Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
player
Arian
02-22-2016, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2016, 07:24 PM by Ren.)

ooc: Hi Tea! I am excited ^^ I'd like to keep the default to the three days. If you have questions the best place to contact me would be pm on Riv.

Vereux was to be tested on his fighting skills before his healing. That he couldn't say he was glad about, but at least he had enough experience to prove his worth. He would try with all of his hearts content. That's what this mark meant, even if he had foresaken his vows, forsaken the gods. He was well aware of that, but his heart was set. Respectfully he waited patiently, prying eyes would be watching him but he would wait to see this opponent of his.

He cleared his throat, body at a fight ready stance. Well his energy at least. He still would remain to see what the other opponent would want. Who would be attacking first and the like. It didn't matter if he won, or lost. It mattered if he could show his appropriate fighting skills. As Valentine had said - Imperium's numbers were getting full. He had to make an exception for himself, for many reasons. His life literally depended on it.

“I speak”

Atreides

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
player
Tealah
02-23-2016, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2016, 07:10 AM by Atreides.)
Atreides stared at the older male with intense interest. Valentine had called him in and explained that he was to fight this Vereux to test his entrance into the pack. Vereux wasn't exactly a common name, and to combine that with the slate-blue common to his bloodline left it a distinct possibility that this was that Vereux, the Armada, the Vereux who had styled himself King of the Armadas before Atreides' own parents had taken back control of the family pack. A faint grin hovered over Atreides' muzzle, a fire in his stance that had largely been absent in him for quite some time. With most of his family dead or missing - even Kyarst and Lysis, the aunt and uncle who'd immediately put his hackles up - he'd been feeling distinctly without purpose in his life. This was a call to action, a wakeup, and he sent a silent 'thank you' to his father. "Hello, Vereux," he hummed as he stepped up towards his opponent, seeking to leave a good ten feet between them. His grin widening, he added, "I'm Atreides Armada." A faint, but distinct emphasis on 'Armada'. "I'll be sparring you today. Since it's your test, why don't you take the first move? Age before beauty, and all that." A faint laugh, and a wink. "Good luck."

Vereux

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
player
Arian
02-23-2016, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2016, 10:31 PM by Vereux.)

Vereux couldn't help but to let his one eye go a bit wide, he knew Art barely. When he was a pup with the litter Roman had. Since the boy had stuck Armada at the end of his name it had confirmed it being so. His sister and Roman had been close, so it was simply from that. Who knew he would have found family here in Imperium. “Vereux Armada, your uncle.” he grinned a little bit. He was slightly happier, but that was because of his comfortably around family. Vereux started and set his defenses.

His ears pinned to the back of his head, lips pulled back to show off his canines. As his eyes narrowed, his only open eye locked onto his opponent. Centering himself for better sight. His knee's bent slightly and his hackles raised. Rolling his shoulders inward, he scrunched up his scruff, spreading his toes into the terrain. His tail leveled with his spine and his abdomen muscles tightened. Vereux would kick off moving a step to his left in an attempt to close the gap quickly, so that his right eye would still be able to pick up movement. Jutting out his right shoulder he aimed to hit Artrei's own right where it connected with his neck. Vereux opened his jaws tilting them to the left as his upper jaw aimed for the portion of Artrei's shoulder just beyond the blade, his bottom one aiming for the blade for some sort of discomfort on the skin. His tail kept level with his spine as he did so. Trying to lean his weight into the other male.

1/2
Vereux V Arteides for spar

ooc: edit approved by.... most of the judges. Added in reason to fight. approved by eve.

“I speak”

Atreides

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
player
Tealah
02-25-2016, 02:53 PM

Atreides just grinned as the male introduced himself as Trei's uncle. Too bad no one had warned this uncle how welcoming Trei had been the last time someone introduced themselves to him as uncle. Still he'd grown up a bit since then - maybe - and was beyond silly grudges - probably. His dim recollections of the male didn't really impress anyway, a vague knowledge of things he shouldn't have been listening to as a pup. An usurper and a failed leader was the impression he got, though no one had explicitly said so. Hadn't he run away after he had pups or something? Atreides just grinned though, and said nothing as the uncle set his defenses.

He set his own defenses as well, his sturdy body dropping easily into the stance he'd been drilled in since he was a pup. It made him think again of Drashiel, as it did every time he settled in to fight, and he hoped that his father was watching him. His rugged legs spread into a wide, even stance, his joints going loose for free movement, then bending slightly to lower his center of gravity. He centered his weight evenly on all four limbs, though he was prepared to shift his weight as needed. He spread his paws wide, wiggling his toes as he tested the surface beneath him, then dug his nails in for traction. He let his naturally high head carriage droop, bringing his neck and skull level with his spine, then brought his usually relaxed tail up to the same level to make a line. He wiggled his shoulders to loosen them, then rolled them forward to bunch up his scruff. His ears he made certain were flattened to his head and, with a wink and a nod to Vereux's blind eye, carefully narrowed his to protect them. Wouldn't do to have his pretty green peepers looking as mangled as Good Old Uncle Vereux's. He raised his hackles and, with one last glance towards Valentine, tucked his chin down to protect his throat. Though he was careful, his defenses were actually instinctive at this point and near instant, so only a moment passed as he settled them in place, and he was ready.

Vereux began, as Trei had invited him to, with a rush towards the younger male. Rather than take the impact, Trei sidestepped to his own left, bringing his shoulder out of range of Vereux's attempted collision. Vereux's teeth still raked along the top of Trei's right shoulder blade, though, leaving moderate lacerations there. As he did he shifted his weight off his right foreleg and sought to hook it around Vereux's right foreleg in the hopes of tripping him in his charge. As he did he dug his remaining three paws-worth of claws into the dirt and attempted to slam the outside of his right shoulder sideways into the center of Vereux's right shoulder as well, where the upper arm met shoulder, hoping to knock Vereux sideways. He arched his neck to point his muzzle towards his right, tilting it sideways so the right side was up, and tried to gain a grip on the top side of Vereux's neck about a quarter of the way down from the skull from which he might be able to control his uncle's movements.

ATREIDES vs VEREUX for SPAR
Round 1/2

Vereux

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
player
Arian
02-28-2016, 03:35 AM

Adrenaline pumped through his veins - and he would certainly hope to the gods that he did well within this fight. Toes still splaying into the terrain, his jaws missed his target hitting Trei's shoulder instead. Snapping his head back he kept his teeth bared, the skin around his eyes scrunching up to prevent more damage. His eyes narrowed protecting the single one he had left from possible puncture. As Trei's right limb came to hook Vereux's own right he raised his right leg, left back leg making a quick motion aiming to swing his hips to the left trying to put them at a nearly right angle in close proximity. Slamming his left front leg into the terrain his toes spread to keep his balance. Shoulder rolled inwards, he lowered his chest slightly feeling Trei's right shoulder dig into his chest leaving moderate bruising. Vereux's hind legs bent to the knee's as he attempted to slam his right paw just below where Trei's right limb bent. Ears pinned to the back of his head protecting them from tearing, his scruff scrunched up and hackles raised prevented Teri from gaining a grip on his movements. However his jaws hit skin and fur just right of its intended target, leaving moderate lacerations to start to bleed.

Vereux's tail leveled just above his spine to distribute his weight on his three limbs and mainly to his hind legs. He opened his jaws again, locking on his opponent as his head tilted right. Aiming to hook his jaws into Trei's back just below the scruff. Upper jaw in the middle, lower jaw aiming for lower towards Trei's shoulder. His abdomen muscles tightened, causing his body to become more ridge and less likely to tip over. His hind legs attempted to push forward from their bent position so that he could put force into his bite. Toes splaying into the terrain for traction.

2/2
Vereux V Arteides for spar

“I speak”

Atreides

Loner

gems
size
Large
build
player
Tealah
03-01-2016, 10:13 PM

His paw slammed back to the earth having grasped nothing but air, his jaws not gaining a good grip so he pulled back. Vereux retaliated by seeking to slam his paw against Atreides' right foreleg, and Atreides allowed the foreleg to bend deeply at the elbow, absorbing a great deal of the force of the blow by moving with the force until Vereux's paw slid off the leg having left barely more than minor bruises. Atreides was quick to slip his defenses back into place, readjusting his weight to be evenly distributed to all four limbs, his joints going loose and bending into a half-crouch to lower his center of gravity. His stance remained wide, his toes sliding apart to increase his grip and flexing to drive his nails into the dirt, tail flagged even with his spine. His white-tinged hackles were raised, his face scrunched up in a silent snarl that wrinkled the skin around his narrowed eyes in protective ridges. His ears pinned back, head dropping back level with his spine, his chin tucking back down, though he kept his head turned towards Vereux.

Planting his forelegs in place Atreides pivoted his hindquarters to his left in an attempt to bring him face-to-face with Vereux once again as Vereux attempted to snap at him. Rather than flinch away Atreides chose to meet the attack head on - he attempted to intercept the bite with one of his own, jaws seeking to close over Vereux's jaws from the half-blind wolf's left side in the center of his muzzle, his upper canines over the muzzle and his lower canines seeking to hook beneath Vereux's jaws in an attempt to gain a solid grip upon it. (counter) His hindquarters coiling beneath him for power he tried to drive forward, trying to slam the whole of the front of his chest into Vereux's, knowing it would hurt him nearly as much as Vereux if it landed but wanting to drive the older man backwards.

For the moment he'd forgotten about Valentine, forgotten the purpose behind the spar in the pure unadulterated joy of being in motion, of doing everything his father, and Daegmar, and Birna had taught him. This was what he'd been raised to do, this was the Armada blood that sizzled through his veins.

ATREIDES vs VEREUX for SPAR
Round 2/2

The Judge

Administrator

gems
size
-
build
-
player
04-01-2016, 08:20 PM

Vereux vs Arteides for SPAR

ROUND ONE

Vereux

CLARITY
- “Vereux opened his jaws tilting them to the left...” If they are right shoulder to right shoulder, then Art would be on Ver's right. So tilting his head towards his left would be AWAY from Art. -2
- “...his bottom one aiming for the blade...” Where on the shoulder blade? Its quite large on a wolf. Near the top, the middle? -2
- “Vereux opened his jaws tilting them to the left as his upper jaw aimed for the portion of Artrei's shoulder...” Which shoulder? -2
Total: 4

POWERPLAY
- None seen
Total: 0

DEFENSES
Eyes narrowed, ears pinned, shoulders rolled, legs bent, hackles raised, tail aligned with spine, toes spread.
Total: 7

ATTACK
+ 1 shoulder slam
+ 2 bite to shoulder, minus points for clarity issues
Total: 3

INJURIES
- First round!
Total: 10

Total for Round One: 34/50

Arteides

CLARITY
- All clear.

POWERPLAY
- None seen.

DEFENSES
Legs spread (wiggles eyebrows), legs bent, weight evenly distributed, nails in ground, head aligned with spine, tail alined with spine, shoulders rolled, ears pinned, eyes narrowed, chin tucked.

ATTACK
+ 1 leg hook
+ 1 shoulder slam
+ 4 bite to neck plus grip attempt
Total: 6

INJURIES
- First round!
(Moderate lacerations to right shoulder)

Total for Round One: 46/50

ROUND TWO

Vereux

CLARITY
- “...left back leg making a quick motion...” What kind of motion? A side step? A jig? Left leg in, left leg out? -2
- “...slam his right paw just below where Trei's right limb bent.” Which right leg? Front or back? -2
- “However his jaws hit skin and fur just right of its intended target,...” Who's jaws? What target? -2
- “As Trei's right limb came to hook Vereux's own right he raised his right leg...” “Slamming his left front leg into the terrain his toes spread to keep his balance..” Did you mean his right leg? Did he raise his left leg? I don't see any mention of his right leg being placed back on the ground. Plus if it is his right leg, you have to attempt it. You cannot raise a leg and then slam it back on the ground without attempting it, because you need to give your opponent time to react. -2
Total: 2

POWERPLAY
- None seen.

DEFENSES
Toes spread, lips snarling, eyes narrowed, shoulders rolled, legs bent, ears pinned, hackles raised, tail aligned with spine, weight evenly distributed, abdomen tightened (P.S I don't normally counted this, but you explained it and made it work for his position. You're one of the first I think... -claps-)

ATTACK
+ 1 paw slam
+ 3 bite to scruff
Total: 4

INJURIES
- 2 moderate bruise to chest
- 2 moderate lacerations
Total: 6

Total for Round Two: 32/50

Arteides

CLARITY
- All clear.
Total: 0

POWERPLAY
- None seen.

DEFENSES
Weight even, legs bent, toes spread, nails in ground, tail aligned with spine, hackles raised, lips snarling, eyes narrowed, ears pinned, chin tucked.

ATTACK
+ 4 bite to jaws plus grip attempt
+ 1 chest slam
Total: 5

INJURIES
- 1 minor bruise
Total: 9

Total for Round Two: 44/50

Totals:

VEREUX
34/50 +32/50 = 66/100

ATREIDES
46/50 + 44/50 = 90/100

And the winner is...

ATREIDES
VEREUX must give up by submitting, fleeing or passing out.

Damage:

VEREUX
All minor enough to be healed at this point.

ATREIDES
All minor enough to be healed at this point.

Notes:

Tips for writing and some suggestions. (no points are deducted here):

Riv
Make sure to list all 10 defenses! You did better in the second round with them. Also once again just have to be more specific, watch that you are also being clear about where you're attacking, and left and rights too. It's okay, I mix them up all the time. Also try to list more attacks! Your attack scores are low, so try to toss in more without doing TOO much. Helpful, right?

Tea
Not much to say! You would have gotten more points for more attacks, try to work in more.

- By [Evelyn]

Valentine

Loner

gems
size
Extra large
build
Light
player
Lazuli

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3WinnerDouble MasterLegendaryFamous
1KVolcanoDream WeaverTrick 2019
04-03-2016, 05:27 PM

With hawk-like intensity Valentine watched the fighters trade and receive blows. His gaze was assessing and roved with equal weight between Atreides and Vereux. He'd never seen Atreides at work and while he didn't doubt the capability instilled in the young man by his father and later, his teacher Dagmaer, Valentine was pleased to finally see him in action.

It ended with Atreides the victor.

"Good fight, guys." His expression contemplative, Valentine lapsed into silence for a moment as he considered the observations he'd made. His decision wasn't going to be based on the outcome of the fight, although if he had the decision would have been easy. The King frowned thoughtfully. Overall he wasn't blown away with this man. Neither his "interview" nor his performance had been stellar and the former was memorable for the wrong reasons. Originally the man had said he was "cast towards fighting and hunting" before saying he sought a healer rank, and that made Valentine wonder. He was only a decent fighter and if that was what he was cut out to be did his mere interest in healing somehow elevate his skill in it?

Having made up his mind, Valentine nodded to himself before turning his attention to Atreides. "Thank you, Atreides. Your assistance was invaluable." His gaze then flicked to Vereux. "Vereux, I'm not convinced Imperium is the right pack for you. Imperium's militaristic nature will inevitably bring it into conflict with other packs and I'm not convinced that you have what it takes to defend your packmates should the need arise." For a moment he withheld casting a firm verdict. If Vereux wished to defend his decision to join and offer a counter to Valentine's assessment, the King was willing to listen.

"Talk" "You" Think

NOTE: Valentine has a female striped skunk companion named Lefty. Unless stated otherwise assume she's present.

Vereux

Somnium
Angel

gems
size
Large
build
player
Arian
04-03-2016, 05:51 PM

Of course his nephew won, that's what he expected of his much stronger sister and brother. Drash and Roman had always been better leaders than he and he knew that was a fact. After it though, Valentine faced him with the fact he did not believe he'd be a fit for Imperium. Alarm struck him, the man was desperate enough as it was. If he didn't get accepted - he would die. Either way it was inevitable but it prolonged his life here. He also would be where he wished to be, and that was a rarity in his life. Valentine didn't need a pity story, but even as he was injured he would stand respectfully and his single eye would lock on Valentine.

“I see what you mean Valentine, but I'm convinced I can be an asset if you let me hone my skills. Imperium is full of the greatest fighters alacritis has ever seen, and my bloodline falls down from these fighters and even healers. Artreides is my nephew and living proof of this. I've never had a good teacher, but I learn fairly quickly. I'd go off on my last limb to do what I can here, to be a part of this. Even if it's simply keeping your pups and young ones from getting sick - or being on the battlefield and treating wounds. Protect my pack-mates? I'd die for them if that be it. Please, see my determination as a vital skill for myself.” Vereux's end of his tail twitched. If he failed he was as good as dead. He would be working his life away if he entered, he knew that this was an elite pack. He came to realize that his teachers had been in the few and everything was learned hands on. Something he wasn't good at. However the fastening piece of his heart-rate told him a little differently of his fear. He also never wanted to disappoint Avalon.

“I speak”