size
Large
build
Heavy
player

The Ooze ParticipantDouble Master
04-04-2020, 12:08 PM
That Sea is just a Gambler at Heart

Dómari returned to the main pack lands, his stomach growling as he went. He'd tracked a small herd of white tail deer to the southern side of the Vericona Plains, near the river. One of the bucks was injured and bleeding from competing with another male and Dómari did not want to let the opportunity for an easy meal slip by. However, he wasn't going to be able to catch it solo, he knew that. Even though his fox companions insisted the three of them could he just wasn't sure. So he walked back to the center of the territory and let out a howl to see if anyone would join him on a hunt. The howl was bound to alert the deer as well so they'd have to be cautious but he hoped the hormones would keep at least the male deer distracted.

Nolan I

Somnium

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Athena I

Beevent
04-04-2020, 12:52 PM

Nolan had always been eager to learn and improve his skills, but something about coming to live in Valhalla had amplified that. Part of him just wanted to make sure he was being helpful, but another part felt like he needed to prove himself to the other pack members to make a good impression. When he heard a howl calling for hunters he felt like this was the perfect chance to do all of those things. He was quick to answer, trotting toward the source of the call with long-limbed strides. He gave the other male a friendly smile as he approached and stopped a comfortable distance away. Nolan recognized him from seeing him around the pack, but wasn’t positive of his name. ”I don’t think we’ve formally met yet. I’m Nolan,” he said in greeting, his tail slowly wagging behind him. He felt far less nervous about meeting new wolves after the time he spent with Cairo. That had helped him get over the initial jump of introducing himself to the pack and had at least given him the reassurance that even if he didn’t get along with everyone here he at least had one friend for certain. He waited to see if anyone else would be joining them and to see what it is they would be hunting today.

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

An icon representing the specialty Weaponsmaster Weaponsmaster

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy

Halloween 2020 - Witches HutValentines 2020
04-04-2020, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 03:13 PM by Cairo II.)

His attention was brought from the rabbit trail he was investigating by a howl, and excitement tingled through his veins. His second hunt? Excellent!

Cai whirled on his hocks and broke into a slow lope, not wanting to be out of breath and winded by the time he reached the caller, but wanting to be punctual in his attendance. After all, if he wanted to be a Beta, he needed to uphold the pack values and rules, and punctuality to such things as this was an important kind of effort. It said, I am serious about caring for the pack and giving my all to see Valhalla fed and strong. Right?

He was pleased to see Nolan when he arrived, tail wagging easily as he came to stand by his cousin-friend and grinned first at Nolan and then to Domari as he added, “I’m Cairo Adravendi.”

He was a bit curious to see that Domari had a mask of similar shape to his own, but from what he could smell, there was no blood relation. Just a coincidence, then, but he liked the man already. After all, he’s called a hunt, and those hadn’t happened often during Cairo’s two years of life.

"What are we after?"

Walk ---- "Speak" ---- "Hear" ---- Think

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-10-2020, 10:18 AM

Dómari was pleased to see his call had been answered. Excitement stirred in his gut at the idea of hunting in a proper pack again. How long had it been? Years? It certainly seemed like it. He just hoped he wasn't too rusty. Being older the younger wolves of the pack might expect him to be more experienced but he wasn't sure that was the case. Survival had taught him to be resourceful as a lone hunter but coordinating a pack hunt was another matter.

"Nice to meet you Nolan, Cairo. I'm Dómari Xanilov. Thanks for joining me! I found a small herd of whitetail deer on the south side of the plains. There's an injured buck that I think could make good prey. C'mon I'll show you." He started heading south, speaking as he walked. "Since they're on the south side of the plains if we approach from the north we can start to box them in against the avian estuary. I think Nolan and I will do our best to herd the deer toward that estuary where they'll be slowed. Cairo, I'd like you to take the kill shot. How do you want to do this? We can wait for you to try and move to the south of them so we drive them toward you, or since the buck is injured, Nolan and I can focus on tripping the buck up when it falls behind and help keep it down while you take it out."

Nolan I

Somnium

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Athena I

Beevent
04-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Nolan was excited to see Cairo show up to join them, giving his friend a wide grin. He didn’t focus on it too much though since Domari introduced himself and began to explain what he had wanted help with. Bringing down an injured buck seemed like a pretty straight forward task so he was happy to join in on something that he felt fairly comfortable doing. He was young, but the group of wolves he used to live with certainly made sure all of their pups knew how to fend for themselves. Hunting a buck wasn’t something he could do on his own, but with the three of them there shouldn’t be too many issues!

He eagerly followed the lead of their hunt as he guided them toward the herd he had scouted out. Nolan listed to the plan, nodding quietly with understanding while Domari laid out his thoughts on the matter. His pink gaze shifted to Cairo when Domari gave him a few options for how they could hunt the deer, curious to what he would pick. Either way seemed like strong choices and his role in it was straight forward. He smiled and continued to follow along toward the southern part of the territory, simply excited to be taking part in something to help his new pack.

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy

04-11-2020, 11:15 PM

Cairo returned Nolan’s grin with his own, turning it to Domari as he introduced himself. So, this was the man Aurielle was talking about. He’d have to spar him later. His tail wagged with interest as he fell in step with the older wolf, listening as he explained, missing a step in surprise when he was offered the position of kill shot. On his first pack hunt since the moose? Hell yes.

He nodded quickly, accepting the post as Domari outlined the plans and options. He deliberated before he nodded, making a choice.

“The second one sounds good. Do I head south now or should we look at the deer first so I can figure a good spot?”

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-12-2020, 11:04 AM

Dómari thought for a moment then answered. "Let's take a look so you can figure a good spot, just in case they might have moved since I last saw them. Follow me!" He trotted south toward where he'd seen the deer grazing and he was pleased to see that they were still there, happily munching away on the grass. He kept his voice low. "Ok, go ahead and take up position. When you're ready we'll begin the hunt." Dómari's limbs coiled beneath him as he waited, keeping an eye on Cairo so he didn't accidentally lose where the man was in the tall grasses.

Once Cairo was in position it was time fo the hunt to begin. Dómari sank low and crept forward, pausing now and then when the deer started looking around. The day was calm thankfully so they didn't need to compete against the wind. He got about as close as he could, off to the buck's left, hoping Nolan would take the right. Then he sprang forward to get the deer running, keeping his focus on the buck.

Nolan I

Somnium

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Athena I

Beevent
04-12-2020, 06:48 PM
The lanky young man followed along next to Domari and Cairo until they finally had the buck in their sights. He gave Cairo a nod and a small grin when his friend went off to take his position, making sure to take note of where he was waiting so that he would know where to guide the deer to. He crouched down low next to Domari and waited until the older male began to move, following his lead and creeping through the grasses and hoping that his height wouldn’t betray him. Every time the deer would look up he would freeze, dropping down till his stomach was on the ground.

He edged toward the right of the deer since Domari took to the left and crept as close as he dared. He waited for his hunting partner to make the first move and then followed quickly behind, leaping out of the grass and scaring the deer toward their intended target. He kept an eye on the buck to make sure they were chasing it into the right direction and also looked for Cairo so that he could make that final blow. Nolan had to nip at the buck’s ankles several times to keep it from trying to dart in front of him to escape, but so far everything was right on target.

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy

04-12-2020, 07:25 PM

As he took in the small bunch of deer Domari showed them, he frowned in concentration until he marked the injured buck and nodded to himself. As Domari prompted him, he turned and loped southward, circling around far enough that he wouldn’t spook the deer before it was time.

The next few minutes were one of waiting and watching for the deer. His ears were perked sharply, listening for the drum of hooves. There. He spotted the deer as they fled the two wolves that coursed after them. The dear in the lead he gave a low bark, and they parted around him, leaving their injured brother behind.

Cairo coiled himself low to the ground, running through the memories of stories Aurielle told him about her father hunting bucks solo. Something about grabbing the antler and swinging?

The singular set of hooves bounded falteringly closer, and he bolted forward as he judged the time to be right. The buck snorted and balked as the chocolate splotched wolf popped out of the grass in front of it and Cairo wavered slightly, cutting back and forth as the buck tried to bolt around him. But it gave his hunting partners time to catch up as he bided his time.

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-12-2020, 07:54 PM

The deer scattered and the buck started heading directly south with most of the herd though a few deer slipped away here and there. Dómari couldn't be concerned with them. He put on a burst of speed, as much as he was able with his larger frame. As they got closer to where Cairo was hiding he come up behind the buck and snapped at its legs, putting on one more burst as he caught the buck's left ankle in his jaws and held on tight. The buck stumbled and slowed, kicking violently and thrashing. Dómari held on as best he could, leaning to the left to try and stay out of the range of the right leg until Nolan could secure it and prevent either one of them from getting kicked in the head. Hopefully with them providing a distraction they could leave the buck open enough for Cairo to get the kill shot.

Nolan I

Somnium

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Athena I

Beevent
04-13-2020, 02:50 AM
He was able to keep pace with the group pretty well with his long, loping gate, but the moment that he noticed Domari dart forward to bite into the buck’s leg he went to do the same. His jaws latched onto the deer’s right leg slightly above its ankle, gripping on tight and bringing their prey pretty much to a halt. It still flailed and struggled against them, but he refused to let go. With two of its legs incapacitated, it’s balance was completely thrown off and the buck went crashing to the ground. Now that he knew Cairo was in position he put his entire focus into keeping the buck from getting away and hopefully minimizing how much it was able to flail around like a dying fish. He let go of the buck’s leg for just a moment to shift his grip, instead biting closer to the buck’s thigh since he thought that might give him a better hold on their prey. Now he just waited for it to all be over so they could take this kill back and celebrate a successful hunt!

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy

04-13-2020, 05:19 AM

The buck came crashing down, hind legs immobilized as Domari and Nolan caught hold, though it didn’t stop attempting to kick. It’s head thrashed, threatening with antlers and flailing forelegs and Cai waited for the moment between efforts before he dove in, slamming his weight down on the buck’s front legs to pin them as he ducked past the rack it slung at him and chomped down on the throat, just under the jaw.

He felt his teeth punch through, and a rush of warmth filled his mouth and coated his tongue. He gave his head a wrench and shake, widening the holes before he ripped free, making sure the buck was well and truly downed before he staggered to his paws and huffed, jaws panting as the adrenalin zinged through him, tail beginning to wag as he realized he’d just taken down his first deer as a hunter.

His front paws danced a little before he grinned at his partners, flush with the success of the hunt. “I think we did good, right?”

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-17-2020, 06:32 PM

Dómari held as steady as he could until Cairo was able to get in position and deliver the killing blow. He felt the deer's struggling becoming less and less until it finally stopped moving all together. He slowly let go of his grip and then stretched his jaw. Grinning at the other hunts he nodded. "Yea, great job everyone!" He meant it. They worked wonderfully together to take down the deer and the meal would be much appreciated by the pack. "Let's go ahead and take this back to the main den area. I'm sure everyone would appreciate a nice meal." Though he supposed he could call them for a picnic but his fangs had already latched hold of the buck's neck as he lifted it up to get the antlers off the ground for easier dragging.

-exit?-

Nolan I

Somnium

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Light
player
Athena I

Beevent
04-18-2020, 06:15 PM
Nolan held tight to the deer's leg until he finally felt its struggling stop. He glanced up at Cairo, seeing his friend's tail wagging victoriously. Nolan let go of their prey with a wide grin, his wail wagging as well. The praise they received from Domari certainly helped confirm his thought that this had been a great hunt and he nodded in agreement. He had always enjoyed a good hunt since it meant he was able to help provide for his family and now he was getting to help take care of the whole pack. He wasn't sure what could be better than that. When Domari mentioned they should take it back for everyone to enjoy Nolan shot Cairo one last grin before grabbing ahold of the buck as well to help drag it back toward the dens. He couldn't wait to tell his mother about this and share some of this with her.

-exit-

Cairo II

Loner

Master Fighter (250)

Master Hunter (295)

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy

04-19-2020, 10:33 PM

Domari’s praise brought a fresh well of accomplishment to the Adravendi’s heart, but still. “Next time, I’m going to not falter in striking. I hesitated before I attacked.” He gave a nod, mostly to himself, tail still wagging with a fresh surge of determination. Next time, he’d do better.

Domari had the buck’s neck, and as Nolan took a hold, Cairo took hold of a foreleg and lifted, pulling with the two males as they headed back toward Valhalla’s center. He was looking forward to the projects the deer would provide, seeing the hide folded, or being worn by one of his packmates. Every bit of this buck would find a use, from the bones and hide and flesh to the blood. Was there a way to store it somehow?

His head whirled with possibilities as he pulled, and he looked forward to the future.

-exit indeed!-