gems
size
Small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

The Ooze ParticipantValentines 2020
10-23-2019, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 11:54 AM by Viviane.)
Viviane stood balanced atop the wall, alertly sweeping the land around the pack boundaries. Sentry duty had become a lot more... real these past seasons, with a pack of strangers laying claim to the lands right next to theirs, and then the volcano blanketing the sky in ash and threatening lives in the lands closest to its base. Every night she saw the sullen glow in the distance, and no stars. It was a stark reminder of how fragile everything they had was, and how important an early warning could be. Sentry duty wasn't just a game (or punishment, depending on how she felt about it that particular day) ot had a real purpose and gravity. Viviane was no fighter, but that didn't mean she didn't have just as much desire to keep the pack safe as Artur, or Cairo. So, she had begun to take her turn at sentry duty much more seriously. Today she had eschewed the hide tent that was meant to provide shelter and camouflage for the sentry, in favor of having a better view of the distant source of the ash cloud. She was careful to keep her attention on her duties, but every omce in a while her gaze would fix worriedly on that distant threat. There were eolves out there in danger, maybe needing help. What if Geoffrey was out there, hurt? Tears, as much of frustration as anything else, welled up. Artur was right - she should have been pushong for training. She should have been going to someone outside the pack. Instead she had chickened out instead of staying when Artur and Geoffrey had made a deal with Abaven for training. Now more than ever Valhalla needed her to have been trained and she had done nothing to pursue that. Maybe Aurielle hadn't just been too busy - maybe she had expected them to show their dedication by actively seeking out training. And here she had been holding back while her siblings went out and sought out training... and now she was just a useless weight on her siblings and the rest of the pack. She wasn't a fighter, she wasn't much of a hunter. If someone got hurt or sick, she couldn't even do anything to help them. All she could provide for the pack was sitting on the wall watching for danger, a duty so unskilled and simple that they'd assigned pups to it. Viviane drooped a little with a despondent sigh, though she kept her gaze roving. An important task, but one that literally any of the other pack members could perform while also actually being good at their chosen skills.

Aurielle

Loner

Master Intellectual (240)

Master Fighter (255)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Briena

The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Critical Fail!Valentines 2020
10-29-2019, 12:17 AM
Aurielle Adravendi

Patrols were a practice in fortitude, these days. Worries chased each other around in her head every time she took a moment to sleep, and as winter wore on, the Spirit was thinner under her fur than she should have been. The world was in a state of fragile, wavering balance. Prey was thin and tired, but while that meant easier hunting, it also meant food would become scarce as prey either moved on to other lands in search of forage not covered in ash, or died and rotted.

She glanced up and spotted a figure on the wall, which brought a faint, tired smile to her lips. It was close enough to the end of her route, so she altered her course, giving a gentle call to the young Adravendi girl as she leapt to seat herself beside Viviane.

She turned and studied the girl closely, noting the much-too-bright glisten in the girl’s eyes. With Geoffrey still missing, Aurielle didn’t doubt the girl was under a great deal of stress. Silently, she shifted closer, offering the warmth of her side to the delicate girl.

“How are you?”

Walk ---- "Speak" ---- "Hear" ---- Think

[Image: bkRAV4d.png]

At first glance, Aurielle's coat is pure white.. Her fur has an iridescent quality (like moonstones) where the fur shimmers different colors under various angles of light: in this case, the colors shown by rainbow moonstones. Not one hair on her hide is a solid unnatural color, but, ya know, it's really hard to convey that in still art :P
Aurielle's English is heavily laden with an Irish, Swedish mixed accent.
Her family is allowed to crash all her threads, Private and Open.
As of Autumn Year 14, Aurielle glows with a bright blue-white bio-luminescence in her fur, and bears a marking over her left eye - see profile and reference.

Viviane

Loner

Beginner Healer (0)

Beginner Intellectual (0)

gems
size
Small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

11-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Viviane was trying very hard to keep to her appointed task with intensity, but she had been entirely focused outside of the pack borders so when Aurielle leaped up beside her Viv jumped with a squeak of alarm, quickly muffled. "Oh! Uh... I'm all right," she finally said after sternly telling her heart to stop racing. She wasn't, not really, but it was all she could really think to say in the moment without dumping all her iwn problems squarely into Aurielle's already-burdened paws. "How are you? How is your family doing?" There was a note of real compassion in Viviane's tone - she had at a young age watched her mother slowly die, and had finished growing without parents to turn to for advice. She might not have Aurielle's life experiemce, or know how to lead or do much of anything, but she could empathize with needing to cope with that.

Aurielle

Loner

Master Fighter (255)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Briena

11-11-2019, 10:29 PM
Aurielle Adravendi

Before all the strife and turmoil that had struck their world, Aurielle might have laughed gently at Viv’s surprise, and worked to ensure the girl wasn’t embarrassed by her inattentiveness to her full surroundings. As it stood, she leaned and touched the girl with an easy, familial nudge to the shoulder, offering solidarity.

She doubted that Viv’s words actually rang true. Geoffrey was still missing—had been absent for some time, come to think of it. Her lips pursed at Viviane’s question, and she sighed, shaking her head.

“These fates cannot be stopped. She’s not getting any better. If anything, she’s worsening even more. I don’t know how she’d holding on so long.” Was her mother waiting for something, subconsciously?

Her eyes shifted to Viviane, knowing the girl at least understood the turmoil. The loss. The horror of seeing one’s mother weakening, and the despair that nothing was going to help.

“What do you want to do in life, Viviane? I know you’re inclined for healing, and I regret that your training has been lacking. I’m deeply sorry for that. I had decided to train both you and Geoffrey myself, but when I called, neither of you came.”

Her eyes turned to the dark sky, tracing the glow and studying the grim horizon before turning to the girl again. “I’m still more than willing to train you and your brother… if he’s…” She trailed off, not wanting to break that tentative hope.

“I may be a fighter, but I grew up with Paladin in the same den, and before…. Well mother was a healer, herself. It was impossible not to learn from them. I can at the very least carry you two to the higher basics. What do you think?”

At first glance, Aurielle's coat is pure white.. Her fur has an iridescent quality (like moonstones) where the fur shimmers different colors under various angles of light: in this case, the colors shown by rainbow moonstones. Not one hair on her hide is a solid unnatural color, but, ya know, it's really hard to convey that in still art :P
As of Autumn Year 14, Aurielle glows with a bright blue-white bio-luminescence in her fur, and bears a marking over her left eye - see profile and reference.

Viviane

Loner

Beginner Healer (0)

gems
size
Small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Viv nodded and dropped her eyes, all too aware that some things just couldn't be stopped. She didn't want to suggest that maybe this could be, that there was something they were missing - Aurielle probably felt badly enough without someone saying something like that - but she couldn't help but think it. Just as she couldn't help but wonder if things would have been different with her mother, if they could have had more years with her, if only she had sought out the training she needed sooner.

Her ears went red and hot in aghast embarrassment when Aurielle said she had called for her and Geo for training, only for them not to show up. "That was... we were probably out exploring. We spent a lot of time over... over in the east. I'm sorry we didn't answer you." That was the best she could manage without it being an obvious lie, though her embarrassment faded into sadness, her ears drooping. Geoffrey had still been there when the volcano erupted. Was that her fault too? Should she have tried to convince her brothers that they were doing the wrong thing? Geoffrey might not have gone if she had argued harder against it.

She took a deep breath, resolutely turning her mind away from the questions she didn't have answers to. "I want to be a healer more than anything. I would be grateful for anything you could teach."

Her muzzle did crease into aconfused frown, though, as a thought suddenly occurred to her that she dared not voice for fear of the answer. Why Aurielle, who was not the pack healer and was already busy with being alpha and already training Caelia and Cairo? Why not Paladin? She knew he was taking care of Aurielle's mother but surely he couldn't be that busy. At this point it was just palliative care, and much of it could be done by others. So... was it just that he didn't want to train her? That he thought there was no point in taking her as a student, because she wasn't ever going to be a good enough healer anyway? That maybe there was something wrong with her?

She stared glumly out at the ashy sky, trying to muster up the happiness that finally getting training should have caused, but all she could manage was a bone deep sadness and worries.

"Will the ash ever stop again?" she said without thinking. She didn't want Aurielle to think she was whining! But the constant greyness dragged at her, and as long as the volcano continued to cause trouble Geoffrey was in danger, where ever he was. Maybe if it stopped he could come home on his own.

Aurielle

Loner

Master Fighter (255)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Briena

11-25-2019, 12:18 AM
Aurielle Adravendi

Viviane’s reaction to Aurielle’s comment that she had called her and her brother for training was… interesting. The Spirit studied the younger wolf with shrewd intensity, eyes intent, though not unkind. There was honesty, but there was a ring of evasion in there, too. And sudden sadness… regret?

She thought back on the time around the day she’d called for the siblings for that healing training—she’d made the choice because of Paladin’s cough, and his worry that it could be contagious. “Was Artur with you?” His scent had been rather stale, and, come to think on it, so had Viviane and Geo’s, though now there was an explanation for that.

Her eyes flicked back to Viv’s face, in time to catch the confusion and, tracing back over the conversation thus far, she added, “I made the choice to train you because Paladin was ill at the time. He was afraid that he might be contagious, and didn’t want to risk getting either of you sick. And your training has been so delayed beyond that. I’d also like to extend a call to the Nomads. I’ve no doubt they would be thrilled to help you and your brother in your studies.”

Her eyes lifted to the sky as Viviane whispered the words she often wondered herself. “Someday. It may take a while, but eventually the cycle will return. But we may face many hardships along that path. But I would like to give you something that is sorely belated. I’d like to rank you and your brother as our first Flickers. Our first apprentices of the Healer’s Circle. Both myself and Paladin will be training you, and I believe Paladin intends to take you with him to the Nomads to train. Cairo already wants to be in the Warrior’s Circle. I believe Caelia will follow that same path. I’d like to double check with her…”

She trailed off with a sigh as she ran her mind over the members of the pack. “More than ever now, we all need to band together and actually get to know one another. I’ve been utterly failing as a leader thus far.”

Viviane

Loner

Beginner Healer (0)

gems
size
Small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

12-19-2019, 01:41 AM
Aurielle's question was surprising, considering how rarely Artur seemed to spend time in pack lands anyway, and Viviane had the sudden worry that somehow the alpha already knew despite all the convoluted secrecy Artur had put them through. It wasn't as if she didn't have an easy way out here - Artur had said right out that they could pin it on him if they got caught. She didn't have to get in trouble. But as little as she wanted to get in trouble, as little as she wanted to lie, she didn't want to be the one to admit to the whole thing and get her brother or brothers in trouble. She was a terrible liar, though, so instead of denying it she temporized. "He shows up sometimes when we go outside of pack lands. I think he feels like he needs to protect us when we're out in the world. Sometimes he doesn't, though. I don't know where he goes when he isn't here." That was all true. He did have a habit of showing up unexpectedly, and she didn't know what he got up to when he wasn't around.

She did light up when Aurielle mentioned asking the Nomads for help in her training. Unlike some of the older members of the pack, like Aurielle's litter and the Ancoras, she hadn't grown up with stories about the Nomads and their near-mythical reputation as healers, but she could hardly have spent time in Valhalla without having heard of them. "Really?" she breathed in wide-eyed excitement. "I mean, I - I'd really like that. But you needn't go to that much trouble, I know you're very busy with things already," she added with painful politeness, even though it was agony to give Aurielle that optional out.

Her eyes only grew wider when Aurielle went on to talk about ranks. "I would be honored," she managed. Suddenly, the day seemed far less gloomy despite the grey skies and ash. But... would Geoffrey be able to come home to enjoy his new rank and training when the volcano no longer made travel difficult and dangerous? Surely he would come home then.

Aurielle

Loner

Master Fighter (255)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Briena

01-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Aurielle Adravendi

At Viviane’s cagey explanation, Aurielle hummed thoughtfully with a sigh. She didn’t voice her concerns about the young man, beyond saying “I don’t think he’s happy here.”

Viviane’s breathless excitement brought a smile to her lips and she leaned lightly into the young woman, smile blooming into a light grin as she confirmed “Really really. Between myself and Pal, I hope to see you and Geoff shine. And if you think I’m slacking, seek me out and drag my by the mane to go for an herb hunt or lesson, alright?”

She winked lightly at the smaller wolf. She didn’t want her people to think that they shouldn’t seek her out and drag her on a lesson. The path ran both ways, she felt. There was a balance that needed kept.

“So! First lesson starts now. Tell me what you know so far, and we can start from there. We can pass the time while we stand sentinel. I can point out plants so you can learn them, ash-covered or no.”

Viviane

Loner

Beginner Healer (0)

gems
size
Small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

01-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Aurielle commented that she didn't think Artur was happy there. Viviane didn't think he was either. Even before Geoffrey had left. Even before their mom died he had seemed restless and discontent, but especially after. He'd always been the most interested of all of them in hearing the stories about how their grandma had been queen, and their great-grandpa a king, how their great uncle had been one of the most feared warriors in the land. She had always wanted to hear the story about their grandparent's great romance, but for Artur it had always been about the glory of their ancestors. She thought maybe he saw their mother as being subservient to Aurielle despite her honored rank and that was why he resented it so much there, but there had to be nore to it than that. But it felt like a betrayal of her brother to say any part of that out loud, so she just looked down at her paws and stayed quiet.

Aurielle's assertion that she should drag her out if she ever slacked on teach brought her gaze peeping back up with a faintly horrified smile. "Oh no, I could never..." She giggled at the picture in her head of her toting the larger alpha around like a pup, then added "well, if you insist I guess."

Her offer to turn the sentry duty into a lesson brought the smule into full sunny brightness. "I don't know much, just the little things Mom knew. Like, she would give us lavender in our bedding sometimes when we couldn't settle down to sleep, and once she put aloe vera gel on my nose when I got a sunburn, but I think that's all she really knew about healing. I think I could recognize by scent some some of the herbs Paladin used for Cairo when he was sick a lot, but I don't know what they were called or how to use them." Her tone was faintly apologetic.

Aurielle

Loner

Master Fighter (255)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Briena

01-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Aurielle Adravendi

A grin answered the younger wolf’s words, a chuckle escaping her before they settled into the lesson and her eyes scanned the surroundings, both for the possibility of danger, and for the herbs and plants that were the lesson. She nodded as Viviane spoke what she knew, then added gently, “Never feel unworthy simply because you don’t know something yet. It only means that you get to learn something new.”

She tilted her head, thinking, then said easily, reciting from memory of Paladin’s lessons when she was small, and even now, “Lavender is a very good herb to use when settling anxiety, whether it’s for a child having trouble sleeping, or a new mother in her first labor. But that’s not its only use. The steam inhaled from water steeped with lavender can be breathed in to sooth a cold or cough. A tea can settle the stomach and ease infections, especially as a tincture. It can help with flatulence and nausea, bolster the appetite… many things.”

A pause, then she added, “It can also help break a fever’s hold. Externally, it can assist in disinfecting cuts and wounds, and ulcers and sores. It can help minimize scarring, both in wounds and in burns.”

Now and then her eyes would flick to Viviane, checking to see if she was taking in the knowledge, and she would pause now and then when she felt the young woman needed a moment to think or absorb something. It was soothing, to be honest, imparting what she knew.

Viviane

Loner

Beginner Healer (0)

gems
size
Small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

01-29-2020, 10:59 PM
Viviane listened earnestly, her expression open and beaming, as Aurielle took one of the few herbs she knew and ran with it, giving her a list of all the uses for it. Her ears pressed forward intently as she committed each use to memory. Everything from anxiety to coughs to stomach aches - she had to stifle a giggle at flatulence - and external uses. She thought guiltily of the scarring on Artur's face and wondered if she could have stopped it from scarring as badly if she'd known about it and helped her. She was glad to be learning now, so that she'd be able to help next time. "When shouldn't you use lavender? Are there times where it would be a bad thing to use? How strong is it? Is it -" Her ears reddened in embarrassment and she stopped the torrent of questions. "Sorry, I won't interrupt."

Aurielle

Loner

Master Fighter (255)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Briena

02-24-2020, 08:53 AM
Aurielle Adravendi

She smiled as Viviane cut in with some very valid questions, and as the young wolf broke off and apologized, Aurielle shook her head with a chuckle.

“Don’t apologize. Those are very good questions to ask. As with anything, too much lavender can be a problem, and some can gain skin problems from the topical applications to the skin with the oils. It is a narcotic poison, and can cause muscular convulsions—even death, when used carelessly. It should always be used in minimal amounts.”

She lifted her head slightly higher, studying some movement, letting her eyes fall unfocused to a point nearby it before dismissing the movement as a bird or hare and continuing with her lesson.

“Most parts of the plant can be used, but the leaves and flowers are the most common. It can also be used as an insect repellent.”

Viviane

Loner

Beginner Healer (0)

gems
size
Small
build
Balanced
player
Tealah

03-26-2020, 03:23 PM
Viviane nodded along, her eyes wide and serious, while Aurielle told her what dangers were possible with too much of the herb. Too much ingested could be deadly, or cause convulsions. Too much topically could cause skin irritation. The leaves and flowers were used - she remembered the flowers, tucked into their bedding. "Insect repellent?" she repeated thoughtfully. "That could be really useful for when we stand sentry in the spring and summer. It's not so bad when you're patrolling and moving around but sitting sentry duty sometimes the gnats and flies get really bad. Maybe I should make some sometime and keep it in the shelters so everyone can use it when they have sentry." She tilted her head thoughtfully, then mused aloud. "Maybe not with lavender actually. It would be bad if we got too relaxed on sentry duty and lavender is pretty relaxing. Maybe something else instead that can also keep us alert."

Aurielle

Loner

Master Fighter (255)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Briena

04-17-2020, 11:38 PM
Aurielle Adravendi

The Spirit smiled as Viv thought over the uses of their subject for this lesson,, nodding with visible pleasure as she listed her own ideas, chuckling.

“Rosemary has a good, sharp scent and I believe insects aren’t too fond of it either. Cedar can also be helpful.”

Her eyes shifted to scan the sullen red sky in the east, a sigh filtering through her thoughts as she considered that the pack could use a chance to relax and play. Or at the very least find some happiness amid this eruption and all the problems that came with it. Sometimes when the ash got particularly bad you’d think it was snowing in greyscale.

“I’m sure we’d all enjoy something that smelled nice out here while on sentry. As long as it’s in the shelters and not out in the air, it should keep us from having our noses confused.”

Walk ---- "Speak" ---- "Labhair an Sean-Teanga." ---- "Hear" ---- Think