An icon representing the specialty Anatomist Anatomist

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

LegendarySamhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1By the skin of my teethOverachiever
Festival OrganizerMammoth HunterIce Bridge ExplorerWinnerPride - AsexualBeevent
Double MasterVolcanoExplorer1KChristmas 2019Trick 2019
Promptober 2019
05-08-2021, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2021, 12:30 PM by Álarr. Edited 1 time in total.)

Álarr listened as one by one everyone offered their ideas. He nodded to Sparrow. "Yes, I was trying to think of difficult terrain nearby but the closest would be the plateau. Unless perhaps we could keep them going long enough." There were a number of crevices and caverns in the Barren Hills but it was such a dangerous place he didn't think going there would be a good idea. Nor the pitfall. "Perhaps the Whisperer's Gorge? I think we might be able to keep them running long enough to get there." While there were caves and caverns among it there were plenty of long sections that dropped right down to where an ancient river had flowed through and carved the gorge.

He considered Ash's idea but he wasn't quite sure what would work best. The suggestion of poison was an interesting one but it would be tricky to dose the large creatures in enough of a way to have an effect on them but not the wolves themselves when it came to eating. Being so unfamiliar with these creatures he didn't know of a good poison to suggest.

Disembowling the creatures wouldn't be as simple as it would be for a bison. They were so hairy and would likely need to be climbed in some fashion to even get to the underbelly if it wasn't brought down first. Cloud suggested a trip line or a net while Ares mentioned digging holes. Álarr pondered the options.

"My concern is still with their size. I don't know that a net will do much and a trip line could easily snap. A hole might work better. It would have to be the size of the entire mammoth just enough to snag a leg. However, even then that will be a substantial amount of digging so let's use what nature has given us. I say we try and drive them to the Whisperer's Gorge with enough momentum to drive one of the animals into it. If there are weapons anyone wants to suggest then let's utilize them, spears or whatever else. We just need to get them going and then keep them going. Any that feel comfortable, climbing and doing more severe damage are welcome to if they are 2 years or older." He squinted pointedly at Dagrún then proceeded to speak over her protests. "Ares, you sir," he looked at Hyacinth. "Would you be comfortable heading the gorge ahead of time and laying in wait to start delivering damage the moment one falls in? We'll be aiming for the wider north pocket right before the fork. Everyone else will work on driving the mammoths toward you. If one appears sickly we'll try and break it off from the herd and do as much damage as possible. If it dies before it reaches the gorge it dies but there's no need to take extreme risks if we can get mother nature to do the most work for us. Sound good?"