size
Large
build
Medium
player
Mateo
05-11-2021, 11:39 AM

'We choose our own path, knowing full well what we're doing...'

I felt my jaw clench together tight enough to create a dull ache. His words ran through my mind on repeat, forming a destructive path leading to a feeling of isolationism and guilt. My eyes gazed up at the sky, taking in the elusive glow of the stars, each one fading in and out in a rhythmic sort of pattern as their light strained to reach out tiny little planet from light-years away. I envied them.

'What? You gonna shutdown like this every time we train?'

That's the last thing he said to me on my assessment day. I fought the warm tears brimming along the underside of my eyes. A suffocating ball lodged itself in my chest and forced me to take calculated breaths in and out to keep myself from spilling over the edge. His voice wasn't his anymore. And it made me sick to my stomach. Karma knew what both our guardians had become... allowing that woman to orchestrate his final ceremony - Who in the FUCK did she think she was! Orbs shut tight as I finally felt the tears spill over and down the side of my face, dripping along the rim of my ears and then onto the grass.

"Im not a god, Father."
My voice cracked even at a whisper. I remembered the first time I told him that. Snorting, I felt a faint grin appear on the side of my muzzle. He had lost it at my seeming to be disrespectful comparison. I suppose I should be thankful for my fur growing back along my body, lest someone see the scars that lay hidden underneath. Times like this I wish I had someone else to talk to about this. Anyone other than the void in my own mind and the growing demon skulking around the back of my mind. My breath shuddered in my chest as I gulped in a big inhale, and gradually let it out, allowing my eyes to open once again to the dark skies.

I didn't have a clue what point of the night it was. I arrived on these plains around sunset and that felt like eons ago. I felt like I could faintly see where the sun would be rising within the hour out on the horizon but even that could be a trick of the mind. It was in the wee hours of the morning and I knew that I was on pack lands. This had to be the Hallows that Eska was talking about. It had been long enough of me venturing out on my own, trying to pick up bits and pieces of information from loners and passersby about what I really needed to know. I needed to be serious about this if I was going to make it back home in time... If he was even still around. Which is what led me here. I needed to find an expert who knew about the body. Maybe then I could pair that information with what I knew about biological alchemy and finally be able to - who was I kidding. I needed a witch doctor at this point.

The sky had shifted from deep night to having the absolute faintest of light blanketing over its surface. I could hear birds beginning to chirp in the trees off to the distance and the occasional squirrel could be heard shuffling around in the grass a ways off. I closed my eyes as I laid on my back, stretching my paws up into the air and then rolling over onto my belly, laying my head down onto my paws. The grass and moonless nighttime atmosphere obscured me from sticking out like a sore thumb. The illumination was only coming from the stars and eventually the rising sun. Game plan for today? I needed to speak with someone in The Hallows.

"Speech"