size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

Samhain 2022The Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
03-13-2022, 12:50 AM

Rudy had been meaning to tell Art about him and Fern.  It was kind of a big thing and he’d wanted to tell Art right away but he’d gotten distracted.  Well, today Rudy threw off his normal schedule and made sure to be around when Art should be wrapping up his normal workload, at least at a time Rudy thought would work.  He’d made his way to Art’s room, hanging out just outside of it and this time not trying to make a sneak attack.  If he did it all the time Art would always be on the alert!

Rudy rubbed his head up against the wall, the growing antlers causing his skin to itch and tingle and soreness where these antlers punched through skin.  It wasn’t a bad pain or a bad itch but it was so hard to ignore!  Hopefully, these were the type that stayed in place once grown and didn’t fall off! Rudy didn’t want to do this every year.  He could have gone to find Art but his mind was working through what he’d say.  How did he want to tell this story?  Was he going to start with how Fern had brought up to challenge for the right to see who would ask for them to be mates or just skip over that part?  It was thought worthy of that loopy grin.  

Sure, she hadn’t used a sword that day but it was obvious how much work Art had been putting her through that she’d bested him!  Of course, Fern had kind of thrown Rudy off with her idea so maybe he hadn’t been at his best but that was still his own screw-up if he couldn’t focus.  A deadly thing in a fight to let his emotions mess with his thoughts in a fight.  He had never really expected it all to happen so early either!  Fern was the sort who plowed through with ideas and once she decided what she wanted she charged in for it.  Rudy could be impulsive and rush into things but he also sometimes liked to scheme on those longer-term more permanent plans.  Fern’s speed in the desire to be mates had surprised him but it was a great surprise.  The idea that Fern really loved him so much to want to be mates so quickly.  It gave a really good feeling inside Rudy and he certainly had no desire to ever lose Fern, he wanted her to always be close so…
Now to share with Art.  Bet Art wouldn’t see this one coming!

"Rudyard Carpathius"

Artorias

"I will shield you from the darkness"

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

An icon representing the specialty Fleet-footed Fleet-footed

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

Samhain 2022Running on EmptyRapid Poster - SilverBest BudsSocialiteOverachiever
Auster ExplorerPride - BisexualFestival OrganizerDream WeaverLoserGlobetrotter
UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
Critical Dodge!Ooh La LaLegendaryExplorerWordyIce Bridge Explorer
WinnerVengeanceSnake EyesDouble MasterMammoth HunterCritical Hit!
03-20-2022, 01:13 AM

With all the work around the castle getting their home cleaned up as spring took over the land, the discovery of the young bird that had been living in the tower and was now his ward, not to mention his preoccupation beginning to plan their wedding with Briar, Artorias had a lot going on. He hadn't made himself unavailable per se, but he was a bit of a hard wolf to get a hold of right now unless you were actively seeking him out. Always on the move, always engaged with something. So while he hadn't deliberately been avoiding Rudy, it had unintentionally seemed to work out that way. That was why when the young alpha saw his brother hovering outside his personal quarters at the end of the hall, it brought a bright smile to his face. It looked like the Vanguard was waiting for his Aegis; that worked out just fine for Artorias.

"No matter how hard you rub, they aren't gonna go away," Art teased Rudy while he approached his brother who was busy rubbing his head and growing antlers against the stone walls. He eyed his mottled gray brother cautiously as he reached for the latch on his doors, half expecting a surprise attack out of nowhere. "So should I be preparing to throw you out the nearest window, or do you come in peace this time?" He snickered, cocking a half grin before pushing open the doors to the Aegis' chambers and motioning for Rudy to follow him in. "What's up, Rudy? You don't usually come seeking me out unless you've got news or you're in trouble." So which would it be this time? Did Artorias need to prepare to defend his brother against some wronged foe, or was this a pleasant social call?

"Artorias Carpathius"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.
As his mate, Briar may enter Artorias' threads unless marked Private.

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

An icon representing the specialty Trophy Hunter Trophy Hunter

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

04-19-2022, 10:39 PM

Rudy smirked at Art’s comment on the antler’s not going away, rubbing his head one more good solid time, “oh I know, they just itch all the dang time.  I just hope these things stay on and don’t want to shed every year.”  So he constantly had an extra set of weapons? Nope, just to not deal with them growing back in every year.

Sitting down his larger brother got a hurt look, “I’m insulted Art.  I’d never attack you when the thought of preparing for it had already crossed your mind.” Of course, that’s what so often lead to it having to be a sneak attack.  A roguish grin planned on his lips, “I promise not to attack you during your ceremony.” Even Rudy had lines he wouldn’t cross it was fun seeing who knew Rudy well enough to know what the boundaries were.  

Rudy let his smile fade, a straight look on his face, “it’s bad Art.” The somber expression managed to hold for a dramatic few seconds before grinning, “Nah, just tellin' ya something.” A second’s pause, “So…” oh heck, it was Art so he'd give the real story and admit some of those minor details he’d probably skip with others. “I took Fern out for an ‘adventure’  to the falls down south.  So, we had a good time out there and then as we were coming back Fern gave me a surprise that probably beats any I gave you, or at least close to it.”

Admittedly Rudy preferred the one who couldn’t get surprised and instead surprised others but this was an exception.  “So I asked her what she wanted to do for the day and her response was to challenge me to a spar and the winner got the right to propose.” Rudy paused for effect before giving a sheepish grin, “in my defense, my mind really wasn’t able to focus fully on the fight.  So, yeah Fern won.  Aaaaaand I agreed.”

Rudyard Carpathius

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

UnderachieverThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3HomebodyWealthyHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?!
04-21-2022, 10:54 PM

Artorias gave a small sound of acknowledgement when Rudy mentioned his antlers itching him. He remembered the aggravation his own mutating body had caused him when he began to grow his thicker fur, or the weeks of jaw aches as his bones and teeth grew stronger. He could empathize with his brother's irritation in that regard; it hadn't exactly been pleasant, but the rewards had been worth it in the end. It seemed late-blooming mutations seemed to be of common sorts amongst the Carpathian kids. Rudyard followed him into his room, feigning offense that he would be suspicious of him. Art responded with just a deadpan stare, not needing to say anything to get Rudy to grin and promise to be on his best behavior. "That's what I thought you said," he quipped back with a joking smirk. Art loved his brother, but sometimes Rudy just needed a little gentle reminding of why it was such a bad idea to try to ambush his bigger brother.

When asked about what he had done, the monochrome Carpathian's face turned deathly serious. For a brief moment it had Artorias concerned, fixing Rudy with a hard look when he admitted to doing something bad. What the hell could his brother have done that was so bad?! Instantly on the defensive, Art was already planning how he would have to protect his little brother when Rudy broke out into a grin and revealed his prank. It took him a long moment and a few blinks to process, but when Art realized his brother wasn't actually in any danger, he breathed a relieved sigh, groaned, and shook his head. His brother was incorrigible! Artorias was in the process of putting away some items he'd left scattered out on his worktable in his room while Rudy told him his story. Fern and Rudyard had gone out on an adventure. That was pretty par for the course for them. But what interested him the most was Rudy admitting to the gauntlet Fern had laid down, how he had accepted her challenge, and how he had lost for the right to propose.

Without facing his brother just yet, a knowing smirk crept across Artorias' lips. As with most things, Fern had beaten Rudy to the punch and told Artorias all about the challenge she had beaten him in, but for his brother's ego, he turned around with a wide-eyed look of surprise and a grin plastering his visage. "Well, damn! Congratulations, Rudy! Fern's gonna make an honest man of you yet!" he teased his little brother, closing the space between them and going to throw a foreleg around his sibling's neck to pull him in for a hug. "Should we be expecting wedding bells any time soon then? Or are you two going to take it slow?"

"Artorias Carpathius"

One big happy family

Artorias has two ravens named Corbin and Eira and a fox named Argent. Assume they are within calling distance at all times.

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

04-23-2022, 10:57 PM

Rudy took Art’s flat stare with an easy smile, they both knew nothing would ever stop Rudy from deciding the alpha of the pack needed a good snipe pouncing attack.  How else would Art be sure to stay so alert all the time when at home?  Rudy did him a favor by a surprise here and there!  It was a fun way to remind Art that Rudy loved him, in his own special sort of way.  

A part of Rudy felt guilty it was so easy for Artorias to believe Rudy had found trouble.  He’d sure put his brother through a lot with all of his misadventures but Art had always had his back and Rudy never doubted that would change.  The pack saw Artorias as a proud strong leader but Rudy remembered the pup friend who proudly carried a stick about with where others laughed.  Rudy was proud of how his brother had proved all sword-scoffers wrong.

Art’s reaction to the news was perfect.  Rudy had no idea Fern had beat him to the punch and so hey another surprise for his brother and a good one.  A forepaw wrapped about his neck and the puff tail behind Rudyard swept the floor behind him. “Oh, probably somewhere in between,” Rudy responded with a grin.  “I don’t think Fern will want it to be overly slow,” Rudy said with a small laugh, “I man shoot, I didn’t even get to be the one to offer up the idea of mate.”

“When I met her I promised to take her on adventures so, after wedding I’ll be stepping away for a bit, maybe a season, give her the adventure I promised.  I haven’t told her that part yet.” That part was said brother to brother and as something to bring up as a matter of business.  Rudy was saying after all that two of the pack’s hunters would be leaving for a time and that would affect matters here.  Rudy was sure Art was fine with it but for once in his life Rudy wasn’t going to wait for a last-minute surprise on that.  

Rudyard Carpathius

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

04-24-2022, 01:27 PM

During their fraternal embrace, Artorias had noticed Rudy's puff tail begin to wag with all the young man's enthusiasm, and it warmed the Aegis' heart. He loved Rudyard. From the time they'd been born, he and his brother had been very close. All the play fights, the adventures they went out on, the mischief they'd made and trouble they found, and still even now as adults, Art treasured his relationship with his little brother. Rudy was right in his thinking: so long as he lived, Artorias would always have his back. When asked about the details of their engagement, Rudy grinned and explained how they'd likely take their time, but wouldn't be waiting too long, lest Fern get antsy over the delay. The dire wolf chuckled, knowing Briar had been exactly the same way, and as soon as he'd proposed to her she had already begun the wedding planning process. "Yeah, you're probably right. Ladies do like to get a move on with the romance stuff."

Rudy mentioned Fern being so quick on the draw that he hadn't gotten a chance to offer up the ideas of marriage or being mates and Artorias gave a deep laugh, shooting a playful grin at his brother. "She's beating you to the punch, Rudy! You're slipping, brother. Can't let her keep catching you off guard, or the next thing you know she'll be working you over for pups too!" Artorias strode back over to his worktable to where two goblets and a half empty bottle of wine sat. He snatched the goblets up, then proceeded to fill each with a small amount of the rich, sweet wine he kept in his private reserve. This was a special occasion, and he wanted t toast it properly with Rudy. He didn't actually know if his brother partook of alcohol or not, but he'd rather offer it and be polite.

As Art poured their drinks, Rudy spoke up again and said he had promised to take Fern on an adventure—and that they would be doing so after the wedding. Artorias glanced back over his shoulder at his brother while he stuck the cork back in the wine. "Is that so? So are you requesting permission from your Aegis to waylay both of your duties to the pack, or are you telling your brother this is what you're doing?" asked Art with a raised brow and crooked smile. He pushed the goblet along the table and gestured for Rudy to come join him if he wanted. He was always accessible to his family, no matter what role or responsibilities he took on. "Y'know, this is a big ask. Losing not only two of my most accomplished warriors, but also two of my four hunters as well? For a season?" Artorias took a sip of wine, giving Rudy a pause to process exactly what he was asking. "You know I love you and want you to have fun, little brother—but I have to think of the Hallows too. What do you suggest I do to compensate for the loss of skill in our ranks?"

Curious amber eyes fixed to his brother's golden stare; Rudy had always wanted a taste of more responsibility and decision-making that came with being in charge. Well, now Art would let him get a sample. What would Rudyard say if he was posed with this dilemma?

"Artorias Carpathius"

One big happy family

Rudyard

Loner
High Councilor

Master Fighter (245)

Expert Hunter (230)

gems
size
Large
build
Balanced
player
Shard

05-19-2022, 11:13 PM

So, had Art had it the same way then when it came to Briar and him on how fast or slow things moved along? Somehow he doubted Briar had beaten him to the right of asking for the marriage of course though it would be funny if that had been the case.  Nah, not likely though.  Rudy snorted at the next part, “She got a drop on me that time,” with some extra emphasis on ‘that’.  “She might get harder to surprise than most but no one gets the jump on me easily.” There was merriment to show no true concern whether or not that was accurate.  

“Pups?” Rudy watched Art go to grab the goblets, smirking, “You first Art.  Once I see all the mistakes you make I’ll know what to do right.” The tease was aimed back even as Rudy wondered how he’d manage being a dad.  The idea of a bunch of pups reliant on him… may any higher powers protect them if any of the pups turned out like himself.  Rudy would never get a chance to sleep! “I bet Fern and Briar both will be good moms.” Actually, Rudy paused thinking on that.  Neither Art or Rudy had a father in their past but instead two mom’s.  Well, that shouldn’t matter.  It was just something that hadn’t occurred to him before.  “You ready for that Art? You ready to be a dad?”

The drinks were poured as Rudy spoke and Art pointed out two top hunters leaving the pack at the same time for an entire season.  What would Rudy do?  The motley grey wolf hadn’t expected the question or planned for it but in typical fashion, he was happy to come up with an answer. “Well, you saw of your best hunters.  The pack made do without Fern a long time before she came and I taught her how to fight.  You are right,” Rudy paused the real answer to tease a moment, “It’s really hard to not have me around,” a pause before adding, “or my apprentice and mate.  “So, that proves you can do without one of us for a season already easy enough.  As to me?  Hey, we preserve food, I make a lot of traps and explain how they work.  We can always train others on how to hunt.  You know, I could get inj…” Rudy stopped from finishing that sentence.  Yeah, Art knew he could get injured.  “More wolves should be able to back up hunt anyway.”

“So,” Rudy wrapped his paw around the goblet grinning at Arc before taking a swallow of its contents.  He’d had a drink here or there though he’d never tried getting drunk yet.  He’d have to try it someday. “Art I’m always talking to you as my brother, just my brother who is also the Aegis.” Rudy’s first explanation had just been rough drawn plans that came up as he spoke, ever the used car salesman.  Now as he took another swallow of the wine he thought on it.  “We have time.  I got an idea for a good fish trap a while back I haven’t used.  It should be effective but it’s a boring way to get food.” How did he feel about his own other suggestions, “Fern and I leaving or not,” the young man’s words going more serious, “We should get a few more backup hunters.”

Rudy grinned at Art, one paw lightly touching the cup, “So, how many pups of your pups are coming to me for hunting lessons?” How many little Art’s would there be someday running about the castle?  It’d be great to train his brother's pups.  Then there was what it would be like when Rudy and Fern had their own pups.  “My other main concern is you quit keeping a sharp eye out when I’m not here to attack you.” Welp, see if he’d sold his ideas to Art.  On top of that had Art planned to say yes all along but wanted to see if Rudy would come up with his own work assignments instead of Art giving them to him.  If Art really thought it couldn’t be done then Rudy would relent and go to just one month but Rudy waited expecting Art would agree.

Rudyard Carpathius

Artorias

The Hallows
Lord of Cinder

Master Fighter (877)

Master Navigator (1030)

gems
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
player
Joe

07-04-2022, 01:27 PM

Artorias snickered while Rudy vehemently defended his losses against Fern as sneak attacks. Ironic, coming from the wolf who enjoyed leaping out at him from the shadows for his own advantage. At the mention of pups, however, the mood turned a touch more serious as Rudy considered the idea and mentioned both Briar and Fern being good moms. "Of that, I have no doubt," replied Art with a smile, swirling the wine in his goblet while thoughts ran freely through his mind. The idea of being a parent, a father to a litter of little tiny wriggly wolves, it seemed like such a strange and foreign concept to the young adult. But the more he thought about it, the more he realized it wasn't so farfetched. He and his littermates were adults now, and it was the next big milestone step in his relationship after their marriage. Still, the idea made him anxious. His train of thought was the same as Rudy's: they'd grown up without knowing their father. No male presence to model after, no father figure to emulate. Resin did her best filling in that role, but there had always been questions and something missing. It made Art wonder if that meant he would be a terrible father, or a great one, doing everything he could to fill what he had been missing in his life? Rudyard asked him if he was ready to be a dad and the young Aegis just smirked, taking a sip of his wine as he mulled the notion over in his head. "Maybe I am..."

When questioned about his plans for this extended vacation he and Fern were planning, Rudyard had an off-the-cuff response just as he always did. But this time, it wasn't a joke; Rudy actually had some solid plans in place to help supplement the lack of his two master hunters. They would help train the rest of the pack to be more efficient hunters, show them how to set traps and catch fish too. Artorias pursed his lips and nodded, impressed by his brother's show of forethought this time around. "I agree, everyone in the pack should know the basics of hunting, just in case. We can't rely on you and Fern to provide for the entirety of the Hallows all the time. That isn't fair to you two." Artorias took another slow sip of wine while he pondered the matter at hand. Then he nodded and set his goblet down on the table, fixing his brother with an approving smile. "You've clearly put a lot of thought into this, Rudy. I'm impressed! So here's the deal I'll make you: if you, Fern, and Ezra help train the rest of the pack to master the basics of hunting, I'll let you both go enjoy your vacation without any fuss." It was a fair tradeoff; spend the season preparing the pack, then enjoy a season off together. Artorias gave his mottled gray brother a half smile and raised a paw for Rudy to bump. "Do we have a deal?"

After the deal had been offered, Rudy playfully asked how many of Artorias' future children would be coming to him for hunting lessons. The blue wolf snickered and smirked. "All of them," he remarked with a grin. "I'd want all of them to at least know how to keep themselves fed. If any of them want to pursue hunting as their passions after, then for sure you'd have a few little apprentices shadowing you for a while." Of all his hunters, Artorias valued Rudyard's expertise the most. He'd seen the efforts his brother had put into honing his skills, and while he'd never put down Fern or Ezra, there was a bit of bias towards that fraternal bond the two boys shared. Artorias gave a barking laugh when Rudy mentioned him not staying as sharp once he had kids and the Aegis shook his head with a wide smile. "I think if anything, I'd be even more alert if I have some tiny wolf nuggets running around for me to keep my eyes on! Can't let them get into too much trouble, right?" He shot Rudy a wink, a subtle allusion to the adventures and trouble they'd shared as pups themselves. How many gray hairs had they given their mothers with their antics? Karma would surely have penance in store for him!

"Artorias Carpathius" | "Carpathian" | "Corbin" | "Eira" | "Argent"

One big happy family