Ara

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
05-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Ara realized her voice had been slightly shaky, and hoped Novel didn't notice. She returned the compliment, earning a faint smile amidst all the fear and sadness that threatened to bubble up from within. How was it that she could feel unnervingly at ease and so completely terrified all at once? It was a strange mixture of emotions, only exacerbated by the way Novel didn't seem capable of taking a full breath.

Novel seem comforted by the memories, and truthfully so was she. They hadn't lived an easy life, but they'd certainly lived a beautiful one, and after all the years they'd spent apart their happiness had only continued - and Ara was truly grateful for that. She nodded to her mate's words, aware that talking was difficult for her, and not wanting to stress her. Their moments together were growing shorter and shorter, and Ara knew deep in her bones just how little time they had left.

Her own breathing felt labored, perhaps more from grief than anything else, though she continued to smile for her. "I think you could have. You're stronger than you realize," Ara corrected her with a gentle, sad laugh, holding Novel just a bit tighter against her. She truly believed Novel could've flourished on her own, perhaps just with a bit more time... but she felt blessed for being able to stand beside her through so many of their trials. "I love you too. Until my last breath," though she knew her love would find a way of outliving them both, through their sons and their grandsons, and hopefully far beyond them.