size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
01-22-2024, 10:00 PM

The sounds of combat and violence were not so easily ignored when they came from your neighbors. The Hallows maintained constant vigilance over the nearby Grapevine Cathedral, given how pivotal the grapes there were in their wine production, so it was easy to pick up on the midnight raid that had occurred the night before. The ravens that circled overhead reported back to the Lord of Cinder that morning of the evening's hostilities to the south, and without hesitation Artorias headed down to Ethne to assist with the damage assessment. On his way out, his youngest daughter Clove had stopped him and asked to join him, and after some hesitation and deliberation he agreed. Artorias did not want to subject sweet Clove to the aftermath of a raid, but he knew shielding her from the dangers and horrors of the real world would only be detrimental to her in the end. Sometimes nightmares had to be seen to be believed.

The two Hallowed wolves walked the short trek down the western coast until they reached Ethne's lands, pausing at the borders for Artorias to call for Haydée. The metallic scent of blood still hung in the morning air, likely from whatever carnage had spilled it the night before. It made the dire brute grimace; hopefully everyone was okay.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Haydée

"I'll Rise Up"

Polaris
Sage

Master Fighter (320)

Master Intellectual (305)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

ScarredDouble MasterRapid Poster - SilverSamhain 2022
01-24-2024, 09:15 PM
While Haydée had not been injured in the raid, it was difficult not to notice the thick scent of blood that still lingers within Ethne. The Leader had not slept before the raid and afterward… well, her mind had been too chaotic to even attempt to try. Over and over she watches the fights play out in her mind eyes while she tries to assess and figure out all that had happened during the battle. She sits in the now deserted battlefield, heavy eyes watching the blood-filled puddles as she tries, and fails, to think of what needs to be done now.

To complicate matters further, her own mother had maimed a pup and she knows that something needs to be done about too. A summons at her borders has the troubled young woman forcefully shaking herself from her thoughts while a yawn suddenly splits her maw. Quickly Haydée stands, readying to go answer the call when she realizes just how tired she is but she knows the work of an alpha is never done.

Wearily, Haydée traces the familiar paths to where the summons had come from and, before she can spot the visitor, she stops and does her best to wipe the sleep and worry from her features. Shaking her head and forcing a smile onto her lips, the Leader then moves on and is greeted by the sight of Artorias and a yearling. Brows shoot skyward and it is difficult to mask the relief that rolls across her exhausted features because she suddenly hopes that he might provide an outsider’s view on the whole raid situation.

As cheerfully as she can muster, Haydée says, “Artorias! It is good to see you sir. Who is this? I don’t think I have met them before.” Tired eyes look between the pair as her addled brain does not even think to invite them inside of Ethne’s borders yet.

"Haydée Kedieo"

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”
Haydée has a male northern cardinal named Chanson and a female fossa named Manon. They are always close by.

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
01-28-2024, 11:34 PM

It's impossible for Artorias to not be investigative and analytical as he studies the lands of Ethen post-raid. Battle was no foreign concept to the Lord of Cinder, nor violence or death, but it was rare for him to stand on someone else's battlefield and do damage assessment. Usually it was him and his wolves tending to the wounded and fighting to protect. His frown tightens as he surveys the quiet Ethne—too quiet for a pack this size. Hopefully everyone was all right... He glanced down at Clove at his side, amber eyes considering if perhaps this was too gruesome for his young daughter to be experiencing. Artorias had sworn to protect his children from the horrors he had endured in his youth so that they might preserve their innocence for as long as possible. Was this exposing her to too much? He wasn't given much time to ponder that dilemma however before Haydée was arriving to greet them at the borders. The first thing Artorias noted immediately was how tired the young alphess was, as well as the positive that she seemed unharmed. A little worse for wear and muddy, but thankfully not injured.

The alpha greeted them both cheerfully and the Lord of Cinder tipped his head to her in return. "I wish I could say the circumstances were better, my dear," he replied, lamenting the reasons for her exhaustion and for their presence. A sympathy and understanding hung heavy in the dire wolf's eyes, and he offered Haydée a gentle yet measured smile. Haydée took note of his daughter and Artorias smiled more genuinely this time, nodding his head to Clove as he did. "This is my daughter, Clove. We both came to check on you all. We heard some concerning reports from our ravens, and... well, I suppose they're true, aren't they?" Artorias was referring to the stench of blood in the air and the smell of the Raiders still lingering around. After a moment, Artorias dismissed Clove to go offer her help where she might be needed, leaving the two alphas to talk. Once they were alone, Artorias asked the question weighing on his mind. "Is everyone okay?" And more importantly... "Are you okay?"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Haydée

"I'll Rise Up"

Polaris
Sage

Master Fighter (320)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

02-05-2024, 10:44 PM
Haydée stood at the border smiling at the pair, exhaustion screaming at her to stop and go to sleep. But there is still so much to do, so much that she needs to make sure gets done before she can even consider retiring for a nap. Head bob at Artorias’s words, a sigh rolling past her lips as her sluggish thoughts turn back to the raid. Greeting Clove, the young girl is then sent to find her find brother Dorian who, she is certain, would be more than happy to show the youth around. Green eyes watch the retreating form of Clove and she is struck with a longingly wishing she was that age once again and naïve to all the horrors that world has to offer.

The larger man’s voice pulls Hay from her silent musing and she turns her attention back to Artorias. Lifting a paw, she gestures for him to walk with her as her feature sober and she considers how to answer his question. Turning away from the border, she leads him in toward the falls as she slowly begins to explain, “We are… okay. I wasn’t injured in the raid but there are a few who weren’t so lucky. The Raiders came to take some of our chickens… and they got them. We tired repel them but…” Shoulders lift in a small shrug as she speaks of their loss, sadness pulling at her face for a moment.

“There were some maims that happened; my mom maimed a Raider pup and was scarred in return.” Wincing at the memory, Haydée shakes her head to rid herself of the images that flashed through her mind before continuing, “My brother Dorian was also hurt and I learned, not long ago that Gavroche, who fought in the raid, is missing, along with one of his siblings Ikuchi, who did not fight. So, I need to go find them… and go offer the Raiders my apologies for what Bellamy did.” The words rush out, a frantic flow of information that has been tumbling around her head since the raid.

There is so much that Haydée has to do and the young Leader is lost with where she needs to start. Silence falls as she once again, gets lost in her thoughts.

"Haydée Kedieo"

Haydée has a male northern cardinal named Chanson and a female fossa named Manon. They are always close by.

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

02-23-2024, 04:09 AM

Artorias followed beside Haydée, matching her pace as they walked towards the nearby falls. She seems hesitant in her response, like she's trying to choose the right words to describe how things were. There was no need to mince words though; Artorias could smell the blood and see the mayhem he had walked in on. It made him worry for Clove and the things he might be inadvertently exposing her to. Haydée eventually relayed the results of the raid: the Raiders had succeeded in taking some of their chickens, but it sounded like the costs to both sides had outweighed the rewards to the victors. Artorias said nothing, choosing to remain taciturn and pensive while he listened to Hay continue to explain. The explanation of the smell of blood came from the numerous maims that had happened. It made the Lord of Cinder scowl as he considered the information. Two Ethne wolves maimed and a Raider, pups on both sides irreparably damaged, and once more Gavroche had gone missing. That boy couldn't seem to stay at home for anything.

When Haydée fell into silence and the air was open to speak once more, Artorias just breathed a sigh and looked back down at the diminutive alpha of Ethne. "Perhaps what you need more than anything is a moment to breathe and recover," the Lord of Cinder suggested, letting his paternal side show for a moment. "You've just come out of a violent ordeal and I know the frenetic urge to rectify everything is strong, but maybe it's best to let the dust settle first before you go trying to make any amends with your enemies or run yourself ragged." Pacing yourself was one of the most valuable lessons Artorias had learned early on in his reign. If you didn't care for yourself, you ran the risk of stretching yourself to the breaking point physically and mentally, and then you were unable to be the leader your followers needed.

After a moment to let Haydée stew on his suggestion, Artorias spoke again. "Was it worth it?" he asked, keeping judgment out of his voice, but making the point that he wanted to know her thoughts crystal clear. "All this bloodshed that happened to defend chickens... was it worth it?" The question was not rhetorical, nor was it posed to make the girl feel bad, but to provoke some critical thinking from her. She was an alpha now, a leader, accountable to the safety of those that followed her and responsible for the actions and inactions of them as well. "Taking accountability for your wolves is a part of being an alpha. Apologies are fine and good, but they don't make whole the damage that was done to either side. Your mother scarred a child. Nice words aren't going to make that child's parents feel satisfied." Amber eyes once more found the young woman's tired face, pondering if she had any plans for what came next in the aftermath. "What are your plans for what your mother has done? And are you going to seek recompense from the Raiders for the maims they delivered to your brother?"

One big happy family

Haydée

"I'll Rise Up"

Polaris
Sage

Master Fighter (320)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

03-11-2024, 10:40 PM
As Haydée walks with Art through Ethne lands towards the falls, the young Leader cannot help but fall deeply into her own thoughts as everything that has happened weighs heavily on her small shoulders. It is as if she cannot rest until this and everything that has been shared with her since the raid, is dealt with. Tired eyes slowly track up to the much taller alpha, sorrow, worry, and doubt swirling in her exhausted emerald green eyes as she quietly listens to what Artorias has to say.

There is wisdom in his words and she slowly nods, knowing that allowing the dust to settle first would be the best thing but, with Gavroche racing off to offer aid to the Raiders, she could not be afforded the luxury of waiting. The man’s next words have her swallowing thickly as she diverts her eyes away, pondering what the answer to that question truly is. Silently, Haydée listens to everything that he has to offer her and the young Leader is thankful to have someone more experienced to lean on in times like this.

They arrive at the waterfall, the familiar roar soothing to Haydée’s turbulent mind and she moves to sit down at the edge of the pool, far enough away from the roaring fall that the water here is still and crystalline. Silence reigns as she mulls over everything that he has said and, when she finally speaks, her words are measured and weighted, “No. It wasn’t worth it all. While I love the chickens and wish to bring them home, the scars that my mother and brother received were not worth it.”

A sad sigh rolls out as she wishes that she could take away their pain and, if she could, the oung woman would willing wear their scars herself. Green eyes look at their reflections and Haydée sees just how young and naïve she is in that youthful, lost wolf reflected back at her. Shaking her head, she says, “With Gav running off, I have to go find him before they harm him. I will apologize and offer my own flesh as pence. They can have their pound of flesh and, hopefully, be done with it. I… I don’t know what the right thing to do is anymore.”

The wolf in the water stares back at her, lost, scared, and oh so naïve and Haydée tucks her chin to her chest as the tears well and slide free, shame tugging at her features as she hates the fact that she is so damn weak. After a short pause, she says, “Maybe Ethne would have been better off with someone else as the Leader. Every alpha I have met is tall, there is not a short one among them! But me… I’m short and… and maybe this wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t the Leader.”

The exhaustion has forced out thoughts that she never wished to voice. Finally, Haydée looks up to Artorias, eyes filled with tears, sorrow, and hopelessness as she silently begs the man to help her… with what, she isn’t even sure.

"Haydée Kedieo"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

03-19-2024, 10:45 PM

Artorias knew the questions he asked Haydée were difficult ones to grapple with, but the weight of responsibility and leadership was a heavy one to bear. Even now, the seasoned alpha found new conflicts and situations that challenged his skills as a wolf and as a leader. Hay diverted her eyes and Artorias would give her the reprieve to collect her thoughts. There was no pressure in their conversation. They arrived at the plunge pool at the base of the Ethne falls, the white noise of the cascading waters drowning out the stillness in the post-conflict Ethne. Artorias gazed across the pool and just watched the world around them while Haydée remained quietly pensive.

Eventually, her answer came. No, the fighting hadn’t been worth it. Art just gave a solemn nod of understanding. Very little was worth the permanent damage inflicted in combat. The dire wolf dropped his gaze to meet hers through their reflections on the placid water, the giant brute and the petite fae looking worlds apart, yet more alike than appearances betrayed. The words the littler alpha spoke next concerned the Lord of Cinder, his brow knitting together in a disapproving frown. "Dont be so quick to martyr yourself, Haydée. Many would see that as a show of weakness rather than taking accountability," he cautioned her. "Get Gavroche back, but don’t expect the Raiders to be welcoming, regardless of your intentions." There was little doubt that the Raiders, despite their victory, would be seething over their own injured wolves.

There was stillness and silence between the two alpha wolves for a moment, with only the mellifluous rippling of the water in the pool keeping it from being totally silent. Then Haydée spoke again, catching Artorias’ attention with a pensive pull at his lips. He didn’t speak right away, letting Hay vent her frustrations and doubts until she too fell silent at his side. Matters of self-doubt and confidence were nothing new to the Carpathian man; it had taken him a long time to get to where he was today. When she looked up at him with teary eyes, Artorias met Haydée’s gaze with a gentle reassuring smile. "Maybe… Or maybe not… It's impossible to tell when it comes to what ifs. Maybe someone else would've handled the raid better. Or maybe things would've turned out worse and more wolves could've gotten hurt." There was a long pause as Art let his words simmer in Hay's mind, giving her time to digest his advice.

"When I was starting out as Aegis, I often thought someone else should be leading the Hallows. I was barely more than a yearling, my mother had died, and I was filled with so much anger and pain. I blamed myself for her death and kept telling myself that I could never be half the Aegis she was." Artorias breathed a pensive sigh as he gazed across the water, lost in memories and reflection. "I didn't believe I was worthy to lead the Hallows... and I wasn't, as long as I kept telling myself that. I made bad decisions. I learned harsh lessons. But the greatest learn I ever had was this: you decide who you are and who you want to be. I wanted to be the leader the Hallows deserved. I wanted to be someone my mother would be proud of, someone worthy of her legacy." The Lord's words slowly trailed off and his gaze turned to look down at the smaller wolf at his side, tilting his head as he considered the position she was in. "Your size has no bearing on what you are capable of, Haydée. I've seen the smallest of wolves topple the largest of dires. I've seen underdogs win against impossible odds all the time. The only question is, who are you, Haydée? Do you want to be the alpha of Ethne?"

One big happy family

Haydée

"I'll Rise Up"

Polaris
Sage

Master Fighter (320)

gems
size
Extra small
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

05-27-2024, 03:52 AM
Haydée’s ponders as she speaks with Artorias, knowing that he is only posing these difficult questions to try and help her. The knit brow he offers her words at her talk of offering apologies has the smaller alpha sighing while she listens to his words of wisdom. Absently, she nods to herself as she offers, “Yes, I will get my nephew my back and I know that they might still be mad but I have to at least try to offer our apologies. It was wrong what happened and I want to try and make that right.”

A tired, apologetic smile wiggles onto her lips as she offers a small shrug, trying to convey the younger woman’s need to right the wrong that was done. Silence falls between and then she is voicing her own doubts about herself and looking up at him with tear-filled eyes, lamenting her size and Artorias looks down at her with a gentle reassuring smile. Haydée looks at him, beseeching his advice and she drinks in his words like a wolf who requires water.

Artorias’s words give her pause and make her consider which has her fully stilling as her mind rolls it all over like it would a puzzle. Then, the man who she greatly respects, gives her a story much similar to her own and her eyes clear up as she listens. Even the exhaustion that has been tugging at her mind falls away as the story unfolds. Finally, he poses another difficult set of questions and her emerald eyes slide out over to where the water is as she considers.

For a long time, silence reigns as she looks at her reflection, pulling up ideas and casting them aside. Finally, a soft smile tugs at Haydée’s lips and her voice is gentle as she says, “I am the product of my mother and father. My dad hated violence and faced cruelties because he had been born with wings. All my mother knew from a young age was violence and she was forced to kill at the whims of others. Yet, somehow, they worked together. He tempered her hard edges, made her find the joy in living and she protected him with everything she had learned in those difficult times.”

Pausing to take a small breath, the smaller woman confidently continues, “I am stubborn, resilient, fierce when I need to be, gentle, caring, and supportic. My mother taught me not to let others walk all over you and I will not let this raid go unanswered. We will get our chickens back and I will inform my wolves that they may very well receive injuries for following me into battle but maybe, just maybe, that will be end of all this.” Shoulders lift slightly before relaxing again and she turns to emerald gaze back up to the taller alpha.

A smile breaks across her features, a welcome warmth like the sun after winter and Haydée says, “I do want to lead Ethne and I want to do it well. I want it to be safe and someplace that others are not afraid to come to and live. I want to learn and grow and would like how to be as amazing as you! Maybe, one day, you could show me some pointers?” Brow cocks in silent question before she adds, “But not right now. There is still much I have to do and a couple wayward nephews I need to go bring home.”

An alpha’s work is never done, after all.

"Haydée Kedieo"