size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

OverachieverCritical Observation!1KSnake EyesRapid Poster - Bronze
10-14-2023, 10:10 PM

The boy asks a lot of her, but Bylgja does not begrudge him that. She clears her throat, and says her name again: "Hausakljúfr." Skull-cleaver. It means quite a bit to her. The woman does not impose, still, but when he asks of the dagger, her head cocks to one side, her ears swivel forward.

But she does not intend to refuse him, even now. "I can ask him, yes. It may wait until after the Thing. Until after you are freed. That is when he will be most amicable, I think. But--" And here, she pauses, her paw drawing across the snow. "I had not... intended to ask you. But how did he come to claim you, if he took you himself?" She had a bit of an idea, because Strai was surly now, and she could only imagine how the whelp had been when he was even younger, and even more afraid.

"I know it may be shameful. But if I know, I can present it to him differently-- the you of then, versus the you of now-- the you that leapt atop a reindeer and dug his claws in." It is said carefully, as she doesn't want to upset him. She hopes-- hopes that he understands.

"Bylgja"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-14-2023, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2023, 11:05 PM by Astraios. Edited 3 times in total.)
Hausakljúfr. He would do well to remember that. Astraios Hausakljúfr. It had a better ring to it than the name he was leaving behind. When she spoke of his dagger, of leaving it until after he was freed… he did not know when that would be. He sighed softly, and scowled. He didn’t know what he was expecting, exactly, but he wanted it now. It belonged to him. He had hoped for too much.

The you that leapt atop a reindeer and dug his claws in. Well. Vidarr wouldn’t exactly think he had changed much, presented that way. He could see how the information would benefit her, as the one asking for his freedom. “I trespassed into Heiðinn territory and attempted to steal food.” He’d been half starved at the time. It wasn’t long after his parents had died, and he had felt his strength waning. “I was caught… by Vidarr’s son. We fought… I scarred him.” It had made sense to him at the time. “Vidarr showed up, so I fought him, too. I lost. When I woke up, I… fought him again.” He’d had a lot of pent up rage. His expression was a little wry, and then changed to an angry scowl. “Then he stole my dagger, and made me a thrall.”

"Speech"

[Image: Au67KGz.png]

Bylgja

Loner

Advanced Fighter (75)

Intermediate Healer (50)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

10-14-2023, 11:35 PM

She listened. Her ears swivelled forward. If he had stolen food, she could spin that as him having been desperate to survive. But then he revealed what had happened, and her brow points rose up sharply. A little smile flickered on the side of her snout; she had to remain serious, but she was somewhat impressed by the boy's spark, to say the least. He'd fought Vidarr twice and scratched his son? Scarred his son, even. Bylgja could see why the boy had been made a Thrall, certainly, after that... but he had been left alive, and given a chance to earn his freedom.

She nodded, once, then said: "How long ago was this?" That, too, would be important: she needed to know, so she could try to get a better handle on the time that had passed. Now, Strai wasn't living the most wonderful of lives, but he was alive-- a Thrall, yes, but alive. While he had been foolish, she felt... it would be good to speak for him. A scared and lonely and starving child could not be expected to think rationally, and he had clearly matured.

"Twice! I can't say I'm surprised. I'll speak with Vidarr, to try to gauge his feeling on this before the Thing, perhaps. But I will ask each season, if I must, until you are freed." She had clearly not changed her opinion on the boy, given all this information. Bylgja motioned with her chin--"I think we should start disassembling the reindeer, Strai. Take what you need, first, then we can harvest the rest for common cause." It would do good if the pack saw Strai contributing a kill in this way, she supposed.

"Bylgja"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-14-2023, 11:53 PM
He scrunched up his nose in thought, and was surprised by the answer. He had been in Heiðinn almost as long as he had been out of it now. He supposed he had changed a lot since those days. He got fed more regularly, and made… friends. “It’s been… two seasons come Spring” He said after a moment's thought.

She was on his side. It still astounded him that it had happened, but for better or worse, Bylgja was on his team. He knew it’ll be a while before he stopped looking for the catch. But he’d use what he could, he’d stick by her. He had no idea how this would all turn out but he surprised himself to realise how willing he was to give it a go. What was Delphi going to think?

She turned his attention back to the deer, and he turned to see it had finished its death throes some time ago. Its blood had cooled. Actually, its blood had cooled on its body. On the snow. On him, and on Bylgja. They were a bit of a mess. “Right” He agreed, moving over to the deer. He unsheathed his claws, and got to work making incisions to split the coat from the body. “Do we… have to give meat to the stores?” He was reluctant to part with any morsel of food, even such a great bounty as this one.

"Speech"

Bylgja

Loner

Advanced Fighter (75)

Intermediate Healer (50)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

10-15-2023, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 12:11 AM by Bylgja. Edited 1 time in total.)

Two seasons come spring. She sized him up-- only a few months, but he was young, and that was ... probably quite a bit of his life. He must have been young, certainly. Bylgja nods. "... two seasons."Her ears pin back. She isn't the smartest of women, but she's smart enough to know that she can play this to their mutual advantage. "So... it's even more important you be seen giving meat to the stores." Her voice isn't harsh, but it is strong, nonetheless.

As Strai begins to break down the reindeer, Bylgja speaks up. "Save me the pelt-- the head and neck portion. I can make that into a neck guard for you, if you'd rather have that than a shield." She pauses. "I'll look for herbs. There's plenty here. You continue to break that down."

With that, Bylgja finally picks up her axe and places it back on her side, before she begins to snuffle about in the snow, looking at the bases of nearby ragged rocks, digging under patches where it seems that medicinal herbs could have gotten stuck. "You don't have to give all of the meat to the stores. Just some. Take as much as you need. We will give the pack the rest. It'll be good, in your favor." She looks up from her search only long enough to speak to him.

"Bylgja"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-15-2023, 12:58 AM
Astraios sighed, but didn’t push any further. He’d be able to take some of the meat, and he wouldn’t be able to get through the entire reindeer before the meat went bad anyway. Even if he did store it in the snow. He split the pelt, and peeled it from the reindeer. At her request, he made a few more cuts and separated the head and neck, and placed it to the side.

Next, there was the meat. He carved up a portion for himself and Bylgja, and put the rest - the larger share - aside for the pack. They’d probably need to take a couple trips to get the full use out of the reindeer. There was also the matter of the blood that had dried and crusted into his coat. “Alright, this is about ready to go to the stores. Do you… need a hand with the herbs?” Not that he knew anything about handling them. The last time he had handled herbs, it had been to spill Delphi’s into the mud before stomping on them.

"Speech"

Bylgja

Loner

Advanced Fighter (75)

Intermediate Healer (50)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

10-15-2023, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 03:09 AM by Bylgja. Edited 1 time in total.)

It doesn't take her much time of digging about with her nose before she finds a small cluster of elderberries, which were saved from snowfall by a particularly-turned rock. She made a pleased sound, plucking the elderberries carefully and putting them in a small pocket on her axe-sheathe, which had been left precisely for that purpose. She looked back to Astraios and approached him with a pleasant step, before crossing close again, and gesturing for the boy to approach her once more.

At that point, she finished up what she had begun before: she nudged at his jaws, his side, his neck, with her paws. Her goal was to ensure nothing had been sprained or pulled. She doubted anything had been, but considering the boy had almost been crushed entirely... there was nothing wrong with a quick double-check.

"Nothing hurt before-- but let me know if anything does now. I'll get back to looking once I've checked you over."

"Bylgja"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-15-2023, 11:25 AM
He frowned at Bylgja, but approached at her command. When he stopped before her however, she immediately began to manhandle him. He flinched as her paws first landed on his jaws, before steeling himself. Looking for all the world like someone enduring something painful, despite the light touch of her paws. Despite the moment they had shared earlier with the kind of hugging, it was clear he wasn't comfortable with touch. But he didn't complain or fight her. Still discovering the bounds of their new relationship. Because of Delphi, he could understand the desire to ensure someone was unharmed. 

When she was done, he leaned back. Putting a little space between them. "I'm unharmed" he told her, he bounced back easily from things like a deer dropping on him.

Bylgja

Loner

Advanced Fighter (75)

Intermediate Healer (50)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

10-15-2023, 06:43 PM
He was clearly uncomfortable, but Bylgja needed to be sure. She had seen injuries that looked fine turn ... darker, infected. She had seen a man survive a fall, only to die later from something that had broken inside of him, something nestled within his guts that someone else had missed.

But once she was done, she stepped back and looked relieved to have done so.

Much better.

Her tail flicked. "Good. I wanted to be sure." Then she collected the pelt-pieces that had been set aside for her. "Thank you for these. I will begin making you ... something. Come-- we should take the share back. I can show you my den, for when you wish to rest in it."

As her son. Astraios may crash any of Bylgja's threads.

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-15-2023, 06:56 PM
Strai yawned as he reached for what he could carry, using the remaining hide as a sling. He left the rest for the larger wolf, and started off. They made it to the packs stores, and added their meat to the collection. He ensured he left his scent on the reindeer. The point of giving away this much food was to benefit him, after all.

Once they were done in the stores, he followed Bylgja to her den. It astounded him that he had only known her for one day. They had shared much, and promised much. Only time would tell him if she would keep her word. Trust would be cemented once he had his freedom- and his mothers dagger. They arrived at the den just as he was stifling another yawn, and he looked around himself with interest. It was definitely a few steps up from his hole in the wall.

Bylgja

Loner

Advanced Fighter (75)

Intermediate Healer (50)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

10-16-2023, 06:27 PM

The boy looked like he was beginning to tire. Bylgja could not blame him-- he had been busy. As they prepared to head back, she did a final scour of the area-- plucking more elderberries, having discovered them under another outcrop of snow and stone. What a good find.

As they returned the meat, Bylgja felt pride in her chest. He was going to be free soon-- she could see to that much -- and he was sure to make it clear that the reindeer came from him. Perfect.

After, she gestured with her muzzle, directing Strai towards her den-- it wasn't so ornate as some others, but there was a series of pelts on the floor of it, and it was very warm and snug, hidden at an angle that kept it away from most winds. "I've yet to put much decoration up," she admits. "I've been busy! But come in, come in--" and she ducks inside, placing her requested skins out to cure.

"There are berries in that dish there. Safe to eat. A snack, while I work." Once they're in, she pulls out a circle of wood and leather. "I'm working on a ... side-shield. My thought is-- bulwark on the ribs, and leather across the back."

"Bylgja"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-17-2023, 10:24 PM

He had to admit, he was rather curious about her den at this point. The older wolf had gotten herself a den that was sheltered from the wind, and tall enough for him to feel comfortable standing up in. There was the scent of herbs in the air, which reminded him of Delphi. There was also a collection of pelts on the floor, which beat the two rabbit furs he had strung together.

His attention turned to the berries as she pointed them out to him. He grabbed a pawful and stuffed them into his cheeks, chewing as he let his eyes glance around the rest of the den. “You sure you don’t mind me… crashing here every now and then?” He asked her.

"Bylgja" & "Strai"

Bylgja

Loner

Advanced Fighter (75)

Intermediate Healer (50)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

10-18-2023, 12:40 AM
She watched the boy take several berries; he looked rather like one of the rodents that she chased sometimes.

Bylgja stretched out. She got comfortable, eyes half-closed and sides rising, falling. The day had been busy. Now that she was in her den, she felt pleased but also became aware of being tired.

"No, I don't mind. Just, uh-- if you knock something over, pick it up. All of that. Is not a problem, though!" She beamed, tongue lolling between her teeth. "Besides. How else will you get out of the cold, eh?"

Astraios

Hemlock
Mender

Master Fighter (240)

Expert Hunter (220)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
10-18-2023, 12:54 AM

When she closed her eyes, he grabbed another handful of berries. Enjoying their sweetness. With Bylgja relaxing, he trotted around the den with a little more carefree inclination. Exploring the place. He picked out a place to sleep, and went to grab one of her coats. Glancing up at her to see if she would protest as he gripped it in his teeth, and grabbed it over to the side. It wouldn’t be for long. Just until he and Delphi picked out a spot. But… maybe it would be okay, denning with Bylgja until then.

He lay down on the coat, and looked up at the ceiling. “... thank you, Bylgja. For everything.” He said, not looking at her. He still thought this entire situation was weird. But, once he’d agreed, he agreed. He wanted this to work. He was a little afraid she’d come to regret adopting him.

"Bylgja" & "Strai"

Bylgja

Loner

Advanced Fighter (75)

Intermediate Healer (50)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Jackal

10-30-2023, 04:02 AM

She was well aware that the boy was exploring. It was his right to explore; Bylgja wouldn't refuse him that! After all, he needed to make himself comfortable. If this was to be a temporary home -- temporary because she was sure he'd eventually wind up permanently with the ... Delphi ... he had mentioned (who was, if she recalled correctly, somehow related to the pack leader-- interesting, in and of itself), he'd have it with her.

The scarred woman stretches her limbs.

There's a moment of silence, and then she flashes her teeth broadly at Strai, her chest puffing up. It's a delighted smile. "You're welcome!" She's sure he has fears.

She wants to alleviate them, as best she can.

"I will make it more homey, soon, eh?" She grunts, a little. "I have... plans." Of course, not even Bylgja knew what those plans were in their entirety. After a moment, she side-eyes the boy and says, "You look tired! Do you want a story?" As if she's not offering to give him a bedtime story. As if the story is entirely unrelated. That way, he can accept it.

"Bylgja" & "Strai"

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. silver is the grip on the helping hand Fenrir's Maw 05:10 PM, 10-14-2023 11:01 AM, 01-04-2024