gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
wicked

Double MasterStudentRapid Poster - Bronze1K
02-28-2024, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2024, 08:45 PM by Dread. Edited 1 time in total.)

While he’s kept his nose out of most heavy political matters, things had gone too far this time. Dread could feel the bad taste welling up in his mouth, hot and coppery, the heartbeat that Bellamy’s name arose. Deluge’s younger sister had been maimed— enough. Enough pups had been fucking maimed. Wake had been kind enough to fill Dread in, as they worked away on the treehouse.

While it wasn’t much, and the intelligence was outdated, Dread wanted to bring Modesty what he knew. While they hadn’t been able to meet one on one yet, it seemed as good a time as any. Pulling up on the beach and calling for his mother in law, Dread waited. Stoic, asking for a moment to speak with the woman in private.

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

Master Intellectual (260)

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

Wordy1KRaiderDream WeaverTeacherStudent
Double MasterSamhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipThe Ooze Participant
03-01-2024, 05:21 PM

Deluge and her Loverboy had been hanging out on the Archipelago. If they didn't' want to join the raiders, the Dove Islands remained open to them and they had been industrious out there, building themselves a treehouse that had the woman hoping that perhaps they might change their minds and stick around after all. She had a feeling there might be grandchildren on her horizon and she didn't want them suffering for the transient nature of life in a band.

Now they had a bit more breathing room, perhaps she could bend the rules a little for her own kin.

“Change your mind about sticking around?” She questioned as she approached the boy, the half smile on her face betraying that she doubted that was the reason he had come out to the main Isle. She took a moment to look the boy over. No it wasn't just the way the water weighed down his frame. “Do you always have the weight of the world on your shoulders?”

“Speech.”

Dread

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

Master Intellectual (295)

An icon representing the specialty Bard Bard

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
wicked

03-01-2024, 06:48 PM

She looks more... real, up close. Closer than Dread has been to her, and maybe not as menacing as Gilgamesh had been the first time around. It strikes him for a moment, than he doesn't know about the relationship between mothers and their children. Especially of raider mothers, and their children. Still, he's here. He's come all the way here, and he's going to speak with her. At least she has a smile for him, the young man offering one of his own in return. It's genuine, if a bit grim. Hell, when is he not a bit grim? "Ah, that's up to Deluge." The way her name tastes in his mouth, it's reverent. Possessive without being controlling, their balance had always been peculiar. It would only get worse.

But then, she knows that's not the reason. He tips his jaw slightly, words coming as a quiet admission. "I carry what I can, when I care." So... yeah. Call it a savior complex. Dread's tone drops, hushed. "Wake helped me with the treehouse, we got to talking," he begins, casting a furtive glance around the beach. Just in case. "If you would like to speak inside," his weight shifted over his paws. "While my information isn't particularly fresh, it might be helpful." A weighty offer, but after everything that had gone on? It's what's right.

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

03-01-2024, 07:25 PM

Modesty could very well imagine this boy had a habit of dragging storm clouds around in his wake wherever he went, and she couldn't help but find the name 'Dread' to be quite fitting. It was a different sort of storm than her daughter bought. She couldn't help but think the poor boy still didn't seem to have a clue what he was getting himself into. “Certainly, I can make us some tea.” The tea might have some traces of psychotropics, but did she have to tell him that before it was in front of him? Or even then? He looked like he could use some loosening up.

She led Dread into what once might have been a reception area, off the main foyer, now cleaned up and lined with furs and nick nacks, including her tea set and a fresh tray of food. She gestured towards the furs indicating he should take a seat as she set about getting refreshments organised. Jael had already stoked the fires and set the water to warm (probably expecting she would be due a tea any minute), and Modesty sent up silent, if belligerent thanks for the presence of the other woman in their lives. She set the blend of herbs to steep in the already warmed water and got them some snacks to partake in while they had their tea. “I'm glad to hear Wake is making attempts to be useful...” Even if she wasn't quite sure that had been the case. “But we can discuss the treehouse after, you seem like you have something specific on your mind.” She pottered around making sure everything was as it should be before joining Dread on the furs. She poured out the tea and took a sip of her own, as if to prove it wasn't poisoned (not much, not really). He had been born in the Armada after all, she was sure there were a lot of tall tales getting around about how awful the Raiders were before he saw with his own two eyes.

She sighed contentedly and looked at the boy patiently, leaving the floor open for him to spit out whatever was ailing him.

“Speech.”

Dread

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
wicked

03-09-2024, 11:05 PM

The Pirates certainly had a different take on medicine. Dread had abandoned those studies as a child, but his interests could be... casual. Recreational, too, maybe. Hell, maybe he'd become more openminded yet. Between that, and the fact that his in-laws had allowed him to remain without much fuss, Dread found his approach to them fresh. New. Like he was seeing the Raiders with fresh eyes, as he walked among them.

Taking a seat opposite Modesty, and taking a sip of his tea, Dread wills himself to relax. Right, the herbs would help with that, not that he was able to pick up on it quite yet. The words that come are heavy, metallic where they rest on his tongue. "I met Bellamy for the first time just after the murder of her husband, shortly before joining Deluge. She looked unsteady then, and it sounds like she hasn't gotten any better." Dread drew a long breath. "Haydee is just a kid-- my age, a little younger." His tone is contemplative, a bit darker around the edges. Tasting like something... something different. A bit like choosing his own fate.

"Grief can bring out the worst in us-- that's not an excuse, Modesty. It's a condemnation." Dread's gaze lands on Modesty's, hoping that his point rings clear. Rings true. It's weighty, and rests in his chest as he speaks. His concern is that they're beyond reason, driven by grief and whatever else brewed in Auster. A girl wearing rose colored glasses and a widow, who'd maimed a child that was good-as his sister at this point. Weighty words, from the young man.

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

03-09-2024, 11:26 PM

Modesty hadn't bothered to put a name to the woman that maimed Siduri, in her mind, the scent of Ethne was enough to condemn them all. If the woman had a history of being unstable, then perhaps it was on her pack to rein her in or bear the consequences, no? She seemed to have enough control to not take it out on her own. So perhaps it was just an excuse?

That being said, Modesty was not above being driven by her emotions but if it had been before Dread joined Deluge, that was quite a while ago now. “Deluge is your age, she has her heart set on leadership too.” She offered as a counterbalance to what he was saying, her raised brow and the way she sipped her tea with a smirk made it clear she knew they were comparing apples to oranges, her own girl had always been independent and strong willed enough to bend others to hers.

“She's not just condemned herself, but her whole pack as far as I'm concerned.” She offered levelly, looking at the young man over her teacup. “What sort of war are you suggesting we wage? I'm sure they've sold themselves as good and lawful from the bamboo to the cathedral. Your lot, She teased, knowing full well he was part of her lot now whether he liked it or not, “No doubt, have lapped that bullshit up. So where does that leave us? If we bring them down, the other packs will come knocking at our door for retribution, then what? I can't sway them all to our cause on my own.” She'd made inroads with the vikings, but the raiders didn't do allies, and that wasn't likely to change if Gilgamesh had any say in the standings. Other packs however, made allies left and right. What was life without a little conflict? Boring. That was what it was.

Casual, conversational, an ebbing tide of what ifs. A solution wasn't going to be a short time in the making, but Modesty was very good at waiting.

“Speech.”

Dread

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
wicked

03-10-2024, 12:23 AM

Modesty is quick to point out that they're older now, but Dread is quick with an addition of his own. "Deluge has two decent, rational parents, who love her very much. And she's... I don't have to tell you." A spark played across his face. That, and Deluge was older than even he was. Apples to oranges, but he's always got the upmost confidence in her. He takes a sip of his tea, relaxing by degrees.

"Their lot, could probably be talked out of going to war for a pack that they have little more than trade interest in, as far as I know." Dread's brows lifted for a moment, considering. "Sob story or not, it just needs to look and feel like it wouldn't be worth it." A long sip of his tea. Right, they're just talking in dreams and hypotheticals. The spitballing of a boy who's trying to make up for the fact that his girlfriend has been beaten on by no less than two close relatives, and worries he won't be able to prevent it from happening again.

"Now that market season is winding down, my mentor from the Armada is going to bring down some fittings for the treehouse. I've never seen her pack light, so I can only imagine what else she's bringing you. I think you'll like her, you should come by and chat." Dread takes another long sip of the tea, the corners of his lips twitching. If Halo and Modesty sat down to speak, maybe it would put them on an even clearer course for success. Fuck, he could hope, right?

Maybe it would make up for things. Maybe.

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

03-10-2024, 01:06 AM

Modesty covered her snicker with a sharp exhale as the boy jumped to Deluge's defense and flattered herself and Gilgamesh in the same breath. This one could stay, though she wasn't sure if he was resilient enough to withstand her daughter's mercurial nature, she would welcome his attempt at trying.

As for trade interest, Modesty wasn't sure what Ethne traded in that couldn't be sourced from the Hallows or the Raider's themselves. Between the livestock they were rapidly accumulating and the more artistic tendencies of Kenway and Jael, Sakana's map directing their scouts where to collect herbs so that they now had in ample supply, their signature liquor and the ready access to the bounty of the seas, the Raider's were accumulating enviable resources. Another target on their back, but they weren't afraid to protect what was theirs. They weren't above sourcing in demand items either, for the right price. “Any chance yourself and Deluge can go and ferret out just what they are offering? Other than the magic of friendship... Her dry delivery and the dancing light in her eyes spoke more than words would as to her opinion of the worth of that. “Start in the south, and see how far their influence extends. Don't be afraid to muddy the waters in the process.” Though she was pretty confident the latter went without saying, “I'll get Scald on board too, I don't need those two riling themselves up like caged big cats...” Lord knew if she didn't set them loose to cause some mayhem it would be directed at her before long.

Modesty would be sure to warn Gilgamesh that the visiting Armada wolf was expected. She nodded, “Let me know when she arrives, and I'll be sure to welcome her personally.” All roads were in roads if you approached them with the right tact.

“Speech.”

Dread

Loner

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
wicked

03-16-2024, 08:00 PM

The assignment from Modesty brings a confident smile to Dread's lips. A nod, as well-- he's picking up what she's putting down, after all. There's a light wave of his tail at his haunches as he listens. It's a big task, but he's up for it. Dread has grown up, well and truly. Fuck, he feels genuinely important, to be asked for a job like this.

Outriders. Scald, Deluge, and Dread-- at least it was a party they knew worked. It would keep Deluge from being cooped up, stewing on the things that weren't in the cards right now. Maybe it was his desire to prove himself really kicking off again, but Dread was trying not to think too hard about that one. "Happily. I'll do what I can."

As for the mention of Halo's arrival? Dread gave a gentle nod. Taking another long sip of his tea, the young man hesitated. Waited a moment. Another sip, before assembling the right words. "Thank you for not... holding everything against me. And letting me stay with her." While staying among the Raiders had never been his long term plan, it certainly had worked out.

Modesty

"The Audacity™"

Raiders Hollow
Raid Queen

Master Navigator (306)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

04-06-2024, 10:29 PM

At least Dread seemed amenable to the suggestion and Modesty sipped some more of her tea, pleased things seemed to be working out. Sure, Deluge had missed out on her band, but there was a brighter future for her here, even if she didn't see it yet. As for his thanks, she smiled, though it was clear from the confused quirk of her brows that she thought it would go without saying. “My daughter may be a thorn in my side, but anyone she likes enough to get stabbed for is welcome in my home, though to be honest, I'm yet to decide if you're just as mad as she is. Keeping one like that is like trying to catch smoke. I do worry she'll only break your heart.” Perhaps she'd gotten it from her father, because it certainly hadn't come from Modesty herself.

“Speech.”

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. very young, yet unmistakably aged Daager Isle 03:01 AM, 02-28-2024 01:05 AM, 05-20-2024