gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Indie
07-04-2024, 10:20 PM

Her breath hitched in her throat as a sudden, bone-chilling dread washed over her. She skidded to a stop, her green eyes wide as she turned to face the new threat. A figure was emerging from the shadows, its ivory fur a ghostly contrast against the darkness. Her heart thundered in her chest as the figure approached, his molten eyes never leaving her face. The world around them stilled for a moment, their gazes locked in silent confrontation. But of course, it wouldn’t remain silent for long.

As his words echoed through the silent night, Sericea's heart tightened in her chest. She swallowed hard, raising her head higher as she met his gaze with a fiery determination that belied her fear. Her voice was soft yet steady amidst the biting wind. "I am not lost," she retorted, her tail bristling out behind her like a banner of defiance. "I am exactly where I need to be." Words were tumbling off her tongue before she could think to speak them. Did they make sense- not exactly. But she had a point to convey- that was she knew exactly where she was, and she wasn’t going let herself feel threatened.

But each word he spoke slid over her like an oily promise - slick and insidious, designed to tempt and deceive. She could taste the treacle in his tone, the sweet assurances that coated the bitter pill of his intent. “Why should I trust you?” Sericea challenged, her green eyes glinting defiantly in the pale moonlight. She stood her ground, her tail still held high as she faced the ghostly figure before her.

Her heart pounded against her ribcage, each beat a question, an echo of his name. Inferos. The same name that was hers. The earlier defiance that she held on to so tightly was replaced with confusion as she tried to make sense of his words. Watched over her? From the shadows? A sort of unease coursed through her, prickling the fur along her spine. But there was no denything the underlying intrigue. “No … I don’t know you … but … my name is Sericea Praetor-Inferos.” She said quietly to herself as she drew the conclusion of how it could be possible that she shared a name with the ghostly brute. “How do you know me and my mother?” She asked lightly, her ears perking in anticipation of the answer.

"Sericea Praetor-Inferos"