An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-29-2022, 01:06 AM
The other wolf placed a paw over Mercurys. He could feel the warmth and support in that gesture. And, dammit, he could feel the tears slipping past his guard. He didn’t want to cry, he had no patience for it. Not right now. He raised the paw Art wasn’t touching and rubbed his eyes with the back of it. He let out a shuddered breath, Art’s kindness undoing him more then he would have expected.

“Then we go with speed” He said, taking the support Artorias offered him. He didn’t believe that Artorias had an ulterior motive. He wasn’t a wolf to hold a debt over his head, but even if he was in that moment Merc would have paid it. Paid almost anything for Wren to be safe and with him again. The thought chilled the gentle wolf as he got back to his paws. He wished he could find the right words to tell Artorias how much this gesture meant to him, but he knew that if he tried he’d fall apart. He couldn’t let that happen.

Instead, he started the journey, leading them away from the Bifrost and back to the North from which he came.

-- time skip --

Art’s timeline had been almost bang on, and it was growing late into the evening the day after the two had begun. Tired and weary, and nearing the end of his stores after the long three weeks he had spent searching, he was glad to slow his pace. Coming upon the scene that Wren had left was no comfort, however. He almost missed it in the growing shadows. There really was nothing left to show a fight had been here. Wind, rain, time, and critters had covered the trail. “It was here, this was where I found her blood.”

"Speech"
[Image: dg62nk4-76f92f5f-869b-474b-8882-b89098d6...nlMae_v5_o]

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
09-29-2022, 01:51 AM

The trek back up to northern Boreas was thankfully a smooth and uneventful endeavor. With Mercury at the lead position, the two males made short work of the distance, not stopping through the night save for when they needed a short rest. They arrived to the pine forest just as the sun was sinking past afternoon and into evening, painting the summer sky with purple and indigo hues. They would only have a limited amount of daylight to search with, but Artorias would do his best with what he had. Mercury confirmed that this was the location where he had found Wren's blood, and it was just as the Aegis had feared. Nothing remained of a crime scene to be found—no blood, no signs of a struggle, no scattered evidence or even scent trails to speak of. The land smelled as if nothing had been here in some time. It was apparent that when Menagerie had broken, its members had all scattered to the wind, leaving behind the past and mysteries to pick up the pieces of.

A disheartened frown tugged at Artorias' lips as he began to pace the perimeter of the spot Mercury directed him to. He started his investigation from the outside and worked his way in, sniffing about at everything. Every tree, every rock, every upturned spot of dirt. Nothing he sampled carried the scent of Wren. Every so often he'd pick up a stale scent of Menagerie, but even that was mostly faded after all this time. Standing over where Mercury had said the blood had been, Art dug through the topsoil to sniff at what lay beneath the surface, hoping that perhaps something had seeped into the earth to provide some clues, but he came up empty-handed yet again. Lifting his head, the experienced navigator began to survey the lands around them, trying to reverse engineer what direction the assailants might have taken. "Do you remember any other details about the scene? The number of sets of tracks? Which way they went off in? Was there a blood trail or just splatter around here?" He looked to Mercury for some more information. Artorias didn't expect Mercury to remember such finer details when he had likely been in a panic coming across the scene, but without them, their search would die here.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

Master Intellectual (240)

An icon representing the specialty Weaponsmaster Weaponsmaster

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-29-2022, 01:58 AM
Mercury watched as Artorias worked. He was very thorough, examining every rock and stone, and taking back layers of soil in search of clues. Mercury, having already gone over the scene himself, waited on the sideline. There wasn’t any evidence left for Mercury to disturb, but he took caution nonetheless. When at last Artorias came up empty, he grilled the start-coloured wolf for any information he might have.

“There was the blood there, and a trail that ended here” Mercury directed. Pointing out the places. It was a rougher guess than he would have liked, now that he didn’t have the scene before him. “I grid searched outwards from here and couldn’t find a trail to pick up. It was as if they vanished in thin air.” He paused, a strange thought coming to him for the first time. Perhaps it was being in Artorias’s presence that poked free the thought. “Your son in law… is he the only one of his kind?” something arial, and large enough to do it would account for the missing trail. He winced at the thought. The only thing something like Zeph would be able to take off with without leaving a trail was a body.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
09-29-2022, 05:40 PM

At Mercury's direction, Artorias continued to scour the site of the attack, searching in a dire attempt to find something—anything—that would help give them a lead or a clue. Alas, his digging turned up no hidden evidence and no trace scents left. Too much time had passed since the attack for the wolf to be able to pick anything up, no matter how keen his senses were. Art glanced up and followed Mercury's directions with his steely gaze when he pointed out which way the trail went. It veered off into the woods, which would have opened up to expansive tundra beyond. The dire wolf frowned. If whoever had attacked Wren had dragged her unconscious or lifeless body away through the woods, there was no telling where they could have gone. The likelihood of finding the once-alpha was now even more dismally low than it had started at.

Artorias breathed a heavy sigh, his shoulders slumping as he rose back to his height, listening while Mercury detailed how he had grid search the area and come up empty-handed. "Your method would have been much more effective at the time than my attempts," he conceded, which meant that their best chances of finding Wren had already been exhausted. The dark-furred wolf's following question brought a curious glance from the Aegis, followed by a dubious purse of his lips. "My son is the only one I've ever encountered, but he had to have come from somewhere. I do not know if Zephyrus' biological parents are still around or even if they live, but given that Zeph can only just lift a small prey animal in his current state, I doubt it was a predatory attack that got Wren." Artorias obviously did not know Wren as intimately as Mercury did, but he did know the young woman wasn't a small wolf by any means. He doubted that even at his full size and strength, a bird like Zephyrus would be able to spirit away Wren.

Looking around with disheartened defeat, Artorias drew in a deep breath and heaved another sigh, giving a little shake of his head at the impossibility he was faced with. "Mercury..." Artorias sighed again and took a few steps closer to the other wolf, turning his empathetic gaze back up to meet the Ermis man's stormy blue eyes. "I'm sorry, my friend. I don't think we're going to find anything else out here." Art turned his head out towards the pine woods, staring almost as if through the trees and the very fabric of time to see the scene unfold before him while he tried to hypothesize what happened. "Your account suggests someone or someones ambushed Wren and took her through the woods. Beyond that lies an open tundra where they could have taken her anywhere. I wish I could give you some miracle answer, but I can't lie to you. Finding Wren alive at this point... it likely won't ever happen." Softened amber eyes once more moved to hold the storm blue of his companion. "I'm sorry, I know this isn't what you hoped for."

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-29-2022, 05:52 PM
Considering Something like Zeph to have taken away Wren wasn't a thought he had liked, and he was glad when Artorias debunked it so easily. Paradoxically, that didn't man the likelihood of Wren surviving was any higher. He was still deep in consideration when Artorias spoke next. Hearing his name, Mercury drew in a sharp breath. He knew what was coming next, and all he could do was tense for the blow. Arts logic was irrefutable. His hypothesis on the events was likely the most accurate they would be able to form without any further hard evidence. "I suspect we both already knew the answer before coming out here." He said, voice a little bitter. Not towards Art, who had done the best he could to help Mercury. But to the situation as a whole. To lose the one he loved, and to know he would never have the answers… it wasn't easy.

"Thank you, Artorias. I'm sorry to have dragged you all this way but I appreciate the lengths you've gone." He said, eyes drifting to his paws again. This venture with Artorias had pushed aside some of the stillness, the directionless that had over taken him at the bifrost. But now that this last avenue had been exhausted he found it returning two fold. Where to go from here? It crossed his mind to walk out into the Northern cold. He would need only close his eyes, and his worries would be no more. The idea however repulsed him. He was likely the last of the Ermis line. Would he let the heritage of his people go so easily? "I have… much to consider now, I think. I can show you where you can den for the night if you like." He doubted Art would wish to take the same long journey back without respite.

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

09-30-2022, 12:20 AM

The crestfallen look that fell over Mercury's face was heartbreaking to the young alpha to witness. Artorias hated to be the bearer of bad news for anyone, and whenever he had to deliver it, he tried to be as empathetic and compassionate about it as he could. Even still, seeing the way Merc's eyes darkened and drifted away, hearing the bitterness of loss and the struggle of accepting the dramatic shift of his reality in his rich voice, it hurt his heart for the forlorn man. He didn't respond when Mercury suggested they had both known this would be the outcome, the look on the azure wolf's face speaking volumes without words. Yes, he had suspected that their investigation would yield nothing for them, but he had still gone willingly as a show of good faith to support Merc, and he would have done so a million times over.

"I'm so sorry, Merc. I wish I could've done more for you." Although he had nothing to feel guilty over, Artorias couldn't help but feel badly, wondering if he'd adversely given Mercury a false sense of hope by offering to come aid him in his search. He hadn't meant to get the man's hopes up only to dash them again with a venomous dose of reality. Mercury thanked him for his efforts, apologizing for taking him so far, but Art dismissed him with a swift shake of his head. "There's nothing to be sorry for, Mercury. You were doing everything you could to help someone you care about. Selflessness and devotion are both admirable qualities."

Mercury offered to show him a place to bed for the night, and as dusk took over the land, it sounded like a fantastic idea. The Aegis' paws ached from the long run from Auster to northern Boreas, and a good night's sleep would be welcomed. "I would be very grateful for that. Thank you," he replied, moving to position himself beside his fellow dire wolf to follow at his side. He could see the dour expression on the man's face and it worried him. It worried him because he recognized that same expression when he had felt lost and listless in the days before his mother's demise, when he'd felt utterly useless and a victim to forces beyond his control. Art didn't know if the pain in Merc's heart could ever be fully healed, but what sort of protector would he be if he didn't at least try? "What's your next move?" he asked with caution in his words, treading carefully around the subject while the wolves walked. He didn't know Mercury very well yet. Did the man have family he could go to? Would he remain in Boreas? What came next for Mercury Ermis?

One big happy family

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-30-2022, 12:48 AM
“You did more than most, and for a wolf you know in passing.” He said as Art mentioned a desire to be able to do more. Of course Mercury wished for a different outcome, but they couldn’t do anything to change reality. Only remember how much Art had put into trying to find a piece of hope in this disaster. As the Aegis agreed to bed down for the night, Mercury led the way to one of the rudimentary dens that had been set up in the Pines for the pack.

A quick scan told him no one or creature had taken up residence since Menagerie had disbanded, and he indicated for Artorias to make himself comfortable. Since both he and Art were exceptionally large and the average wolf in Menagerie had been a fair bit smaller, it was a tight squeeze.

As he settled down in one corner, politely giving the blue wolf as much room as he could, he answered the question. “I’m not sure. I was raised as a diplomat and a trader by my family. With their passing, I didn’t have anyone to make diplomacy or trade for. He explained. He was… obsolete. “With Wren he paused, his voice cracking a little. “I trained myself to be a guardian for her and the pack. I shored up my knowledge of fighting, and worked on strategies to defend her. Both physically and politically.” He closed his eyes for a moment. “And I still couldn’t save her.” saying it outloud, admitting it all… it came crashing into him. He had failed. Who was he, now? Without those he had loved and worked so hard for. “Now? Now I am nothing to no one.”

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

09-30-2022, 03:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2022, 04:27 AM by Artorias. Edited 1 time in total.)

Artorias simply tipped his muzzle to the wolf at his side and replied, "A wolf I know in passing, but a wolf all the same. It costs nothing to do the right thing." The azure-coated Carpathian man was far from perfect. He was not infallible, yet despite his faults and flaws, he was unwavering in his beliefs and creeds. He had always strived to be a force for good and justice in the world. There were no conditions to that. The short walk was done in relative silence, Mercury leading the way to one of the abandoned surplus dens that had once belonged to Menagerie. A quick sniff of his own confirmed what Mercury had concluded, then he followed the dusky male inside. The den wasn't very large and he and Merc were pressed close in the confined space, but it would suit them fine for the evening, and even still had the bedding that had been laid about for guests Menagerie had once been expecting.

Artorias took the corner opposite of Mercury, granting his companion as much personal space as the den could comfortably allow, though it was not much and each wolf was still within reaching distance. The softness of the fur bedding felt like heaven for his weary paws after their long trek, and Art settled in with a grateful sigh. He was going to sleep so well tonight! Artorias asked his question, and Mercury answered while they relaxed in the gradually darkening den as daylight faded and the moon replaced the sun. Mercury explained how he had been raised as a diplomat and trader by his family up until their passing. Black ears flicked back to his head, saying nothing while he paid close attention to Merc's story. He listened to the emotion in the other male's voice when he spoke of Wren and how he had become her protector—and how he couldn't save her. He finished his soliloquy by claiming he has nothing to no one. Once he stopped speaking, Artorias would give the dismal wolf his response.

A large blue paw reached across the space, seeking to grab Mercury's closest paw to him in a gentle yet insistent grasp. He wanted Mercury to look back up at him while fire-forged amber eyes sought his with a resolute comfort. "You are not nothing," he said in low tones that rumbled with the edge of a defiant growl. "We don't know each other well, but in the time I've spent with you, you've shown me pieces of your character, Merc. You sought out friends and allies in a foreign land. You picked up combat in the name of defending what you cared for because you believed in it. And when everything turned to shit, you didn't get swept away, you ran yourself ragged trying to help your comrades and find the woman you love. In just these moments, you've shown loyalty, innovation, adaptability, dedication, passion, and resilience. These are all noble traits that others are lucky to possess maybe one or two of. That is what you are."

Artorias reclined back a bit then, letting his paw slip from Mercury's if the man hadn't stopped him before. His expression softened a bit more, but his eyes continued to burn with that conviction he refused to let go of. "You've been many things for others in your life. Now you get to decide for yourself who you want to be. Are you the trader, the diplomat, the warrior, the leader, a blend of all four? It's a decision that will take time, but when you know, you'll know. You get to decide who Mercury Ermis is." Artorias breathed a sigh and gave Mercury a few moments to digest his words before he let his own guard down to show the dark-furred male who the Aegis of the Hallows was. "I've failed wolves I cared about too. I told you before that my mother had given me my sword before she died. What I didn't tell you is that she died because of me." A pain softened Artorias' blazing gaze some, the alpha turning his eyes downward while he slipped into memory. "A pack of massive dire wolves attacked the Hallows. My mother was killed defending our home. The only reason those wolves attacked us is because they had come to get revenge on me for blinding one of their own in a fight. No matter how hard I fought, I wasn't able to save her either. I watched her die right before my eyes. I’ve had to live with knowing that she was killed because of a consequence of my actions, and it’s something I’ve had to accept as part of my past and come to terms with so it doesn’t destroy me."

Artorias thought to himself for a minute, pondering the predicament Mercury was in. What the wolf really needed was time and shelter to make sure he recovered at his own pace while making sure he was caring for himself. Too easy would it have been for a loner to simply end their lives when dejected or hurting. He refused to let that happen to a noble soul like Mercury. "Come back to the Hallows with me. Stay with us while you recuperate from this ordeal. We aren't just a place for physical healing, but mental, emotional, and spiritual as well. You don't need to commit to joining, just stay at least until you get back on your paws and figure out who you want to be. But I would be ecstatic to welcome you in if you chose to stay with us." Ultimately, the decision was Mercury's to make. Art didn't want the other man to feel like he was taking advantage of his current misfortunes to sway Mercury into joining the Hallows. If he wanted to be a member of the Hallows, then Artorias was glad to receive him, but more than anything he wanted to help Mercury recover and decide who he wanted to be.

One big happy family

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
09-30-2022, 12:46 PM
Artorias settled in across from him, and Merc found himself glad for the company. The small desire to take the easy route into the snow worried him. There would be no point in so much as considering it while in company of the Alpha. He didn't have to stew alone with his thoughts and see where they led him. Not yet, at any rate. When Artorias reached out for him, he let the other take his paw. Feeling the warmth of the other wolf, and remembering a time when it was easy to surround himself by friends and family. Mercury was a wolf who's ambition in life was to support and care for others. That's was made him feel fulfilled, and content. It was hard to do do when he didn't have anyone to support.

Art began to speak of what Mercury had accomplished, and he shifted. Feeling uncomfortable. All of these traits were perfect for supporting a family, a pack. All of these traits had still left alone. Not once, but twice. What good were they to him now? Did he really want to try again? Put his heart and sound into something and watch it crumble?

It wasn't until Artet slip his mask and spoke of his own losses that Mercury really pulled himself out of the whirling sorrow in his heart. Pausing his self-destruction to look at Art and really listen. The scenario Art spoke of was painful, and Merc shook his head. "How do you keep yourself sane?" He asked softly. Guilt was certainly an emotion that Mercury struggled with. Perhaps he could learn something from Artorias. Who was good, and strong and kept the part of himself that sought to help others, despite his loss.

When Artorias spoke of coming to the Hallows to recuperate, he considered it. He thought of what it would be like to watch the lives of others moving around him without committing to something. It wasn't until the blue wolf offered for him to stay- and to admit that he hoped Mercury would, that he breathed a sigh of relief. Perhaps it was disloyal to join with others so soon, but he'd done everything he could to find Wren. He knew he wouldn't survive living alone with the guilt of it. "If you'll have me, I'll join your pack. As a perminant member, if you have the space. The idea of not working towards the good of all just leaves me feeling hallow. Perhaps it's disloyal to those gone…" he shook his head "but you appreciate the same values I do"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

10-01-2022, 01:02 AM

All the while he spoke, Mercury remained quiet and contemplative. Artorias had no way of knowing what the other man was thinking or if he was getting through to him, but he sincerely hoped his words were making a difference. Even just a little bit would help. Eventually, Mercury would ask him a question, and a damn good one at that. How did he keep himself sane amidst the guilt he carried for the wolves he failed? Resin, Bowen, Gwynevere, Rudyard, Avantika... He'd failed to protect them all at one point or another. Artorias shifted his head on his paws, glancing at the wall of the den while he considered his companion's question. How did he keep himself sane? "Sometimes I don't," he admitted readily in hushed, husky tones, swallowing thickly past the emotion such thoughts brought up. He looked back to Merc then. "But then I remind myself that one failure does not define me nor discredit or undo all the good that I've tried to do as well. I remember that I am the sum of all my parts, successes and failures, and every time I fall, I can either stay down or get back up and try again. The wolves I lead, the wolves I love... they're worth getting back up for."

Artorias shifted to lie down more comfortably in the slightly cramped den, keeping his gaze on Mercury's all the while as the two wolves bore their hearts and souls to find kindred spirits in one another in the quiet night. "A failure is only a failure if you learn nothing from it, Merc. My mother used to tell me that failing is a way of learning a lesson, and we can either grow stronger from it or let it break us." Fiery eyes steeled as he reached forward to tap his paw on Mercury's again. "Do not let this break you." After a few moments of quiet consideration, Mercury said the words Artorias had been hoping to hear. A relieved smile spread softly over the alpha's lips as the newly made vagabond agreed to come join the Hallows as a permanent resident. "We have plenty of space and room, my friend," he reassured the much too considerate Ermis man. He listened in silent courtesy to Mercury's thoughts on the matter, but was quick to sharpen his gaze and shake his head. "The only disloyalty you could show to those who are gone is by not honoring them in the way you live after them. Honor them with your actions and your decisions. Keep them in your heart, but remember that the past is a lesson learned, not a chain to tether yourself to."

The Aegis lowered his head back down to the furs, relaxing once again as relief washed over him. Knowing that Mercury would no longer be killing himself trying to track down a wolf he doubted anyone would ever see again brought his troubled mind some peace. He was not able to save all of the members of Menagerie, but he had saved Audra and Mercury. That would be enough for him. "I hope you can find what you need with us, Mercury," Art spoke softly. "The Hallows has been many things to many wolves. I hope it can be the final place you ever need to call home." Gods knew the poor wolf deserved it for all he'd been through...

One big happy family

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
10-01-2022, 01:52 AM
It was a good answer. Mercury put his head in his paws. Feeling something akin to manic laughter struggling to bubble free. By the singing trees, he wanted to cry. Instead, he swallowed the feeling, rubbed his eyes, and lifted his head again. Artorias survived because wolves depended in him. Wolves he loved enough to push past the pain. He reached over, offering the other wolf his paw. "It's no small feat, and I hope those wolves know how lucky they are to have you." He said, concentrating on Artorias and blotting out his own pain.

Mercury sighed softly, and gave the blue man a small smile. “Somehow, I don’t think you’ll allow me to break” there was a slight uptick in his voice, almost a tease. Just like that, he had joined with the Hallows. It seemed he would be making the journey back to the Bifrost with Art on the morrow. Somehow, the long journey didn’t feel very daunting to him.

“I will give the Hollows my all, this I promise you” He swore softly as Art spoke of hoping Merc found a home there. “I do have a request, if I may. Is there a large tree in the Hallows land I may be able to appropriate for my own uses?”

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

10-15-2022, 05:29 PM

Artorias watched with quiet contemplation while Mercury seemed to go reeling through the stages of grief. Slowly coming to terms with his reality as it was. When he reached for him, Artorias reached back, his paw meeting the dark wolf's halfway across the small space. Mercury voiced his admiration for Artorias' position, and the young alpha gave a rueful chuckle. "We are all lucky to have one another in the Hallows. We are a family, and like a family, we are stronger together," he remarked. Artorias would never take credit for himself without giving the same credit back to his wolves. Everything he did, everything he accomplished, it was because of them. Some might say his humility was a weakness, that he didn't take enough praise for himself. Art considered it a strength to know that he had over two dozen wolves standing beside him, ready to face the world together.

Mercury teased him back, accusing the Aegis of not allowing him to break. Artorias responded with a smirk back and a shake of his head. "No, I don't suppose I will." Merc vowed that he would commit all of himself to the Hallows, and Art's smirk turned to a softer smile. "Of that, I have no doubt, Merc." The next thing the Ermis wolf asked of him piqued his interest. The request for a large tree for his uses brought forth a slew of questions, the alpha starting with the first and most obvious. "The Hallows has many trees, though it would help to know what your 'uses' are for them before I can recommend one." A curious brow raised above his fire-toned eyes. What would Mercury need a specific tree for? Was he a climber like Sota was? Was it for a religious or spiritual purpose? Or something he hadn't even considered?

One big happy family

Mercury

The Hallows
Commander

Master Fighter (240)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced

Samhain 2022
10-19-2022, 10:59 PM
Mercury had a feeling he was very lucky. Lucky that Artorias had found him, and that he was able to offer the Ermis a safety line. He wasn’t sure where all this would take him, but it was clear it would take him somewhere. A future, when moments before he had none.

Artorias was rightly confused at his request, and Mercury gave him a small smile, looking up at the roof of their den, contemplating the stars that were out of sight for the moment. Considering his words. Always, he considered them. Careful of letting too much of his grief out at once. “My people have a belief, and a tradition. When a wolf passes, their loved ones make them a windchime. We hav-- had a forest dedicated to them. We believe that each windchime, unique in its crafting as the wolf it was meant for, has a voice. A voice for those that we’ve lost. We called them the singing trees, and when the wind swept through the forest would sing. Alive with the voices of those gone. Some recently, and some from generations ago. Our way of keeping a part of them alive. I would like to honour that tradition, if you’ll let me” he explained.

"Speech"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

10-26-2022, 11:50 PM

As Mercury proceeded to explain his need for a decent sized tree, Artorias found himself enthralled in the reasons the other man had for his request. So it was for a spiritual belief. Art listened in reverent silence while Mercury regaled him with the tradition of his people. Wind chimes were hung in memoriam of loved ones that had passed on, and each brush of wind would permit them to sing with the voices of the departed. It was a beautiful and somber tradition, one that the Aegis found himself strangely moved by. Perhaps it was following in the wake of his own brushes with death, seeing his mother's ghost in her afterlife, the things he'd experienced and bore witness to during the Long Night that made him far more of a believer in the things that existed beyond their earthly realm.

Once Mercury had finished his explanation, Artorias gave a gentle tip of his chin in a subtle nod to show he'd heard and understood. "Thank you for sharing that with me, Mercury," he replied after a moment of quiet thought. "As I said, the Hallows has many trees, and you are welcome to use any of them for your purposes. Most exist in the Wildberry Grove or along the edges of our territory. The plains are mostly flatland without much in the way of trees." Artorias turned his head slightly until his fiery gaze met with the cool tempest of Mercury's once more, sharing a far deeper and more personal gaze with his fellow wolf. "But I'd like to urge you to use our gardens within the castle. The gardens are filled with wisteria trees. In the spring and summer, they burst with vibrant violet blooms unseen anywhere else. In the fall, their leaves turn into a beautiful sea of gold. They will forever be protected by our walls, easy to tend to and add new ones, and you'll be able to hear the chimes every day." Artorias carefully reached a paw across to touch the edge of Mercury's with his own once more. "It would be my honor to bring your tradition to our home."

One big happy family