Expert Fighter (135)

Expert Hunter (171)

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy

Samhain 2022Statue 4 Worship
10-30-2022, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2022, 12:49 AM by Alexander. Edited 2 times in total.)
The boy had seen winter and he had seen autumn. There was no more snow on the ground and instead dead, brown grass and brittle plant life could be found throughout the territory of the falls. His mother had said that these falls, the Lazuli Falls, were going to be their home now and that they would have to leave again unless they wanted to explore the neighboring territories someday. That was how Alexander liked it, truth be told. He liked having somewhere that was just for their family, where they could play and have fun together without fear. But something in his mother’s gaze told them there was more to it, not that she seemed ready to tell the kids.

Another thing Alex had noticed was the pretty colors that were floating around the land too. His father called them “gases” and the tiny winged male seemed worried about them though Alex didn’t really understand why. They didn’t seem dangerous… But for his father’s peace of mind, the boy had agreed to avoid them as much as he was able. Instead, he was going to focus on taking each day as it came.

“Ears,” The boy whined to his mother’s companion. “You promised that we’d practice fighting today! Come on!” There was an eagerness to his voice and it reflected in his shining, green gaze. His mother’s companion had promised him that once he was doing better he would teach the boy about defenses for battles and then, once he got them down, he would even spar with the kid! It had been all that Alexander had been thinking about the past few days… and at last, that day had arrived.

The Tasmanian Devil let out a soft chuckle. “So eager to learn about the art of fighting. You’re Bellamy’s kid alright.” Ears flashed him a grin. “Well, I’ve made the promise so may as well make good on it.” He made for the ledge that lead past the back of the falls and into the open area before the pool they fell into. Alexander followed.

“One of the most important parts of battle is to keep calm and not allow your emotions to get the better of you. Once your rage or sadness takes hold of you, you will become vulnerable, and start making mistakes… in a serious battle, it is something you can ill afford to do. It is best to separate yourself from your emotions, at least for a time. If you can at least. Some warriors can not.”

Alexander tilted his head to the side in confusion. “Separate me from my emotions? Does mom do that?” He frowned, remembering the scars on her shoulders. “Did she get those claw marks on her shoulders because she couldn’t?” He asked.

“They’re called scars and yes, your mother got them for being reckless.” The Devil glanced back at the pup. “Your mother is a good woman. I’ve known her pretty much all of our lives. She saved me, though she had no debt to pay at the time. She is a prime example of one who lets her emotions rule her, but I’ve never met someone who would feel as strongly as she does.” The Tasmanian Devil found a suitable spot and turned back to the pup.

“This looks like a good spot. The ground is flat and even. Now,” He met Alexander’s gaze. “Do as I do.” Their training could begin. Once the pup had moved into position the Devil could begin instruction.

Alexander spoke as he did so however, his voice become quieter. “Hey Ears…” The boy glanced to the devil. “Do you think if my siblings and I become strong enough we’ll be able to help with whatever makes mom sad? It seems like something big is weighing on her… and it makes her angry sometimes too.”

At Alexander’s question, the devil paused.

“Perhaps when you are older. Your mother would never let you put yourself in danger, small as you and your siblings are. But as you age you will be one of the ones defending Ethne and its members. For now, however, you do the most good by learning how to defend yourself.” Ears told him.

“Now, the first thing you need to do is widen your stance. Spread your legs so that they are aligned with your shoulders and hips and then distribute your weight evenly across your four limbs. This allows you to move freely or anchor down in preparation for an attack. Always worry about your balance in battle - getting toppled in a serious find can have its dangers.”[/color] Alexander did as he was told, waiting for Ears to move on.

“Good, good. Now I want you to lower your head to align with your spine. Likewise, you will lift your tail to do the same. Your tail is a useful tool in battle, aiding you with balance and sharper movements. Should your opponent get behind you, however, tuck your tail to avoid it getting bitten or torn off.” The boy would shift his body to do as instructed and the Tasmanian devil gave an approving nod.

“Yes! Good job, just like that. Now you have a good stance. To make it better you’re going to want to splay, or spread out your toes. Have your claws dig into the soil to give you a traction boost and help keep you grounded when in a fight. You’re also going to want to raise your hackles as the fluffing of the fur will act as a mild buffer against bites.

Finally, you’ll want to pay careful attention to your face. Pin your ears against your skull so they can’t be grabbed and get torn away. Head wounds bleed a lot so try to avoid anyone grabbing or biting you here. Narrow your eyes as well to protect them not just from attacks but from potential environmental damage as well. Finally, once all other defenses are set then you’re going to tuck your chin. This step is important: If someone gets your neck it’s all over.”

Alex drew in a breath as Ears finished speaking and all of his defenses were set. “Will this be easier to do as I get bigger?”

Ears gave a nod. “Yeah and you’ll be able to do it faster too.” The devil nudged the boy’s shoulder. “That's it for the day, kid. Why don’t you go play with your siblings now? We can do another lesson in a few days for now.”

Alexander grinned, wiggling with excitement as he broke his stance. “Okay! Thanks, Ears!” With the lesson over the pup bolted off, looking for one or more of his siblings to join for some fun.

Word Count: 1,122 Words

"Family"