Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
NachoMumma

Wordy1KRaiderDream WeaverTeacherStudent
Double MasterSamhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipThe Ooze Participant
05-07-2024, 02:40 AM

Corbie was careful with her words but Modesty was tired. Tired and pregnant and grieving. The shrug of her shoulders was nonchalant, to think Gilgamesh had considered leading a siege against Avalon for a better foothold on the mainland, for a fucking orchard. Would she still have been here if she knew? If this woman wanted her side of the story, there was no reason for her not to give it. "Haydee came to our borders seeking training. When none of their fighters found their way to our shores, Gilgamesh decided to bring the training to them, if nothing else he did like to keep his word. Damn that lawful streak." Her voice had a hint of flatness to it, like she was tired of going over and over the events that led to this moment. "Before we even left the island, the message was clear, only match their energy. If it hadn't been expected, we wouldn't have sent the children, for practice and training. It was obvious once we arrived that the rest of the pack had no idea. While Haydee was flirting with my mate, her mother was trying to tear my daughter's throat out for throwing a stone." Modesty stopped to inhale a shaky breath, "As if permanent scarring isn't enough, she also seemingly gets to spend the rest of her days with debilitating headaches and a blown pupil. Yes, we took some chickens, they should have been grateful they had any left, but some seemed tamer and so they were left behind. We never take any more than anyone can spare, or we didn't." And the bitterness in her tone made it clear it was a decision she regretted now.

"We had barely made it home when there was a call at the borders. Tiny slip of a thing followed us home. Emotions were particularly high, I won't deny, but what sort of mother would I be if I'd left it to fend for itself? I figured if they couldn't keep tabs on their children, they'd be better off with us, no?" There was a hint of a sly smirk, but her heart clearly wasn't in it from the almost vacant gleam in her eyes. "If nothing else he learned an important lesson that day, but again, Haydee came charging in. Poor Sakana was still struggling to even make Siduri comfortable, it's no wonder he lashed out, but Gilgamesh couldn't stand by and let one of the least violent wolves in our pack, a healer, lash out like that alone. All they had to do was stay away, but no they couldn't."

Modesty paused to take a deep swig from her bottle. They'd barely even scratched the surface. "Once we'd had a chance to catch our breath Sakana checked the chickens over. Now I think on it, is it really any surprise with the deluge in Auster over summer that perhaps a scrap of moulded food might have been missed? A surface scratch on a scaled foot? Add to that the stress of a move, birds are so finicky at the best of times. They tried, and they tried to save those stupid birds but in the end it was all for naught. So, we did the kindest thing we could. Poor Jael was distraught. She took all the blame on herself. She worked for months on designing a perfect pen, making sure it was predator proof, nearly got eaten by a damn snake. There was an airlock so the birds wouldn't get free. Those bloody birds are the reason I have cows and goats now." Her eyes rolled, and she tried to laugh but it was all just a little too hard.

"There's a distinct difference between bravery and stupidity, and I'm afraid your dear friend from Ethne falls into the latter category. They came for their chickens back, and for blood. We couldn't give them their birds. Siduri ended up with more injuries, and things still hadn't improved much beyond her wound closing from the first, so I took her to the Hallows. Gil wanted to put this all to bed, so he left us at the borders and continued onto Ethne, to offer them an out, ask for Haydee to apologise on behalf of her pack to the fucking child that has had to bare the brunt of their chaotic natures. While I was requesting medical assistance on their behalf, they were murdering Gilgamesh, seven on one. My son saw his father die with his own eyes. She wouldn't call her son a liar, wouldn't trust the word of the others who were there to do more than attempt to cover their asses. Despite the rage that coursed in her veins, despite the desire to rip, and tear and burn the world down... She was in no state to do so, not when it wasn't just her own life that would be put on the line. It felt like so long ago.

"Surely, if he were still alive it would have been him meeting you at the borders today instead of me, no?" They were the ones that had met before. It had been weeks, and any small ember of hope had long since been extinguished. "I hope you understand why we are well past the point of mediation at this time. If there is a snake striking at your children, you cut off its head. She has no control over her followers and promoted the unhinged lunatic that almost killed my child to lead alongside her. If she intended to send a message, it was received loud and clear. I will say, we aren't the ones running to neighbours and friends to fight our battles for us. We do not have allies. We don't expect anyone to come in and offer to clean up our messes, nor will we clean up anyone else's." She allowed herself a moment to breathe, an enquiring look sliding into place to mask the grief. Of all the reasons to pop in and say hello, she wondered what impression the other woman had been given of the goings on between their two packs.

"This is between us and them. What do you lose from their absence that you cannot get from more level minds elsewhere? My mate credited you with a decent head on your shoulders. I'd appreciate you not tainting my memory of him by proving him wrong now." She didn't particularly care to hear the lies that might sputter out in counter to her truth. Her tone made it clear there would be no negotiation, and if that was all the woman sought, she was wasting her time here.

“Speech.”