ardent

Do you got room for one more troubled soul?

Percy

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
07-23-2020, 10:28 PM
Clearly today was going to be a bad day. She had woken up with a rodent in her fur, one that talked no less, and less than patiently tried to explain they had been doing this same dance every morning for more than a month now. She had railed and sighed and threatened to eat him, but deep down she knew he wasn’t lying from the way his scent hung around her like that of a pack. That, and even as she threatened it, a knot formed in her gut in rebellion. She couldn’t eat him, he was family... somehow? Fine pack they made. A girl that couldn’t remember what she had done yesterday and a nut-grubbing squirrel. She supposed it could be worse, she could actually be alone.

And now, far from the protection of a canopy, great walls rising on either side of them, and not an overhang or cave in sight and it was raining. Gods above and below she hated the rain, though why she hated it she could never quite remember. Theodore, as he had introduced himself for the umpteenth time she was sure, had been clinging to her neck, plucking stray tufts from behind her ears and all the places she could never quite reach, “Wouldn’t do t’ grab one o’ those when yer freak out on me next.” He had teased as he begun, but now with the skies opening up above them and no cover in sight, the young woman ground to a halt, parking her rump against the ground and splaying her legs ever so slightly to use her body as a canopy. “No point us both being wet and miserable.” She threw away with a tip of her head to the small shelter her body would provide. She ignored the look he gave her as he scaled down her shoulder and darted out of her line of sight.
[Image: 9Fr76Pv.png]

Askan

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantGold Medal 2020
07-24-2020, 08:21 AM

The rain was back again, pouring down so fierce that Askan was drenched in seconds. Just as before he knew that he ought to seek out shelter, but he wasn't quite as dramatic about it this time, no skittering from one tree to the next or making a fool of himself. Just quiet acceptance. Of course, it went without saying that if he found shelter he'd make use of it, but if he didn't then he could deal with a bit of rain. It wouldn't kill him, probably. And so he wandered on, ears pinned to his skull as his tail hung limp between his legs. Just as moody and broody as the morning rain.

His senses were dull, drowned out and washy, so it wasn't exactly his fault that he didn't notice the loner all huddled up there, shoulders hunched like she hadn't grown right. It was only when she spoke that Askan had a huh moment and he stomped to a standstill. He squinted and that's when he saw her amongst all the browns and greys, along with the little critter that was using her as shelter.

"Is that a squirrel?" Askan asked, incredulous. Of course he had eyes and knew a squirrel when he saw one, so his question was more accurately why do you have a squirrel?

[Image: dcn3i8m-9c82d108-20e7-4e4d-8c63-664fb310...DJDJeXfbOA]

Percy

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
07-25-2020, 04:11 AM
For a moment she thought she had started hearing voices, and even with her terrible memory something told her if that were the case, it would be something new. Her head swung up with narrowed eyes, ears pinned against her skull against the torrential rain, her right lip curled up in a disdainful sneer, revealing a single tooth when she finally made out the other wolfs shape. “What’s it to ya?” she rumbled defensively. ”Maybe I jus’ like to bring a snack along incase I get hungry?”

She could practically feel Theo’s angry glare burning into her undersides, but maybe if the stranger thought the squirrel was already earmarked by the woman, well, he might not try and snap him up for himself.

Askan

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player

07-25-2020, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2020, 01:19 PM by Askan.)

Askan wrinkled his nose as his lips twisted into a frown. So she was one of them? All crude and mouthy, like having an attitude somehow made her better than him? He harrumphed loudly at her question, tossing his head to make a show of how stupid it was. She sort of had a point though, but as if he'd ever stoop to the level of admitting he had no right to shoving his nose in other's personal matters. Besides, the way he saw it he'd asked a simple question, so didn't he deserve a simple answer?

When she did continue Askan's brow shot up in disapproval.

"Rather cruel of you." He noted, sort of pitying the little beast. He didn't like squirrels more than any other animal but toying with it like this didn't sit right with him. Better to give it a quick and dignified death than treating it like a chew toy, or something equally as callous. "And a waste since they're bad eating, too stringy. If you're that desperate why don't you hunt? There's plenty of prey in these parts." It was an earnest question but it came out like an accusation, like he was implying that she was incapable.

Percy

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
07-28-2020, 03:55 AM
The rain continued to pelt down on her skull, soaking though her guard hairs and down to the skin. Percy at least had the decency to look slightly chastised when the stranger called her cruel, and her petulant sigh was enough to blow the trickling water away from her lips. She could feel Theo clinging to her leg, poised to leap to her shoulder and defence if required. The noise that left his lips at being called stringy might have even passed for a growl.

She never really remembered hunting, although she must have at some point, because she never really remembered feeling overly hungry either. “I reckon the smart prey’ll be hunkered down somewhere out of this rain.” Her tone had softened some. “I’m Phoenix, but I’d prefer it if you called me Percy... and this one,” she lifted her paw, but kept the red squirrel shielded with her body, “tells me his name is Theodore, and apparently he’s been following me for months...” She pretended not to see his eyes rolling.

“No point tellin’ her your name,” the squirrel piped up, “As soon as she falls asleep she’ll forget it all anyway.” He crossed his paws across his chest momentarily, daring the young girl to challenge him. She must have been having a bad day, because for once, she held her tongue.

Askan

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player

08-06-2020, 09:35 AM

Phoenix or Percy? Askan could hardly blame her for the preference, he wasn't all that fond of his name either but wasn't creative enough to come up with a nickname he liked. His sisters used to call him Kana but since they'd always said it with such affection it felt...too soft, casual and familiar, not the sort of name he'd want to hand out to just anyone. So Askan was it, whether he liked it or not. Askan's gaze flicked down to the squirrel and he squinted a little when he learned his name, what sort of name was that? Had the little critter chosen it himself, or did all squirrels have fancy-smancy names?

He would have asked why her memory was so bad, but a secondary once over of her form made it pretty damn obvious. He'd met a few wolves with scars, mostly cosmetic as though they'd gone out of the way to try and make themselves look as badass as possible. But the scar that marred her face was pretty rough, if he was being honest. The nosy, entitled part of him wanted to ask what had happened but for once he thought the better of it and bit down on his tongue, his ears flicking back as though annoyed by his own show of restraint. Like Percy it seemed as though he was in a weird mood lately.

"That sucks." He said, in an astounding-or rather feeble- show of sympathy. "But isn't that what you're for, remembering things?" It was a mean jab, but mostly said in jest. Mostly.

Percy

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
08-09-2020, 09:11 PM

If Percy had been looking down, she would have seen the way the squirrel poked his tongue out at the larger man’s jab, as it was she allowed a smirk to cross her face, "If that’s the case, he’s been doin’ a shit job so far, if I can’t even remember him, ey?" She didn’t expect the stranger to respond, sure that by now he was well and truely sick of the strange pair and would be on his way soon enough. She wasn’t sure if solitude suited her, but memories of regular company were few and fuzzy, and everyone seemed so much larger there. Her rump lifted from the ground, a useless attempt at shaking the water from her fur hardly doing anything to lessen the weight on her back.

"If I were looking for prey in these parts..." she was trying really hard to be polite, but she couldn’t quite remember what that entailed. "Which way would you recommend I go from here?" She wouldn’t ask him to show her, no, that would certainly be imposing herself on him and she didn’t imagine he would care for it. She’d made it this long, she was sure Theo could pull her ears or something to keep her on course if she got lost or distracted.

"Percy". "Theo".

we could stay young forever

Askan

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player

08-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Askan's lip ticked up a little at the sight of the squirrels tongue. He would have liked to remain neutral and expressionless but he'd never been good at hiding his emotions and try as he might he couldn't start now. At first he thought it must've been awfully frustrating to have her memories slip through her grasp like sand, but could she even cling onto that frustration? Was that lost to her mind too? What a mess of a wolf she was, of that much the Selwyn was certain. He watched as she stood up and shook the rain off her coat, only to be replaced a few moments later. An act of futility if he'd ever seen one. The way she phrased her question was markedly strange and Askan's brows raised in question, as though he wasn't entirely sure what she meant. Her approach at being polite was far different from his own, to say the least.

"Only hypothetically? He said, his eyes squinting a little, as if he didn't know a hungry wolf when he saw one. But he wasn't going to harp on her choice of words, even Askan wasn't that pedantic. "Anywhere to the south has better pickings, the west too. But if you aren't looking to travel so far then I know some forests to the east. I've managed to hunt there well enough.

He was no master hunter, that much was obvious, but he clearly wasn't starving either. Just getting by was the best he could manage so far and whilst it was a far cry from the comforts of the Emirate, Askan was somewhat content with his lot. At the very least he could remember where he'd been and what he'd done the day before, Percy didn't seem to have that luxury.

"Get up. I'll show you" He decided, having concluded this conversation would turn out to be a waste of breath if he didn't .

Percy

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
08-16-2020, 08:36 PM

The girl might have sighed as if she were being put upon when he told her to get up, but her smile betrayed her silent thanks, along with the easy way her head dipped low and her waving tail hung low at her back. She felt Theo climb up her leg, trusting he had noted and remembered the other locations that were mentioned. She moved close enough to bump shoulders with the larger man in companionable greeting. It’s not as if she could remember this was her first meeting with anyone, so once she felt comfortable she easily slipped into acting as if she had known them forever. "If I knew where I was goin’ I bet I could beat you there." She was surprisingly upbeat all of a sudden, despite the weather. Maybe it was the prospect of company after all. "And even if I am going to forget it, I should be able to remember for today, what is your name?"

"Percy". "Theo".

we could stay young forever

Askan

Somnium

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player

09-02-2020, 07:31 PM

Askan wasn't the sort to demand gratitude, like some, but he appreciated the sentiment anyway. At her subtle dip of her head Askan exhaled sharply through his nose and that was it, all the recognition he was going to give her. But apparently in her eyes it wasn't enough as she soon found her way to her paws and bumped into his shoulder as though they were buddies or something. He didn't hate it but he didn't understand her intent either, the Selwyns weren't a touchy-feely family nor were they the sort to tolerate improprieties or transgressions from those the saw as lesser. But that really wasn't here or fucking there, Askan was a bit of a dick but he wasn't that snooty. Well not all of the time, it was his one saving grace that he could and sometimes did clamber down from his almighty pedestal.

"If you say so." Askan rumbled, beckoning her to follow with a sharp flick of his tail. He didn't care much for banter, that much was obvious but when asked for his name he gave it to her easily enough. "Askan Selwyn. You?" He asked, figuring that the squirrel might respond for her.

Percy

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Medium
player
09-06-2020, 06:33 PM

Askan. She was gonna have to work really hard to not forget that one, but she trusted Theo would remind her after her morning freak out regardless. A smirk tugged at the corner of her lips when he asked for her name, she even dared to giggle, "Forgettin’ things is my thing," She dared another shoulder bump as her tail waved merrily over her back, her feet picking up as she skipped a few steps ahead before slowing back down. Even she could remember she had already introduced both of them. Theo held tight to the longer hairs at the back of her neck, worry clearly painted on his face as he gave the stranger a considering glance, he hadn’t seen his wolf so light and relaxed since before her accident.

"Percy and Theo," She reminded Askan again, suddenly the rain didn’t seem so bad now that they had company.

"Percy". "Theo".

there’s nothin’ you can do about it