Extra large
build
Light
player
Sinchanted

Critical Fail!
09-12-2024, 03:31 AM

Ellara Image

The evening’s cold pressed in on Ellara as she sat beside her ailing owl, her breath forming small clouds in the frigid air. His breathing was steady but weak, and the improvised remedy she’d given him had only bought them some time. She needed more herbs, but the frozen landscape outside offered little hope.

Suddenly, a soft whine came from the entrance of the den. Ellara’s ears perked, momentarily alert. When the familiar scent of Asahi drifted in, her body relaxed. Relief flooded her—she wasn’t alone in this.

“Asahi,” Ellara murmured, her voice both welcoming and weary. She stood and made her way to the entrance of the den, where the cold hit her once again, biting at her fur. “I wasn’t expecting anyone tonight.”

The worry in Asahi's eyes was clear, and Ellara quickly understood why she had come. The sharp scent of sickness lingered in the air, and anyone would have assumed the worst.

Ellara gave her a small nod, her breath coming out in shallow puffs. “It’s not me,” she began, gesturing behind her. “It’s my owl.”

Her eyes softened as she glanced back toward the bird, still lying under his protective cover. “He’s been sick. His breathing’s been rough, and I’ve barely found enough herbs to help. I managed to stretch what little yarrow I could find, mixed it with pine sap... but it’s not enough. I’m not sure he’ll last through the night.”

She looked back at Asahi, her pink eyes filled with both exhaustion and the quiet determination she always tried to maintain. “It’s been hard, trying to find anything in this cold. I’ve searched the woods, but everything is frozen solid.”

Ellara could see it in Asahi's posture: the quiet willingness to offer assistance, even in these dire conditions. She had come here, braving the cold, and Ellara couldn’t ignore the sense of hope it brought.

Ellara stepped back to allow Asahi fully into the den, the warmth inside barely cutting through the chill of winter. The space was small but provided some shelter from the freezing night. “I hate to ask, but... if you have any ideas- anything that could help- I’d be grateful.”

Her gaze remained on Asahi for a moment longer before shifting back to the owl. The rhythmic rise and fall of his breathing was a comfort, but the worry still gnawed at her. The herbs had helped for now, but the sickness had its hold on him, and she feared it wouldn’t let go so easily.

“He’s holding on,” Ellara murmured quietly. “But I’m not sure for how long. If we don’t find more soon...”

Her voice trailed off, frustration flickering in her eyes before she sighed softly. “I’ll do whatever it takes. I can’t lose him, not like this. If you have any suggestions, I’m ready to try anything.”

She met Asahi’s eyes, her plea unspoken but clear. The cold outside was unforgiving, but together, perhaps they could find a way to push back against it.

"Speech" - Thoughts

CODE BY SIN
Ellara has two Barred Owls, Halia and Eos, that can be assumed to be with her at all times.