size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-16-2021, 12:01 AM

Rudyard sat outside the castle walls, the beginnings of a snare in front of him and Fern next to him.  “So, snares are pretty useful, especially when you’re too injured to hunt well.”  His, still healing damage and now Fern’s shoulder as well.  “The tricky part is always the tying the knot, at least to me.  Fortunately, my pets can help pretty well.”  

Savage, a little Tasmanian devil was wandering about and normally he would be assisting when it came time to tie it but Rudy might see if he could do it with Fern’s help, with more paws that way. Reddy, the red-tailed hawk who actually made a pretty good fight partner and saved him more than once soared the wind currents above them.

Rudyard glanced to Fern as he spoke, remembering yesterday.  It had felt so good when she’d pressed up against his chest when he had laid his neck against her.  On the way back home she had licked him and then somehow it had led to her sharing his room for the night.  Waking up to Fern sleeping beside him had stirred something inside Rudyard couldn’t explain.  He felt different, some of the emotional pains he had been feeling seeming less important.

Now here they were, his giving a lesson and feeling great.  “First part isn’t hard so much as tedious.  Gotta braid several strands together, over and over.” Indeed he had started a few loops together but then waved a paw to it, “you try?”

Rudyard Carpathius

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-16-2021, 12:41 AM

Aqua eyes watch Rudy as he explains why snares are useful. Fern understands the concept and she nods along as she looks over the beginning of a snare. Meadow had tried to teach Fern the arts of healing but the gray girl had never had aptitude and inclination to learn. While Rudy and Fern had made their way back to the castle, Rudy had talked to her about adventures and learning to hunt. Her eyes had been wide with wonder as Fern ponder the possibility of her becoming a hunter alongside him. When the pair had made back to the castle, Fern had been exhausted with dreams of being a great hunter already dancing in front of her still open eyes. However, fear had settle in her stomach as she realized she did not want to leave Rudy. A part of her was afraid that, when she fell asleep, all this would disappear and she would be left alone again.

Rudy had promised her it wasn’t a dream and offered to show her by having her spend the night in his room… with him. Too tired to care what others might think, Fern gratefully followed the mottled gray wolf to his room, moving to lay on his bed of furs and rest. She was restless and fidgety until Rudy had laid next her, placing his head gently on her neck. Fern had fallen asleep immediately and had the best night sleep she has had in a long time. When she blinked her eyes opens, happiness filled her when found Rudy was still there. A profound sense of relief had taken over and she did not want to leave his side. So, when Rudy asked if she had wanted to learn how to make a snare, Fern had, of course, said yes.

Brows furrow in concentration as she looks over the stripes of leather, watching carefully the way he starts to braid several strands together. He waves a paw at for her to take over and Fern nods firmly, determination driving her on. Taking the already started loops between her paws, Fern tries to manipulate the stripes using her toes. After several minutes struggling with the leather, Fern manages to get a couple, sloppy loops started. Frustration at herself mounting, Fern sits back and huffs dejectedly. Looking to Rudy, Fern says, “I don’t know Rudy. This is really difficult and… I don’t have cool friends like you do.” She gestures toward the Tasmanian devil and casts a glance to the sky where Reddy circles. Shaking her head, she adds, “Maybe they should help you. I…” she bites her lip not finishing the thought. Sad eyes look away.

"Fern"

Fern has a female stoat companion named Puff. She is always nearby.

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

An icon representing the specialty Trophy Hunter Trophy Hunter

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-16-2021, 02:12 PM

Rudy watches Fern work quietly, letting her focus on it.  He’s well aware of how tricky it is and would probably give up on it plenty of the time without Savage helping out.  At her frustration of the leather not working with her Rudy lowers his head, putting his muzzle under her chin and pushing up with a light attempt at encouragement.

“C’mon Fern, no one’s great right away besides, as you mentioned I mostly have Savage help me a lot.”  Rudy moved the snare to tighten up the few braids Fern had done and slide it back, “Keep trying.  We could always try and find you a pet if you want to help.  Thing is, you do it now and it being slow makes it easier for you to remember the process and you can tell a pet what to do later on.”  Rudy shrugged, “I actually prefer hunting without making snares but, it’s a skill to know when necessary.”

The young man gave Fern a small smile, “When we go hunting most of the time it’ll be without all this hassle, but right now neither one of us are at our best.  Hunting is great to know for those adventuring also.  Need to be able to get a meal.”  Rudy would have been wagging his tail if he had one, for now, it was just a bit of fluff behind his rump that swayed.  When he realized what he was doing the tail stopped moving.  His heart sank some with the awareness of it again being gone.

“Once we make this snare we can go enjoy the fun part.” Rudy tried to shake off the awareness of how foolish he looked without a tail and focus on being with Fern and the task at hand.

Rudyard Carpathius

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

Samhain 2022How many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! Double MasterOoh La LaThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
12-16-2021, 03:38 PM

Head hanging low, Fern feels Rudy put his muzzle under her chin and lift. Aqua eyes met his gentle soft golden gaze and the gray girl feels her body shift to lean into his frame slightly. It has been so long since she tried something new and Fern has always been her own worst critic. His words are gentle and encouraging, boosting the girl’s confidence without being critical. Her smaller body instinctively leans a little more into Rudy, drawing comfort from the touch as well as his words. Nodding her head, Fern watches Rudy tighten the braids as he continues to speak. She tries not to put too much of her weight into him, afraid she might throw him off balance.

Because of the closeness of their bodies, Fern feels Rudy’s tail sway happily. She also feels when he stops the movement and sees the sadness play across his face. It strikes Fern that he might be self-conscious about his bobbed tail. Since Rudy is building her confidence, Fern decides to try and return to the favor. Leaning her head back, Fern licks his cheek, saying, “Thanks Rudy. I always doubt myself. But I want to learn.” Placing a paw over his for a moment, her tail wags happily against the ground, touching his short tail.

Patting his paw, Fern sits up straight, looking to the stubborn stripes of leathers. Huffing determinedly, she once more takes them between her paws and starts to braid. It is slow and tedious but Fern takes her mind off the frustration by saying, “You know, my mom had a companion. His name was Rigel. He was a great horned owl. I wonder what happened to him.” Brows knit together, concentrating on her work. Many annoyed grumbles at herself can be heard.

Needing to distract herself, Fern allows words slip to out as she continues to braid, “You know, I really like your tail Rudy. Sure, it was long and cool before but now it is short and adorable. Gives you more character. I like it. You should wag it more, show it off.” She tries to make it sound nonchalant, as if this is a normal part of any conversation. The last thing she wants to do is make Rudy even more self-conscious about it. Truth is, Fern loves Rudy’s tail and the fact that it is attached to her favorite wolf in the world.

Time passes and it is slow process, but, Rudy’s help and guidance, Fern is finally able to sit back, the leather braided together. Smiling proudly to Rudy, Fern’s tail thumps the ground as she says, “So, what’s next fearless leader?”

"Fern"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-16-2021, 07:23 PM

Rudy liked the feeling of Fern pressing into him, it was a simple thought but a true statement that crossed his mind and caused a warm content sensation within.  His words of encouragement apparently did their work and Fern seems to get a second wind of determination to work on the leather strips.  The larger wolf gave her a small smile, “if learning was easy, everyone would be a genius.”  

Ya know, how many times had he tackled Art, given his sisters a friendly nudge, or even wrap his head about and it was all well and good, a reminder of safety and love in family bonds.  Fern’s touch also felt good but with a strength of awareness that was new, and her smaller paw on his was hardly any amount of weight yet her touch was more solid and of importance than the ground below him.

Rudy’s eyes move to the leather as she tries to lace it again, knowing all too well how irritating the process is.  He’d rather never make a single snare or rap of any kind but, knowing tools of the trade was important.   “So, did Rigel help her at anything?  I bet an owl would be good for a spy at night,” his childhood desire had been to be a spy, and what was it now?

What did Rudy want with his life?  Right at this moment, he wanted to skirt such a deep thought.  Rudy had always known what he believed to happen and thus what he wanted but Oxx had shaken him.  Fern’s next words about his tail shocked Rudy.  Both that she’d bring up the sensitive subject and then her opinion on it.  Rudy watched her face for a few seconds before glancing back down to the leather.  He wasn’t really looking at the leather but debating with himself.

She finished the bit of leather and was ready to move on.  Fearless hero huh? Rudy smirked with a bit of amusement. Rudy tested the braided rope for a moment, pulling and testing its strength as it was, nodding.  “Next comes the fun part." Rudy tapped one end of the rope, “Wrap this, around the other side and form a knot.  Try it for a minute, if you can’t figure it out or if your paws can’t do it then we can bring Savage in.  Gotta make sure you aren’t secretly talented though.” A pause before adding, “and thanks.”  

"Speech"

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-16-2021, 08:49 PM
A roll of her eyes and slight nudge of Rudy’s shoulder is Fern’s answer to his wise words. A smile ghosts across her lips as she starts working on braiding the leather. When he asks about Rigel, Fern says, “He helped mom pick and dry herbs for healing. Said she found the owl while exploring with a winged wolf. I think she said his name was… Mortis?” Shrugging her shoulders, Fern tries to show that she doesn’t necessarily trust her memories or the stories her mother told. The gray girl has never seen a winged wolf in person and she doubts on really exists. Meadow had lived with her head in clouds but Fern tries to remain grounded in reality. Chuckling she adds, “Mom didn’t spy Rudy, she was a healer. Not the most… graceful wolf either. If she did try to spy, she probably wouldn’t have been very good. But Rigel was really cool, I never heard the flap of his wings. Owls are neat. I wish I knew what happened to him.” A small sigh escapes without Fern noticing, just another piece of her past gone forever.

When she sits back, once more shifting her hips to lean lightly into Rudy’s side, Fern watches as Rudy tests her handywork. A happy smile appears when he nods head, glad that her first attempt at braiding is passable. His next words bring with them a sense of dread and the explanation that follows has her groaning inwardly. Tie a knot? He already saw the way she works with her paws, was this his way of trying to trip her up? Rudy doesn’t know she has an ace up her sleeve for this. But, before she starts her work, Fern once more places a paw on his and licks his cheek, letting Rudy know she will always support him.

Sitting back up, eyes sparkling with glee, Fern throws Rudy a playful wink as she takes the braided leather between her paws. Taking her time, pinning one end down while maneuvering the other, Fern loops one side around the other. Then using the other paw to keep the middle of loop trapped against the ground. Fern grabs the loose end with her teeth and pulls. The ends tighten together, forming a knot with a large ring in the middle. Sitting back, a smug grin on her lips, Fern explains, “My mom was a healer Rudy. Learned to tie knots for bandages and herbs when I was little. She tried to teach me the healing arts but…” Shrugging her shoulders, Fern shakes head before saying, “it wasn’t my thing.”

"Speech"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-16-2021, 09:51 PM

“I wouldn’t make a good healer,” Rudy seemed confident in that statement, a small crooked smile on his face, “I’m better at needing healers than becoming,” Rudyard hesitated as he considered his words, “one.” He still finished the sentence.  It had been a funny joke before Oxx but now it stung a bit too much.  Scrapes and trouble that he got out of were funny real damage was different.

“I use to want to be a spy,” It was still a fun notion but Rudy also enjoyed doing things that tended to be flashy and would be very un-spy like.  The best he could do was hobby-spying.   Winged wolf?  Rudyard thought back, brow furrowed, “I’ve seen Mortis before, and yah he was wings.  No doubt on that!”  It was a pretty crazy sight but it seemed equally crazy and sad that he couldn’t fly despite having them.  “He doesn’t fly though, at least never saw him fly and I think I heard he couldn’t.”

She really seemed keen on the owl so, “If you want we can try to find you an owl at some point.  Try to strike a friendship sorta bargain if you want to go that route.  Maybe Reddy could talk with it about the benefits of teaming up with a wolf."  Who knew what Reddy would think of the idea.

Another lick and Rudy thought of returning it but she was already back at work and Rudy chose instead to play teacher for a bit longer, at least until she finished.  Rudy snorted in mock irritation when she tied the knot so easily.  “Student is better than the master,” the motley wolf growled in that same fake irritation.  After the act, he leaned over to lick her muzzle twice to make up for having not returned her kiss right away.

“Well, now we take that and go catch some food for dinner.”

"Speech"

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-16-2021, 10:26 PM

Eyes look up to Rudy as she leans against him, seeing the crooked smile and, for a moment, the cocky wolf that she had first met. Sadness tugs at her heart as his words falter and fade, losing the mirth they had started with. She leans into him a little more, hoping her presence will ground and calm him. It is an act he has done for her before and she hopes it helps him. Listening as Rudy talks of childhood dreams and being a spy. A smile ticks her mouth up as she remembers the few scant months of childhood innocence she had and how she tried to convince Meadow that she was going to be the best fighter in the world. She shares her secret, “When I was little I wanted to be fighter. Strong and unafraid. Able to protect the weak and…” her smile falters, dropping as she remembers her mother’s gruesome death.

Fern’s eyebrows shoot upward as she looks up at Rudy in shock when he speaks of the winged wolf, saying, “You mean… Mortis is real? I… I just thought he was one of those stories she made up to tell me at bedtime. Maybe she was telling the truth more than I knew.” Shaking her head, slightly angry at herself, the gray girl looks straight ahead of her. When Rudy offers to talk to Reddy about finding her another owl friend, the smile returns and she shakes her head, saying, “Thank you Rudy but it is okay. Rigel is gone and so is Meadow. Some things are better left in the past and an owl might bring up memories I am not ready to deal with.” Maybe, in time, she will be but for now, Fern would rather let her demons rest.

When she had pushed away and showed Rudy she knows how to tie knots, his words pull a laugh from Fern. She shakes her head happily until he leans over and licks her muzzle. Twice. The smile she wears takes on a dreamy quality as she looks at him. She asks, “Can we sit here a while longer? I like just being close to you. When I am with you I… feel like everything is going to being okay and that nothing bad will happen. I… just want to enjoy it. Just for a moment. Please?” Fern’s smaller body moves to press into Rudy’s once more, reveling in the closeness of him.

"Fern"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-17-2021, 12:25 AM

Fern’s touch against Rudy was like a soothing lotion against the scars hidden inside of him.  The larger wolf soaked in the feeling of her body pressed into his coat.  If he was lucky someday it would feel normal and he’d forget when it felt special but for right now it was something special to be enjoyed.  “I’ll help  you make your dream a reality,” Rudyard offers, “I’ll make you a strong fighter.”  He remembered his own mom dying and imagined that’s where Fern’s mind had gone.  He recalled hearing of her death and death was a horrible thing at haunting memories.

It was funny.  Was it amusing that she was shocked to hear Mort was real or funny that it was so natural to him?  Winged wolves really weren’t everyday things after all.  A simple nod was given at her decline of the owl.  Rudy lowered his head, licking under her and then on the cheek, “I want to help make you happy Fern.  If you do want something, let me know and I’ll help you get it.”

What she wanted was to be next to him.  His fuzz of a tail twitched back and forth several times before stilling.  Even stub tails could act without his plans apparently.  “Sure.” He had let her down before but she was still going to trust him?  She still felt safe with him even though so much had happened?  She’d seen him near death when he’d failed miserably.  She had been bit by him and cruel words stated to make her flee, and she still wanted to be near him?  “I can’t imagine why you have such faith in me but I’ll do my best to earn it in the future.”

“mmm…” a thought occurred to him after the previous words, “Well, if you want to be a great fighter there will be some pain in it.  You can’t get strong without hard work and some bashing about, but I’ll be there for you.  It will still leave you feeling satisfied, excited, and all over worth it.”  He’d make her dream a reality if it was truly what she wanted.

"Speech"

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-17-2021, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2021, 02:32 PM by Fern. Edited 1 time in total.)

Aqua eyes look out over the plains, enjoying the peaceful moment with Rudy. With her smaller body pressed lightly into his side, Fern feels like everything is right in the world. This feels like a dream, too good to be true. But then Rudy speaks, offering to help make her dream a reality and Fern knows that no fantasy could ever measure up to the life she finds herself in now. Tilting her head back, Fern places a small kiss on his cheek. Softly she says, “Thank you Rudy. Thank you for…” the words trail off as she tries to think of the right words. How can she accurately articulate how much she is grateful for everything that has happened to her since she came to these lands? All she can offer is, “Thank you for everything.”

She presses her head into his chest, closing her eyes for a moment, trying to convey in this simple act, her true appreciation for him and his kindness. When Fern speaks of not wanting an owl, she is unprepared for Rudy’s response. He… wants to make her happy? Fern tries to duck her head away as tears prick the back of her eyes. She has never felt like she deserved to be happy, never thought she would find someone who would make her feel happy. Yet, here he is. She can’t help how her body instinctively presses into him even more as she tries to hide her face and the few tears that fall. After a moment, Fern is able to compose herself enough to say, “Thank you Rudy. I... don’t deserve you.”

When she feels his fuzzy tail wag happily, Fern giggles and looks up to him through watery eyes. His question stuns her and Fern has to ponder how to reply for a moment. Before she speaks, Fern leans up, twisting her body slightly so she can place a paw against the opposite side of his face and gently pull him closer to her. She needs him to look her in the eyes as she speaks. A smile tugs the corners of her lips up even as the water in her eyes shimmers and threatens to spill over. Her voice is gentle and filled with love as she says, “I have faith in you because I see your heart Rudy. You are kind and, while you have been through something horrible, I know you are still kind. You deserve a second chance Rudy. And… I hope I do too.”

Fern really wants to be able to enjoy life and she doubts she would be able to if Rudy isn’t in it. The smile deepens and tears trickle out as she adds, “I love you Rudy.” With the words out in the open, Fern guides his face closer, capturing his lips with hers and seals the promise with a kiss. When she says ‘I love you’ Fern means that she loves him in the bad times and the good. After several moments, she releases him and sits back down to return to leaning into him. She nods her head at his words about making her a great fighter. Her answer a simple, “Teach me.” Fern wants to know how to fight so she can protect those she loves. And Rudy has just jumped to the front of that list.

"Fern"

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

12-17-2021, 02:29 PM

The day certainly wasn’t shaping up as Rudyard had imagined it.  Sure, he liked Fern and it had felt great having her sleep next to him.  Sure, when she leaned into him or touched him with her paw it felt like electricity running up him.  Yet this was just taking her to work on some hunting basics.  How did it get to her thanking him after all his screw-ups?  If he hadn’t bit her she wouldn’t have needed to run off and hurt her should to begin with.  Now here they were with Fern giving him such deep sincere thanks.

When she presses her head into his chest Rudyard lays his head on top of her forehead.  “Don’t thank me yet Fern,” the young man responded softly, “wait until I do what I say.”  Rudy had said he’d do whatever he could for her, offered to take her on grand adventures, offered to make her an amazing fighter, and yet for now they were all words.  Rudy still hadn’t brought into being his very first promise of the future to himself, that he would become a leader in the pack.  If he hadn’t kept that one who was to say he’d keep all the promises he’d just made to her?  

Fern had put too much belief into him so Rudy would have to make it happen.  That was pretty simple, right? It needs to happen so it will.  Mom had to live.  Rudy had to escape Ox.  ‘Had to’ didn’t always work well.   “Silly Fern,” the motley wolf speaks tendely with his jaw still on her forehead, making it sound a bit thick while still soft, “you deserve a lot more than who I am.  I’ll try to be the wolf you do deserve.” A tall order right there.  She had way too much faith in the screw-up he seemed to be these days.

Rudy’s jaw loses its resting spot when Fern turns about and is then pulling his face closer.  Rudy finds little option but to stare in her eyes.  He’s feeling so strangely humble and offset at the moment Rudy’s eyes shift away at first but then he spots the sign of tears.  She was crying?   Before he could speak to try and stop her tears Fern’s words pierce his heart.  Talking about his kind heart and second chance.  Ah, crap.  It’s fine when girls cry but now there were tears in Rudy’s eyes and guys aren’t supposed to get mushy.  She was cutting into those infections scars of guilt and self-doubt.  

Rudyard was offering to make her a great fighter and she comes up with this?  She loved him? Rudy always knew what to say and always knew what to do, well, with a few missed moments.  That said he wasn’t used to being so stunned and having to think over saying the right thing but this seemed too big of a deal to risk messing up!  Then she was kissing him.  Rudyard melted inside.  She loved him, she was kissing him!  The thick-skulled idiot finally just did what felt right, returning the kiss to Fern.  It was time to quit thinking so hard.  His puff of a tail behind him tarted its twitching wag back and forth again but Rudy was far too interested in Fern to pay attention to it.

Finish a kiss and then she goes back into fighter talk?  It was like an ocean wave had come in from nowhere, enveloped him, sent him spinning, and then he was thrown back onto land wondering where the ocean had gone.  Rudy wasn’t of a mindset to fight or talk fights at that moment, he’d been enjoying all her gentle touch and kind words.

Oh well.  He’d have time to get his thoughts sorted out with fighting help. “Sure,” how to help on fighting at this moment? “Lets stretch out first, run some of the borderline, and then see about more real solid training.” They’d run the border and he’d find his focus again and quit feeling like some giddy little pup. It wasn't until he'd start to move away for their run that Rudyard realized there was something else he hadn't said, glancing to Fern, "I love you too Fern."

Rudyard Carpathius

Fern

"Live Like A Warrior"

Loner
Lead Hunter

Master Fighter (290)

Master Hunter (280)

gems
size
Medium
build
Balanced
player
Hermes

12-17-2021, 04:48 PM

Emotions are strange, ebbing and flowing like ocean waves. One-minute Fern had been sad and afraid that was alone. Now? She sees a bright future in front of her and it almost frightens her. Does she really deserve this happiness? Is she worthy of being so close to Rudy? Doubt tries to tug at her, pull her away from this beautiful moment. Her response is to lean into Rudy, letting the touch drown out the dark thoughts. He tells her not thank him and Fern shakes her head, a small smile dancing across her lips as she says, “You don’t understand Rudy. I don’t care if you keep your word or not, I am still thankful for your kindness and your presence. I just…” Head slowly shakes again and she shrugs her shoulders unable to give voice to how truly grateful she is to just be here, with him.

As he rests his jaw on her head, Fern sighs contently, letting her fear melt away. Rudy speaks in a tender, soft voice, reassuring her, in his own way. Then she is pulling his head toward her, telling him why she has faith in him and pulling in him for a kiss. For a moment, the doubt resurfaces, trying to tell her she is stupid and he will never love her. The thoughts scatter as their lips met and Rudy returns the kiss. She melts into the moment as pure glee zips along her nerves, making her paws feel tingly and her face becomes hot. When the kiss finishes and she leans back into him, her request for him to teach her to fight is met with confirmation.

Lost in her thoughts, trying to merge the fact that Rudy returned the kiss with her feelings of love, Fern is shocked when he suggests running the border and then do more solid training. A giggle bubbles out as she says, “I didn’t mean right now Rudy, I just mean, please teach me to be a fighter. I have to become strong so I can help you fight Oxx.” Her voice is soft and light, trying to be encouraging and kind. Fern stills remembers his words but now they a spur of determination because there is no way she will allow Rudy to face that brute without her. However, right now, there are much happier things to think about, like the fact that Rudy just told her he loves her too.

Giddiness floods her, causing a large, happy smile to appear and her tail to thump the ground heavily. Heart pounds and Fern resists the urge to kiss him again. Instead, when moves to pull away, Fern wraps her front legs around his leg that is closest to her and says, “Please Rudy. That can wait. Just… stay here. With me. I want to know more about you. Please?” She pleads with him, not ready for this dream to end yet. The longer they sit here together, the more everything feels right in the world. Fern doesn’t want that to stop.

"Fern"