gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Training thread for Novella! if anyone pops in I'm going to post Novel as often as i can

Strength would return to the queen, her muscles felt right and her fur would return it's sheen. She didn't have need of long periods of sleep, and she'd even caught a rabbit completely on her own. As soon as that task had been done Novel the first knew it was time to fulfill her promise to her young daughter. Novel would worry only slightly about the training, she would be learning as much as Novella was. Before when she had trained Song the lessons had been intense and demanding. She knew no other way. Teaching Novella today would be an odd experience for her.
Alabaster paws would carry her into an area of the mangrove that was less vegetated. The cold of the winter had taken most plants, so teaching her of herbs was more than likely out of the question. Today would be more actions than plant memorization. Like how to clean a would, or set a bone. Her features would tilt back slightly as a howl was loosed from her mouth. She would call her daughter, and anyone who wished to learn, to her.

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-20-2014, 12:42 PM

There was no denying that Novella had been rather excited by the prospect of lessons with Novel, her other lessons had of course been valuable but now she would be taught by her mother. There was a certain bond between mother and daughter, at least there was always that possibility of one and there was no denying that Novella was not only the closest to her mother in appearance but certainly one of the children that kept her closest in heart as well, rivalled perhaps only by the loveable Anthem.

As the call finally sounded for her first lesson to start, Novella would waste no time in running towards the sound and coming to a halt before the other, a happy smile upon her face as she slowed, stepping forwards to nuzzle her mother in greeting. A little selfishly she would long for a private lesson though she knew it was right that others too should be able to have the opportunity to learn from Novel.

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-20-2014, 01:23 PM

Novel was quick to find herself at her mother's side, she had obviously ran to get there. Though fatigue would not show on the young she wolf, an excited smile would play plainly on her face. Novel would find herself nuzzling her daughter back easily, her own features boasting an excited smile. "Hello, Novella!" she would laugh, finding in humor in how eager she was for her lessons. "It's good to see how ready you are." Tail would wag with pleasure as she separated herself from the girl. "Tell me how much you know, first. We can go from there." Novel wasn't quite sure how much she knew now, but she wouldn't want to make her go over anything she already knew.

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-20-2014, 01:32 PM

Despite the fact that no one else was present, it seemed that Novel would perhaps begin the lesson anyway, or at least enquire as to what Novella already knew. That was a relatively easy question to answer, the modest girl certainly didn't think much of her acquired skills and would have simply allowed her mother to take the lesson as she pleased regardless of what details had already been taught to her.

Healing first, and that was rather minimal knowledge, she would begin to run through her various experiences now. "I once helped Symphony with healing someone's wounds after a fight, but I didn't really know what I was doing." That didn't count but it'd been and experience, she vaguely remembered something being given for the pain and some paste that had been placed on the wounds though what herbs had been used she had no idea then or now. "Mostly Song taught us about the different uses of the mangroves and I've picked up a few basic bits from listening at the healing meeting, not a lot though."

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-20-2014, 02:00 PM

Novel had no qualms with starting the lesson as soon as her daughter had arrived. She was in no mind to wait while any other's brought themselves forward. Not that she would expect them there. Everyone was still recovering, and absence to this small lesson would be forgiven and forgotten. Healing was not Novel's strongest suit, but she knew the basics well enough to teach her daughters with ease. At her request Novella would offer her all the information she'd been shared. "I once helped Symphony with healing someone's wounds after a fight, but I didn't really know what I was doing." Wound healing, yes, one of the most helpful of tasks. They would do well to go over what little she had seen. "Mostly Song taught us about the different uses of the mangroves and I've picked up a few basic bits from listening at the healing meeting, not a lot though." She would nod, accepting what she knew and becoming ready to expand upon that.
"First, we can go over dressing battle wounds." another nod would be given, "When you come in contact with an open wound you want to make sure the bleeding is controlled. If they are loosing blood everywhere they can easily loose consciousness or die." Such an important topic! There was so much to know, and so much that could potentially go wrong. "After the bleeding has stopped you'll need to clean the wounds. A stream or a lake is best, but your tongue will also do just fine." Cleaning the wound was almost as important as stopping the bleeding. "You may have to clean it more than once. If you can get something to cover the wound you may not have to clean it as often, but it's important nothing gets in the flesh. Infection can easily set in if the wound isn't cleaned." There would be more to address, dressing the wound, and plants she could use to help prevent infection. For now though, these small basics would be immensely helpful.

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Novella had certainly put her parents upon a pedestal, her entire family in fact had found themselves making her proud in some way, she adored them all deeply and it'd probably take something very serious to change that and for them to lose her respect. For now though, despite whatever mistakes Novel may have made in the past, Novella was of course eager to learn anything her mother could teach her. It didn't matter to the young Destruction whether Novel was the best at healing or not, she was learning now and spending time with her mother, it was a win-win situation.

She would nod her head along as she listened to her mother's explanations. The cleaning the wound she did remember but she wouldn't interrupt or reveal that fact to her mother now. "How do you control the bleeding?" Novella would frown slightly. Any cuts she'd received over the years had been minor injuries, healing up perfectly fine with little attention and certainly no worries that they'd just keep bleeding until she died.

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Though her relationship with a couple of her children was rocky at best she loved them all the same. She hoped she could patch up her relations with them, but she knew that with her actions punishment was due. And if they hated her for the rest of her life she would come to terms with such treatment. Here and now though she could hope, with Novella's eager attitude and loving presence that their family might reunite as one.
Novella was quite engrossed with her words, taking them all in and making it obvious that she would understand most of her words. However she would question one thing, "How do you control the bleeding?" Novel would nod, there wasn't much to it. "Pressure mostly. A firm paw against the site, possibly with a bit of cotton between you and the patient." Internal bleeding was a whole nother matter that they would get to later, when they could address more plants. "Now depending on the wound you may or may not even have to work very long. If it's a small scarpe its likely the blood will stop almost instantly. If it's a deeper or large wound you'll have to keep pressed to it longer and sometimes harder." Experience would help her, but she was not about to open herself up voluntarily.

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-20-2014, 03:07 PM

Novella certainly had a similar wish to her mother. She hated the family being so divided, of course she never could understand the hurt and betrayal that her elder siblings had felt, or at least most of them anyway even so seeing how loving her parents were now surely they could be given a second chance to share that love with them as well? It was certainly how she wished things to be, all of them a big happy family once more.

She would nod her head again as her mother explained how to stop the bleeding. It really was rather simple it seemed, at least as her mother spoke now, she wasn't sure how well she'd cope in practice but for now she understood. There currently wasn't another question and so she'd remain silent and allow her mother to continue.

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-20-2014, 03:15 PM

It seemed Novella would take the informations easily, her nodding acceptance easy to see as her silence would beg her to continue. With no questions Novel would also nod, knowing her daughter in theory, could stop a wound from bleeding. "Now, you don't want a wound to sit open. I wont be able to show you any of the plants you can use but i will tell you what they are and what they look like. Once Spring returns we will have a lesson on plants." She was sure that her granddaughter Novel had stores of the plants she would talk about somewhere within reach, but she was not ready to overwhelm her daughter yet. "Horsetail is a plant that helps to bind a wound together, so the healing process can help to take over. You can find this spindly plaint near sandy-watery areas." She would really have to show her what these looked like soon, "If the wound is rather small you can use a lambs ear leaf to help close off the wound. The marshmallow plant may be applied to help a wound heal quicker." She would continue, wondering if it might become too much for Novella.

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-20-2014, 03:24 PM

It probably would be easier to see the herbs properly for herself though it was perfectly understandable that the elder Novel had no herbs stored, she hadn't long arrived before being given other things to worry about and then falling ill. She tried to take in the knowledge but picturing the plants still wasn't quite so easy as the basic paw on wound and pressure idea and she found herself longing for the Spring so she would be able to see them. She wouldn't let her confusion show however and would instead give another slight nod of her head, acknowledging that she was listening if nothing else.

"I saw Symphony make a paste with some herb before, do you do it with all of them for wounds?" She couldn't imagine how the plants would help bind the wound any other way, simply placing it upon a cut surely wouldn't help, she educated enough to know that fact at least, though some plants had been eaten by Jupiter during that unexpected lesson and Novella couldn't help but wonder if some plants worked from the outside and some from the inside.

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Novella would show no sign of confusion, and would take her information in stride. Once spring's life returned they would continue, but for now verbally learning would do her well. As she ahd mentions the three plants that had been talked about were to be applied to the wound, as Novella would comment she would be right. "I saw Symphony make a paste with some herb before, do you do it with all of them for wounds?" She would nod, "Yes, the three I've mentioned so far should go on the wound. You shouldn't chew the lambs ear though, that should just adhere to the small wound." As Novella would think correctly, not all herbs would be used topically. "If you add periwinkle and trillium to the paste that goes onto a wound it will help clean it and prevent an infection." Infection could be even more deadly than the original wound itself. "Many patients will experience pain as well. You'll want to give them wintergreen, for severe injuries. However if the pain is too much, a couple of poppy seeds will completely relieve them of any hurt." She would look more seriously to Novella then, "However, be careful of the dosage. It's also very addictive."

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-20-2014, 03:49 PM

It was a lot of information to take in and it seemed with every seemingly small question another load of facts would be fired her way. She tried her hardest to listen and absorb the information though truthfully Novella herself couldn't help but wonder just how much of it would actually stick. Actual practice and seeing the herbs would probably help her out a little more but for now as she tried to repeat the words in her mind she already was doubting herself.

She was tempted to ask more about the lambs ear and certainly even more intrigued about the painkillers that her mother had described but many facts were simply wondering what these things actually looked like. She would learn come Spring she supposed, but for now perhaps it was best not to get too confused. She certainly didn't want to abruptly end the lesson though she wasn't sure how much more information she could retain. She would remain silent instead, wait and see what else her mother had to say.

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Her daughter would remain silent as she went on, most of her knowledge of healing an open wound would be expelled. Obviously she didn't want to overwhelm the girl, so review time would come next. "If you don't have any more questions, love, it's time to review what you've learned." She would tilt her head slightly, ready to answer any questions. Were there none the woman would continue. "I'm going to test what you've learned. I'll ask you questions about the lesson, and then you answer them as best you can." She had learned the best way for Song to remember had been a quick lesson, questions, and then review. When her daughter had to think back to what she'd just learned it would only solidify the information in her head. It was also easier finding out what you'll forget early on, rather than when you most needed the information. "Novella, what should you do first if you find your patient is bleeding from a medium sized cut?"

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-21-2014, 04:25 PM

She hadn't had a review of her lessons before, it was perhaps a little harder to do easily with a large group the experience was certainly new for her and to be honest she wasn't entirely certain what to expect. Another little nod of her head would be given to signal that she was listening and whilst she'd never been tested before it did put a little worry into her head.

What did you define as a medium cut? How much did it bleed? Well it wasn't a scrape so perhaps a fair amount. "Would you put the pressure on it to stop the bleeding?" On second thoughts actually she had another idea. "Or should it be cleaned first actually?" Her replies were a little uncertain but hopefully wouldn't be too wrong.

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-21-2014, 04:39 PM

She could tell that Novella was slightly nervous, it was likely she'd never been tested like this before. Yes when she had learned to hunt she had to test her skill by showing what she could do. This was healing though, unless you had a real patient in front of you, it was unlikely you could show anyone how much you knew. It seemed though, that her daughter would accept the quiz. She would nod and Novel would continue.
Novella would listen, and answer with only a moments hesitation, "Would you put the pressure on it to stop the bleeding?" She didn't sound so sure of herself, "Or should it be cleaned first actually?" She wasn't too far off. Novel herself had struggled with weather to clean the wound or stop the bleeding first. "Make sure they aren't bleeding first. Sometimes when you clean it, the bleeding will start again, but just do the same thing. The second go around should be as bad as the first though." She would smile, sometimes the quizzes would also bring up more talking points. "Alright, so say you've stopped the bleeding on that same cut, what would you do next?"

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-23-2014, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2014, 08:04 AM by Novella.)

Whilst you could argue that her hunting skills had been tested, she had begun to learn to hunt from a young age unlike healing. Both were certainly useful skills though unless you or those around you were disastrously accident prone then healing wasn't a skill you were likely to use anywhere near as often as hunting. Novella was now starting to feel though that perhaps she should have begun to learn these things at a slightly younger age, there was quite a lot to take in and she had barely begun her lessons at all.

She would give a nod of her head at her mother's answer, once more quietly attempting to absorb the information she had been given. Another question would soon follow though this time a small smile would cross Novella's muzzle as she responded with a cheeky confidence. "Clean it." It was the order that Novel had just given her after all.

"After that though, apply the herbs." She was a little more serious again now, knowing full well what her mother had meant really. There was a slight pause however as she tried to recall the name of the plant, Novel hadn't listed too many but still Novella wished to use the right name and right effect for them. "Horsetail, apply it to the wound to bind it. Periwinkle and Trillium to help stop it getting infected." The slightly uncertain tone had returned now she was trying to go into more detail.

Novel i

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
-
player
Vail
06-23-2014, 10:04 AM

She probably should have showed her children the basics of healing a long time ago, back before they'd even left Ahlon. What had she been doing during that crucial time to not give her children these simple lessons in healing? All would be well though, it meant all the more time spent with them now. Novella would smile at her next question, a simple "clean it." would have sufficed, but she would go on to the next step. "After that though, apply the herbs." Novel would nod, she would retain the information and she couldn't be more proud of her. "Horsetail, apply it to the wound to bind it. Periwinkle and Trillium to help stop it getting infected." Novel would nod again, she had it exactly right. "That's perfect Novella!" She would nuzzle her daughter happily. "You've finished your lesson in healing, and now you're prepared if you ever face a cut." She would continue smiling proudly. "Shall we meet again tomorrow for another lesson?"

"Speech"

Novella

Loner
Author

gems
size
Medium
build
player
06-23-2014, 11:17 AM

There apparently was no reason for her lack of confidence her mother clearly pleased with her answers and stepping forth to nuzzle her as she complimented her. Happy though humble, only a small smile would shyly cross the girl's features. "I had a good teacher." She responded simply, certainly she wouldn't have known the answers without Novel's help after all. At the suggestion of another lesson, the young Destruction girl would nod her head rather eagerly in response. "Yes please"