size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
10-01-2022, 01:02 AM

All the while he spoke, Mercury remained quiet and contemplative. Artorias had no way of knowing what the other man was thinking or if he was getting through to him, but he sincerely hoped his words were making a difference. Even just a little bit would help. Eventually, Mercury would ask him a question, and a damn good one at that. How did he keep himself sane amidst the guilt he carried for the wolves he failed? Resin, Bowen, Gwynevere, Rudyard, Avantika... He'd failed to protect them all at one point or another. Artorias shifted his head on his paws, glancing at the wall of the den while he considered his companion's question. How did he keep himself sane? "Sometimes I don't," he admitted readily in hushed, husky tones, swallowing thickly past the emotion such thoughts brought up. He looked back to Merc then. "But then I remind myself that one failure does not define me nor discredit or undo all the good that I've tried to do as well. I remember that I am the sum of all my parts, successes and failures, and every time I fall, I can either stay down or get back up and try again. The wolves I lead, the wolves I love... they're worth getting back up for."

Artorias shifted to lie down more comfortably in the slightly cramped den, keeping his gaze on Mercury's all the while as the two wolves bore their hearts and souls to find kindred spirits in one another in the quiet night. "A failure is only a failure if you learn nothing from it, Merc. My mother used to tell me that failing is a way of learning a lesson, and we can either grow stronger from it or let it break us." Fiery eyes steeled as he reached forward to tap his paw on Mercury's again. "Do not let this break you." After a few moments of quiet consideration, Mercury said the words Artorias had been hoping to hear. A relieved smile spread softly over the alpha's lips as the newly made vagabond agreed to come join the Hallows as a permanent resident. "We have plenty of space and room, my friend," he reassured the much too considerate Ermis man. He listened in silent courtesy to Mercury's thoughts on the matter, but was quick to sharpen his gaze and shake his head. "The only disloyalty you could show to those who are gone is by not honoring them in the way you live after them. Honor them with your actions and your decisions. Keep them in your heart, but remember that the past is a lesson learned, not a chain to tether yourself to."

The Aegis lowered his head back down to the furs, relaxing once again as relief washed over him. Knowing that Mercury would no longer be killing himself trying to track down a wolf he doubted anyone would ever see again brought his troubled mind some peace. He was not able to save all of the members of Menagerie, but he had saved Audra and Mercury. That would be enough for him. "I hope you can find what you need with us, Mercury," Art spoke softly. "The Hallows has been many things to many wolves. I hope it can be the final place you ever need to call home." Gods knew the poor wolf deserved it for all he'd been through...

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.