"Break what can be broken"

Loner

Master Fighter (935)

Master Hunter (555)

An icon representing the specialty Saboteur Saboteur

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022GlobetrotterStatue 2 WorshipOverachieverIsland HopperSmall Fries
TrapperRunning on EmptySocialiteBest BudsRapid Poster - GoldSouthern Explorer
WealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! WinnerBy the skin of my teethAll Oozed OutThe Ooze Participant
The Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyOoh La LaVengeanceCritical Observation!Underachiever
ScarredCritical Fail!ExplorerIce Bridge ExplorerWordyLoser
Snake EyesDouble MasterLegendaryCritical Hit!1K
08-09-2022, 07:01 PM

Azure had heard of (but not formally met) Sirius' new 'protege'. If he were younger the knowledge would have likely infuriated him beyond belief - the same way he had reacted when Mortis had told him Sirius had taken Artorias under his wing. Older and wiser now however, Azure was simply beginning to accept the Warlord for what he was. The aging man had been adopting wolves all Az's life, and this was not the first who had lofty goals. Sirius was a good judge of character and potential, and if his father had seen something within Wren to offer to mentor her, Azure could assumed she was a worthwhile wolf.

Deviating off his patrol to follow her scent, he came up on her sunk deep into a craft. A polite greeting was offered (and appreciated, Azure did not do well with wolves who could not offer him respect as he felt he was owed) and Azure took a seat beside her to observe her work. "What kind of snare is it?" He asked casually, tilting his head to regard her method of crafting. Azure had made many a trap in his life but nothing in the recent year. It was a skill that could grow rusty and dull and was well worth a refresher on. "Do you mind if I join you?" Gesturing toward the pile of sticks she had gathered, he hovered his paw overtop them and waited for verbal assent before retrieving one and beginning to carefully carve a sharpened end.

"Speech"

Both of Azure's ears have notches and tears.
Az has a scar across his right eye, a mirror image of his natural born marking.
Azure has saber fangs, bone spurs on his elbows and knees, and the paws/forelimbs of a bear.
Not all of these features are always reflected in his art.

Azure's companions are a very big bat and a young clouded leopard, unless otherwise stated assume they're not with him.

Wren I

"I'm the master of my sea"

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Festival OrganizerHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double Master1KPride - DemisexualOverachiever
Vengeance
08-10-2022, 06:22 PM

The man would come closer, sitting next to her. In no way was he hostile. It was a bit of a surprise, knowing what Mortis had said about his brother at times. Even what Basilisk said; that he wasn't good enough for him. It mattered not to Wren on a personal matter, even if she was sad about Basilisk. The boy would always be worthy in her eyes. He was a good friend. "This is a simple rabbit trap" she responded to his question "I use a stick to plunge it into the ground, where the catgut tightens as the stick holds the rabbit in place."

She didn't know this was Azure, but would it matter? She was polite unless provoked to be cruel. She gestured to the other materials for him to use. "You're free to join, yeah. You can use some of my stuff too, if you want" Armada were friends, allies... She had no reason to deny the man anything she had anyway. Even if he was a vagabond; vagabonds had to eat! "my name is Wren. You're a Fatalis, right? I've had dealings with them before." She even had the pleasure of meeting a young princess named Makara.

Finishing expertly with her trap, she placed it to the side and gently grabbed a few more tools. Crafting a small loop of catgut, she listened for introductions or more talking. She wouldn't care if he brooded or just refused to say anything though.

"Words"
2/3 make trap
0/3 use trap

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me

Azure

Loner

Master Fighter (935)

Master Hunter (555)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

WealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! WinnerBy the skin of my teethAll Oozed OutThe Ooze Participant
The Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyOoh La LaVengeanceCritical Observation!Underachiever
08-11-2022, 03:59 PM

Wren explained it as a simple rabbit trap and Azure simply nodded his understanding. Turning the stick carefully in his claws he continued to carve the tip, running his saber down along it again and again to shave down the bark until the point was suitable to jam into the ground. It was the easiest part of the craft by far - with Azure's mutations he was woefully under-equipped to do any manipulating of knots to add the rope to the snare. It was an issue he'd tackle when he came to it, he supposed.

Wren's attempt at introduction drew his gaze from his work, his brow raising in question. "Yes. I'm Azure, one of your ex-alphas." He stated, his tone strained. Sure, Sirius did most of the wolf-to-wolf work and more tended to flock toward him for questions, support or promotion, but the two had shared a space in the Col for a non-negligible amount of time. His scent clearly marked the border she supposedly would have run, and it was rare he did not see a pack member in passing while doing his daily duties. Was Wren deliberately trying to egg him on, for some reason he could not understand?

He was not here to fight with or stir tension with another alpha - especially one who had hopes of considering the Armada an ally - but curiosity compelled him to push the topic further. "Is it common for you to refer to the packs that took you in and provided you support and assistance as 'had dealings with', or has the Armada slighted you in some way? Surely Sirius' tutelage has earned more acknowledgement than that." Finishing the stake at the base of the stick, he reached for a string of cat gut and began to work it carefully in his mutated claws to attempt some form of a knot.

"Speech"

Azure has saber fangs, bone spurs on his elbows and knees, and the paws/forelimbs of a bear.

Azure's companions are a very big bat and a young clouded leopard, unless otherwise stated assume they're not with him.

Wren I

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Vengeance
08-11-2022, 04:41 PM

"Well, it's nice to meet you formally. I'm sure you were busy, with the expansion and your duties to the pack, so I'm not mad about it. Never having a real chat, that is" Wren began before Azure jumped the proverbial gun at her politeness. She could have laughed at it, if not for the burning seriousness behind his words "pack? I meant your family, Azure. I have much more to say about Armada - all good like the Fatalis have treated me. I didn't want to be annoying, claiming I know a lot about your family. I literally just came to this realm last year."

She continued to loop the rope, wondering if that was good enough for him. She hadn't made it offensive on purpose, the talk. Wren seriously thought it'd be rude to just waltz into a community that was longstanding and claim to know anything about them. "Your family's roots are deep, but I do not know you - as a wolf - personally. It'd be very uncivil of me to say anything other than polite, neutral words" she paused, looking up and at him seriously. Though not rude or crass, her words were still polite "I owe Sirius for his teachings, even if he'd say I don't."

Knowing Sirius, he'd tell her all 'debt' was repaid. She huffed quietly, shaking her head. "I meant no offensive words to your pack. I could go on and on about Armada, how important you are to me and my pack. But I doubt you want to hear that. Your family is also important to me, but I can't talk for the wolves I don't know." It'd be easy to do that, but rude.

"Words"
3/3 make trap
0/3 use trap

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me

Azure

Loner

Master Fighter (935)

Master Hunter (555)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

08-11-2022, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2022, 05:40 PM by Azure. Edited 1 time in total.)

Azure kept his eyes upon the snare as he worked, the only indication that he was listening being the tattered and torn ear tipped with interest in her direction. Pushing the gut through itself he worked in the slip knot, forming a loop that the ensnared rabbit would find itself unable to break free of. He gave the two ends a light tug with his claws, and then moved to the top of the stake to begin to carve a deep nick into it where the line would secure. Wren had a lot to say in her defense, and Azure made no move to interrupt her while she explained herself.

As she finished speaking he let his gaze drift off the snare, glancing up at her from the corner of his eye to make note of her expression and the truth of her words. "It's nice to meet you as well." He began, returning the formality diplomatically. "But my pack is my family. More than half of us, in fact, are Fatalis'; and the wolves who do not wear our name still reflect upon us, and us, on them." His head turned, meeting her gaze more solidly so she might be able to see the authenticity with which he spoke. "You've made the decision to ally with the Armada, and by extension, with my family. I hope the next time you feel the need to mention whatever connection you may have with us, that you will remember that."

Returning his attention to his snare, Azure slid the rope into the fractured top and worked it until the materials were as bonded as they could manage. While he worked, he offered his casual advice. "Diplomacy is difficult and that is something I can understand and appreciate, but I would hope that you are not the type of alpha to sit on the fence and refuse to choose sides out of fear of whatever judgement may come your way. There is nothing wrong with admitting who helped make you, and I know my father would be disappointed if he got the impression I did today - that you might avoid associating with his name before a stranger."

Having completed the snare and given his piece, the Champion rose. "Is there a warren nearby?" Wren had obviously some plan for the actual catching of the creature, either she had seen rabbits in the area and had chosen this spot because of the convenience of it, or she had knowledge of where the rabbits would travel soon and would know where the best place to set the traps may be. Whatever Wren's plan, Azure was merely along for the ride and happy for the opportunity to assess the knowledge and skill of this alpha ally.

"Speech"

Wren I

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Vengeance
08-11-2022, 05:47 PM

"Honestly, I was not aware you had such an opinion - but I am glad you do" she knew Sirius did, but the situation with Azure was different. Basilisk and Mortis had different opinions, and Sirius never mentioned Azure except in passing. She left that part out because it seemed to be an iffy subject "I could not know, never actually meeting before now. I chose to be polite, and I don't hold it against you that you couldn't reach out one-on-one before now. Claiming to know a community is one thing, but a family is typically another. I did not want to offend prematurely" She shrugged inwardly "but I won't lie to you" she added as she placed the other rope trap down "I don't assume to know how a family works, Azure. Never had one before. I am glad the Fatalis kin are so close, even with those that are not their blood."

But her expression hardened somewhat. Was Azure calling her a peace-loving hippie coward?

Now she was getting a bit annoyed, and could clearly see why Mortis felt his brother was a hard ass. "I don't blame your words, because you don't know what type of woman I am. I plan to prove it in time and on time when you have need of us" Sirius was a humble man and she didn't think he needed a constant boost to his ego. But Azure was his son, and he would know more than Wren. So while irked by his words, she chose to throw it out the window "but no; I won't sit on my ass and let the world push my friends and allies around. I'm not big like you Dire wolves, but I can still bite well enough I think. Just point me at trouble; I'll try to yap it to death like I'm doing with you now."

She glanced to the side, where the scent of rabbit was strongest. A trap was placed in the foliage, and another expertly to the side. Rabbits tended to flee blindly. "Whatever you personally may think of me; it does not matter in the end" Wren added quietly as she crept closer to the supposed warren "I can bitch and cry about hurt feelings all day or I can do something worthy of our alliance. I plan to repay Sirius, whether he likes it or not. I just need time to think of something worthwhile for him and his kin's legacy." She nodded to a nearby bush for Azure to place his trap if he liked. She'd chase a rabbit to him or at his trap; whichever was closer. While she would like to butt heads more and more, she had something else to do.

Wren skirted the warren, spying a few rabbits settling in for a grazing. She let out a bark, rushing them as they scattered. One almost immediately hit the trap, squealing loudly. It only fueled the fire of the others, who maddened their speed. One shot toward Azure openly, while the remaining rabbit darted into a bush.

"Words"
1/3 use trap

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me

Azure

Loner

Master Fighter (935)

Master Hunter (555)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

08-11-2022, 07:25 PM

This wolf was... difficult, to say the least. Azure absorbed her words and considered them carefully, but could come up with no impression beyond how defensive she was acting. It was quite rare that Az was in a mood to discuss like rational adults, but somehow whenever he made the attempt, he ended up looking like the villain regardless. What point was there to follow in his father's teachings and work at diplomacy when it would be taken badly anyways? At least being an outright ass was natural to him and took no effort. All Wren's words did was confirm to him that yes, this wolf feared judgement. Fear that was being written off as being polite and inoffensive. Neutrality to avoid the potential conflict honesty could stir. No matter how hard she tried to justify her words, Azure could not accept the excuse. If a stranger approached him tomorrow and asked how he knew the Kleins, Azure would not hesitate to firmly state his connection to the family, to their pack and to their Empire, and he would do so with pride regardless of the falling out he and the Empress had so long ago. Neutrality was just another name for cowardice.

Azure's ears flicked back, disappointment on his maw as he followed the woman through the brush and placed his trap in the vicinity. Even as they continued forward towards the rabbits she continued to speak, and Azure responded with soft, wordless vocalisations to prevent the creatures from startling at his baritone. Wren seemed bothered by his words, irritated even, and Azure could not begin to wonder what he had said to bring forth such an opinion. Stirring people's wrath was something he was generally very good at, but he'd never get used to such a negative result when he'd put genuine effort in to not piss someone off. "I meant no offense." He said simply, his desire to play nice waning with every minute that passed. The rabbits were near and the hunt was a much more palatable experience to Az than a conversation could ever be.

Wren seemed to agree and shot forward to spook the critters, scattering them in various directions away from their warren entrances. Azure mirrored her as one in particular rushed him, moving at as much speed as he could manage to cut off it's escape, keeping his body low to the ground so it would be forced to move in the direction he herded it rather then cut between his legs. It did not take long before it, too, had hit the noose with a pained squeak. There were still traps yet to fill, and the rabbits in question were beginning to grow wise and rush for their burrows. Azure placed himself firmly before one underground hole, peeling back his lips towards the rabbits that were considering it.

"Speech"

Wren I

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Vengeance
08-11-2022, 07:35 PM

"I am not offended" she told him bluntly but truthfully. Irked a bit, that he seemed to think she needed to announce her connections with every breath to the Armada but not offended. She continued thoughtfully "I haven't talked with you before now. There's a lot riding on a first impression sometimes. Forgive me, I am defensive - I admit it - but I think I'm just nervous speaking with you." Plus she babbled when nervous. They were not friends by any means, not like she was with Azure's son. She was not the type to assume that meant anything to Azure either.

Wren turned her attention back to the hunt. She had cut off the warren to the rabbits and they all scattered to the far winds, frenzied. She threw one out of the air with a swipe, and it landed heavily. Knowing it was not close to a trap, she quickly killed it and moved on. The blood scent made the rabbits squeal and flee. Darting from foliage and away from Azure's paws. She growled openly as another rabbit moved toward her, flinging itself into a trap instead. The squeal cut off swiftly. Wren went to check the traps - just one left now unoccupied - and proceeded to end the rabbits that were struggling a bit hard against the catgut.

"Words"

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me

Azure

Loner

Master Fighter (935)

Master Hunter (555)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

08-11-2022, 07:56 PM

Azure was not as good as talker as he was a hunter, and the enjoyable activity of scattering small animals and driving them to their deaths held too much of his attention to continue the conversation above their pained squeals. Wren had driven another rabbit in and there was only one snare left empty. Scanning the forest, Azure looked for their last victim. One rabbit had frozen rather then fled, cowering within the grass and shaking with fear but too afraid to run lest it draw the wolves eyes. Azure circled it so he could come on it from behind and with a snarl broke it from it's trance. The creature darted across the forest floor with the wolf on it's heels and soon, found itself ensnared like the others of it's kin.

With two rabbits caught and struggling - and their conversation settling between them - Azure took the opportunity to address her once more, as well as her apology and explanation. "It's not my intention to intimidate you." He rumbled, taking his time in heading back to the snares and the dying rabbits within. "I appreciate the explanation, but If I were you I would consider carefully how you present yourself in the future. Not once did I imply that you would not come to our aid should we call you, or that you won't repay my father's assistance, or that I held any dislike for you at all." That wasn't to say Azure didn't, dislike her, but it was rare he found a wolf he could tolerate not to mention one he enjoyed the company of. While he had no obligation to like this alpha, he had given her the decency of a lack of prior judgement that most wolves did not enjoy. "You found a critic where there was none, and I can only attribute that to insecurity. Not a very good quality for an alpha, but admittedly one that is forgivable in one as new as yourself." Azure was not unreasonable - even he suffered small moments of the same when he had ascended to the rank, and he'd prepared and trained for it all his life. Wren would come into her own with time like every other wolf of her standing, it was only a question of how much damage she would do to her reputation before then.

"A free word of advice - speaking as an alpha who is supposedly your ally - is to get a handle on it quickly. Have pride and confidence in who you are and what you have accomplished, and be humble enough to accept that you did not accomplish it alone. I am telling you this not out of malice but out of respect for what you have built. Actions are not everything, words matter, and I don't care if you show up to fight for us in war if you refuse to be associated with us in times of peace." His next words were controversial, though the Champion had enough security in himself and his position to deliver them with confidence. Sirius might not approve, but the Warlord was only half the equation. "Bonds are fragile; I have to tell you that your unwarranted reaction today came very close to breaking ours." With his peace said, Azure returned his attention to the snares. Reaching out toward one rabbit where it struggled, he gave a soft sigh and drove his claw through it's eye to put it out of it's misery.

"Speech"

Wren I

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Vengeance
08-31-2022, 01:02 PM

To say she would be keeping an eye on Azure was an understatement. Something about him rubbed her the wrong way. Be it his attitude problem, his conflicting personality compared to Sirius's gentler one, or just that he was a bastard... She didn't know. She said nothing to him about his 'advice' and focused on collecting the rabbits instead. Her kill secured, she dipped her head to him. Was she being sullen? No. Was she behaving like a child told off? No, but it certainly felt like he was doing it. On purpose.

"Thank you for hunting with me."

Sirius had helped her and trained her. Keahi had helped her and supported her. Azure Fatalis had no part in it. He hadn't gone out of his way to talk to her much in Armada, and she thanked whatever gods were around she hadn't been forced to bow down to him during her stay. She would have plainly refused until he treated others better. As far as she was concerned, Azure had done nothing to cement alliances with her guild. Yes, she would be rethinking this 'alliance' too if he took over from Sirius.

And she worried about his influence over Basilisk...

"Farewell." And may they never meet one-on-one again. /end

"Words"

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me

Azure

Loner

Master Fighter (935)

Master Hunter (555)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

09-03-2022, 03:47 AM

Wren opted not to respond to his words of advice, a move that was not particularly the smartest when Az was going out of his way to be polite and diplomatic. He arched a brow at her curt reply, judging her silently and deciding after a moment that this wolf was no longer worth his time. Sirius could make all the promises he wanted, but Azure was an Armadan alpha too; he’d have words with the man on who they intended to ally with in the future. Perhaps the Warlord was growing even softer in his judgements then Az had thought he was.

Approaching the second rabbit, Azure lanced it through the eye as he had the first. With all rabbits and snared and with death blows delivered, he unravelled their convulsing bodies from the cat gut and bundled them by their necks in his jaws. Giving one last crush to stop their death throes, he turned from the alpha and strode away, carrying his kill back over his border and into the adjacent woods beyond.

"Speech"