Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

LegendaryWealthySamhain 2022Statue 1 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1
WordySilver Medal 2020Critical Hit!Critical Fail!Trick 2019Promptober 2019
05-09-2021, 11:34 PM
As Resins’s bouts became more aggressive and more often, he was called back to the Hallows. He dropped everything and came with all speed. He found Tamsyn first, but it wasn’t long before he was looking for Artorias. He bit back a sigh when he realised where his paws were leading him. Him and Art seemed to have a rocky relationship. He loved the boy. Privately, he had already started to call him ‘son’ Art was…. His godchild, and one of his kin. No matter what.

But both of them were bullhead, and under a tremendous amount of stress. It led to more than a few grumps between them. In the end, the love won out, and he allowed himself to continue forward. Heading to the dojo, where Arts scent seemed strongest.

"Speech"

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
05-09-2021, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2021, 12:20 AM by Artorias. Edited 1 time in total.)

Humming thoughtfully, Artorias carefully repositioned the training dummy he had set up in the center of the sparring ring, getting it juuuuust right before stepping back to observe his work with a nod. Yep, that should do it! He stepped a couple paces back from the dummy to look over the straw-stuffed mannequin of a wolf, eyeing it like it were a potential threat. He rolled his shoulders, feeling the way the weight of his new, proper sword rested across his back. Amber eyes narrowed, muscles flexed, claws scratched at the stone floor. Turning his head, Artorias gripped the leather-wrapped hilt of his sword and drew it from its scabbard with a soft scraping of sharpened steel against leather. The swirling pattern of the Damascus blade glistened in the light streaming through the narrow windows around the top edges of the walls. Artorias felt the added heft of the steel in his grasp, a far cry from the wooden training swords he'd been used to. He would have to train with his real sword more often to get over that quickly.

Pacing side to side in front of the dummy, Artorias gave a little growl and sprung into action. He leaped forward, bringing his sword up with a twist of his head aimed for the dummy's neck. The blade sliced clean through the burlap, straw, and sticks holding it together, and the dummy's head toppled to the ground with a soft thud. Artorias blinked in surprise, taking a step back while staring in awe at how easily he had just decapitated his "foe". All at once, Artorias began to comprehend the lethality of the gift his parents had given him. This was the real deal, meant to do real damage. He thought back to when he had used Sirius' knife to stab the Warlord, and the feeling of power and deadliness it brought him. He would have to be extremely careful with it.

Artorias carefully slid the sword back into its scabbard, sliding it off of his shoulders while he began to collect the debris from the destroyed dummy. Shit, at this rate, he'd run out of training dummies before he could let any of the other Knights get some practice in!

"Artorias" | Thoughts | "Corbin"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

LegendaryWealthySamhain 2022Statue 1 WorshipThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1
05-10-2021, 12:26 AM
He leaned against the open doorway, silent and watchful as Artorias Sirius Carpathius growled and lunged at his foe. It was clear he was not expecting the easy give of the straw, and the exploding of stuffing left a mess for the boy to clean.

As Art sheathed his blade and began to clean, the Warlord moved into the room, and swept some of the straw with a large fluffy paw. ”If you're going to train with a sharp edge you might think about stuffing them with sand. More clean up after - but more give when you swipe. Perhaps you could make another training ground near the beach” he had seen the boy's enjoyment of the waves - he might find it peaceful. He pushed more of the straw towards the center. He had a feeling Art was familiar with the actions of cleaning up this dojo.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
05-10-2021, 12:37 AM

While Artorias had been considering what to do about the fragility of the training dummies compared to a real sword, his unspoken question was answered by a deep, familiar voice from behind. The boy turned to face Sirius while the Warlord helped sweep up the scattered straw into a tidy pile in the center of the dojo, looking back at the dummy while he thought about the advice suggested. He pouted a lip and nodded his head while he considered having them filled with sand and another arena on the beach. It would also give the Knights another place to train, maybe get them used to combat on unfamiliar terrain. "Not a bad idea, setting up on the beach," he agreed, using a paw to clean up the straw around him to join Sirius' pile. "I don't mind having sand in here. Might make for a better feel on the paws than hard stone all the time anyway."

Once the straw and debris had all been gathered up, Artorias glanced up at Sirius with a quizzical look. "Didn't you just go home not long ago?" he asked in jest, though there was a little bit of a defensive edge to his voice while he set to dismantling the destroyed training dummy. "Gonna yell at me about how bad of a wolf you are again?" Resin's condition had gotten dramatically worse since Seer had last been in the Hallows, and Artorias did not have the patience to deal with the Warlord's self-deprecation and emotional baggage today.

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-10-2021, 12:54 AM
There was something very familiar about pushing the remains of a training dummy to a tidy pile. It brought him back to older days, training younger wolves on his beach training grounds. It brought an amused smile to his maw as he dusted off his paws overtop of the pile.

The smile turned into something closer to a smirk at the boy's words. “I’m not a complete fool. I don’t think you believed me the first time.” He let out a soft sigh, silent for a moment. He looked about the dojo, taking in this training space for knights before he spoke. “There are stages of grief Art, you and your Mumma dragged me kicking and screaming out of the worst one.” He left it at that. He wasn’t…. Suicidal anymore. More reckless perhaps, but not actively seeking out the end. Perhaps Asla had helped with that. His girl. She would never, ever forgive him. He could no longer fool himself otherwise.

“I’m here for Resin” And you and Tamsyn he left unsaid. His grief could be stuffed into a box, now that the jagged edges of it had smoothed a little. Today, tomorrow, Resin and her kin came first. He was done being selfish. (Or as much as the bastard could be)

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-10-2021, 01:09 AM

A short laugh left the Carpathius boy. Sirius was right about that, he didn't believe the Warlord was a bad wolf. Maybe once upon a time, maybe in another life... but not this Sirius. Not his Sirius. The corners of his mouth twisted upward in a crooked smile, happy to hear that Seer had gotten through the worst of his grief. A masochistic side of him silently wondered what that pain must have felt like to bring such a powerful wolf to his knees like that, and he hoped he would never have to experience it firsthand. "So that means I don't get to stab you anymore? Aww, what a shame..." Artorias said, his voice heavy with sarcasm. At the time, losing control and nearly killing Sirius had caused him a mental breakdown. Now, reflecting back on how the two of them had behaved, he could at least joke about it.

His words stopped Artorias dead in his tracks. He was here for Resin. His fur bristled a little and his body went rigid. Memories of his last interaction with his mother down in the dungeons played painfully back in his head. The way she looked at him like he was a stranger. How she had asked who he was with complete seriousness. The utter lack of recognition in her eye or her expressions. His heart ached, the broken pieces of it burning like they were on fire. He screwed his eyes shut and shook his head to clear the thoughts away. He couldn't cry anymore; he'd already drained himself of anything left.

"I'm afraid you're too late..." he muttered just enough to be audible, breaking down the dummy and setting the pieces of it aside without looking back at Sirius. "My Mom's gone... All that's left is what's pacing in the cell downstairs. She doesn't recognize anyone, doesn't know who she is, barely speaks coherently. She..." She didn't even recognize me. He couldn't bring himself to say it, because saying it out loud would mean admitting that his mother was gone—dead and gone, a living husk of who she once was, a wraith of her former self. Resin was dead to the world already, but he wasn't ready to let her go.

One big happy family

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-10-2021, 01:21 AM
“Hey! Hey,” the Warlord said, raising his hands in protest. “I never said anything of the sort” not that he was volunteering to be Art’s punching bag, but they would definitely get plenty of chances to train together. Occasionally… that might mean stabbing. Poor Tamsyn. She seemed to care about how many holes he had more than he did.

His mention of Resin set Art’s back up. Fair enough, it was a touchy subject, and Sirius could understand that completely. “I’m here for what she means to me, and what others mean to her.” He looked at the boy closely, his reaction strong and painful. “What did she say?” he asked softly. He looked like a man that needed to get it out. Art had stood by him well Sirius had - painfully- lashed out. Now. Now it was his turn. He moved forward and rested a paw on the other boy's shoulder. A shoulder that really wasn’t that much smaller than Seers now.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-10-2021, 01:31 AM

He didn't want to answer the Warlord's question. He didn't want to have to say the words and explain what had broken his heart when he'd seen Resin last. He wanted to pretend that everything was going to be fine and it would all work out in the end; that this would somehow have a happily ever after in it, just like the stories Tamsyn had told them when they were pups. But he couldn't. That wasn't an option anymore. Part of growing up and becoming an adult meant facing the painfulness of reality—and right now, reality was sucker punching him like there was no tomorrow. He felt the weight of Sirius' paw on his shoulder, and his body both relaxed and gave a shudder of pent up emotion under the his godfather's touch. He didn't want to tell Sirius, but if Sirius was already here, he'd find out the truth on his own soon enough. The least he could do was prepare the Warlord for the fight he was about to be facing.

"She... didn't even say that much," he began. His ears folded back to his head, eyes glassy and distant while he recalled that moment with horrific clarity. "She didn't recognize me. Not at all. It was as if she had never met me before. She just said, 'And who might you be?' when I came to her." His heart ached. That had felt like a punch in the gut, the moment he realized he had been too late to say goodbye to his own mother. "I went right after I was given my rank in the pack. I just... wanted to thank her for everything she did for me. All the lessons, all the guidance, all the training and love... But I was too late. She was already gone... Not violent like she is now, just... gone. Like someone had erased all of her memories."

He took in a breath, his body shaking as he did so, and peered up at Sirius, who wasn't too much taller than he was now. "I know there's nothing more we can do to help her... I just want you to know how she is so maybe it won't hurt you as bad as it hurt me." Artorias trembled again, forcing himself to hold it all together. All he had wanted was one last moment with his mother, one last chance to say he loved her and get his goodbyes in, and even life had stolen that away from him. It wasn't fair. Why did he have to keep failing and losing?

One big happy family

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-10-2021, 01:40 AM
She was coherent and speaking, but didn’t recognise her own kid? Surely that was different from the sudden flip to rage and anger that he had seen and heard about. It was like her mind was dissolving of all the things that made her Resin.

Artorias had had to look his mother in the eye and hear her call him a stranger. “She knew.” He said honestly, and with absolute truth. “What she made here - the pack, Tamsyn, you Gwen and Rudy. This was what she wanted more than anything in life. When she first came to the Armada she was a recluse. A quiet wolf disinterested in making friends. She did late night patrols and kept to her own. Then she found Tamsyn, and she wanted more. She built this place to be the home of the virtues she believed in. Courage, justice, generosity. Kindness. You.” he touched Art lightly on the chest. “You are the embodiment of all of them, and she couldn’t be more proud of you.”

He recognized that the boy hadn’t wanted to tell him what he had found. But he did it, he did it to prepare Sirius. Even now, the boy was trying to do what was right, even when it hurt him. He knew exactly what Resin had created, and maybe he could understand a little of what Art meant - with those lost to them living on inside of them. He looked at Art, and he saw so much of what made Resin good.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-10-2021, 02:03 AM

Artorias didn't understand the first words that left Sirius' lips, not at first. Not until he continued to explain how everything his mother had done had been by design, how she had built and planned this pack from the start to be her legacy and to outlive her. He listened with attentive eyes and alert ears while his godfather listed every achievement Resin had clawed her way to, all her efforts put into everything she had created. And it all culminated in him. Artorias glanced down at his chest when Sirius' paw tapped him right where his heart beat, trying not to lose it while the Warlord called him the embodiment of all the good Resin had put into the world. He was unsuccessful though, and when Artorias Brough his eyes back up to Sirius', the emotions had manifested into two diamond-like shimmers in the corners of his eyes.

Without a word, Artorias leaned his head forward until he was resting his forehead against Sirius' chest, taking deep, ragged breaths in and out, in and out, following the deep breathing exercises Seer had shown him, though the emotions gripped his chest and made the motions far less fluid. He blinked back the tears, a couple managing to escape his lashes to drip down his muzzle and stain the stone beneath their paws. "I just wanted her to know... I wanted her to see how far her efforts had gone before she's gone..." The words came out between rasping breaths, each gasp for air making him quiver where he sat. Artorias was so fucking tired of crying, but it was all his body knew to do in these circumstances. He wanted to be stronger, for Resin, for his family, for the Hallows—for himself. He just wasn't capable with how bone tired and drained he was.

And all he wanted was for Resin to know how much good she had done with him.

One big happy family

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-10-2021, 02:12 AM
Oh, Art he thought softly. He hated this, hated how those he loved were in near-constant pain, and he could not fix it. Could not take it away. Art leaned against him, and the old Warlord hooked a paw gently around him, and gave his back a gentle pat. Giving Art a chance to let out his grief.

“She saw you as you were, what you are, and what you will be. We all do, Art. Your fearless, and noble, and you don’t give up. Resin, she already knew all of that, she knew that you loved her, and she you. What she wanted was to keep the image of her in your heart of who she was. Who she is at her core. What you can do to honor her isn’t about your last words to her, it's about honoring her. Remembering her, and doing right by her.”

“I’m here, I’m here, let it out” Sirius advised, running slow circles along Arts back with his paw. He held him gently, letting the boy cry.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-10-2021, 02:34 AM

If he was trying to be strong and hold himself together, Sirius saw too it that those efforts were in vain with his heartfelt words. Artorias closed his eyes, screwing them shut to block out the world while he trembled with each sob the Warlord pulled from him while he embraced him and reassured him of Resin's love and devotion for him. Everything he had done so far had been to honor her, to make her proud that he was her son, to bring glory and renown to the Carpathius family name. She would never get to see what he could be, what he could do thanks to her. But maybe Seer was right when he claimed she knew who he was and what he would be in the world. Maybe that was why she had taken him under her wing, tutored and trained him much more rigorously than any of his siblings, put more time and consideration into him. She knew who Artorias Carpathius would be, and she gave him all the tools to become a force for good and a true leader in the world.

It didn't stop the hurt though. Nothing would stop the hurt until the inevitable end came. Artorias simply wept, letting the remainder of the agony out while Sirius comforted him and rubbed his back, letting the boy know he wasn't alone. You're never alone, Art. The words Sirius had said weeks ago echoed in his head, and never before had he felt that statement ring so true as it did now. Breathe, he just had to breathe. In, and out. In, and out. Slowly but surely, Art began to collect himself, his crying fading off into weaker sobs, then into raspy breathing. He would honor Resin in the only way he knew how: he would lead his best life, guided by the virtues she had instilled in him from birth. Loyalty, justice, courage, empathy, protection. He would embody the spirit of Resin Carpathius long after she was gone, and the world would know his name, and the name of the Hallows far and wide.

Once he no longer felt the need to hide his face, Artorias sniffled and lifted his head from Sirius' chest. A paw wiped the remaining fluid from his eyes, taking a deep breath to steady himself before looking up into the Warlord's eyes with a grateful expression. "Thank you, Sirius," he said, soft and heartfelt. "For everything you've done for me and my family, thank you..." How could any wolf who had sacrificed and done so much for a family miles away from his own ever consider himself a bad guy? If it took him the rest of his days, Artorias was committed to showing Sirius that, despite his past, he was indeed a wolf worth revering.

One big happy family

Sirius

"Warlord"

The Hallows
High Councilor

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (275)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

05-10-2021, 02:41 AM
He held Art for a time, and the sobs turned to sniffles. Proving that he had indeed been in the presence of snot-nosed children in his life, Sirius used a paw to wipe Art’s eyes and nose free as he took a deep breath and steadied himself. He looked a little better then he had when Sirius had first walked in now. Had a chance to cry out some of the pain that had been left in him when he had seen Resin in the dungeons. That was… precisely why Resin had wanted to avoid that, but the Warlord supposed it was impossible to keep her own kids away forever.

He still wished he could have spared Art that.

“Hey, I owe you one for bleeding out my insanity.” He teased Art gently, giving him a light poke in his side. “How about we see if we can create some sand training dummies and give them a try out?” it would keep them distracted for a few hours.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

05-10-2021, 05:27 PM

Artorias gave a few breathless chuckles when the giant paw of Sirius swiped over his nose and eyes, helping to clean the boy up. It was very clear what kind of a father the Warlord was: loving and caring, despite his scary demeanor and volatile temper. He felt better after his emotional purge, managing a weak smile up at his godfather with an appreciative look. He still wished he'd been able to hold himself together, but it would be a good cautionary sign for Seer to know exactly what kind of condition Resin was in if it was getting the usually austere Artorias to break down like this. "Thanks," he said, his voice sounding tired and gutted of all strength. He would heal over time, that was assured, but the healing could only begin once the clock ran out on Resin, and that was a thought he didn't want to bear. Knowing that his recovery was tethered to his mother's demise.

Another laugh came from Artorias when Sirius said he owed it to the boy for bleeding his insanity out. "Literally bleeding it out," he remarked between his laughs, bumping Sirius' shoulder with his own while he turned back towards the training dummies. Making some of the sand dummies sounded like a great idea, and would give him a chance to train with something better suited for his new sword. It would also be a good chance to talk to Sirius about what his mother had mentioned to him.

"Sure, let's do it!" said Artorias, already on his feet. "Ulric keeps the materials for the dummies out by the training grounds in a shed. We can grab some and head to the beach while the weather's still nice." He moved towards the door, pausing to glance at Sirius again. "Hey, Sirius, while we do this, can I talk to you about leader-y and alpha things?"

One big happy family