Loner

gems
size
Large
build
-
player
07-27-2014, 09:57 PM

Drashiel stood quietly, a form of chill patience in the frigid morning air. He breathed slowly, deliberately in a form of meditation, his mind running through previous hunts and through the results of his scouting trip. This would be his first time leading a hunt. The youth had no desire to be declared a failure on his first try and the prey would be a challenge. But if there was a time for risk it was now. The wolves of Glaciem needed some excitement in their lives, something to jar them from the bores of a still life.

Drashiel dipped his head in greeting as Talvi approached. She was a faithful wolf to Glaciem if there ever was one. Quiet, but loyal as they came. He couldn't remember her ever missing a training session. "It's good to see you Talvi." The Queen herself was the next to approach and Drashiel felt a little sting of self-consciousness but he hid it well. "Good morning, Milady." She would be here to observe as well as participate and he did not dare disappoint her.

Ahh.. and at last one of Glaciem's hunters, Kuvio. Another sibling to the Overseer and one he new little about. Kuvio "Jigsaw" was as much a puzzle as his nickname would imply. Another quiet wolf and one not easily read. All the same Drashiel would offer a greeting. "Kuvio, it is good to see you well." Last to appear was the Sentinel, Liberty. "And a fair morning to you Lady Sentinel." Drashiel's stance relaxed a little, almost a permission for them to talk amongst themselves for a bit if they so desired. But in truth he would only wait a few minutes longer but alas it seemed these were the only ones that would show. He frowned. Neither Lysis nor Kyarst had appeared and it did make him wonder. Well, the matter would be discussed after the hunt. Time was wasting.

"Thank you everyone for coming. I've scouted our terra these past couple days and about a mile north of here a herd of musk oxen have given birth. I seek to claim one of the young to sustain our fellows and ourselves." He knew it wasn't the standard prey they were used to hunting but all the same Drashiel felt that change would do them good. It would keep the hunters on their toes. Change was a fine antidote to a sluggish mind.

"The herd is about seven strong with three calves. They are massive animals, bold but not with out fear. When the herd is sighted we will stalk as close as we can, when I charge I want all of you to follow me. We are to run straight at them, snarling and snapping like rabid heathens. We need to get the oxen to panic and flee so that young will fall behind." There would be no need to have a separate group sneak up behind the beasts. Doing so could startle the adults back at the first group and injury would be imminent. "Liberty, Ramses and I will continue to give chase to the adults and keep them separated from the young. Athena, Talvi, once the young are separated you two will pick a target and separate it from the other calves. Trip it, snag the haunch do what you must to aid Kuvio? Kuvio the killing blow is yours. End the calf however you see fit." Drashiel glanced about his fellows to see if they understood the plan. "Now we begin."

Turning Drashiel stalked toward the north, his movements graceful in the boldness of his stride. He wound effortlessly through the trees though he still lacked the serpentine movements of his father and probably always would be lacking. Isardis was built like wind, he was built like the mountain. Strong, solid, unbent? but he would yet learn flexibility, he would yet learn to shift with the earth when it moved without cracking under the sudden strain.

Soon they arrived to the northern border of the sparse pines, a field of short, tundra grass stretching out before them and there in the distance lay the herd. Grazing, unaware. There was still no breeze but that would change when the sun rose higher and began to move the air. Drashiel's legs coiled, ears flat against his head as he gestured for the others to do the same. Then he slunk forward, pausing occasionally as a cow started to turn her head in their direction. No? the grass was too short. Well? they did want to get the oxen running. Time to close the distance. Drashiel's legs coiled tight under his body. For a moment time seemed to shudder to a halt. Then the young male sprang with a viscious snarl as he pelted full speed toward the musk oxen. Jaws snapping at the nearest cow as the beasts scattered.

"Speech"

ooc: Second round due August 2 at noon!