ardent

my momma done told me

Ocena

gems
size
build
player
08-04-2013, 09:28 PM

The smile that Ocena adored so had faded from her daughter's face and Ocena felt a protective worry stirring in her thoughts, ears pricking attentively in her daughter's direction as she waited for Orica to speak. She wouldn't push it just yet. Whatever had drawn Orica to summon her mother was clearly important, and Ocena was content to wait until the words spilled from her daughter's lips. She had learned long ago that things came with time, and that there was no point in rushing them. It was something that a wolf learned when living with and loving Gargoyle, the ever patient wolf that Ocena had given her heart to.

When the question finally came, Ocena tilted her head slightly, considering her answer thoughtfully. She wished to tell her daughter the truth; lying to the youngster felt wrong, somehow. But it was difficult to fix her thoughts into words that would make sense to her daughter. "I think that everything changes in time." Ocena spoke carefully, "From wolves to flowers, and everything in between." But that was the easy part. As for the rest, well...

"I have always believed that within all good, there is a kernel of bad. And within all bad, there is a kernel of good. That's how the world works." Why did her daughter ask such things? It made Ocena worry, though she would wait until she had finished to question her. "So yes, I do think that a bad wolf can, if they choose, become good. And that things can happen the other way around. I don't think that it happens overnight. I think that it requires a lot of work for a wolf to rewrite themselves. But I think it is possible. Your father is an example of that, you know. He has been many things, and even now he fights with himself, at times." Was it fair to tell her daughter that? Perhaps, and perhaps not. But Ocena believed that it would help Orica with whatever moral dilemma was going on behind those pretty eyes, "As for how you know when it has happened, for that, I think you just have to trust yourself to know." Perhaps not the best advice that a mother could give her daughter, but Ocena had never claimed to be perfect, and indeed knew that she fell far short of perfection.

But now, Ocena turned her gaze upon her daughter, focusing sharply on the youngster before her. "And why, my dear, do you ask?" What's going on with you? Who has made you question such things? She wanted to ask, but she didn't. Instead, Ocena contented herself with a simple, innocent inquiry. Had her daughter learned some dark secret of their father, one that made her doubt him? Surely not. How could anyone doubt the goodness of the wolf that she loved so dearly? So it had to be something, or someone else.

Speech