gems
size
Medium
build
Emaciated
player
Indie

06-15-2024, 09:55 PM

Mariah blinked, taken aback. The news hung heavy in the air between them, turning their peaceful reprieve into a bittersweet farewell. She studied him for a moment, her silver eyes reflecting the poignant realization of his impending departure. A parting of paths she hadn’t anticipated. Perhaps it was for the better. She remained silent, mulling over his words, the weight of them pressing a cold hand against her heart. The prospect of Cerberus not returning to Elysium, of losing his sturdy presence and comforting voice- just when she was beginning to get to know it- stirred within her a sense of loss she hadn’t expected.

“I see,” she finally spoke, her voice barely above a whisper. There was no trace of resentment in her tone, only a quiet acceptance. For a moment, she looked away, allowing herself to process the impact of his decision. Her gaze rested on the shimmering surface of the stream, her thoughts as fluid and elusive as the running water. "I...I understand," Mariah added after a long pause, her voice seeming as vulnerable as a leaf caught in autumn's chilling grasp. "Family is important. I wouldn't want you to abandon them for anything."

Despite her brave words, she couldn’t help the wave of disappointment, that washed over her, cresting and breaking within her chest. But she tucked it away neatly, folding it into the corners of her heart where it might be attended to later. She didn’t want to look at him- didn’t want her face to betray her.

"I hope your path leads you-” She was cut as she felt his touch gently brush against her cheek. Involuntarily, her breath hitched, and her heart pounded in her chest like a frantic drum. The warmth of his touch sent a current of unexpected emotion coursing through her veins, making it impossible to finish her sentence. With a gentle pull, he raised her chin until their eyes met. His mint gaze held hers steadfast, his expression unreadable. The silver pools of her eyes mirrored the soft glow of the moon, a blend of curiosity and vulnerability etched in them.

There was an unsaid question hanging between them, a silent plea for understanding, a bond forged by shared experiences. Her throat tightened as she swallowed the words she desired to say, the words that threatened to spill over in a torrent of emotions.

She blinked, her silver eyes shimmering in the soft moonlight, and dropped her gaze to his chest. She could feel the thud of his heart; a rhythmic pulse that resonated with hers. Was it the sound of longing? Pity? She couldn’t tell. “I’ll miss you.” She finally said softly, her voice barely audible, a whisper in the night that seemed to hang in the silence.

It was a simple statement, stripped of pretense and embellishment. It was also a confession, as raw and vulnerable as the emotions that welled up within her. She missed him already; not just his presence or his companionship but the essence of him — that sense of grounding calm and quiet strength that drew her to him. She simply couldn’t go on without Caedes- but she certainly would regret the absence of Cerberus as well, as selfish of her as it may be.

"Mariah Mendacium"

Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. It's The Place To Be The Starlit Plains 04:10 PM, 06-14-2024 10:43 AM, 06-20-2024