gems
size
Medium
build
player
Anais
06-13-2015, 12:06 AM

Walk | Talk | Think

I shouldn't have done this, Callisto thought regretfully as she watched Jakart's expression fall further with another pitiful whine. The news of the plant she had taken was hitting him unexpectedly hard, and she could not fathom why the knowledge of not being burdened with a litter of whiny, demanding, unruly little whelps could be so upsetting. It should have been a relief, a happy thing that the both of them would be free to continue living their lives, but he was making it sound like some great tragedy instead. Maybe she had made a mistake dragging him into this. She had thought when he appeared that it would be easier just because he had always struck her as more of the timid type, someone she could control easier during, but, in her hastiness, she had given it less thought than the decision deserved. I shouldn't have done this. This was stupid.

Her irritation was returning, growing, though it was inwardly directed. She had acted rashly, in the moment, without entirely thinking through what it was she was doing, and with who. She closed her eyes with a soft groan, tempted to rise and leave, to run from this whole disheveled mess that she had created, but he never gave her the chance, pressing for more with further questioning. At least now it sounded as if he was understanding things better, at last acknowledging that it was simply to appease her heat. "Yeah." Calli answered quickly, a little snappishly, as if this should have been common knowledge. And thankfully it was mostly true. Her desire to know if the plant would work was just the other side to that same coin. She nearly laughed when she was asked how she fared now, a blunt, unamused sound. "Yes," she stated simply, while her internal voice was a little more generous. Nicer than my last time.

The healer thought that might be the end of it, or at least hoped so. He looked a little less squeamish now than he had when she had first told him, and she almost thought she saw a smile on his face. Assuming it meant things were okay now, she began to rise, rolling from her back and to her stomach, though it was enough time for more questions to weasel their way into Jak's mind. "Yes," Callisto stated for a third time, "This time. My season." She had thought that was clear enough too. "I'm not having ano-" Realizing what she was saying as she was saying it, she hastily cut herself off before she could finish saying another and ended instead, "an accident." Maybe he had not noticed. But when had her luck ever been that good?

Pretending that she had not given too much away, that they might still be getting back to steadier ground, she pushed herself up from her stomach to sit and, with her keen nose, caught a familiar, irritable scent. She was frowning already as she turned her head to look over her shoulder and saw the damned cat strolling up, the feline's thin tail waving as she stopped beside a tree to sit and regard both Callisto and Jakart with a curious, mirthful expression. "Entertaining company, are we?" she asked, her tone smooth, low, and mildly amused.  From where she sat, Callisto curled her lip and growled. Leave it to the cat to always have an unwanted remark for everything. If only it was not quite so fast; she would have loved to make it reconsider talking out of line again.