size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
12-24-2020, 09:58 PM

Freedooooooom! Artorias' thoughts bellowed in excitement as the little black and blue puppy all but leaped over the border of the Hallows land and officially into wild, unclaimed territory. A wide smile spread across his face, eyes burning with a desire to touch and see and smell and explore! Mom had been exceptionally generous in allowing the pups to wander nearby terrains provided they took a companion babysitter with them. While Art did not particularly enjoy the company of the two jackals Resin kept as pets, if they were the tickets to getting out of the house and seeing some of the world, he would gladly be saddled with the scavengers. And what better place to go exploring first than the beach? After all, Artorias was drawn to water, and he hadn't seen the beach since their family trip to the Armada weeks ago! He was long overdue for a trip back to see even more of it.

And who better to show the beach to and bring along than his partner in crime? Artorias skidded down a short slope and turned with a leap to smile back at the dappled grey boy flanking him close by. Once he had gotten permission to head out, he had immediately gone to find Rudyard. After all, an adventure just wasn't complete without his brother with him! They'd gone exploring on their own together last time, and while that had been an unsanctioned journey, this was an unlimited all-access trip to see everything they could see! Okay, maybe the water rule still applied... but still! "Come on, Rudy! I think I can hear the ocean!" Artorias called after his littler brother as he ran ahead again towards the east. The air was beginning to get that tinge of saltiness on the air, and gulls were seen drifting lazily overhead. It was an unusually warm and sunny day for the late autumn, and Artorias wanted to make the most of it before winter arrived. Even though he'd never experienced winter before, all the adults were preparing endlessly for it, so he assumed it wasn't going to be nearly as fun.

Artorias glanced back past Rudyard to make sure He and She were still following. Of course the jackals were still there, lingering right behind them to make sure the puppies didn't try to stray off. Resin had been unyieldingly stern when giving them the guidelines on what was and was not allowed. Artorias did not intend to betray that trust again—but he would make the most of his newfound freedom. A large shadow rushed past him, and Artorias glanced up to see Corbin taking the lead, gliding gracefully ahead until he emerged from the trees into bright sunlight. Artorias burst from the tree line next, blinking through the blinding light to be greeted by a gorgeous sight. Pale blue waters lapped at a shimmering golden shore. A bright blue sky was dotted with only a couple white clouds. Everything was tranquil, and no one else was anywhere in sight. The boy's mouth dropped open, then curled up into a huge grin.

"We're here! We're here!" he shouted out and bounded across the warm sand, leaving a trail of puppy paw prints in the sand wherever he stepped. Art barked happily as he bounced and danced through the sand, stopping only to look back and make sure Rudy and the jackals were still behind him. Even if they were exploring and playing, he had to look out for his brother. Rudy had a knack for finding trouble, even when he didn't intend to... especially when he didn't intend to. "Isn't it neat? Briar showed me a beach back in her home when we were there and I wanted to come back every day since!" Corbin fluttered down to land on the beach next to the boy, sneering as his talons sank into the sand instantly. "'Neat' is not quite the adjective I'd choose for such a place..." the raven murmured, taking back to the sky to find a nearby tree to perch in and keep an eye on the boys.

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Corbin"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Trophy Hunter Trophy Hunter

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-24-2020, 10:53 PM
Walk | "Talk" | think

Rudy ran along with and then behind his longer-legged brother.  Rudy was growing faster with all of his hunting rabbits and wondered who was faster now between Art and him.  Art was running fast but he also practically bouncing and taking time to look back at Rudy than an all-out run.  Meanwhile, Rudy was trying to figure out the best way to bring along his slower companion.  The little Tasmanian devil just couldn’t keep up with the pup.  In the end, they had tried for the young creature to ride on the pup’s back but that wasn’t working well as for Kotori’s size it was still pretty heavy, and picking it up wasn’t going to happen.

So now Rudy would run up close to Arty but then slow down to wait on the devil, then rush up faster to Art again then slowing down.  Rudy was tired of waiting on the little devil but he had to admit it was cute and had a great personality!  

“I’m comin, I’m comin!” glancing down at the black creature with the white on its chest, “come on Bandit, keep up.”

Bandit gave the pup a glare and kept at his own pace.  Rudy had heard it say a few words once and knew it could talk but so far Bandit hadn’t bothered speaking in a tongue that Rudy could understand very often.  Whether it was because Bandit was also young or if the little devil was just grouchy at points he wasn’t sure.  

Rudy ran on and also burst through the trees with a bark of joy.  Up above it wasn’t only Arty’s bird that was nearby.  High up a hawk soared in large loops.  It was hard to make out one hawk from another way up there but Rudy was sure it was his bird.  Where Art’s joy was over the water Rudy’s eyes brightened at a bunch of seagulls off to the north side of the shore and he took off barking at them, watching with joy as they took to the air.  They didn’t fly overall far though.  Apparently, he was more of a nuisance than a threat.

Rudy snickered at Arty’s raven. “he’s as cheery as Bandit,” glancing back he could spot the tiny creature jogging out from the trees and starting to make its way closer to them.  “You know last thing Bandit told me last night was ‘wake me and I’ll slice your nose off.’” For all that Rudy seemed quite happy about it, the threat was amusing verses concerning.  His eyes then finally noticed the water, “look at that will ya.  Where’s the other side?”  Rudy chose to ignore the jackals.  They were background scenery that would come into the picture if danger showed up.

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
12-25-2020, 01:35 AM

It made Artorias exceedingly happy to have Rudy out with him on his adventures again. For the past few days, Art had been so engrossed in his training regiments and Rudy had been busy hanging out with the new pups that Mom had brought home that they hadn't gotten to see much of each other. This was as much a time for fun and exploring as it was for reconnecting with his brother. He smirked and snickered when Rudy told him about the irritable personality of his Tasmanian devil companion. Each of the pups had gotten their own animal companions recently, just like their parents, and were still learning to coexist with their newfound friends. For all his snark and scathing sarcasm, Corbin had been a good mentor to the young Artorias. The bird was highly intelligent and had been teaching Artorias everything he had ever wanted to know about distant lands, navigating from the sky and the ground, and generally keeping the wolf pup company during his long training sessions. "They'll come around sooner or later," he remarked when his brother mentioned Corbin's and Bandit's dispositions.

Artorias strode slowly towards the edge of the water, stopping just shy of where the white foaming waves were touching on the sand. He could feel the spray of each wave lap at his legs and a cool coastal breeze ran through his fur. Artorias giggled as he stared out over the seemingly endless vastness of the ocean. It stretched out for miles in all directions, with nothing in sight on the horizon. It was like an infinite blanket of blue that isolated them from the rest of the world. Rudy's question made his ear's perk up and his mind race. What was on the other side of the sea? Was there an other side? How far away was it? What kind of distant lands laid beyond the great ocean? "I don't know..." Artorias responded, staring in wonder into the horizon. "It must be super far away though. I can't see anything but water!" He shot a grin at his grey-furred brother next to him. "Thanks for coming along, Rudy! I'm sorry we haven't gotten to hang out a lot lately. Mom's kept me busy with training."

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-25-2020, 01:52 AM
Walk | "Talk" | think

Rudy nodded.  “I like it.  It just proves Bandit’s not scared of anything.  He’ll be a good fighter even if he is small.” Rudy’s eyes rotated up again to the sky, “Had you seen the other friend I got?  She had got her feet trapped in some crack and sticks in the ground.  When I got her free she just decided to stay around.  I don’t know what her name is, so I’ll have to figure out a name for her.  She doesn’t talk like Bandit.  Maybe a good thing.” The last part said with a grin.

Rudy moved to sit directly next to Art, looking out at the ocean with him.  “Ya dummy, ‘course I wanted to come out here with you.  Don’t need to thank me for that one.  Besides, I’ve been super busy also.” A pause before adding, "but if you ever want me I'm not 'that' busy, so you grab me whenever.  We are a team, the best, always."

Rudy shoved his shoulder lightly into Art’s, “when we get just a little bigger we should swim out a little way and see if we can see the other land in the distance? I mean it could be closer than it looks.” His eyes looked down at the white foam that would come up so close, a twinkle in the eye as his thoughts went to slipping just a ways into the water.  He might behave and not try to swim, but what about just going in a little ways?  Where there feet still were easily balanced in the sand?  That couldn't hurt anything right?

The thought faded as something else came up, “Hey Art, have you spent any time with Tika yet? You know, other than us all just sleeping together in the den.”

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

12-25-2020, 04:02 AM

With Rudyard's comment about Bandit being a good fighter, Artorias tore his gaze from the ocean to glance back over his shoulder at the little ornery critter lingering just by the tree line. He had to admit, it was very handy to have companions assisting with their strengths. Plus he was grateful to have someone to keep an eye on his little brother while he was busy doing his trainings. He glanced up into the sky to find Rudy's hawk as well, spotting her circling overhead and riding the coastal air drifts above their heads. Birds were so useful to have around, something he was quickly learning from Corbin. Although they had only known each other for a few days, something told Artorias that his friendship with the raven would prove invaluable further on down the line. Plus, it was a huge black raven following him and using him as a perch, how cool was that?! "That was a good thing you were able to help her," he agreed, smiling at Rudy. His brother had always had a large caring heart. Artorias was far more guarded with his feelings, but Rudy wore his heart on his sleeve. Sometimes the boy envied that about him.

"Okay, deal," Artorias said in response to Rudy offering to drop whatever he was doing to hang out. He appreciated Rudy's candid attitude toward their new responsibilities. It made him feel less guilty for being so focused on his studies and training knowing that Rudyard was also fully engaged in his own work. But no matter how busy the two brothers ever got in their lives, Artorias vowed he would always make time for Rudyard. He was his best friend, after all! "Always," he replied to Rudy without missing a beat. Surely they would always be the best of friends. That's what brothers were for, right? Artorias had been so wrapped up in his own thoughts that Rudy's nudge startled him a bit, the pup blinking in surprise and nearly missing his words. He laughed, then said with a smirk, "Even if we were the best swimmers in the world, I think that looks a little too far out. But y'know, Outlaw has that thing that floats on water. Maybe he can show us how to make one so we can find out for ourselves!" Of course, a puppy had no knowledge of the logistics required to sail the open ocean, but in his fanciful mind, Artorias could see himself and Rudyard sailing the seas to seek new lands and new wolves. Would they be wolves in other lands, or some other kinds of creatures entirely?

As if subconsciously sharing Rudy's thoughts, Artorias decided to take one bold step forward, then another, then another until all four of his paws where just being lapped at by the rippling waves as they collided with the shore. Behind them, He and She released a series of shrill whines, causing Artorias to turn back to them with a glare. "I'm not technically in the water, I'm still on the beach!" he snapped back, and a quick swoop past them by Corbin got the jackals to settle down, though they kept the dark-furred boy fixed with pointed stares. Artorias stuck his tongue out at them, then continued to walk just along the edge of the damp sand and water. Rudy's question perked his ears up, then made them fall flat to his head again while he tried to mask his sour feelings behind a mask of impassivity.

"Hmm, who? You mean Avantika, the new girl?" He had heard Rudy and Bowen call her Tika before, but it seemed much too much an intimate nickname for him to address her as such. He looked away from Rudy, keeping his eyes either down on his paws sinking into the sand or out over the shimmering water. "No, not really. She's kinda quiet and keeps to herself, just like the other boy... Grimshaw, I think is his name? How come?" Neither pup had made an effort to talk to him, but that was fine, since he hadn't exactly made an effort to reach out to them either. Artorias didn't exactly know how he felt about either child or how to process or voice what he was feeling. He was sure he'd have to talk to them sooner or later, but it still left a bitter taste in his mouth and dark thoughts in his head that he didn't like to discuss or dwell on.

One big happy family

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-25-2020, 04:47 AM

Rudy nodded confirming he had already known that of course, Art would agree with them being there for each other.  Art wasn’t a dreamer, he couldn’t see past what was in front of their eyes, and thus he couldn’t see beyond the impossibility of swimming far in the water.  Rudy believed anything could be done if one just figured out how to make it happen.  Then Art gave him the answer!  A thing that floats on water?  “Huh, I didn’t know that.” Rudy’s face scrunched up thoughtfully.  So if we were floating on the water we wouldn’t be in the water and not breaking mom’s rules then!”  Funny how the thoughts of ways around wolves dashed through his mind.  “We definitely need to find out more about that!”  

Rudy grinned as Art got out to where the water covered his paws and quickly followed suit with a laugh.  It was even great to hear Art be the one to tell them to shut up. “It’s not like this is some sudden deep pool we are going to fall into!” That said Rudy glanced down at how foamy water washed over his paws and how the sand was a different color in the water.  “Hey, Hey Art look at this!” Rudy nudged a crab with his paw watching how it skittered away deeper into the water.  “The shell had eyes and walked on its own!”  Rudy took a step closer to where it went and gave the jackals a scowl.  “My knee’s aren’t even touching the water!  I won’t go further.  Just wanted to see the walking shell.”

By this point, Bandit had made his way down.  The little devil hunched his back up and showed all his teeth at the jackals as he walked past in a wary and distrustful manner.  It was certainly a tense moment of pissed off jackals and threatening little devil, but it kept moving.  The little black creature walked out into the surf past the pups and right into the water that came in and then sucked up whatever got out far enough.  It was swimming!

“Art Art look! Bandit’s in the water!  He’s on top of it too!”  Rudy had his tail high wagging it appreciatively that his new companion could do that.  

Rudy was more than a bit surprised at his brother’s reaction in regards to Tika.  “She’s quiet cause she’s scared,” Rudy’s voice turned softer, eyes downcast as he moved up to where Art was.  “Something’s really wrong with her Art.  She’s terrified and it's not right.” Rudy gave his brother a quiet pleading look to not be so aloof on it.  “She really is nice if you get to know her, and so needy.  It’s like… like,” Rudy shook his head, “I think something really bad happened to her Art, while she wasn’t here.  I’m trying to help her, to make her know it's safe here.”

Rudy raised his head up taking on his more normal confident attitude, “anyway, she wants to learn how to fight and she needs to be around more friendly pups who can help her come out of her shell.” Art could probably see where this was going.  “I had to work with her just to get her confident enough to try and look intimidating and growl.  When I told her to lunge at me she closed her eyes while doing it!” A smirk looking at his brother, “Of course, I’m not as good of a fighter as someone I know.  I bet they could help with more detailed instruction.  I want to teach her confidence but I need someone else to teach her how to defend herself.  I bet that would help gain confidence.”

Rudy’s then sat, the surf washing over his rump and tail, “Art, we will lead this pack someday.” Back to the leading again, “and I know how I want this pack to be.  Outside has dangers you and I haven’t seen yet.  Some terrible things have to be out there.  I understand what moms talk about what our pack is for now.  She’s here because she needed us.  It’s our job to help her heal.  I have a picture in my mind of how the pack should look.  No one fearful is in it in my mind, so I have to make that happen here.” The words were firm, not directed at what Art needed to do know or his feelings about Tika, this was his own sort of vow of what he would do.

“Oh, yah Grimshaw’s a jerk.” There was no argument to that, “but it turns out his mom’s dead and he feels like it's his fault.  Still a jerk, but I guess it's enough to not feel like he should be thrown out.  He gets a chance to heal and learn to quit being a jerk.  If he doesn’t then I’ll put him in his place, if he does well, maybe we won’t think of him as sourly as both of us do.”  

Rudy had put a lot of thought into the big picture lately.  He had exhausted himself at times just from how hard he worked his brain instead of his body.  It had been important to him so there it was.  This was Rudyard's pack and he would not let there be any bad things in it.

"Rudyard"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

12-27-2020, 02:47 AM

Artorias turned back to Rudyard when his brother called for him, his eyes following Rudy's paw until he saw the small shell he was pointing at. He cocked his head to the side quizzically; what was so special about a she- oh goodness the shell was moving! Wide puppy eyes followed the hermit crab as it tried to scurry away from Rudy. "Whoa! It's so small!" he exclaimed, hurrying over to observe the hermit crab enter the shallow water and disappear somewhere beneath the surf. He looked up again when Rudy called; everything was happening all at once now! He giggled while he watched Bandit begin to swim in the shallow water. He had no idea the little marsupial paddle about in the water! "Oh wow, look at him go! I didn't know he could swim!" It made Artorias so desperate to go further into the water, but the anxious whines of He and She back on the shore reminded him that they were under constant surveillance. They had to behave.

While Rudy spoke of Avantika's situation and her aspirations, Artorias remained silent, listening and taking to heart everything his brother was relaying. He loved and trusted Rudy, and if he felt she was a good wolf, he had no reason to doubt that. Blue paws waded slowly through the receding waves, swatting at the surface with a splash, idle actions while he listened. A quick glance up caught Rudy giving him a pleading look, softer than the usual cocksure attitude the boy carried himself with. That was different, and it meant that Rudy was 100% serious about this. Artorias pressed his lips together while he let his brother's words stew inside his mind. Rudy was very empathetic towards Avantika—so much so that he began to wonder if perhaps his brother had a puppy crush on her. The thought made him smirk, but he kept his thoughts to himself for the time being.

As for himself, Artorias still saw Avantika and Grimshaw as unwelcome and unwanted additions to their family. They were not his siblings by blood or by choice. They were two strangers that had been dropped into their home without their consent and forced to interact together. Why? Why had Mom and Mama done this to them? Weren't the five of them enough? Was there something they were lacking that they looked for in these replacement pups? It was these dark thoughts that had prevented Artorias from willingly interacting with either of them, keeping to himself and his own siblings instead. He didn't want this; he hadn't asked for this. How was any of that fair?

Of course Artorias knew where Rudyard was going with this conversation the moment he mentioned his attempts to teach Avantika how to fight. The dark-furred boy sighed and reclined his head until he was staring up at blue sky. Of course Rudy was going to ask him to help train the girl. Rudy went on to mention how, as future leaders, they had to provide to those that needed them. It was annoying how right he knew the dappled grey puppy was deep down. The Hallows was a place of healing and protection—a sanctuary for all walks of life. Art's jealousy and bitterness was still fresh, but maybe spending some time with Avantika would help him clear his eyes of the discontent. Artorias had not said anything in a long while, just letting Rudy say his piece while he contemplated how he wanted to respond. That was a fundamental difference between the two Hallows boys: Rudy was impulsive and quick with his mouth, Art was more calm and considered everything before making a move.

"I didn't say Grimshaw should be kicked out," he was quick to point out. He didn't like when words were put in his mouth. "But I don't like him. I don't like the way he looks at Bo, like she's some sort of prize or something that belongs to him." Artorias had seen the way they interacted in the den. Bowen had been sweet and friendly to him, as she was to everyone, but after that, Grimshaw's eyes were always on her, watching her every move, following her and staying near her. It made Artorias' hackles raise at the memories. He did not trust Grim, especially not around his little sister, not with the way he was behaving. Orphan or not, he rubbed the young wolf the wrong way, and it would take more than a sob story to get him to welcome the orphan into his home. "Avantika hasn't done anything wrong though, so I guess I can see if she wants to train with me. Really, you'd probably be better asking Mom to help train her too, or Dunkan. They're the better fighters, and I'm still learning." It was a humble response—humble, but true. Art didn't know if he was capable to teaching anyone anything yet, but if she just needed someone to hang out with and train with, he could do that. Maybe it would help him warm up to the idea of her as a sister too.

Artorias turned back to Rudy finally with a teasing grin on his face. "You seem awfully sweet on that Avantika girl, Rudy. Is there something I should know about?" he asked, an upward, playful inflection in the end of his sentence as he playfully splashed some water at his brother. Of course there was nothing serious in his teasing. Girls were still weird and the idea of romance was icky in Artorias' mind, and he couldn't picture Rudyard dating anyone anyway. It wasn't going to stop him from trying to embarrass his brother anyway.

One big happy family

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

01-16-2021, 11:55 PM
Walk | "Talk" | think

Art still meant more to Rudy than any of the other pups, which made it all the more important Art agree with him on Tika.  It was true Rudy rushed into things once he decided on a course of action but he did pay attention to what some others thought of his antics.  Not to say he would change his plans but if anyone could make him think twice it would be Art.  So if Art was his second half that meant it was important to bring Art to his way of thinking on Tika.  Grimshaw was an afterthought.  A bitter taste in his mouth that was necessary to speak for in his mind, but one that he wouldn’t miss should it leave.

“Nope, you didn’t,” responded to Art’s comment on Grim, “but there are times I wish he would be.”  They were off pack land so he could speak openly.  Glancing down at the sand he kicked a bit up from its resting place to watch it make a tiny ‘splish’ as it went right back under the water.  Sand was heavier in the water when all wet.  “On one hand I’d wish he’d leave and on the other, I feel like it's wrong of me to feel like that.  Then I feel like I should help and its well, weird.”  Try to help the ass even if he labeled as one.  Being a self-proclaimed future leader was hard.  It had also been kind of horrible listening to Grim speak of what had happened.  Rudy didn’t like thinking about the other realities outside pack life and how bad it could be.

The brighter subject came when it went to talking about Tika.  Rudy wanted her to stay.  Tika was meaningful in some adopted-sister sort of fashion.  “Yup, she should train with mom!” Rudy nodded his head in complete agreeance, “and with you.”  His normal sort of happy confidence now back in his tone.  Art would be perfect for what Rudy wanted her to learn. “See, she doesn’t need to be a great fighter.  Well, unless she wants to be.  She needs to learn it's safe here and to not be so shy of others.  That means she needs someone I completely trust and who has a real good heart.” Rudy gave Art an open mouth grin, as they both knew whom he was talking about.  

Art turned the tables on him with the teasing on Tika. “Huh?” Artorias had caught Rudy off guard on that one, the grey motley boy hadn’t thought of this side effect. Rudy wrinkled his nose up, leaning his upper half away from Art in mock disgust.  “Uhhuh, you should.” Rudy dug his paw deep into the sand that was buried under the water and then kicked upright towards Art’s face, “never let your guard down!”

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

01-20-2021, 10:22 PM

Rudyard continued to butter him up, hinting at what Avantika needed being someone she can relate to with a good heart. He shot his brother a knowing smirk; he was wise to Rudy's trickery and knew what he was up to. It was also working. Besides, if Avantika wasn't going anywhere, he might as well get to know her better. Even if she wasn't a sister by blood, she had at least tried to incorporate herself within their family better than that brooding miserable jerk Grimshaw had. The least he could do was offer to train with her a bit and practice sparring, since they would both benefit from it. His thoughts were interrupted however when Rudy suddenly flung a pawful of wet sand up at his face. Artorias yelped out in surprise, and fortunately managed to close his eyes to shield them of the sand and saltwater spray, but still got clumps of the sand all across his face. He wasted no time in ducking his head beneath the water to quickly rinse off the sand, popping back up and shooting Rudy a playful glare.

"Oh, you wanna go, Rudy? Then let's go!" he remarked, kicking up a splash of water back at his brother and leaping at him. The water wasn't very high above their paws, so he wasn't afraid of a bit of a scuffle in the ocean, but it did offer some different resistance to all of their movements, requiring more strength to make their motions and attacks. Artorias lunged for Rudy, paws aiming to wrap around the dappled grey boy's neck in a grapple. If he was able to get his paws around him, Artorias would go to bite at the side of Rudy's neck, wanting to get as many points of contact on him as possible.

Artorias vs Rudyard for Spar
Round 1/2
Size: Extra large
Build: Medium
Offensive Battle Accessory: Wooden sword
Defensive Battle Accessory: Leather harness armor
Companion 1: Common raven, Male - Flying
Skills: Advanced Fighter & Novice Navigator
Specialty: N/A

One big happy family

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

01-23-2021, 02:14 AM

Rudy wouldn’t label his words trickery, well not always though admittedly they were being used to try and lure Art into agreeing with him.  Why wouldn’t people choose to accept his logic?  Wasn’t it always sound?  The ‘trick’ part was just to make sure he could get the wolves open-minded to listen and fall into his logic.  

Art’s glare was met with a playful challenging grin.  Art had deserved it for that teasing!  “That’s what you get for teasing me! I’m future alpha of the hallows!” Boldly proclaimed.  Of course, Rudy had also labeled Art as a future alpha but, it was fun to proudly state.

Rudy was ready for the water splash, hopping back out of the way.  However, he hadn’t hopped back far enough to completely avoid Art’s attack.  Rudy had intended to turn sideways and leap out of the way but the water was slowing motion.  It did save him from fully getting Art’s paws around his neck, instead of one finding his shoulder.   Rudy turned his head attempting to bite at Art’s neck, but lunging in again finding that the water was making his motions less graceful than he’d prefer.

Rudyard vs Artorias for spar
Round 1/2
Size: Large
Defensive Battle Accessory: Caiman hide armor
Companion 1: Tasmanian devil, Male - Battle
Companion 2: Red-tailed hawk, Female - Flying
Skills: Beginner Fighter & Intermediate Hunter

"Rudyard"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

01-24-2021, 09:48 PM

Oh, he was pulling the future alpha card again, was he? Well then, it was time to put the future alpha to a test! Artorias, intent on forcing Rudy to put his money where his mouth was, didn't hold back. Although he had been unable to grab Rudyard by the neck, his paw did make contact with his brother's shoulder, allowing the dark-furred boy to grab at his brother with puppy claws, aiming to grapple with him where he could use his larger size and weight to try and leverage Rudy into a pin. The water was thankfully shallow, so he didn't have to worry about risking drowning him unintentionally or anything, but it was still enough to prohibit their movements and make battle require a bit more forethought. Although Art loved the water, he didn't think he'd ever want to try fighting in it again—but it was still good practice all the same.

Artorias saw Rudy's mouth go for his neck and twisted his body to the side, moving his neck just out of reach, but the water prevented him from completely avoiding Rudy's attack, feeling his brother's teeth find purchase on his jaw. Unable to snap back in their current position, Artorias threw all his weight toward Rudy, hoping that a good grip and the slippery nature of the underwater sand might be enough to get Rudy down.

Artorias vs Rudyard for Spar
Round 2/2
Size: Extra large
Offensive Battle Accessory: Wooden sword
Defensive Battle Accessory: Leather harness armor
Companion 1: Common raven, Male - Flying
Skills: Advanced Fighter & Novice Navigator

One big happy family

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

01-26-2021, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 12:46 AM by Rudyard.)

It felt like time slowed down as Rudy struggled to balance when Art attempted to grapple with him.  This wouldn’t have seemed nearly so hard on dry land, of course, Art had the same problem as Rudy did right now.  Rudy felt the sand and water slip out from under his back feet and his rump hit the sand, back getting soak as he tenaciously tried to hang on to Art’s jaw.

Rudy attempted to get his own paws around Art’s neck to draw him down alongside where they would both be off their feet.  If it worked he’d go for a bite to the throat, and if it didn’t work Rudy was sure he’d lose.  It was a last-ditch effort at a win.  Fighting in the water was kind of fun so either way, it worked.

Rudyard vs Artorias for spar
Round 2/2
Size: Large
Defensive Battle Accessory: Caiman hide armor
Companion 1: Tasmanian devil, Male - Battle
Companion 2: Red-tailed hawk, Female - Flying
Skills: Advanced Fighter & Advanced Hunter

"Rudyard"

The Judge

Administrator

gems
size
-
build
-
player
02-06-2021, 07:59 PM

And the winner is...

ARTORIAS

RUDYARD must give up by submitting, fleeing or passing out.

Totals:

ARTORIAS

Rolls: 70, 26, 42, 39
Adjusted rolls: 80.5, 29.9, 44.1, 42.9
Total: 197.40

RUDYARD

Rolls: 27, 39, 49, 22
Adjusted rolls: 33.75, 44.85, 49, 24.2
Total: 129.03

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

02-07-2021, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2021, 12:18 AM by Artorias.)

As soon as Artorias began to pitch his weight forward toward Rudy, he felt his brother's paws come up to his neck, but it was already too late. The combination of momentum and the slipping, shifting sand sent the boys tumbling in the direction Artorias had wanted, and Rudy's paws only slipped harmlessly off of his shoulders. Splash! In a cascade of clear, salty water, Artorias felt his equilibrium balance out and a squishy form pinned beneath his paws. He shook the sea spray from his damp face, amber eyes peering down through the shallow water to see he had pinned Rudy under him. He had won!

But Artorias' victory was short-lived when he realized he was holding his brother fully beneath the surface of the water with no way to get out or submit. The triumphant expression on his face vanished immediately, and taking a deep breath, Art dove his head into the water. The saltwater stung at his eyes a bit, but he focused through the uncomfortable sensation to find Rudy's scruff and grab it in his jaws, pulling his grey brother back up with another splash of water. Once Rudy's head was above the surface again, he backed up to give him some room to catch his breath, the blue pup breathing hard as well from a combination of their scuffle and having to "rescue" his brother from accidentally drowning him.

"I'm sorry, Rudy! I didn't mean to shove you down like that!" he apologized in a worried flurry of words. "Are you okay? I didn't hurt you, did I?" Even though he had won their epic aquatic battle, the win would feel hollow if it came at the cost of harming his brother and his best friend.

One big happy family

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

02-07-2021, 09:06 PM
Walk | "Talk" | think

Rudy’s plan had failed! He felt himself falling back, hitting the water and then a weight on top of him.  Rudy had instinctively tried to get up out of the water for air and felt a moment of fear run down his spine when that didn’t work.  He forced it down that overly fast heartbeat later to remind himself what had happened. Oh man, if he died Art would never forgive himself.  Rudy also had never had to hold his breath before, it just wasn’t a natural thing to consider and after the fighting and emotional burst, his mouth opened just as Art yanked him out of the water.

Poor Art had to wait on the answer to his questions.  Rudy hacked, opened his mouth wide, teeth visible as he coughed out the water that had flooded his mouth that half-second earlier.  Had Art noticed the fear? Hopefully not.  In reality that couldn’t have been long at all, right? A few seconds? Those moments of fear had felt longer than that somehow.  Oh well, hacking up water hid the nerves pretty well probably.  For good measure, he did one more hack than needed as he calmed down.

After a bit he shut his mouth, licking the rim a bit and scrunching up his nose. “Yuck, ya know it don’t taste good. Ew.” Great first reactions to those questions but surely Art could tell he was ok by that? “It’s ok Art, I’m fine.” Rudy braced his feet to shake out his totally soaked coat.  “Guess we better not rush back to fast or mom will think I went swimming and then I’ll be in a lot worse trouble than that.”  Rudy even managed to give his brother a lopsided grin to prove he was fine.

Dang, ok admittedly his heart was still hammering a bit inside of him.  Rudy was avoiding the question in his mind what if Art had taken a few seconds longer to notice?  How much water can you swallow and still gag up later?  Maybe, just maybe this was why mom told them not to go into the pools?

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

02-07-2021, 09:51 PM

Rudy began coughing and hacking up a mouthful of water, spiking Artorias' adrenaline and nerves. Oh no, what had he done?! Was Rudy okay? Could he breathe all right? What was he going to do if Rudy was choking? He couldn't get his parents down here in time to help! The panicked look that had been in Rudy's eyes when he pulled him from the water was burned into his mind, and although he didn't say anything out loud, he wouldn't be able to forget what he'd nearly done. Artorias stood beside Rudy while his brother cleared his lungs of any excess water, giving him a shoulder to lean on if he needed it and making sure the dappled grey pup stayed above the water this time.

Artorias' nerves only finally began to settle down once Rudy spoke, letting him know he was okay, but also making a snarky comment about the water not tasting great. Art gave a relieved laugh and bumped his head into Rudyard's shoulder in a nuzzle, his heart still racing with worry. "I'm really sorry, Rudy, I didn't mean to take you down like that in the water," he apologized again, the guilt still twisting his stomach in knots. He turned his eyes to the nearby shore and nudged Rudy towards it. "I think that's enough playing in the water. Let's hang out on the beach and dry off before we go home. Don't want Mom or Mama getting upset at us."

All the way back to the beach, Art stood beside his brother, making sure he was okay every step of the way until the water receded to golden sun-baked sand. He peered up at He and She, watching the two jackals staring at them with grim expressions on their faces. Thank the gods they didn't speak or else he was sure they'd both be in huge trouble. He still couldn't believe he'd almost killed his brother! How could he do that to Rudy?! The expression on Art's face spoke volumes for the guilt and dread and worry he was still feeling, and the boy just prayed that Rudyard would be okay.

One big happy family

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

02-07-2021, 10:43 PM
Walk | "Talk" | think

Oh man, now Art was all worked up, maybe Rudy shouldn’t have done that last gag. “Ah c’mon Art,” Rudy turned to one side so he could give Art a playful whack with his tail.  “I’m just fine.”  Other than the fact gagging up that water left him feeling a bit queasy.  Ok, maybe he’d been a litter scared but had Art realized it? Rudy had tried not to let him see it, shoot Art probably saw it.  

Rudy was rolling his eyes inwardly at his brother's level of protectiveness over him.  It had all worked out and it was an accident so he should let it go!  Rudy did give the two jackals a wary face for a moment then a charming grin and friendly tail wag as if to buy them over into secrecy.  A part of Rudy’s mind cruelly imagined falling down and playing dead but fortunately, he was aware enough of his brothers suffering not to do that to him.  It would have been fun for Rudy but terrible for Art.  Laying down did sound good though so after they got far up enough on the sand he lay down stretching out.  “Art, you look terrible.  It’s fine, not like I was in any real danger, hacking up some water ain’t fun and it tastes lousy but it's not like I was gonna die or anything.”  Ok so maybe it had been kinda dangerous, but he needed Art to not be having nightmares for the next week over this.

Rudy let out a content sigh, rolling over so his belly was up in the air feeling the sun's rays on it.  His coat was now thoroughly covered in sand as it clung to his wet coat

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (837)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

02-10-2021, 12:14 AM

With Rudyard's reassuring words, Artorias was able to break the grim expression on his face with a little smile. He still watched his brother with a cautious look for a few moments though, making sure he was truly okay. Even if Rudy was fine, he had been the one to put him in that position, unintentionally or otherwise. He was supposed to be the one protecting his family, not putting them in danger. It would take him a moment to gather his nerves back up again, but he would do it. "I know you are, I just..." You just what? Nearly drowned him? "...I wanted to be sure. Mom would beat me something fierce if I hurt you." After a minute had passed, Art allowed himself to relax as well, flopping back to the warm sand, belly up like his brother to let the warmth absorb all of the water from his damp fur. "We gotta look out for each other anyway, right?" He looked over at Rudy with a much more genuine smile this time. "So this is me looking out for you. I gotta make sure you're completely okay."

On his back, Artorias stared up at the bright blue sky with only a few white clouds rolling by overhead. Despite the momentary panic, he did really like the beach and the ocean. The smell of salt on the air, the gentle rhythm of the waves on the shore, and the occasional cry of gulls breaking the white noise. Everything was just so... relaxing. Natural and peaceful. "I'll talk to Avantika," he said after a few moments of relaxing on the beach, not turning away from staring at the sky while he spoke and pondered. "If she's as nice as you say, I guess I can try to be her brother too. If she wants to, that is." Artorias wasn't going to try and force her into interacting if she didn't want to. He wasn't that kind of wolf.

One big happy family