Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
06-29-2017, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017, 12:22 PM by Alarik.)

This was it. This was where the scent trail ended. Alarik stood at the border, his nose twitching as he tried to push past the overwhelming smell of the pack border to find the familiar smell of his brother again. Over the last season or two, Alarik had found that his frustration with the world was steadily wearing away at his patience. No adventures or dragons to slay, no beautiful princesses to fall in love with... were all of those things he dreamed of as a child truly meant to stay dreams forever? Would he never find purpose in life?

All of those troublesome questions had finally irritated him enough to make him want to do something about it. Did the knights he dreamed of as a boy sit and wait for the dragon to come to them? Hell no! They went and found the dragon themselves! So that was what Alarik was deciding to do. He would explore with a purpose this time, meeting lots of new people and maybe eventually finding a home for himself. And in the future, a wife and a family all his own... but that was way in the future.

These were the determined thoughts that consumed Alarik as he went in search of his brother. His brother could come with him. They could take on this great big world together, like they did when they were pups. But he'd found the scent, and he'd followed it... and it had led him here.

He couldn't be mistaken. This is where Dómari was. So... he had joined a pack? Alarik couldn't deny that his head was reeling a bit as he stood at that border line. But he had come to find his brother, and that was what he intended to do. Swallowing hard and gathering his courage, Alarik tipped his nose to the sky and sent forth a call for his brother.

They had a lot to talk about.

"Talk" "You" Think

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

The Ooze ParticipantDouble Master
07-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Seabound and Aimless at Best

Spring was almost here! Dómari was fussing about on a beautiful winter morning that was feeling warmer than usual. Bright, clear, sunny, a perfect day for some spring cleaning. Oh yes, he had spring fever bad. Herbs would be growing bright and green soon and Dómari was eager to learn more of that trade as well as fighting. Celestial promised to be an excellent source of knowledge and he couldn't wait to get started.

Satisfied, Dómari stepped back to examine his handy work. His den was freshly cleaned out. He'd widened it a bit to include an area for herb storage. He was just about to go back in an give things a once over when he heard his brother call at the border. Dómari's heart started to hammer in his chest. His brother was here visiting him? At first he was excited, he couldn't wait to tell Alarik all about Celestial but then he couldn't help but feel dread to. Would Alarik think he betrayed the family? What was he supposed to do? They'd been wandering forever and found no sign of this "Ebony" and he couldn't wait forever to start learning. He was an adult now and he didn't want to start sharpening his skills when he turned 5!

Dómari set his brow in determination. He wasn't going to wait forever for his family to get their act together. He had as much a right as anyone to pursue his life, even if it meant the painful decision to separate from his family.

Dómari wasn't to far away, his den sat just on the border of the moor and the plains and when he saw his brother he smiled, tail waving lightly. "Hey Alarik! Looks like you found me." He hesitated, unsure what to say. "Welcome to Celestial, I guess… it's pretty obvious I joined a pack, huh?"

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-01-2017, 10:07 AM

It didn't take long for his call to be answered. Within a minute or so he saw his brother come into view, and a smile blossomed on his face. He knew nothing of the thoughts Dómari was having, thinking that his family might see his joining a pack as a betrayal. Alarik couldn't speak for the rest of his family, but he would never think such a thing. He was proud of his brother for taking control of his life.

His tail waved, mirroring Dómari as he got closer. "Yeah, looks like I did," he replied. "I have to say, I was surprised when your trail ended here. But this is..." Alarik laughed. He didn't know what it was. But he knew it was a good thing, and he wanted to tell his brother he thought so.

"Good for you, Dom," he said at last. The smile never wavered from his face. "I'm proud of you. In fact, I'm... kind of jealous!" He laughed as his orange eyes left his brother and moved over the lands that lay beyond. "You took control of your life. That's something I haven't been able to do yet... so yeah, I'm proud of you. Is it a nice place?"

"Talk" "You" Think

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

07-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Dómari felt some relief at Alarik's smile. Well at least it was the 'frown of disapproval' he was receiving or a glare of burning anger, so maybe this meeting would go ok? Dómari grinned sheepishly as Alarik's voice trailed off and he laughed. "Yea, I know it may seem a bit unexpected but it is something I've been thinking about for awhile."

His breath rushed from him in a relieve sigh as Alarik praised his decision. "I'm so glad you're not mad! I mean… I don't know what Siggy or Demyan might say but I just couldn't take all the waiting around for fate to just happen, you know?" He grinned. "Weeeellll… if you want you can always join me. It's been nice so far, I mean I only just joined but the alpha Regulus seems really nice and they have a rank for wolves that want to learn both healing and fighting. I'm so excited to brush up on my skills!"

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-01-2017, 11:09 AM

Alarik couldn't help but laugh when his brother said that. He thought he'd be mad? Mad that his brother was doing something that made him happy? Sure, Alarik wasn't sure what Sig or Demyan would say either, but that didn't matter. Not right now. Alarik felt loyalty to his family, but he knew that at some point in your life you had to feel loyal to yourself too. Like Dom said, you couldn't wait around for fate to happen. "Exactly. I agree, Dom, and I admire you for figuring that out before I did." He sat down just outside the border, eyeing the stones that had been laid there to help mark the territory. Good idea. This Regulus must be smart as well as nice.

For some reason, a wave of nostalgia decided to hit Alarik right then. "Do you remember all the games we played when we were pups? All the imaginary adventures we went on? I don't want those adventures to be imaginary anymore..." he said quietly, looking Dómari in the eye once more. "Maybe we won't be slaying dragons or battling pirate kings, but... that doesn't mean we can't make something of ourselves, right? I've been thinking of joining a pack as well, maybe... maybe this place could be my home as well."

Maybe later he could call for the alpha, speak with him about joining. It was time to take control as his brother had done.

"Talk" "You" Think

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

07-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Dómari followed Alarik's lead and sat down as they continued to chat, curling his tail lightly around his paws. He didn't think Regulus would mind. This was his brother after all, not some suspicious loner sniffing around. Alarik mentioned the games they used to play and a soft smile tugged at Dómari's face. He could remember when he played the Dread Pirate Isakov! Those were such simple, innocent days back then before he'd been separated from his family and suddenly the games weren't so fun anymore. It was odd he'd once thought of himself as playing a morally ambiguous pirate. He didn't feel that way any more, he wanted to do good and be good for himself, his family and his pack.

"Haha, yea… I remember those games. It seems like so long ago." Dómari met Alarik's eyes as he talked about shifting those adventures from fantasy to reality. He was about to speak and say that he couldn't. He'd just joined a pack and didn't want to leave them so soon and then Alarik mentioned joining the pack. Dómari's face split into a huge grin. "That would be fantastic Alarik! We can explore and grow and learn together! I can show you my den and the hunting plains and everything. Do… do you want me to call the alpha here?"

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-01-2017, 11:41 AM

This was nice, being with his brother again. He didn't want it to end, and that's perhaps what convinced him that he wanted to give this a try. It wasn't that he couldn't make it on his own, without his family to support him. But if Dómari was here, in a nice pack, and Alarik wanted the same things he did... why on earth would he do anything else? They could do this together, like he said. Explore together, learn together. It sounded perfect.

But Alarik couldn't deny he panicked a tiny bit when Dómari offered to call the alpha. Right now. "Oh... right now?" he said, laughing nervously as he got to his feet. His heart was pounding. Did Dómari feel like this when he had stood at these borders and requested an audience with Regulus? "I'm nervous," Alarik admitted. After all, there was always the chance of getting turned away.

But that wouldn't happen. He had to think positive, and be brave. He took a deep breath and nodded to his brother, saying "Yes. You can call him. I want this... I want to have a place to call home."

"Talk" "You" Think

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

07-01-2017, 11:55 AM
ooc: you want to edit the thread to be a joining thread or call for Regulus?

Alarik seemed nervous and quickly confirmed it. Dómari spoke quickly. "Well, we don't have to… right now, I mean some other time could work its just…" His voice caught and he wasn't really sure why. He felt stupid and conflicted for it. Torn. He was so excited to have this opportunity in a pack but there was something especially difficult about saying goodbye to one of his siblings face to face. He'd left the family in a random afternoon. He'd wandered off gathering herbs and just kept wandering and wandering and when no one came for him he wandered some more. "Sorry, I'm being stupid. Just sucks that in a little bit I'll have to say goodbye to you and I won't know where to find you again."

He let silence fall between them for a moment before Alarik took a deep breath and asked him to summon the alpha. Dómari's heart sped up in his chest. "Really? Oh, Alarik this is great! Hang on, one sec." He got to his feet and tipped back his head howling for Regulus and hoping he'd hurry. "Alarik, you know what? You could be a knight in Celestial if you work hard and dedicate yourself to the pack and I… well, I guess I'll be like a knight to. Not a pirate this time." He chuckled.

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-01-2017, 02:48 PM

Dómari seemed to have picked up on the hesitation in his voice, and began to backtrack. And in turn, Alarik picked up on the emotion his brother was trying to hide. Mostly because it was an emotion he, too, had felt. That morning when Dómari had disappeared, wondering whether or not he should go after him. The multiple times Sig had wandered off. He didn't want to say goodbye again. He was sick and tired of being without his family. He loved them too much.

But the Alarik made up his mind, and he watched as his brother's mood instantly improved. His tail waved happily, sharing in the excitement. Sure, he was still nervous. But maybe that was okay. Dómari called for the alpha, and Alarik settled down onto his haunches once more. Alphas were busy, after all. They might have to wait a little while, and that was fine. More time for the brothers to catch up. "Dom, can't you just see it?" Alarik said, unable to suppress a dreamy sigh. "The two of us, knights at last? This is what I want, brother. I have a good feeling about this."

"Talk" "You" Think

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

07-01-2017, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017, 03:37 PM by Dómari.)

Dómari shifted restlessly on his paws, he couldn't wait for Regulus to arrive.  He was practically shivering with excitement.  As soon as his brother joined he could show him where Dóm had set up his dwelling, they could go exploring, or training, or hunting.  The possibilities were endless and the best part was that they could spend more time together.

"You bet!  You and I were born for this Alarik.  We'll be the best knights this pack has ever seen!"  He remembered Regulus' words about having high ranks needing filled by skilled and dedicated pack warriors.  In time he could see both him and his brother climbing those rank. "I know its early to say, but when you're accepted we can explore the terras.  I can show you the runestones up close.  I haven't met many of my packmates yet but maybe we can track a few down."

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-01-2017, 03:30 PM

Alarik could practically feel the excitement rolling off his brother, and he echoed every bit of it. There were butterflies and all sorts of other creatures in his belly, and his heart was going wild. This was a big step, for both of them. Joining a pack together. He smiled brightly when Dómari said that the two of them would be the best knights this pack had ever seen. "Yes, we will," he agreed. "And maybe while you work on your healing skills, I can focus on hunting!" Really, the idea of two sided ranks was brilliant. Some wolves liked to be well-rounded when it came to their areas of expertise. And many areas of expertise went hand in hand.

He flipped his ashen tail from side to side when his brother starting naming all of the things they could do together once he was accepted. "Runestones?" he repeated, curiosity ablaze in his orange eyes. It sounded like something from a fairy tale.

And yes, he was excited to meet the other pack members. This would be perfect. He hoped the alpha arrived soon! "So, this Regulus," he said. "What is he like? From what you've said, he sounds like a good leader."

"Talk" "You" Think

Regulus

Somnium
Ascended

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
07-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Regulus Anatolii Adravendi

He was, by far, glad he’d returned home when he had. Last night had been exactly what he’d needed. But he couldn’t languish in contentment with Solveiga in his alcove—a pack needed tending. But the conversation from the night stuck in his head, leaving a pleasant smile on his features as he patrolled and scouted the border, envisioning what would rise here over the next few seasons. He would be calling a meeting soon, on the first day of spring.

He'd already begun laying the new stones that morning, and now, he paused as he heard an unfamiliar voice, calling for Domari. His ears perked curiously, and he set out, and he had slipped quietly close enough to hear the two voices, before a Howl was raised for himself from Dom. It wasn’t urgent, and the two voices had sounded happy, so he maintained his silent, meticulous passage through the mists, keeping himself low, below the level of the fog.

He was close enough to hear the unfamiliar wolf’s next words, asking about himself. He grinned, choosing that moment to make himself known, stepping forward and rising back to his full height, fathomless sapphires examining the male. Ah, a relative.

Casually, Regulus smiled at the boy, head tilting as he admitted, “Well, I’d hope others think I’m a good leader.”

He grinned, joining Domari and settling on his haunches, studying the other. She shared the same mask shape, though in different colors. Definitely family. “I am Regulus Adravendi, Archangel – or leader – of Celestial. What brings you to our borders?” His voice was gentle as ever, that natural warmth pervading each word. No arrogance lurked in his posture. Only easy confidence.

[Image: T8yHvja.png]

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

07-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Dómari had long ago forsaken his imagination but now that his brother was here with him he found his mind reeling with possibilities. He could just see them climbing the ranks, gaining the respect of their packmates and forming a possible home for the rest of the family. This 'Ebony' no longer existed but they could perhaps recreate its spirit and a home for the Xanilov's here in Celestial. He had no idea what the others would think of this plan but he had Alarik's support and he could live with that.

"Yea! They're a ring of weird stones with carvings in the middle. I think they're supposed to be magical." Dómari was about to answer Alarik's question about Regulus when the alpha appeared. Dómari dipped his head low in greeting. "Hello Regulus! This is my brother Alarik Xanilov. He's interested in joining Celstial." Dómari took a few steps back so that Alarik could take the stage.

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-01-2017, 09:46 PM

Dómari started to explain how runestones were a ring of stones with carvings in the middle, which were apparently supposed to be magical, and Alarik listened to his brother with wonder in his eyes. But before Dómari could answer any more of his questions, a soft rustle caught his attention and out of nowhere, the alpha stepped into view. He knew it was the alpha, not because of any physical description, but just from the way he held himself. Alarik immediately lowered his tail as a sign of respect, and dipped his head low in greeting the same way his brother had done.

Regulus introduced himself and asked what had brought Alarik to the borders of Celestial, and then after a brief introduction from Dómari, he figured it was his turn to speak. He cleared his throat lightly and offered the alpha an amicable smile. "Originally, I came to your borders because I was in search of my brother and his trail led me here," the young man explained. "But I have been searching for a place to call home, and after hearing such good things about your pack from Dómari... I would like to ask if I might join your ranks."

"Talk" "You" Think

Regulus

Somnium
Ascended

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
07-04-2017, 06:20 AM

The great red Archangel had to smile at the words he’d caught from Domari as he’d made himself known. He’d often wondered at the standing stones shrouded in the thickest of the mists at the heart of the moor. His mother had once passed down the story from his grandmother, after she’d passed on, that the stones were made and put there by creatures long since passed on.

He grinned at Domari, nodding back and studying the fellow’s brother as he introduced him. Xanilov. He’d been thinking about that name since Domari had joined. Something about it was familiar and rang a bell. However, beyond these two, he’d never met someone who’d given that surname.

He listened attentively to Alarik’s explanation and grinned again. “What skills are you most familiar with, and where do you want to put your hardest work into learning and bettering them? And are you willing to be active, work hard, and participate with the pack?”

His eyes flicked to Domari. He’d liked what he’d seen in this fellow, and he hoped his brother would prove as likeable. Then the stone dropped in his mind, and he added, “You wouldn’t happen to be related to a Raisa Xanilov? She was the Queen of Ebony back when my grandmother was the leader of Valhalla.”

The memory struck warm and comfortable in his mind as he thought back to the stories his grandmother would tell himself and his sisters. About traveling to the East to meet with other packs, and who all she had encountered.Raisa had seemed, she’d said, like a good, strong Queen to her pack, with supportive members that had also presented themselves at the borders. These two carried similar masks to what his Grandmother had described.

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

07-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Dómari sat back and let Alarik take the lead. It was difficult to resist the urge to chime in at every turn and even more difficult to stay still. In his mind there was no way that Regulus would ever turn away his brother and so the thought of Alarik being turned down simply did not land on his radar. Regulus asked about Alarik's skills and Dómari found himself wondering about those as well. They hadn't ever really talked about their goals to each other apart from Dómari's sudden interest in healing and he felt suddenly ashamed that he'd never bothered to ask what his brother was most interested in.

The conversation continued and then Dómari had to interject with Regulus brought up Raisa. He stood up suddenly. "Yes! She's our grandmother. Do you know where Ebony is? How is everyone?" He was suddenly conflicted. He'd only just joined Celestial but if Ebony still existed then they had to go there and reunite with their family. It was the whole reason they came.

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-04-2017, 10:35 AM

Alarik kept his attention on the crimson alpha, wanting to show how ready he was to give his skills to this pack. He took a breath and looked at his brother. The thing was, he'd never really shared this before. It was clear that he loved hunting, but he usually told people his pursuit was fighting. Being a strong and gallant knight, like he and his brother had just been talking about. But now was the time to be totally transparent about his intentions. So he smiled and turned to Regulus. "I have some experience and interest in fighting, but I'd like to put most of my focus on hunting. That's what I feel I'm best at, and what I most enjoy doing."

"And I think I could really improve both skills, and use them to support and protect the pack. That's what I want, I'm just... tired of not feeling like I have a purpose in life. If accepted, I would not only agree to be active and work hard for the good of the pack. I would genuinely enjoy it." He nodded a bit, hoping his words conveyed his feelings accurately enough. He wanted Regulus to know how badly he wanted this. He wanted him to know he intended to pull his weight at all times.

But after that, the alpha asked something else. He asked if Alarik and Dómari happened to be related to a Raisa Xanilov. At the sound of her name, Alarik felt his heart flutter. He opened his mouth to tell Regulus that she was their grandmother, but Dómari beat him to the punch, and he chuckled a little and nodded as if to confirm what his brother had said. But then he got excited, and started asking Regulus if he knew where Ebony was. Alarik felt his ears leaning toward his skull in embarrassment, or some similar emotion. "We looked everywhere, Dom," he said quietly. "I think Ebony is gone. Maybe we need to move on." It was a hard thing to say.

"Talk" "You" Think

Regulus

Somnium
Ascended

gems
size
Extra large
build
Heavy
07-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Regulus listened with interest to Alarik’s response, nodding gently with a grin. “Very good. Now, I don’t know if your brother told you before I arrived, so I will tell you now. I will test you to see if your skills are good enough to merit you becoming a member of the pack. Since your interest lies in fighting and hunting, I will test you either by sparring with you, and having you try tracking a prey animal, or I will ask you questions about the subjects, a sort of quiz. All wolves will go through this kind of testing.

“Depending on how you do, I will decide whether you join as a ranked wolf, or a Unit member who will need training before rising, or if I must turn you away.” Those fathomless eyes gazed at Alarik as the Archangel continued, though he paused now and then to be sure the boy was listening and absorbing the information. It was the same information he’d given Domari the day he’d joined.

“Celestial is a pack that values hard work, and earning your way up with that hard work, and working together, and I will hold you to your word about wanting to uphold that value, and I hope you back that word up with action.” He gave the boy a slight grin before he continued.

“Upper ranks can be challenged for, save for the ranks of Future, or Heir, and Consort. But—if you choose to challenge for a high rank, you had better be sure you’re doing it for the good of Celestial, and not merely personal gain. And I must be informed beforepaw and be there to witness the challenge. Not doing so means I will have to evict you from the pack. Do you understand?”

Domari’s words in response to his query about being related to the Ebony Queen brought a regretful frown to his face, and he had to nod in agreement with Alarik. “I’m afraid Ebony fell or was disbanded a long time ago. It’s not entirely certain what happened, but it’s not there any longer. I am sorry.” The words were sincere, and if Ebony had still stood in the East, he wouldn’t have blamed the two boys for wanting to join their family members. It was what he might have done if he hadn’t had Celestial. But he couldn’t imagine not living out his life on the plains, where his mother had been born.

So much history had been soaked into the earth.

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

07-12-2017, 06:46 AM

Alairk spoke of his skills and interests and Regulus spoke of much of what he had when Dómari joined, explaining the pack and how ranks worked. When Regulus heard Dómari's question about Ebony the boy was beyond ecstatic. Regulus knew Raisa! They had never had the chance to meet their grandmother but he'd heard so many stories and he wondered if she was still alive, sitting in her kingdom all this time, just waiting for them. Part of him knew it was a naive hope. Part of him was trying to temper his expectations but he'd gotten caught up again in the dream that had played over and over again in his head since he was a pup. That moment they would finally be reunited with the rest of their family.

Alarik spoke quietly to him, telling him that it was time to move on but Dómari didn't want to hear that. If there was a chance that Ebony had been right under their noses the whole time they had to pursue that. They'd searched for so long. Then Regulus answered his question and he came crashing down. Ebony fell long ago. Dómari took a deep breath as his greatest fears were confirmed. So they had been wandering around this continent chasing ghosts after all. It reaffirmed his decision to join Celestial at the same time it broke his heart. "And Raisa?" He dreaded the answer to that question even more but he had to ask it.

Alarik

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Medium
player
07-15-2017, 05:37 PM

Regulus went on to say that he would test Alarik on his skills, to see if he really would be an asset to the pack. The thought of being tested made the young man a bit nervous, he had to admit. But he was sure he was talented enough to earn a place in the pack. He just needed to be confident, and show that he was willing and eager to learn. That was all the alpha of a pack could ask for, right?

Alarik nodded as Regulus went on to talk about Celestial being a pack that valued hard work. "Nothing good can come without hard work, I know that," Alarik said with a smile. "I promise if you accept me, you won't be disappointed." It was a hefty thing to say, but he wouldn't take it back. He had to believe he would be a valuable addition to this pack. He had to believe this was where he was meant to be.

He nodded to show that he understood everything the crimson male had said so far. But then, the subject turned to Ebony. Regulus told them it had fallen or disbanded long ago. It was the sort of answer Alarik had expected, but it still knocked the breath out of him a little. Finding Ebony had been the sole reason for his family coming here. They had to find a new purpose now. But, his ears still pricked when Dómari asked about Raisa. Even if the pack was gone, that didn't mean their grandmother was. If they found her, maybe a new Ebony could be born.

It was long shot, but it was still a possibility.

"Talk" "You" Think