Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Festival OrganizerHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double Master1KPride - DemisexualOverachiever
Vengeance
08-29-2022, 06:56 AM

After the hunt was done and finished, Wren would take Zoey aside within a few days. The brunette needed some one-on-one time with her, considering she was mentoring the girl. A request had been made to meet with Wren in the Pines the other day, slipped to her by Creek - her pine marten. The little guy was doing better now.

She piqued up when Zoey appeared on the horizon, waiting for her apprentice to be near. "Hello" she contained her excitement best she could "settling in okay?" she asked "no problems, I hope?" Once the idle talk was out of the way, they could focus on other things. Like training and being trained and what sort of path to take.

"I'd like to know what sort of start you had in Abaven" Wren frowned, knowing the topic was a bit sensitive "so I could mentor you properly in Menagerie. Did you learn much or were you starting out?" Yeah, let's focus there.

"she speaks"

put me out of my misery
THINK MY HEART IS HISTORY
nothing can fix me

Zoey

Loner

Intermediate Intellectual (50)

Beginner Hunter (0)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Talia

Samhain 2022Statue 2 Worship
08-29-2022, 10:05 AM
Zoey was settling well into the Menagerie. Everything was still within an adjustment period - as well as acclimating her body to the frigid North rather than the more mild-weathered South she was used to - but she was young and flexible. That helped immensely with getting used to a new pack. A new life, yet again. The hope the yearling had upon being taken into Abaven lingered ever so slightly in her eyes - shielded by goggles yet easy to see and observe all the same. But she was still hurt. Saddened. In some ways, a little broken. Homes came and went. So did the people she trusted. That was Zoey all right - she poured her entire heart into trusting others that, when they left (even if not by their own fault), it tore her soul to shreds, again and again. The russet woman knew she'd get her motivation back, but she'd be lying if she said it was an overnight shift. Emotional healing, just like physical wounds, took time.

Wren had wished for them to meet, and Zoey was a bit excited, and a bit nervous to finally meet one-on-one with her mentor. Picking up the pace, the lithe girl - still seemingly growing into her lanky limbs - trotted towards the ochre and cinnamon-furred leader with perked ears and a genuine, but small smile. The Warden asked if she was settling in okay, greeting her kindly. Zoey nodded. "Hello, Miss Wren. I'm doing okay, no problems," Zoey said, voice youthful and kind, but still undertoned with uncertainty and a grip of sadness she still couldn't shake. Her gaze was outlined by bags under her eyes, indicating nights of fitful, nightmare-plagued slumber. But she was happy to be in a safe place, a new home, and the sunken eyes were overrun by a widening smile and a wag of her fluffy tail.

Wren then mentioned what she began studying in Abaven, what sort of start she had. Swallowing thickly, chasing away the memories of waking up to a pack that disappeared into thin air, she kept her tone as less shaky as she could by talking about what she was studying. "Um, er, I didn't get very far in my studies, truthfully. I did take a course in anthropology - that is the study of creatures called humans that once inhabited this continent - as well as exploring and studying various species of animals, plants, and old human relics." She loved these areas of study - it meant she could explore the land and take in what was once ruled by one species, only to be overtaken by another. Abaven began to encourage her growth in such an interest, and she only hoped the Menagerie would let her explore it, too. Would Wren even want to help her in such a field? Hopefully. She fell silent after talking, it was clear she was the cheerful, enthusiastic sort just begging to talk about her interests..but she said nothing else, her gaze drifted down to her white toes.

Speech

Wren I

"I'm the master of my sea"

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Festival OrganizerHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double Master1KPride - DemisexualOverachiever
Vengeance
08-29-2022, 03:29 PM
Wren couldn't help but quietly laugh. Not at the girl in particular but at the whole 'miss' part. "You don't have to call me 'Miss Wren' " The Warden pointed out kindly, smiling and eyes twinkling "I'm not much older than you, Zoey. We can be friends, you know. Even if I'm teaching you a few hunting techniques." Some alphas could be standoffish. Mean even. Refusing to associate and be friendly to those 'lower' than them.

Her eyes squinted with interest at Zoey's answer though. "I'm guessing these humans build the ship we live in?" she prompted the girl to give a theory or two "well since you know Boreas animals... Can you tell me what prey animals we can find in the Pines?" Even if Zoey hadn't been living here long, it was a fair question and logical. She could smell the air and guess too! "let's start with small prey. We'll do a small hunt today. If you sniff you can find a trail easily here. You can take the point, and I'll support you. Sound good?"

Any questions? Wren wanted to ask but withheld. It seemed almost too Abaven. Hunting was a natural instinct and she wanted to see how Zoey would perform without instruction.

"she speaks"

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me

Zoey

Loner

Beginner Hunter (0)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Talia

08-31-2022, 04:29 PM
To her surprise, Wren chuckled lightly at her addressing the warden as ‘miss’ - and further elaborated that she wasn’t all that much older than Zoey herself. So there was no need for such a formal term. The russet yearling nodded, semi-relieved. Her parents, before their untimely passing, and drilled into her the importance of respect to older wolves - primarily by use of ‘Miss’ or ‘Mister’ in front of their names. It would feel a bit odd to her, but Zoey didn’t mind. Besides, just calling the leader by her name and name only felt more relaxed. It made her feel she was with Wren, not just below her in rank.

Wren then mentioned that the ship they lived on surely must have been crafted by humans. Zoey nodded, confident in her response. "Yes, the ship we live on I believe to be the work of humans. Though its structure is uniquely crafted, its location suggests that it was, in fact, used as a vessel for traveling through water. Maybe they used it for trading with distant lands." She described her theory with a thoughtful tilt of her head, as if describing something anybody could surmise from the ship’s remains. Truly a spark of her swath of knowledge already accrued, and she was still so young! Upon being prompted on the species of prey within the Pines, she called upon her excellent memory and scent of the area she had already explored to respond, "From what I’ve gathered thus far, the prey here is composed of species suited for the cold weather. Some deer, some reindeer even, though not as common. Quite a few rabbits, voles, squirrels and birds - but those are typically well-dispersed regardless of the weather in Boreas." That was at least the prey she had scented or seen so far. Wren knew the area much better, having claim of these lands. It was then that Wren prompted her to test her exploration through hunting. The russet girl offered a small wag of her tail, a soft smile gracing her lips at her mentor’s instructions. Yeah, she could track prey! No biggie. Though she was a bit nervous - after all, she was expected to take the lead - the girl let herself stand still momentarily, nose twitching until the strong scent of a rabbit filled her nose. Not a large prey by any means, but it was the strongest she had scented out. With no questions, she glanced at Wren with goggled eyes and then began to follow the scent trail, ears perked and trotting, determined and focused, on the path.

Speech

Wren I

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Vengeance
09-01-2022, 06:46 PM
She looked thoughtful, her eyes glazing over as she thought of the ship. Not a bad theory, to be sure. "No other wolves I've met actually have much interest in humans" Zoey could have guessed that for herself though "they just carry on, stepping over any artifacts we find. It's good to have a different viewpoint, for sure" Who knows when it'd come in handy? "I have a blade I scavenged from the mines near here. If you like, you can take a look at it later. It might be a human relic."

Wren was curious about these sea-fairing humans. If that's how they transported items across realms... It was easier than falling into one willingly! She had crossed a sea herself and didn't really remember how she had come to Boreas. That part was a bit fuzzy. Zoey continued after a beat, listing the prey with ease. She nodded and followed the girl. No sooner did they find the scent of rabbit did a small warren of them come into view. Wren immediately dropped behind foliage, giving a nod for Zoey to do as she pleased.

The Warden would improvise.

"she speaks"

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me

Zoey

Loner

Beginner Hunter (0)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Talia

09-02-2022, 04:12 PM
Zoey knew her realm of interest, research wise, was a bit unique. She had noticed very few wolves were interested in the human artifacts they likely encountered everywhere in Boreas, and she wondered why. There was so much to learn from a species that once, at least reportedly, had much power over the world beyond. But such ideas were mere speculation from her observations, detailed ones at that. The yearling wanted to know anything and everything about human relics - and who knows? Perhaps such ideas would come in handy for their own way of life. Wren mentioned she had a blade, left behind by the humans as well. Zoey's eyes lit up momentarily - a flicker of her childlike excitement - but quickly simmered away in lieu of the hunt. She had to focus on that, too.

Upon locating the warren of rabbits, and her mentor gave her a nod to go and do what she felt was needed. Zoey wasn't one for sneaking up for long, nor for being extremely stealthy. Instead, she raced forward, bounding towards the scattering group of rabbits. Singling out a few slower ones, the girl herded the around with precision and speed, allowing Wren to go for the kill if she pleased.

Speech

Wren I

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
Lackadaisy

Vengeance
09-02-2022, 05:45 PM
Like any hunt, timing was everything.

Zoey herded a few beasties to Wren, who cut one off quickly and easily enough. She tried to kill it before it signaled the whole warren, its cry more of a startled gasp at the adult emerging from the brush. She stomped onto the paused rabbit, biting its neck as she pinned it. The two others took off, one stupidly going directly at Zoey.

Wren chased the other, a flick of her tail to the younger woman to get the other. Menagerie would eat well tonight, all things considered. They really needed more hunters. A good thing Zoey was so open to providing for the guild and also studying humans. Who knows? Maybe the humans had effective ways of hunting too.

The thought was interesting.

"she speaks"

put me out of my misery
nothing can fix me