An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-09-2021, 12:44 AM

The small, rolling hills that make up the bone yard were a sight to behold. Under any other circumstance, on any other day, Fern might have enjoyed it here. However, with each limping step shooting agony through her right shoulder, the gray girl is only focused on one thing; reaching the Hallows land. The colorful dog that accompanies her had given name along their trek and Fern looks over to Kione with a tight smile. Trying to sound happy, she says, “We should be there soon.” With that she turns her eyes back to the space ahead of them and walks.

Fern feels great trepidation at returning to the Hallows. Worry settling over her as she wonders if Art or Rudyard will be mad at her. The Aegis had left Rudyard’s care in her paws and she had run away. Sure, there were other circumstances that played a part in her leaving (namely the illness and the fact that Rudy bit her) but do they count? The worried thoughts pull her attention away from the pain and sets her mind to adrift for a bit. Her continues to walk but her mind resides elsewhere.

When they crest a hill and start down the other side, Fern shakes herself mentally, focusing back on the present. At the bottom of the hill, the land evens out stretching out and becoming a grass plain. In the distance the castle’s silhouette can be seen, mighty and regal against the bright noon day sun. Fern’s heart flutters as she sees the castle in the sun for the first time. When Rudy had first brought her here, the world had been in a constant state of twilight. Somehow, the sun makes the castle appear even grander than before. When the slope ends and the plains start, Fern pulls up short to look at Kione.

A genuine smile of gratitude appears as she says, “Thank you Kione. Thank you for everything.” With that, standing on the borders of The Hallows land, Fern tips her gray head back and releases a howl. She asks for permission to enter and receive aid, while announcing who she is. When she is finished, Fern sits down heavily, her tired body slides her gently down onto her belly. Curling her right leg tight to her chest, the gray girl rests while waiting for permission to enter.

"Speech"

Fern has a female stoat companion named Puff. She is always nearby.

Kione

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Shard
12-09-2021, 01:02 AM

Kione was fine with letting the grey girl keep to her own thoughts.  He’d walk silently beside her, offering himself as her brace.  Occasionally he’d check her shoulder, a sniff possibly and then licking away any bits of dirt, making sure most of her fur was flattened away from the injury so it remained clean.  He didn’t know anything about how to heal wounds but he knew to keep them clean.  

It was a more sedate pace than he’d generally do, especially with someone to keep him company but that someone was injured and clearly troubled so the time was hers.  That left Kione with his own memories and that was its own bitter brew to drink.  Visions of his pack, the higher-pitched sounds they spoke in when planning to go hunting contrasted with the deeper sounds of the wolves' voices.  The large numbers they hunted with and the fun of it all versus calling it work.
When Fern spoke up and the castle was there Kione swatted away the cobweb of memories in his own mind   “No problem luv,” the easy response to the thanks.  He wasn’t rushing off just yet though.  She made it sound like these were nice folks and Kione imagined that meant it would be a safe enough spot to sleep for the night if they’d let him in.  Fighting a bear then being her personal brace on the journey back it would be nice to take a nap behind those walls.  Kione grinned to himself in amusement at the idea of staying with a bunch of wolves for an evening.

Well, why not?  So far they’d proved not to be so bad.  They were strange in some ways but they probably thought he was also.  So the colorful dog waited patiently with Fern. “I’ll see you in once we’re allowed.  Might take a nap here myself if they don’t mind.”

"Speech"

[Image: vG9tCXw.png?1]
[Image: 7bkN6k5.gif]

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
12-11-2021, 04:59 PM

Every sunrise felt like a blessing in the wake of the Long Night. The healing of the world would be slow, but it was consistent. Artorias walked slowly through the castle gardens, observing the flowerbeds and trees now free of any crystal or mushroom growths. The plant life had returned in full force, vitality he had been afraid would be sapped by the curse coming back as if it had never left. The rest of his wolves were healing too—slowly but surely—at least those that weren't permanently crippled by the events that transpired in the dark. The young alpha frowned when he thought of Laeta and Audra, left paralyzed and half blind for the rest of their lives. Whatever they needed in their lives, the Hallows would provide for them. No wolf would suffer under his care and protection, no matter if the threat was corporeal of ethereal.

A call for him in a familiar yet unexpected voice came from the southern border, widening Artorias' fire-kissed eyes when he heard it. Fern. She'd run off in the middle of the Long Night unannounced, and despite his best attempts to get information, Rudyard had given him little. All he knew was that something had happened and she'd fled from the Hallows, but for the life of him, Artorias couldn't think of what would compel her to leave the safety of the pack for the terrors in the night. The dark-furred brute wasted no time, running through the gatehouse and across the southern plains to find the monochromatic girl looking a mess. She was covered in blood and dirt, her right shoulder shredded with large slashed carving through muscle like a knife through a side of beef. At her side was a strange looking canid of sorts, and judging from his size, was not the culprit of the harm done to her. Good—he wouldn't have to kill this stranger.

"Fern!" Artorias called while he hurried up to her, looking over the damage done to her with a grimace of worry. It did not look good. "By the gods, what happened?! Where did you go? Why did you leave the Hallows?" A flurry of questions flooded his mind for her, but when he looked at the stranger, only one came to his lips. "Who are you?" Defenses were up, but the Aegis could hardly be blamed when a runaway guest was brought back bloodied and beaten by a stranger.

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Argent"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-11-2021, 06:46 PM

As Fern lays on the border in the soft grass, her eyes keep trying to drift closed. Her body is exhausted as it tries to heal from the strange illness that had gripped the land and now has to divert resources to the open wounds on her shoulder. It is a losing battle as her eyelids once more slip downward as the pull of sleep calls to her. It promises to take away the pain and calm the chaotic thoughts that clutter her mind. With Kione staying close, Fern feels safe and she decides to sleep... just for a few moments. Letting out a soft sigh, Fern allows her eyelids to close.

However, the sound of running paws pulls her from the brink of sleep and causes Fern to blink open blurry eyes. The tired girl lifts her head from the ground, blinking rapid to clear her vision as she sees a form rushing toward the pair. When the form resolves into the Aegis of the Hallows, Fern huffs a sigh of relief before fear quickly seizes her heart. Thoughts tumble and turn as Fern how angry Artorias will be and if hates her for running away. As the Aegis approaches, the panic is quickly dashed as Fern sees concern in his fiery eyes.

Confusion settles over the wounded wolf as she tries to understand why he is not upset with her. When the giant wolf says her name, a feeling flutters in her chest briefly. Something she thought she would never find again… a sense of belonging. The questions are fired at her rapidly and her pain muddled mind tries to keep up as her jaw drops open. He… he really cares about her. When Art turns to Kione to ask who he is, Fern takes the opportunity to try and collect herself, closing her hanging jaw and contemplating exactly what to say.

For so long she hidden how she truly feels, used masks to divert attention from the open wounds on her soul. Her first instinct is to slip the mask of indifference back in place but Fern realizes she cannot hide her feels from Art. For the first time, in what seems like ages, Fern allows him to see the true Fern. Tears pool in her eyes as she looks up at the leader, hoping, yearning to be allowed to come home. With a tremble in her voice, Fern begins, “I was attacked by a grizzly bear. Kione saved my life.” Nodding her head toward the wild dog, Fern drops her gaze as she continues, “I… I had to leave Artorias. When I was watching over your brother… well the illness made me say things that I didn’t mean. He got mad at me and when I tried to stop him from hurting himself… he bit me.”

There is more to the story and Fern cannot say fill in Rudyard’s part as to why he bit her but it is a start. Fern’s left paw absently raises to rub her left cheek, remembering the stinging wounds and her stinging eyes as she fled the infirmary in tears. The wounds have healed and fur covers the light scars on her cheek, hiding away the signs of the bit. However, there is a thick scar on her left upper lip where one of Rudy’s teeth had split the delicate skin. The scars offer no physical pain, only serving as a mental reminder of her short comings.

The paw falls back to the ground as she pulls in a large breath, her panicked aqua eyes once more searching for Art’s fire-kissed gaze. Fern rushes through the next part, “I… I was very sick and I thought I was useless to the Hallows since I don’t know how to fight. I left because I thought I was going to die and didn’t want to bother anyone. I… I…” The tears that have been pooling slip free to slid down her gray cheeks as she fumbles with her words, trying hard to think of what Art wants to hear from her. She had messed up, that much she knew, but what magic words does she need to say to be allowed back in?

With tears falling from her eyes, sadness and shame written plainly on her features, Fern feels the pain in her shoulder flare. A small whimper escapes as she says, “I’m sorry. Can… can I please come in?” The last words are pleaded to the Aegis and, while Fern is asking to be allowed aid, there is also a deep, unspoken, longing to be allowed to come home.

"Fern"

Kione

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Shard
12-11-2021, 07:14 PM

Kione was content to patiently wait for someone to answer the call, his eyes looked over thoughtfully to the castle walls.  When he glanced down and spotted Fern closing her eyes he nudged the wolf's jaw gently, “Easy there.  Let’s make sure it's alright for you to sleep first.”

His head raised up as he spotted another one of those giant-sized wolves running up.  Kione was a perfectly reasonable size among his own kind but some of these wolves made him seem like a young pup again by size comparison.  The blue wolf’s reaction to spotting the injured wolf wasn’t what the wild dog had expected from Fern’s description of relationship.  This was a place where ‘wolves gave aid’ but not a family?  

Kione waited in relaxed silence, listening to the questions Art pelted the injured girl with.  The more words the more obvious he’d been worried for her.  Art’s question was filled with passion which Kione could respect for the situation but before Kione could answer Fern was explaining what had happened.  Kione was likewise curious of the part that came before she had met up with him.  Ah.  The colorful dog had a pretty good idea of things now.

Considering Fern had already stated how they met there was no reason to explain that part.  Kione twitched a lip in a faint smile, “Lass did her part as well against the bear, just needs a bit more experience to be a ruff tough bear killer.” The words were said to Art yet clearly also meant as some encouragement to the lady.  “So friend, how about we settle her in somewhere and I’ll share anything else you like?  As the lass said, I’m Kione.  No one special to speak of.” True enough, no family, no fancy status, the answer was short as there wasn’t much to give.  

A glance back to Fern, “Your lucky Luv, looks like you got a good family here worried for ya.”  

"Kione"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
12-13-2021, 01:59 AM

Watching Fern gather up the remnants of her strength to explain what had happened was both a pitiful and remarkable sight. Her strength of will and indomitable spirit persevered even when her body was broken and weak. Artorias just prayed she wasn't too far past mending. That shoulder looked grim. Tears welled up in Fern's eyes while she told Artorias what had happened, who her companion was, and how he had saved her and brought her back here. When she claimed she had to leave, the Aegis' brow furrowed in profound confusion. She had to leave? That didn't make any sense to him, and he was about to say just that when Fern elaborated. Her response caused Artorias' heart to miss a beat. Rudy had attacked her? His brother hadn't told him that little detail when he'd said Fern had run off. True, the entire pack had been wound tight and dealing with the disease in their own ways, but for his brother to just attack another wolf...? He'd have to have a long talk with Rudyard about honesty after this.

Artorias' expression stiffened some when Fern tried to justify herself with an explanation that she felt useless to the pack since she didn't know how to fight. The dire wolf sighed, shoulders drooping with the effort, and he stole a quick glance back over his shoulder to his pack behind him. The Hallows had never been built to be a place of fighters. It was a place of healing and sanctuary. Yes, warriors preserved that shelter, just as the physicians preserved the medical services, but the world wasn't black and white and neither was the Hallows. A whimper from Fern brought Artorias' attention snapping back to the blood-soaked fae in an instant. He saw the tears falling from her eyes. He saw the helpless look begging him in her gaze. He heard her broken apology and pleas to come back to the pack.

None of it was needed. Artorias would always hold to the creed that the Hallows was open to everyone on the promise of peace. Fern had done nothing against them; in fact, she had been a victim while under his care. He had failed her in that regard. "The gates of the Hallows are always open to you, Fern," he reassured her with gentle tones. "You have nothing to be sorry for. Now we need to get you tended to, quickly." Artorias moved around to Fern's uninjured side and very carefully nudged his way beneath her, slinging the smaller wolf across his back and shifting to adjust her more comfortably and securely. She was pretty light, fortunately, and carrying her weight on his back proved to be no big challenge for the dire brute.

Once he had Fern on his back, he looked to the colorful spotted canine that had helped her get back to them. "It was Kione?" Artorias waited for the confirmation. "Thank you for bringing her home, Kione. C'mon, I want our doctors to look at you too, make sure you're okay. You're a guest of the Hallows now." Taking the lead, Artorias strode proudly back across the border and into his domain, guiding Kione and carrying Fern down the slopes of hills and across the plains back to the castle. His first priority was getting Fern stitched up and Kione checked out. Then he could worry about lodgings and accommodations for them both. Rudyard would be his next task after that and the ass chewing his brother was about to receive for hiding important information from him like that. Then maybe things could start getting back to normal...

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-13-2021, 01:06 PM

Kione’s words puzzle the wounded wolf, as she looks at the colorful dog. Family? Fern doesn’t have a family… that died with Meadow. Kione’s words perplex her but Art’s completely bewilder her. Head turns to look at him, brows furrowing. Nothing to be sorry for? Was… was he listening to what she said? Pain clouded eyes watch as the big wolf steps to her uninjured side, unable to comprehend what he is doing. Her brain is slow, still trying to process what he said. When she catches on to what Art is doing, Fern opens her mouth to protest. She can walk, she walked all the way here. Art doesn’t need to carry her, she can make it. She doesn’t want to be a bother.

However, the words never leave her mouth as her world shifts, pain erupting along damaged nerves in her shoulder as Artorias slings the small wolf over his back. Gray spots swirl and dance across her vision as she clings to him, trying not to vomit the meat Kione had made her eat all over her ride. Eyes clamped shut against the pain and Fern buries her face in Art’s fur as she tries to breathe through the agony. Even with her heart pounding in her ears, Fern can hear Art speak with Kione. Artorias does not sound angry or upset and Fern feels herself relax. Something tells her that everything is going to be okay, that she is safe and no one is mad at her.

As Art starts to move, heading them back to the castle, Fern allows her exhausted body to rest. Gently rubbing her head in his fur, taking comfort in his scent and feeling of safety, Fern drifts away into blissful darkness. Her last thought before retreating is, ‘Maybe Rudy will be there when I wake up.’

"Fern"

Kione

Loner

gems
size
Medium
build
Light
player
Shard
12-13-2021, 01:30 PM

Kione had done his part.  Fern was safe and sound with family.  Kione admitted a small pang of jealousy.  Fern had thought she didn’t have a family but at some point was bound to realize how wrong she was.  Family by blood is wonderful and precious but what she had here was family all the same.  Kione’s family was dead and gone and he was still traveling in the hope of finding more of his own.  Every day he found himself growing more used to being a loner.  
Kione had remained quiet while Art spoke with Fern and all too easily got her on his massive back.  “You got it,” Kione agreed on his name, “and you’re Artorias? That what you go by mostly? Met some wolves pretty stuck on titles ‘n such.” A paw waving away his own personal interest in such things.  Kione followed behind Art, eyes glancing about at the scenery.  It was a nice terrain, the sort he enjoyed for running on.

Kione smirked at the mention of doctors, “Doctors huh? Yah, I need the prettiest one possible.” Kione was behind Art just a bit and to one side, keeping his eye on the balanced Fern on his back, “I’m fine though friend, the bear didn’t lay a paw on me.  My only failing is letting the one under my care get hurt.” Sure, he had joined her fight versus them choosing to take on the bear together but by Kione’s mind once you agree to enter a fight with someone both parties are responsible for the other.  

“I’ll take you up on that guest roll.” Just to listen to other voices for a bit if nothing else.  Later, when they weren’t focused on Fern he’d see if anyone here knew about wild dogs for an idea of where to look next.  After Fern was settled and Kione got some rest it would be time to see if any of these wolves enjoyed games like racing and fighting.  

"Kione"

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

12-14-2021, 04:41 PM

Artorias felt Fern's body tense up as he hoisted her onto his back, then relax when the trip began. A glance back over his shoulder confirmed that she had either fallen asleep or passed out, the monochrome fae now unconscious across his back. Panic clutched at his heart, but when he noticed that she was still breathing he began to relax a little more. He moved swiftly across the plains, leading Kione into his lands while he hurried to get Fern the medical attention she desperately needed. Kione's remark about needing tending to by the prettiest doctor made the brute scoff and roll his eyes. There were only two physicians in the pack currently, and with one of them being his sister, there was no way he was letting Gwyn near the horn dog. Syanna would be feisty enough to handle him though, and she was easy on the eyes with her rare colorations. "I'll be sure to have Syanna look you over anyway," he quipped back. "Consider it a courtesy service, just to make sure you're okay." Without another word, Artorias hurried back to the castle to bring Fern to the infirmary. Time was of the essence, and he was not going to lose another wolf.

One big happy family