size
Large
build
Heavy
player

The Ooze ParticipantDouble Master
04-19-2020, 02:05 PM
That Sea is just a Gambler at Heart

Dómari held onto the deers throat as he dragged the dead animal into a clearing in the wooded area just north of the estuary. Autumn had yet to touch here and the prey were making use of the warmer climate. He'd had the luck to pick off a young injured buck. With their autumn hormones raging the deer were becoming less cautious and so he'd seen an opening and taken it. He immediately set to deconstructing the kill. He wanted the hide for sure and so he started working his fangs around the neck of the deer. The blood pooled in his mouth and he swallowed while he worked. Taking in the extra nutrients. He might have to have a snack before heading back to Valhalla.

Dómari remembered saying he'd try skinning with a knife some time which reminded him, he really out to go ahead and start working on something. He'd start with chewing a bone into a rough knife shape first. But which bone? He glanced at the antlers. Well, he could start there. It was a young buck and only had two points but that was good enough to practice. Dómari moved over to one of the antlers while the blood drained and started chewing on the antlers, working his fangs back and forth. His fox companions soon joined him and tried to help but he shooed them away.

Mint

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
04-19-2020, 02:30 PM

Mint traversed the estuary with careful steps. Muddy paths surrounded by shallow water made it hard to travel with ease. Grass dusted her ankles and various birds watched above in the various trees. Previously Mint was spending most of her time near Fireside but she figured it was time to start studying the other areas of Boreas. As a huntress in training it was her duty to find exotic animals and livestocks to herd back to the pack. The list of things to learn and work on were long beneath her new position in the pack. Mint found it hard to not be overwhelmed but that ambitious side of her seemed to shine through. The mahogany babe would take one day at a time and try to improve upon all of her skills as time went on.

The scent of a fresh killed filled her nose rather easily. Metallic scents of blood and another Wolf clung to the air. Sharp green eyes took in the surrounding area as she approached the wooded area north of the waters. Blood painted the earth and painted the picture for her. A large carcass had been dragged into the tree line by seemingly an unknown Wolf. Mint raised a brow as she prowled further into the woods, careful to not spook the stranger.

Green eyes locked onto the sight of a Wolf working away on a smaller set of antlers. Chewing away to seemingly make something out of the bone. She witnessed the Foxes move from the scene at the Wolves digression. Mint raised her head and broke through the tree line. She didn't want to give off any threatening vibes to the stranger since Wolves are often possessive of their kill. "Hello there." Her eyes flicked to the antlers then back towards the Wolf. "Mind if I ask what you are working on?"

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-19-2020, 02:38 PM

Dómari continued chewing on the deer antler. This was taking more work and patience than he'd anticipated. Still he diligently worked on what he was doing, keeping an eye on his foxes out of the corner of his eye as he watched them jump and play. He chewed and chewed and chewed until finally he chewed off the portion that he wanted. The sound of approaching paws caught his attention and he looked over to see a young woman approach. He set the piece of antler down so he could speak. "Oh, hello there! I'm working on chewing this antler into something vaguely blade shaped. I'm also skinning this deer."

Dómari moved to where the cut was that circled the deers neck. He worked his jaws in and started tearing a cut down the middle of the underside of the deers neck. He looked up again and licked his blood. "Kind of like that." He looked from the kill to the woman. This would all go so much faster with help and he didn't want to dally too long and attract predators like lions and tigers and bears. "Say, if you help me skin the deer I'd give you half of the hide."

Mint

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
04-19-2020, 03:18 PM

The Foxes were playing in the distance and a warm welcome was voiced. A small grin played at her lips as she listened to the stranger's explanation. Mint was not too familiar with crafting personally but she had seen others do it back home. The concept intrigued her quite a bit and she'd easily leap at the chance to consume some knowledge. Though, she did have experience in skinning. So perhaps she could trade her assistance with skinning the deer for his knowledge of crafting a blade.

Mint offered a nod, "Sounds like a good deal." The crimson fae moved to sit next to the stranger. Her hackles twitched ever so slightly to raise for it felt odd to be so close to someone she didn't know. But, Mint felt as though she would be okay if they were truly working towards the same goal. What was life without taking a few risks? She moved to continue the cut through the Deer pelt just as the stranger did. Her aim was to be very precise and have an even edge for the sake of the pelt being neat in the end. After her mouth filled with blood the babe swallowed and lifted her head for a breather. "I am Mint, by the way." A pause. "Feel free to give me pointers. I may be a bit rusty." She then delved back into the process. Every no and again shifting the carcass and herself to continue the incision further. Blood painted her front half but she was not afraid of getting a bit dirty.

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-19-2020, 03:33 PM

"A pleasure to meet you Mint. I'm Dómari Xanilov and you look like you're doing a good job to me!" He picked up the piece of antler in his jaws again and began chewing and gnawing to work it into more of a point. It didn't have to be perfect but he wanted to give it a bit of a test to at least see how it felt in his jaws. Dómari worked swiftly to make sure he was doing his fair share and after a few more quick chisels he was pleased enough with his knife to try it. While Mint work on making the center line Dómari decided to work on the legs.

He moved to the hind legs first to keep out of Mint's way. The legs were the most difficult for him as the hide was thinner there but he hoped using the knife would help. He first started working to make a circle cut above each hock and then he started working the knife under the skin and cutting up. He'd need a line underneath each limb that would connect to the center line. He found himself having to set the knife down to peel a little here and there but he was eventually satisfied with his cuts. He then maneuvered to the front of the animal to start the process there.

Mint

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
04-19-2020, 04:39 PM

Their introduction was easy enough. Dómari Xanilov was the name of her new crafting partner. She flicked a small messy smile towards Domari as he gave her reassurance of her good work. "Nice to meet you. Are those Foxes friends of yours?" An expression of light amusement played at her mahogany features before she got back to work. As her companion utilized his new knife on the thin skin of the Deer's hind legs she continued the center seam. Mint avoided working over Domari but she did have to get rather close to get further down the abdomen of the Deer. As she swallowed more blood she glanced to the male shyly before moving away.

Mint began to work on the front legs. She mimicked what Domari did by cutting circles before connecting the inner leg seam with the chest seam. She was careful to not mutilate the lovely pelt with gentle moves of fangs. Every now and again she came up for a breather and took a glance at the bigger pictures. They were doing well at the moment. Mint then began to separate the skin of the Deer from the flesh. Peeling and slicing with her teeth very gently.

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-19-2020, 07:01 PM

Dómari grinned and nodded. "Yes, the black one is Áskell and the white one is Lynvarr." The foxes peeked over at Mint and nodded in greeting. Dóm cocked a brow at them. They were normally much chattier but he supposed it took some time to get used to a new presence. He continued to work until he had finished the task he'd set before himself. With the cuts made the next step would be to start peeling the hide off the flesh of the deer. He glanced at Mint and smiled. "Great work! We'll next need to start peeling the hide off the deer. We'll do this side first and then we can flip it over and finish." He moved up to the neck and started working, pulling the skin as he went.

He paused now and then to stretch his jaws. "Are you from around here Mint? I was born here a long time ago but just got back last season."

Mint

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
04-21-2020, 08:48 PM

As the older male informed her of the Fox's names she glanced over at them with a bloody grin. They offered cheeky nods and she nodded right back. "Hi there!" It was not every day Mint got to meet two Fox's as seemingly nice as these. Most were territorial thieves in her experience. Nevertheless, she got back to work as he began to instruct her on their plans. Continue seperating skin from meat, flip, and then continue. Mint figured it was simple enough and really appreciated the direction. Domari was older and seemingly a bit more experienced. Any sort of knowledge she could obtain was welcomed.

Mint continued to separate the hide by pulling it with her teeth. She was very careful to not puncture the skin too much. Mint wanted the edges to look like a master did it. The work was tedious, messy, and very time consuming but they were making good time. Two minds were superior to one, most the time. She couldn't help but to think of how the hide would look in her new den at Fireside. It still needed some work but in time it would look lovely with the addition of a Deer pelt to sleep on.

As Domari took a break he spoke to her. Mint raised her head as well to respond, "No I am not. I only just arrived here about a season ago. But, I have found residence in a pack in the south." It was pretty far from the Estuary. But, she was use to traveling due to having been a rogue for a bit. "Are you a member of the pack nearby?" Mint moved to continue pulling as she patiently waited for a reply.

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

04-25-2020, 11:53 AM

"Hi!" chirped Áskell in response to the wolf's greeting. He then promptly reached over and started chewing on his brother's scruff. Lynvarr was not amused and soon the two were wrestling, their strange little growls echoing in the air. Dómari ignored it. With those two there was always some sort of scuffle going on. Mint did an amazing job on the side she was working on. When she was finished he seized the deer by the throat and then using his weight to get under it he carefully rolled the deer over onto its other side. He nodded in answer to her question. "Yes, I'm part of Valhalla. We're just to the north of here. The West and South are good places to be when those cold north winds start blowing."

He bent his head and got to work sheering the hide from the other side, pulling back the skin as he went while working his jaws underneath the flesh. He had to pause a few times to turn his head and blow the blood out from his nose. It was messy work but well worth it once winter arrived.

Mint

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
05-01-2020, 10:06 PM

Mint smiled as the Foxes responded with a 'hi' then a few barks. She was amused by their friendly and playful nature. Mint was aware how playful a Fox could be but she had never encountered them in such a friendly manner. Most were protective of their prey or dens. Mint would not dare approach a Fox den without preparing for a scrap. Especially if their kits were around.

They continued on with their tedious work. The light at the end of the tunnel was beginning to expose itself. She worked as he responded to her question. Valhalla. The pack name was pretty as it played in her mind. She'd have to remember the name and location. Knowledge of other packs was important in many ways. Especially with winter coming, Wolves got greedy and desperate as the temperature drops. She paused her work with blood dripping from her maw, "I am not a fan of snow so I will cherish my time in the south."

Mint continued on with their work. Continuing on the other side of the Deer to separate the skin from the flesh. She was seemingly covered in blood at this point but in the end it would all be worth it. Soon they would be done and the hide would be theirs to split. Every now and again she'd lift her head to take a break and see the big picture. Only a tiny bit more work to be done.

Dómari

Somnium

gems
size
Large
build
Heavy
player

05-02-2020, 05:30 PM

With the hide finally free of the deer it was time to make good on his promise and cut the hide in half. He laid the hide out so that it was flat on the ground. Judging about where the middle was he started chewing, inviting Mint to start on the other side if she wished. He planned to use his half to hang inside the entrance to his den. He hoped it would help insulate his den so the cold outside air would not affect the warmer inside so readily during chilly winter nights.

When they had the hide split Dómari folded his half and set it aside. "Well, I better get the rest of this kill back to my pack. Thanks for your help with the hide. Perhaps we'll run into each other again some day."

-exit-