An icon representing the specialty Anatomist Anatomist

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

LegendarySamhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1By the skin of my teethOverachiever
Festival OrganizerMammoth HunterIce Bridge ExplorerWinnerPride - AsexualBeevent
Double MasterVolcanoExplorer1KChristmas 2019Trick 2019
Promptober 2019
12-16-2021, 06:51 PM

Álarr stepped carefully across the tangled network of roots and onto the next muddy shoreline. He wasn't sure what he was looking for in particular. He was simply out gathering some wild herbs. He'd had the luck to find some bistort root and was now on the hunt for marsh mallow. The strange illness that had swept through over the winter had completely depleted his stores. A familiar scent wafted across his nostrils. Aha! He was close, he could smell it. Álarr leapt over a small rivulet, catching a bit of moss in his horns as he did so. Ack! He shook his head, tossing the moss aside.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

Master Intellectual (240)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

Pride - PansexualTeacherSamhain 2022Statue 5 WorshipDouble MasterWordy
12-16-2021, 07:02 PM

Halo’s previous search for horsetail had been wildly unsuccessful, but that was fine. Though she hadn’t returned home with her intended plant, she’d at least been able to bring some alfalfa back, something that would be helpful once the pups started to arrive. No matter. She’d simply return today after checking on her garden.

It was a grey sort of day, but then, most days for Halo were. Carefully, she made her way into the mangrove, feeling her paws sink in the marshy ground. It wasn’t overall unpleasant, actually. Though she should have learned to be more aware by now, it was hard to really hold her to that when she was so focused on her quarry. She’d just barely stopped to sniff the ground once more when something smacked into her flank.

“Sorry!” Halo’s eyes were wide as she looked up, assuming someone had thrown… something (what was that?) at her. She can see the chunk of moss on the ground, and farther off, her gaze landed on the large man. The tenderhearted creature shrunk back, head low. Great, she’d offended someone else.
[Image: m4UQRpx.png]
[Image: nvtQgrf.gif]

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

An icon representing the specialty Defender Defender

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

LegendarySamhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 1By the skin of my teethOverachiever
Promptober 2019
12-16-2021, 07:13 PM

Álarr jumped as he heard a yell. He had been so focused on what he was doing he hadn't even realized there was someone else nearby. His eyes fell on a small, pale pelted wolf, as well as the moss laying like a discarded rag on the ground near her. Aw crap. "Oh dear, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't realize you were there when I was shaking the moss off my horns." He jostled his head a little, his horns knocking lightly against the lower limbs of the tree he was standing under. "They seem to snag everything unfortunately. What brings you out this way?" Her scent had not gone unnoticed. Armada for sure, but as far as he could tell none of the aggressive warriors were about so maybe he could have a nice conversation.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

12-16-2021, 07:32 PM

Though Halo had done her best to study the different dynamics in the written rules that Sirius had shown her, she wasn't familiar with all of the different scents that came along with them. So far, she'd met the girl from The Hallows, and she'd been nice. That was a smell she'd been able to commit reasonably to memory. The one coming from this man, the large creature with the antlers, had yet to stand out to her. Had she known he was from Fireside, her fear may have been greater. For now, ignorance was bliss.

His apology comes, and she can't help but give a small smile as his horns knocked into the tree. "You don't need to apologize, I wasn't paying attention," her voice was soft. Honestly, he was... a lot to take in. Very large (again, was this the land of giants?) with bright eyes, extensive markings, and of course the horns. Still, it was rude to stare, and Halo was trying her best not to. "I'm looking for horsetail," she explained, "I don't know if it grows out here, but the habitat seems right." Halo was new, and still getting her lay of the land. "How about you?" The question is pleasant, tone gentle.

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Promptober 2019
12-16-2021, 07:44 PM

Álarr listened with interest as the woman mentioned horsetail, feeling much more at ease with a fellow healer. "I know horsetail does grow around here, but I haven't seen any yet." There used to be a clump on the west side but he hadn't seen it when he entered the mangrove this go around. Still, the moisture rich mangroves seemed a perfect place for it to grow. Surely the woman would find some.

"I'm looking for marsh mallow. I can smell it, I just haven't quite tracked it to its source. My name is Álarr. You're welcome to join me if you want. It's nice to meet a fellow healer."

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

12-16-2021, 08:30 PM

Softly, Halo nodded when he mentioned he hadn't seen any yet. Really, she was having a bit of difficulty still, not gawking. If anyone from her homeland had heard of a wolf with horns they would have, likely, informed her that she was out of her mind. But no here he was, clear as day. Halo was still shy as he spoke, giving his name. "Marshmallow... I think they're just starting to flower, I saw some out here yesterday. I can show you?" Halo's offer was quiet, watching the man carefully as he gave his name. Álarr, it felt foreign where it tumbled around in her mind. Was he from somewhere far off, some wild place where they all had horns too? In the moment, she's too shy to ask.

"I'm Halo, it's nice to meet you too." She averted her eyes to a degree, still concerned about coming off like she's gawking at him. Much like she had with Sirius, it's a bit of awe and a bit of fear. "If you wouldn't mind, I would like that." The words were a bit stilted, carefully chosen. She doesn't have as many of the social graces as everyone else seemed to, but that was okay. He posed no threat, as far as she could tell-- and a healer, no less. It was a good sign for the tenderhearted creature.

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Promptober 2019
12-16-2021, 09:15 PM

Álarr swayed a little on his paws, occasionally glancing out at the plant life whenever her gaze would fall on him a bit too long. He could tell she was looking at him and he wasn't quite sure how to deal with that kind of attention. It reminded him a bit of the way Pesto would stare at him some times, although she'd make comments about his body that he never really quite knew how to respond to other than an awkward 'thanks'?

He was grateful when she mentioned that she'd seen some Marshmallow the other day. "Thank you, I'd like that. Just off to the east here yes?" If his nose was correct any how. Maybe if they were lucky they'd find some horsetail nearby. "Have you had good luck using horsetail in a bandage? I've heard of it being used in that manner but I haven't tried it myself."

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

12-17-2021, 04:43 AM

Making comments about someone’s body was rude, in Halo’s experience, but in this case she feels like she needs to apologize. “Sorry, I’ve just… never met someone with horns before. Sorry,” Halo was sheepish. “Are they… common here?” Truly, she’d only been here for a few days. She’d met the Warlord’s son with the wings, but this was yet another mutation that was really cool. There was no judgement, her tone was soft and filled with wonder.

“Just off to the east, but it’s sorta hard to see, here,” Halo moved carefully over the tangled roots of the mangrove, through the water that was only paw-deep. She led the way eastward, toward a small cluster of trees that got a bit more light than the others. Beneath the gnarled roots, tucked away carefully in a spot where they must have been getting just enough sun, the little white flowers with the pink centers sprung up. “I didn’t see them at first, but they’re under the roots,” Halo was grateful for how low to the ground she was, this time. She would have missed it otherwise.

He asks of her experience with horsetail, using it in bandages. Halo stepped back from the marshmallow, allowing Álarr his personal space. “I’ve needed to use it twice, and both times it seemed to be the most helpful thing. Not only did it help the skin knit back together initially, I found that applying it over the next several days helped it heal faster too.” Halo was growing more comfortable, speaking about something she knew… that she knew she knew.

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Promptober 2019
12-18-2021, 11:08 AM

"Oh uh… that's alright." He wasn't sure what to say to make her feel at ease or wipe away the awkwardness of the moment but hopefully that was a start. He considered her question for a moment. "They didn't use to be but it seems like they are becoming more common. I can name about a half dozen wolves I've met with horns." He wasn't sure if it was something to do with the land around here in particular or not. He knew his were the result of some sort of elixer. He wasn't really the sort to believe fully in magic but after this past winter who was really to say?

Álarr followed after Halo, employing his keen sense of smell the zero right in on the marsh mallow. Excellent, he could make good use of this. He started gathering as he listened to the young healer's experience with using horse tail. There were so many herbs and different practices that a healer never could know everything. Even the most experienced healer could learn from a novice if they had more experience in a particular plant. He set the small bundle of marsh mallow plants aside so that he could speak. "That is good to know! I'll have to give it a try myself. If you like I can assist you in finding some. Just let me get this marsh mallow tucked away in my pack." He shrugged the leather knapsack off his shoulders and quickly went about wrapping the plants in a scrap of doe hide.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

12-19-2021, 05:51 AM

Halo had allowed her curiosity to get the best of her, and created an awkward moment between them. It wasn't out of character for her, and she did feel bad about it. Still, he was kind enough to answer her question. "Thank you," she couldn't help but at least offer him some gratitude for it. "I haven't been here for very long yet, I'm still learning about... well, everything." When nervous, Halo is prone to rambling. Sheepish was a good word for her, especially in moments like these. Maybe it was the land that was producing mutations, or something in the water. Much like the sickness that had spread over the land, the source would likely leave Halo stewing in her thoughts when she had spare moments. Considering all she had to learn, these thoughts were another drop in the bucket.

Walking alongside Álarr, she was able to relax a bit more. The tension of the moment had passed, and it seemed she hadn't offended him-- at least not gravely. As he tucked the marshmallow away, her tail wagged softly. "My mom used marshmallow when we were teething, but is there anything else that you've used it for?" The question was soft, not wanting to remove the horned man from his thoughts entirely if they'd tracked in a different direction. Halo also needed to make a mental note to bring a satchel from the store room next time she went hunting for plants, it would allow her to carry far more. "If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate it," she had to respect his time. "I don't want to hold you up, if you have things you need to be doing," the sheepishness had returned, Halo's tone soft as she spoke.

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Promptober 2019
12-25-2021, 02:43 PM

Once he had the herbs wrapped appropriately he tucked them away inside his pack. This would do well to start refilling his stores. He planned to restock on herbs for respiratory infections before moving on towards those that would help with wounds.

Álarr nodded at her question. "Yes, I use a decoction of it for coughs and bronchitis. You can also use it for bruises and sprains but I have other herbs I typically use for those purposes." Respiratory infections were seemingly as common as wounds so he wanted to save what he could of his more effective cough and sore throat remedies for those purposes.

"That's alright, I could use some myself. I Live in a pack of warriors so no doubt I will need poultice ingredients." He slipped his pack back on his shoulders and headed closer to the edge of the water in search of horsetail. They walked for awhile when he spied some upright shoots emerging from water beneath the roots of another mangrove tree. "Over here! I think I've found some."

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

12-25-2021, 08:55 PM

His pack seemed organized, and Halo was realizing that it would do her well to find one as well. Maybe she'd put it on her list of things to search for. Sure, there were the ones in the store room she could borrow, but having her own would be ideal. The pale girl needed to make a list, her head was far too disorganized these days. It was hard to keep track of exactly what she needed and when... Sedna would be able to help. For that, Halo was grateful.

Álarr explained about the marshmallow-- coughs and bronchitis. Halo nodded softly as he spoke, watching the ground carefully as she did. Coughs and bronchitis, right. Bruises and sprains... the pale healer realized the commonality in all of those things. Swelling. Marshmallow could be used to reduce swelling? That seemed to make sense overall. She was grateful for the more experienced healer's company.

His pack was also warriors, that was neat. "Which pack are you from?" Halo's tail wagged at her haunches, moving carefully through the shallows. Semi-aquatic plants, they should be here somewhere. "My pack is warriors too, the Armada was kind enough to take me in." Kind was an understatement, Sirius had damn near saved her life. Halo should have probably been panther food, and he'd bailed her out and offered her a home. The tall, horned man called out from beneath a tree-- he'd found some. Halo picked up a jog, talk wagging. "Woah, I wasn't expecting there to be so much of it," her eyes widened to a degree, colored with genuine surprise.

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Promptober 2019
12-30-2021, 07:27 PM

Álarr scooted closer to the edge of the water. To pull it up from the base he'd need to stick his head in the water which he wasn't thrilled with but he would do what was necessary to help his pack. He stuck his muzzle in the water, fangs severing a few nearby horsetail plants as he pulled them up. Halo asked what pack he was from before explaining that she was from the Armada. He about choked but quickly steadied himself. He set the plants aside and licked at his chin for a moment as he debated about answering. Considering the tension between Armada and Fireside he needed to be careful about his answer. He had gotten along well enough with Hattori of Ashen. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to answer honestly, show what he'd been saying all along. He'd been trying to get around the Armada territory, he did not trespass and Sirius' attack was wholly unnecessary. "I'm from Fireside," he answered simply.

"Yes, there's quite a bit here. Should make for a good haul."

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

01-03-2022, 02:44 AM

Álarr had proved to be good company thus far, and she wasn't about to question that. The girl was rather fearless in sticking her head into the water to grab the plant from the root, with as much useable length as she could. Maybe some could even be transplanted closer to her den... would that be tempting fate? She wouldn't mess with aquatic plants, at least not yet. Maybe that was advanced gardening, and would be a problem for her on a later day. Today, at least, she'd be able to bring some back to have on hand when she needed it. That was enough, Halo decided.

At the strange noise coming from the man with the antlers, Halo's eyes went wide. Was he okay? Alright, alright it seemed to be so. He was from Fireside... Halo had only the vaguest idea of the tension between the two packs. Regardless, he'd been kind to her. Álarr had been good company, even, and Halo wasn't going to let pack politics get in the way of that. "Can I ask you a question?" Halo's words were quiet... she supposed that was a question too, but it was no matter. She reached below the surface of the water again to grab another length of horsetail. "Why don't our packs get along?" The tenderhearted girl would ask someone from the Armada too, when she had time. Maybe it had just been a misunderstanding, right? The inner workings and intricacies of politics were still out of her grasp. Maybe they'd come in time.

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Promptober 2019
01-07-2022, 05:38 PM

Álarr worked to gather a few more horse tail fronds, holding his breath as he dipped his muzzle into the water to sever some. He loathed the feeling of water up his nose and took great care in avoiding that particular discomfort. Halo asked if she could ask him a question and he nodded, at first thinking it would be about the herbs but instead it was about the prickly relationship between Fireside and the Armada. He chuckled a little. "Ah… that is a good question. I'm afraid my brash and troublesome cousin got drunk and peed on Armada's borders some time back." He hadn't been present for the event but had heard a good deal about it. "Needless to say Sirius took it personally. Awhile back I was helping a friend travel from East Boreas to the West. We were going around the Armada and Sirius attacked. I'm sure he will tell you I trespassed but that is not the truth." If Sirius had attacked him as retribution over Jupiter's actions he could almost understand, but it still burned him to have been punished for doing the right thing and giving a healthy space to the Armada border while still being aware enough of it not to accidentally pass.

Álarr tucked away the herbs in his pack and slid it back across his shoulders and sighed before shaking his head. "Fireside is not a pack of saints however. I admit to that. We responded by holding a drunken, raucous party in the woods near Armada's border." He chuckled, remembering chucking a bear head across the borders, a bear head with a rather distinctive marking across its left eye. "I expect the Armada will respond but perhaps not." His expression grew suddenly serious. "Such things seem hilariously small after a horror like the Cursed Winter." He shuddered, still remembering the mushrooms growing from his bones, pushing through his flesh to the air. "I hope we meet again under similar peaceful circumstances. Good luck with your healing." He dipped his head and turned to leave.

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

01-08-2022, 06:05 PM

Halo listened carefully as the man explained what had happened... it made sense. The Warlord wouldn't take kindly to something like having his borders pissed on, and the likelihood that the drunken man had done it somewhat intentionally didn't escape Halo. Politics were hard enough without the fires being stoked by drunken revelry. Sirius had taken it upon himself to send a message, despite Álarr giving their borders space. In Halo's mind, that made sense too. Maybe not the most fair way of doing things, but one that made sense none the less. Her expression remained thoughtful and neutral as he spoke.

Not a pack of saints, she allowed a small smile to creep across her face at the admission. Halo was sure the same could be said for most of the packs in their world. A drunken party in the woods... while not her typical idea of a good time, it sounded like it really could be fun. As a means of retaliation, at least from where she stood, it wasn't the worst thing someone could do. Right, the long winter. It seemed that the feud was still fairly fresh, and yet, lightyears prior. The impacts and implications of the cursed night weren't likely to fade any time soon. "I hope so too... and you, as well." Her words were polite, and there were still a dozen thoughts in her head about his words.

Before Halo could stop herself, she spoke. "Álarr, do you think it's okay if we're friends?" Her words came softly as he turned. It was a child's question, really. One that came in earnest. "You're smart about the healing things and just... it would be nice to have a friend like that." Halo was awkward, not the most socially comfortable. Still, it was the only way she really knew how to ask. While she didn't want to step on any toes higher up in either pack, it was important to recognize that more knowledge would benefit both factions in the long run. The pale healer was shy once more, cautious as ever.

Álarr

Avalon
Beta

Master Fighter (330)

Master Healer (246)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
lunarcat7

Promptober 2019
01-16-2022, 09:00 AM

As he turned to leave Halo asked if it was ok that they were friends. He turned his head back to gaze at her for a moment. Friends was a bit of a strong word considering they'd just met. Though he certainly wouldn't mind meeting Halo again and going on another healing trip. He enjoyed spending time with other healers and exchanging knowledge even if it might be some what frowned upon to share freely. Though from his perspective it wasn't necessarily free. He gave knowledge in order to receive knowledge.

"I can't speak Sirius' mind for him, but I don't think my alpha will care." As long as Álarr wasn't sharing pack secrets or inviting wolves into Fireside without Tyrian's permission he doubted his brother would care. Come to think of it did Fireside even have any secrets? They were a pack that simply basked in existence. Not one for complicated and intricate politics. "Fireside believes in fair trade and I think Tyrian would see an exchange of knowledge for knowledge as a fair trade. You seem a smart and loyal wolf and I'm not interested in prying for inside knowledge of the Armada so I don't see a risk there. But I also know better than to expect Sirius to trust me. I really can't say what he'd think of us meeting again. All the same, I hope we do."

Halo

Loner

Master Healer (250)

gems
size
Small
build
Light
player
Poser

01-17-2022, 10:19 AM
Shoot, she was keeping him. Halo realized it, and was uncomfortable for a moment. Still, as he had been the entire time, Álarr was kind. In all of her awkwardness, the tenderhearted girl was grateful. He'd been far nicer to her than he really needed to. Friends was a strong word sure, but it was nice to know that the option was there. Halo had a habit of thinking in absolutes, fairly black and white. Maybe it would be a downfall for her, but for now, the girl was in okay shape.

"Thank you, Álarr." She spoke in earnest. His words were kind, gentle. The exchange of knowledge would be an even trade, and she would be happy to speak with him again. Healers supporting healers, and... well, he'd called her smart. For someone who was so often hard on herself, maybe Halo needed to hear it. Maybe she needed to hear it far more than she'd ever admit. There was no risk in them speaking again, in Halo seeking guidance if she needed. "I hope we do, too." Soft words and a soft smile.

Carefully, Halo picked up just a bit more horsetail. With a last, fleeting smile to the Fireside healer, she turned to go home.

"Halo"

-exit Halo on foot <3 -