Loner

gems
size
Large
build
Light
player

01-10-2021, 12:08 AM
Question me? All of your doubt feeds my desire.

A pale-glow poured in through a partially cracked window. Whoever had left it open certainly did not expect it to remain that way. Nature battled its way in through the opening, withered vines clung to the cracked wooden surface with determination. Beneath the window-sill nature had poured in and caused the floor to pale and rot. A row of dusty shelves lay on the floor, some partially knocked over like a stack of dominos. Some books remained crushed underneath the shelves and others lay in piles beneath them as though deliberately placed.

Nox picked through the pile of disintegrating texts until she found one book kept intact. She carefully slid it from the pile and onto the floor. Unlike the other books, it was entirely bound in reddish leather which made it appear older than the others. On the inside, the pages looked roughly cut and fragile, as though simply flipping through them may cause them to crumble. Another difference between that book and the others was two metal-clasps, which she assumed used to hold some straps or binds that appeared to be missing. She tapped the metal-pieces with a claw and gently slid her paw down its spine.

With mild effort, she then flipped the tome over. In faded golden letters surrounded by a dimpled border read: An Adventurers Guide to Well… Adventuring. Nox snorted and gave the cover a loving pat. It seemed the author had a sense of humor. She tenderly flipped the cover open to the first page. Despite the initial assumption that the pages were frail, they appeared intact and quite thick. There was clear damage around the corners, likely due to some pest with a hunger for knowledge. However, it was to be expected of a book so old. Cautious not to scuff the leather, she slid it across the ground onto a dank rug nestled in a corner that was shielded by a wooden shelf. Buzzing with anticipation she flipped past the colophon and onto the prologue.

To my dearest Amara… who left after I refused to give up my lust for adventure.

Throughout this book, I reference my own adventures and share the knowledge I have acquired on my journeys. The contents of this text are for those with a wild and restless heart. Those with the insatiable hunger for discovery quite like mine. Or perhaps those looking for a window into another world without even having to leave their beds. Whatever the case, welcome and know… Adventure is out there, you must only have the courage to seek it.

C.F.

It was strange to view the writing of a creature not-only of a different species but of a time far before her own. Her eyes darted across the page, anticipation building as she turned to the first chapter. About that time, she heard groans of protest as something heavy moved across the floor. Nox’s ears twitched but she did not look up from her book. She would not have been surprised if the fortress was haunted, or the more likely answer, occupied by other creatures. Unfortunately, that mystery had no time to build suspense before the entity spoke.

The words were clear enough that she surmised whoever or whatever, was on the other side of the shelf. Their tone suggested they were agitated and despite this, she felt inclined to respond. “Bold claim, an admirable spark of ambition, but actions speak louder than words, dear.” She remarked continuing to skim through the book. Nox wondered if there were multiple guests or just one having a one-sided conversation with himself. Nox couldn't judge if it were the latter, she was missing a few marbles herself. Either way, she was open to sharing the space or making a swift exit with her prize if need-be.

I'm gonna make my own empire.

Thanks to Bird for the table help!
Lupa is Nox's bodyguard and second-in-command. While she clearly does her own thing, he's usually not far behind unless instructed otherwise.

[Image: g1hkYWI.png]

Laying down my past I scream.

This is not the end of me.

Time to bury it or me.

I can't take back who I've been but this is where I'll start again.