gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Xarae
10-09-2024, 08:11 PM

"Yes, clinically," Finch repeated mechanically, trying to hold on to facts for dear life. Only facts would carry her through this. Whatever this was. "You may not think it's unusual, as those who have your stature often come from a family line of similarly built wolves. It's a heritable trait. But not a common one." Her words had a strange, halting cadence. It was all Finch could do to stay on her feet, although she swayed slightly when Calliope continued to press her advantage. She was tall.

Calliope had a good foot of height or more on her. If Finch wanted to (did she want to?), she could tuck her head beneath this stranger's chin without having to move a muscle. She would just fit there perfectly. "It's rude not to look at someone when you speak to them." Her eyes flickered to meet those of the pastel stranger's without hesitation. Finch hated the thought of being rude, and this overrode any sense of self-preservation or fear.

A ghost of warm breath skittered across the shell of her ear as Calliope spoke directly to her. They were frighteningly close now. It occurred to Finch that the only others who had shared this breadth of personal space with her was her family. A shiver raced down her spine. This was dizzying. Maddening. Electrifying. Terrifying?

Yes, definitely that last one.

"I'm Finch," she blurted out suddenly, her voice louder than she intended. Calliope was so close, she only had to whisper, but instead she spoke at a louder-than-conversational pitch. "My name, that is. Is Finch. What's yours?" They were still nearly cheek to cheek. As panicked as she was, she couldn't bring herself to back away.