size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
09-30-2022, 03:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2022, 04:27 AM by Artorias. Edited 1 time in total.)

Artorias simply tipped his muzzle to the wolf at his side and replied, "A wolf I know in passing, but a wolf all the same. It costs nothing to do the right thing." The azure-coated Carpathian man was far from perfect. He was not infallible, yet despite his faults and flaws, he was unwavering in his beliefs and creeds. He had always strived to be a force for good and justice in the world. There were no conditions to that. The short walk was done in relative silence, Mercury leading the way to one of the abandoned surplus dens that had once belonged to Menagerie. A quick sniff of his own confirmed what Mercury had concluded, then he followed the dusky male inside. The den wasn't very large and he and Merc were pressed close in the confined space, but it would suit them fine for the evening, and even still had the bedding that had been laid about for guests Menagerie had once been expecting.

Artorias took the corner opposite of Mercury, granting his companion as much personal space as the den could comfortably allow, though it was not much and each wolf was still within reaching distance. The softness of the fur bedding felt like heaven for his weary paws after their long trek, and Art settled in with a grateful sigh. He was going to sleep so well tonight! Artorias asked his question, and Mercury answered while they relaxed in the gradually darkening den as daylight faded and the moon replaced the sun. Mercury explained how he had been raised as a diplomat and trader by his family up until their passing. Black ears flicked back to his head, saying nothing while he paid close attention to Merc's story. He listened to the emotion in the other male's voice when he spoke of Wren and how he had become her protector—and how he couldn't save her. He finished his soliloquy by claiming he has nothing to no one. Once he stopped speaking, Artorias would give the dismal wolf his response.

A large blue paw reached across the space, seeking to grab Mercury's closest paw to him in a gentle yet insistent grasp. He wanted Mercury to look back up at him while fire-forged amber eyes sought his with a resolute comfort. "You are not nothing," he said in low tones that rumbled with the edge of a defiant growl. "We don't know each other well, but in the time I've spent with you, you've shown me pieces of your character, Merc. You sought out friends and allies in a foreign land. You picked up combat in the name of defending what you cared for because you believed in it. And when everything turned to shit, you didn't get swept away, you ran yourself ragged trying to help your comrades and find the woman you love. In just these moments, you've shown loyalty, innovation, adaptability, dedication, passion, and resilience. These are all noble traits that others are lucky to possess maybe one or two of. That is what you are."

Artorias reclined back a bit then, letting his paw slip from Mercury's if the man hadn't stopped him before. His expression softened a bit more, but his eyes continued to burn with that conviction he refused to let go of. "You've been many things for others in your life. Now you get to decide for yourself who you want to be. Are you the trader, the diplomat, the warrior, the leader, a blend of all four? It's a decision that will take time, but when you know, you'll know. You get to decide who Mercury Ermis is." Artorias breathed a sigh and gave Mercury a few moments to digest his words before he let his own guard down to show the dark-furred male who the Aegis of the Hallows was. "I've failed wolves I cared about too. I told you before that my mother had given me my sword before she died. What I didn't tell you is that she died because of me." A pain softened Artorias' blazing gaze some, the alpha turning his eyes downward while he slipped into memory. "A pack of massive dire wolves attacked the Hallows. My mother was killed defending our home. The only reason those wolves attacked us is because they had come to get revenge on me for blinding one of their own in a fight. No matter how hard I fought, I wasn't able to save her either. I watched her die right before my eyes. I’ve had to live with knowing that she was killed because of a consequence of my actions, and it’s something I’ve had to accept as part of my past and come to terms with so it doesn’t destroy me."

Artorias thought to himself for a minute, pondering the predicament Mercury was in. What the wolf really needed was time and shelter to make sure he recovered at his own pace while making sure he was caring for himself. Too easy would it have been for a loner to simply end their lives when dejected or hurting. He refused to let that happen to a noble soul like Mercury. "Come back to the Hallows with me. Stay with us while you recuperate from this ordeal. We aren't just a place for physical healing, but mental, emotional, and spiritual as well. You don't need to commit to joining, just stay at least until you get back on your paws and figure out who you want to be. But I would be ecstatic to welcome you in if you chose to stay with us." Ultimately, the decision was Mercury's to make. Art didn't want the other man to feel like he was taking advantage of his current misfortunes to sway Mercury into joining the Hallows. If he wanted to be a member of the Hallows, then Artorias was glad to receive him, but more than anything he wanted to help Mercury recover and decide who he wanted to be.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.