Ara

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
02-03-2014, 12:37 PM

It had been too long since Ara had seen her father. His weariness concerned her, but she knew he was growing old. He needed much time to rest. Once, he had hunted exclusively for their family, but now she found herself growing accustomed to bringing small game back for her parents to share, as they were often not feeling strong enough to go. It seemed her father especially liked to hide his ailments, but the young girl -- while still quite naive, in many aspects -- could not be fooled in this regard.

He seemed to like the lavender plants she brought him, which he would gnaw on until he fell asleep. Often she would wait until he was deepest into sleep, making sure he was not riddled with nightmares or sickness, always vigilant in regards to her parents. She loved them -- and they had cared for her. She could only do the same in return.

And tonight was no different. The sun had begun to set already, casting brilliant colors all over the range. Oranges and pinks and purples, much like the flowers she collected so regularly. Even now, she held a bundle of fresh lavender, picked from the nearby supply that Loccian had shown her. She would be scarce with the herbs, knowing she could not take all of the plant for herself. Others might want to use it.

Quietly she would make her way to her parents' den, peeking in and letting a gentle bark escape her throat, alerting them of her presence. "Dad?" she would question, eyes shining in the darkness as she searched for him.

Bronze i

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
-
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM

Bronze would stir at the sound of his daughter's arrival. A light bark signified her presence. He was alone right now, and he would slowly rouse at Ara's sweet vocals, turning to settle on his belly. He was groggy, but sleep always did him well. It breathed life into his tired bones, giving him enough energy -- and drive -- to go on another day.

And it was obvious his days were growing shorter. Even by the way he shifted on the ground, moving slightly to get into a more comfortable position, to his very pelt, which was more tattered than it had ever been. He was truly as tired as he looked, but he would persevere, and the joy that overcome him at his children's presence made him look years younger. A smile would decorate his aged features, and his tail would thump quietly against the ground behind him.

"Come, little Ara," he would urge her, his deep voice filled with happiness.

Ara

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
02-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Not only was he here, but he was awake! She disregarded the fact that he was a light sleeper, and it was likely that she had caused him to awaken, simply happy to spend a moment with him. The girl would duck into the dim light of her parents' den, finding it alarmingly small -- compared to how large it had seemed when she was hardly more than a newborn. Though she was still not quite a yearling, she was beginning to fill in her frame quite nicely, nearly as tall as her father now, but much less bulky.

She would settle down beside him, glad for his company, infinitely thankful that he was still alive and healthy and that she could spend another day with him. As she grew older, she was beginning to realize just how much older than most wolves in the pack were -- considerably older than most of them. "How are you doing, Dad?" she would ask, finally setting her small bundle of herbs before her, but not before sliding down to her belly. She would nudge the plants over to him, knowing he would use them sometime soon, if not tonight. They were useful, and seemed to have no ill effects on him, and so she would continue to supply them to him so long as he wished. "I explored the Gulley today," she told him suddenly, a grin breaking across her delicate features. "It is so wonderful! You should visit with me sometime."

Bronze i

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
-
02-03-2014, 03:45 PM

She would settle down comfortably beside him, and a hearty laugh would leave his throat. All of his children -- all nine of them, to be exact -- had been so different. And yet they were all remarkably similar in demeanor. All of his children were loyal and strong, never weak of soul or slow of mind. Some had sharp minds, while others preferred to use their claws. Regardless, they were all perfect in his eye, and he thought of this as he gazed upon his daughter. How he wished they were all together again, but he was too old and too tired to travel far. Maybe someday his youngest children would find their older siblings, but it was more than likely they never would. He was happy that they were not disappointed over this, simple curious and in awe.

It seemed Ara, most of all, found wonder in the smallest things. How frequently she would come to him with a small plant or flower, or even a simple weed that had no purpose at all. She wanted to know everything there was to know. Already she was more knowledgeable than he in the art of healing, and he truly could not be more proud of her.

"Soon," he answered her sudden question, smiling and letting his eyes drift shut. It would be a good outing, though the walk was not long -- it was only long for a creature that had lived longer than a decade. "I am good, Ara, now that you are here," he said honestly. He valued any moment spent with his children, and he leaned to nuzzle her gently, opening his eyes to reveal his shining, eager gaze. "Tell me, daughter, what did you find there?"

Ara

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
02-09-2014, 08:25 AM

To Ara, her father was perfection. She could not imagine in ever faulting, and even if he did, she would forgive him a thousand times over. It seemed impossible to her that he had flaws; that he was not some immortal creature that would exist forever. Even in his tired, aging state, he simply seemed unbreakable. Quietly she would snuggle closer to him, happy to feel his warmth at her side.

"It really is lovely there," she expressed happily. "There are flowers everywhere, dad! Marigold and lavender and so much dandelion." For many children, it simply would be a fun place to romp, but it meant so much more to her than that. Ara knew she would be spending some time there, but she also knew it would be a good place for her parents to go. Soothing, maybe; the air there was light and scented with flowers and plants, quite unlike the dry air here.

"What were the lands like in your pack, dad? When you met mom?" Had he lived in such a place? Or perhaps it had been in some deep, dark forest; or even on a mountain top! There were so many possibilities, and now that her father was growing visibly older, she wanted to know as much about him as possible.

Bronze i

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
-
02-24-2014, 06:40 AM

His eyes were simply brimming with interest and affection alike as his sweet daughter spoke. Bronze would curl around her, content to lay with her as though she was merely a child again, knowing such days would never exist again. "I think, my daughter, you were born to be a bird," he commented, his deep voice laced with amusement. She seemed to want to fly among the lands, and dance among the trees and the flowers.

But she was not willing to only talk about herself. Of course. She would inquire about his former pack, and he let out a soft sigh. It was not his birth pack, but instead where he had met Silent. "We inhabited a vast territory," he began, his mind soaring as he began to recall these days, so many years ago. "Much more grand than this one, with huge mountains and lakes," he smiled. "I was only a child when I first arrived, so small and afraid, but I couldn't have imagined a better home."

Ara

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
03-26-2014, 07:45 AM

She didn't know much about her parents' childhood. She knew they'd been in the same pack, and that they had met as children and had grown only more deeply in love ever since. Ara wondered if she would ever find a love like that -- and while part of her doubted it -- she couldn't help but hope she would share a similar fate as her parents. It was a beautiful story, but she knew she'd barely scratched the surface of the full tale, and there was much more to it than she knew.

For a long moment her eyes closed, listening to her father's words. His voice was deep and she savored the feeling of his chest rumbling as she curled against him. Something he said piqued her interest, but she only opened a single eye to watch him before the question spilled out. "What do you mean? When you arrived? Were you not born in the same pack as mother?" It was a new fact to her, and she truly wanted to know more.

Bronze i

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
-
03-28-2014, 08:11 AM

Bronze had always been rather reluctant to speak of his past with his children. Much of it was unpleasant, especially the events of his younger years. There was no need to frighten them, or make them feel sympathy for him when he did not need or want it. But Ara had asked the question he had feared for so long -- and he knew there was no lying to his daughter.

"I was not born in your mother's pack," he answered softly. "I was taken there, as a pup, by my uncle Baldev." For a moment he closed his eyes, as though remembering. Still the image of that day was fresh in his mind. How afraid and confused he had been, to be taken from his family in the midst of night. He had been left alone and afraid on the borders of an unfamiliar pack. "My father was not a good person, Ara," he admitted. His words were quiet, but full of pain that he could hardly contain. "I had to be taken away from him, lest he hurt me." Like he had hurt his mother, and his half-brother.

He curled tighter against his daughter, hoping she did not feel pain at his story. There was nothing worse for a father than seeing one of his children feel pain, especially a girl as brave as Ara. "I was taken in there by two of the most selfless creatures I have ever met. My adoptive mother was called Light, and my father, Aradcor." Bronze's lips curled into a fond smile in the darkness, despite the tears that had begun to fill his eyes. "You were named after him, my sweet." She was only vaguely like him, but her strength resonated everything that Aradcor had ever been. "You were much sweeter than he ever was. He was not one to show much kindness, nor affection, but he was the best father I could've ever imagined. He taught me so much..."